Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’ve played the absolute poo poo out of Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies even though I’d probably not recommend them to people since 80% of the moment to moment gameplay is spent watching your ship slowly move from one port to another

I spent all last week home sick playing sunless sea and had to drop it when my ship made port faster than the next event had time to spawn. I looked up the developer, discovered it was the sequel to a browser game, and now I have to sort out some unresolved feelings about neopets.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Stage Beans posted:

I spent all last week home sick playing sunless sea and had to drop it when my ship made port faster than the next event had time to spawn. I looked up the developer, discovered it was the sequel to a browser game, and now I have to sort out some unresolved feelings about neopets.com

I played the browser game (Fallen London) for months and months before I realized I never once enjoyed the gameplay, just did a lot of clicking to try and get another nugget of story, and that I couldn't even complete the story because the devs hadn't finished it. That company is a champion of "tedious Skinner box that dispenses lore instead of rat treats" game design

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

all of you posting about Mega Man Network Transmission while ignoring the worst game from the Battle Network mega man subfranchise, Battle Chip Challenge

it was like a card game except instead of a deck you had a flowchart of like ten things and the game would completely play itself other than two cards you assigned to the shoulder buttons that you could use at will which were basically good for crisis healing. the game was super, super bad, but at the same time the whole boring plays-itself thing made it a sweet game for sitting through boring classes without getting caught

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stage Beans posted:

Yeah I skipped that one but have tried Sunless Skies a few times and bounced off. The writing and exploration is cool but the moment-to-moment moving around and combat is so dull, and if it's building up to something great I'm just not willing to stick around long enough to find out what it is

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

In Training posted:

I wouldn't recommend the Xenosaga Trilogy to anybody but I think they're a good time, especially since they're very short by JRPG standards and each entry has its own unique flavor .

remember when there was gonna be 7 of these things lmao

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
All of the Gundam games. They are nearly all terrible but it’s stronger than me. I must buy and play them all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played a lot of Magic the Gathering's Arena and it put me into an eight month coma.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

i played a lot of Magic the Gathering's Arena and it put me into an eight month coma.

lol its a great game but i have played way too much of that as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

guess what. there are.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fucker posted:

lol its a great game but i have played way too much of that as well.

it's really well made, like basically what i was looking for out of a Magic video game since 1996, but whenever a game's daily rewards make playing it feel obligatory, i decide that it's bad.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rockman Reserve posted:

all of you posting about Mega Man Network Transmission while ignoring the worst game from the Battle Network mega man subfranchise, Battle Chip Challenge

it was like a card game except instead of a deck you had a flowchart of like ten things and the game would completely play itself other than two cards you assigned to the shoulder buttons that you could use at will which were basically good for crisis healing. the game was super, super bad, but at the same time the whole boring plays-itself thing made it a sweet game for sitting through boring classes without getting caught
That sounds like how I played Pokemon as a kid: grind mindlessly while reading Star Wars EU books

I tried really hard to like Network Transmission because it should be amazing but it's really not. However, once your Buster has enough upgrades, it becomes hilariously OP and you never have to use the chips again which is dumb as poo poo but also funny as hell

The actual worst Battle Network is 4 tho, I played it a lot because it was more BN but it's more like more BS, what a trash fire

To turn it around, there's lots of people who hate the fifth BN because they can't stand the liberation missions, but I love them and I love the game, I have played the DS version twice to 100%, by which I mean both team colonel and team protoman

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Marvel Heroes was really terrible on almost every level from technical mechanical design etc but I put hundreds of hours in it. There was just something that hooked me...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

goferchan posted:

Yeah I skipped that one but have tried Sunless Skies a few times and bounced off. The writing and exploration is cool but the moment-to-moment moving around and combat is so dull, and if it's building up to something great I'm just not willing to stick around long enough to find out what it is

The moving gets better once you get a faster engine that can boost and more hold space for fuel but the combat only get more and more tedious because enemies get wayyy more health and upgrading your guns does only slightly more damage

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i'm mad there werent. release the takahashi cut!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i maintain that diablo 3 had really good gameplay from day 1 even if everything else about it was a nightmare

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

i maintain that diablo 3 had really good gameplay from day 1 even if everything else about it was a nightmare

i played cyberpunk 2077 on the playstation 4 and it was fine. people went berserk for no reason.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
during what I now understand was a massive depressive episode I would get really high then go to circuit city and Kmart to shop their clearance sections because they always had games for under $10 and there was so much 360/ps3/wii poo poo I bought that was terrible yet I convinced myself was good because it was so cheap and I was locking myself in my room anyways

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

:yeah: I always liked it despite its many, many problems and happily got the console version later to play with my wife, which had all the many, many fixes included

Another example for me is Devil May Cry 2. By most metrics it's the worst game in the series: bone-dry story with a morose Dante, extremely stiff combat with very few combos, barely any special moves, laughable character progression, damage sponge bosses...

But I played it the most of all the games, because it is so basic. I had the same progression as with other "bad games": laugh at an LP, get curious about how bad it really is, try it out with a buddy and laugh when we do find out how bad it really is, but somehow I keep playing it, this time higher difficulty, then I try the other character, and suddenly I've beaten both stories at the highest difficulty, and even got all the secret rooms. It's just super chill to play it mashing buttons forever, trying to get better at a system that honestly doesn't really offer much opportunity to do so, while watching something on the side.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Bicyclops posted:

this is my story but it's Hearthstone and 2 years, serious stockholm syndrome

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Simply Simon posted:

The actual worst Battle Network is 4 tho, I played it a lot because it was more BN but it's more like more BS, what a trash fire

To turn it around, there's lots of people who hate the fifth BN because they can't stand the liberation missions, but I love them and I love the game, I have played the DS version twice to 100%, by which I mean both team colonel and team protoman

bn4 is garbage and i still have no idea how they managed to make a game that bad coming off of how good bn3 was. bn5 ruled though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wes Warhammer posted:

bn4 is garbage and i still have no idea how they managed to make a game that bad coming off of how good bn3 was. bn5 ruled though
I know one guy (who did an LP...not famous tho I don't think) who really liked BN4 because it had the best competitive multiplayer in his opinion, so that's maybe a small part of the reason: they tried to make a good PvP system so all the chips are weird niche nonsense only useful against other players. Also they re-did the graphics engine so they ran out of time to make a large and varied world, instead they padded the game by making it require three playthroughs to get everything, Diablo 2-style (as in, every loop gets harder like Nightmare/Hell difficulty)

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Xenosaga sucks. Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy, on the other hand...

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
doing the happy wiggle dance in muh chair to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_N7WgxEoI8

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

i thought so too. it turned into a good game 2 or 3 years after it came out when they made item sets do interesting stuff like in diablo 2

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

i got gifted Diablo 3 and spent a good chunk of my sophomore year of college enjoying it both solo and co-op, possibly by virtue of not having played 1 and 2

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

correct

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I know one guy (who did an LP...not famous tho I don't think) who really liked BN4 because it had the best competitive multiplayer in his opinion, so that's maybe a small part of the reason: they tried to make a good PvP system so all the chips are weird niche nonsense only useful against other players. Also they re-did the graphics engine so they ran out of time to make a large and varied world, instead they padded the game by making it require three playthroughs to get everything, Diablo 2-style (as in, every loop gets harder like Nightmare/Hell difficulty)

sounds like youre a pretty big wheel down at the lp community

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

That’s wrong. Well I guess not but I call it undiablolike gameplay which isn’t what I want out of a game like this unless I need something to occupy the time my fat, dense shits take to come out safely.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Marvel Heroes was really terrible on almost every level from technical mechanical design etc but I put hundreds of hours in it. There was just something that hooked me...

If that’s the Diablo one I liked it too.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I loved New Vegas so much I got the platinum on ps3.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

I loved New Vegas so much I got the platinum on ps3.

yeah what a terrible game

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yeah what a terrible game

On the ps3, yeah. Crashed every 10-15 minutes after your save file got big enough

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

On the ps3, yeah. Crashed every 10-15 minutes after your save file got big enough

lol

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

High-intensity interval gaming

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

developing the most advance 100% speedrun route just to keep the save file small

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
this weird poo poo i played when i was, like, 4. it's not hard in the sense where there's actual challenge behind it, but rather because there are bullshit traps that you will run into and have to keep memorizing in order to get further into the level. despite that, i still find myself opening up DOSbox to play it every couple of years for some reason

https://youtu.be/EfFf6zoBk_k?t=619 i will say that this game has probably the funniest death scream in absolutely any game i've ever played

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 25, 2021

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Fungah! posted:

the famous Let's Play

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

same but I'm still playing it

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda had this about horizon zero dawn until one day I thought about playing it while I was away from home and was overcome with exhaustion, and realized that I actually hated it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For me that moment came when I looked at the box art.