Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is there a metric unit fo r freakin post quality folks???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

You use the thumb to point at whatever number you're at, if I'm interpreting that pic correctly

And then you count normally with your right hand to keep track of how many 12s you got. That's why hours have 60 minutes and minutes have 60 seconds.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

is there a metric unit fo r freakin post quality folks???

the bigpeeler

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

aphid_licker posted:

You use the thumb to point at whatever number you're at, if I'm interpreting that pic correctly

God drat those people were smart af

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

I believe you meant, " golden man babies" goonsir

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Elman posted:

And then you count normally with your right hand to keep track of how many 12s you got. That's why hours have 60 minutes and minutes have 60 seconds.

This is pretty sweet. If you count your 12s with the same technique, you can count up to 12 * 12 + 12 = 156 on your fingers

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Owl guy comes off as unhinged, is this imperials fault or metrics?

Ban all units of measurement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOWIMJkKpc

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

I believe you meant, " golden man babies" goonsir

one bigpeeler is ten golden manbabies. the “goldmined thread” unit containing 5 golden manbabies is recognized by the general conference on weights and measures but they recommend its deprecation

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Imperial must be preserved in order to piss off the kind of people capable of becoming a Fandom for unit conversions.

crimedog posted:

This is pretty sweet. If you count your 12s with the same technique, you can count up to 12 * 12 + 12 = 156 on your fingers

Base 12 is historically really common and it is very very bizarre that people attribute base 10's current dominance to anatomy instead of history given the evidence we have.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I suppose if you really wanted to get nuts counting with your fingers, just do 10-bit binary for 2^10 = 1024.

We really are merging with machines

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

crimedog posted:

I suppose if you really wanted to get nuts counting with your fingers, just do 10-bit binary for 2^10 = 1024.

We really are merging with machines

1023 unless you're a dude I guess

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I will say in Metrics defense that pounds vs kilos are both equally abstract so metric wins for ease of conversion to larger sizes

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Abongination posted:

Owl guy comes off as unhinged, is this imperials fault or metrics?

it's partly because arguments in favor of using only the imperial system invariably sound like puerile hillbilly ignorance while arguments in favor of using only the metric system come across as effete nerd bullshit. either way throwing a fit is for babies.

...but if anyone is actually taking this silly flamewar seriously instead of just shitposting along for amusement, they're even more deranged than both categories and the only way to dispose of of such hazardous waste is to give them a moderator star

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I will say in Metrics defense that pounds vs kilos are both equally abstract so metric wins for ease of conversion to larger sizes

yeah SI is more convenient in general but when I do science/engineer poo poo my take is "meh?" because units are arbitrary and meaningless and I deal in whatever units I encounter. don't need to visualize or care about anything, I just throw math at the problems until I run out of problems.

btw the largest unit of mass is ur-mom

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

silentsnack posted:

btw the largest unit of mass is a metric ur-mom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elman posted:

The second division of the hour was made millennia after people stopped counting like that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm convinced, HootTheOwl is right.

Platystemon posted:

The second division of the hour was made millennia after people stopped counting like that.
ah hah, but what about the first?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

ah hah, but what about the first?

:same:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Platystemon posted:

Yes but it was based upon divisions of an angle, which had been minutes and seconds in a 1:60 ratio for a long time

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The oldest time system I'm aware of is 12 watches per day and 30 gesh per watch, so 360 gesh per day, neatly mimicking 12 months of 30 days for 360 days per year.

Each gesh has 12 hands, each of which is 30 grains of duration, so another layer of 360, giving 129,600 grains per day, compared to our 86,400 seconds per day.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lol at u losers living in 3 dimensions. I only need one unit: length. And it's looooooong

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Funny how metric evangelists still use the same hosed up non-decimal gregorian calendar system as the rest of us. What's the metric unit for hypocrisy?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

6 hours = 360 minutes = 21,600 seconds = time you won't be able to post for if you keep talking about the most boring derail I've ever seen on this God forsaken website.

Have some drone art for your troubles

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Buttchocks posted:

What's the metric unit for hypocrisy?

the liberal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buttchocks posted:

What's the metric unit for hypocrisy?

The Hague

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
What the gently caress just happened in here?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
numbers aren't real.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
Units are attached to measurements which are all approximations amd hardly have any universal meaning when it comes to the cold hard facts of the Real world.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Inceltown posted:

6 hours = 360 minutes = 21,600 seconds = time you won't be able to post for if you keep talking about the most boring derail I've ever seen on this God forsaken website.

Have some drone art for your troubles

Only I have the brains to rule Lylat!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i swear to god, if you people keep posting incorrect things about measurements, my dread power will only grow. beware

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
120000 yards is only 68.18 miles so the imperial system is fundamentally flawed

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
An acre is 43,560 sq ft. Because that sounded like a good idea at the time!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i regularly do work in two units, mm which is pretty standard, and mil which is a thousandth of an inch. im more familiar with that being called a 'thou' but instead i get to explain to people over and over again that mils is not short for millimeter.

this is the future nativists want

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

An acre is 43,560 sq ft. Because that sounded like a good idea at the time!

1 acre is 160 square rods or 10 square chains or 0.1 square furlongs.

what brilliance to invent extra units for 16.5ft and 66ft and 660ft, so many ways to smuggle dick jokes into your survey reports.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

uber_stoat posted:

numbers aren't real.
most numbers aren't real :eng101:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Elman posted:

Just teach them to count the Sumerian way:

I've seen this but the fact that it didn't become the dominant counting system speaks to it's less intuitive nature.

Tulip posted:

Base 12 is historically really common and it is very very bizarre that people attribute base 10's current dominance to anatomy instead of history given the evidence we have.
Common but apparently not quite common enough to become our dominant number system.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
learn to count bitwise on your hands and impress absolutely nobody when you count up to 1023 on your hands

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

learn to count bitwise on your hands and impress absolutely nobody when you count up to 1023 on your hands

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BiVIaoFXgE

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

i measure time and mass in meters, guess my field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

dex_sda posted: