Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kalman posted:

Yes, but you still need to have actually invented something new - it’s really “first inventor to file.”

It is also generally not possible to patent game mechanics. Some patents to such have slipped through but in the wake of the Supreme Court decision on Alice things seem to have tightened up at the USPTO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Warthur posted:

It is also generally not possible to patent game mechanics. Some patents to such have slipped through but in the wake of the Supreme Court decision on Alice things seem to have tightened up at the USPTO.

I'm pretty sure Warner Bros is in the process of patenting "enemies that dont die will remember you and react accordingly" though, which has always seemed kind of insane to me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm pretty sure Warner Bros is in the process of patenting "enemies that dont die will remember you and react accordingly" though, which has always seemed kind of insane to me
Patented, unfortunately. It was approved.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Splicer posted:

Patented, unfortunately. It was approved.

To be fair if you read the patent it's a very specific implementation of it that requires a poo poo ton of resources to actually do.
But it's sadly is still going to scare people away from doing anything similar for fear of being sued.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Pvt. Public posted:

Just wanted to pop in to say, I played one of the prototype copies of this game (under the old name), and I love it. I'm super excited to get a fully printed copy, because the art looks great! Congrats on first day funding!

Thank you :glomp:

I look back at the last 4 years, and feel like I made so many missteps and had so many false starts. Comments like this, though, make my day. The earlier game was good. Not great, but good. I need to be proud of it, rather than slightly embarrassed. It's definitely something I'm working on.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hel posted:

To be fair if you read the patent it's a very specific implementation of it that requires a poo poo ton of resources to actually do.
But it's sadly is still going to scare people away from doing anything similar for fear of being sued.
Yeah, it is easier for videogame mechanics because then it's not just "here are some game rules you can implement with pen and paper", you can also work in how the computing resources play into implementing it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/BasiliskOnline/status/1407898442311954432

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's not like he isn't betting a sure thing here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this read to me like

"we have TSR at home!

TSR at home:"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That's from a transcription EN World did of a video interview with Ernie Gygax btw. Here's the full thing: https://www.enworld.org/threads/ernie-gygax-on-new-tsr-wotc-beefs-trademarks-licensees-5e-more.680877/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some choice bits:

quote:

Why A New TSR?

TSR has been gone. There's a ton of artists and game designers and people that play..... and recently they were dissed for being old-fashioned, possibly anti modern trends, and enforcing, or even having the concepts of gender identity (laughs).

All I'm trying to do is fill in the stripmine, allow this old fertile soil to produce more games and products again. We're not gonna be able to get back the diamond that was Dungeons & Dragons. We'll be able to make things that might have chips of diamond material... we're never gonna see that great D&D diamond again, I don't think.

quote:

How Involved Are You?

With the two other gentleman as well as many volunteers and hopefully an ever expanding membership. This is kind of ... think of like an old British club where you know 'oooh, we sit around with our cigars'. This is gonna be hobby [champions?]

quote:

On Cooperating with WotC

I would hope so but they just put out a big disclaimer recently trying to divorce themselves from the ethics and style of play that was involved in the origins of the game. They're basically trying to say 'we're a better company and a better type of person' than those who started playing. At least that's somewhat of the impression they've given and 'please switch over and be part of the new wave'. You know. Join the pack of lemmings, oh yeah!

.... and the problem is my fighter returns antagonism for antagonism. So that's where we start getting into some difficulties and I'm having to throw a protection from evil up. [Can't make out words] here and there, end of the party, and hopefully someday I'll be able to throw a fireball [can't make out words].

quote:

On D&D 5th Edition

The idea is let's share. The idea is there isn't a bad roleplaying game. 5th Edition to me is kinda like drinking light beer, when you could be having a Guinness. It's still cold ... has calories, some.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeesh. Gotta love the gentlemen's club imagery there.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gotta imagine this is where Frank Mentzer ends up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Ah yes, how dare D&D join the pack of lemmings and move away from (checks notes) gender and racial essentialism.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My prediction is that, because the OSR has already created alternative structures for sharing ideas and publishing, the new TSR won't amount to much.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
drat those sjws enforcing concepts of gender identity?? or even having a gender???

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Excuse me, but I prefer all of my spellcasting and dragon-slaying done realistically, which means there's no gay people acting gayly.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

dwarf74 posted:

Excuse me, but I prefer all of my spellcasting and dragon-slaying done realistically, which means there's no gay people acting gayly.

Or gaily for that matter - if they enjoy themselves, they get put to the sword.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Halloween Jack posted:

My prediction is that, because the OSR has already created alternative structures for sharing ideas and publishing, the new TSR won't amount to much.

Yeah, i'm not sure takes on D&D are anything but an incredibly saturated field, but maybe i guess the TSR name will hit the nostalgia a bit better than OSRIC or whatever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hopefully it will attract all and only the shittier reps of the OSR, acting as a good filter.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah it's a grognard honey pot

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hopefully it will attract all and only the shittier reps of the OSR, acting as a good filter.

It will, but this won't clean the pool; It just adds a dedicated pissing section.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

nuTSR might have been able to dig out an OSR niche 5-10 years ago, but at this point I think all you'll draw is the dross who aren't welcome in the already established nooks as the OSR groups have drifted apart.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I grew up in SE Wisconsin and have fond memories of going to The Dungeon, and since I was planning a trip back there for later this summer, I was considering adding Lake Geneva to the trip. I am no longer considering it. People ruin everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

nuTSR might have been able to dig out an OSR niche 5-10 years ago, but at this point I think all you'll draw is the dross who aren't welcome in the already established nooks as the OSR groups have drifted apart.
Didn't he put out an official TSR magazine a while back? And it was just alright?

I suppose it might appeal to the OG crowd at Dragonsfoot and the like, but I think those guys all believe they ARE Gary and don't want to be told what to do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Apples, trees...

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Apples, trees...

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Was that the same thread where he talked about how killing surrendering enemies was objectively a Lawful Good act, if they were of different race? And how slaughtering non-combatants was also A-OK?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warden posted:

Was that the same thread where he talked about how killing surrendering enemies was objectively a Lawful Good act, if they were of different race? And how slaughtering non-combatants was also A-OK?
mmmmmaybe?

He did a lot of Q&A on ENWorld - a lot of it was really insightful, and then he'd just show his whole rear end in other posts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The myth of the female OSRism.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BinaryDoubts posted:

I actually know her and can confirm she's a woman.

gently caress Canadian libel law.

Ettin lost his libel case because he was under Australian law, right?

Commonwealth inferior, USA superior :911: :smuggo:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ettin lost his libel case because he was under Australian law, right?

Commonwealth inferior, USA superior :911: :smuggo:

I'm pretty sure Ettin settled, but you're right that Australian law wasn't in his favor.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ego Trip posted:

How about we divorce survival and artistic expression? Then people could make art, even if no one else thought it was good, and still not die homeless and in debt.

Or they could smoke weed or play video games or teach kids or something. I dunno, I'm not thier dad.

We should do this, yes, but that's not enough, unless you imagine ars gratia artis is all a creator should aspire to. I am all for single payer healthcare and a universal basic income, but without any copyright, anyone with a couple orders of magnitude more capital than you can still take your exact product and make more money, or even all possible money, off of it. I think you should have a timed exclusive shot at doing something with it, especially now that self-publication is easier than it's ever been.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Didn't Ernie post a massive Fscebook rant(shared in this thread) detailing a lifetime of wild alcohol and drug benders?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don’t feel like there’s any need to judge him for substance abuse when we can judge him for being a chud.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't he put out an official TSR magazine a while back? And it was just alright?

I suppose it might appeal to the OG crowd at Dragonsfoot and the like, but I think those guys all believe they ARE Gary and don't want to be told what to do.

I think so, and yeah a bit problem is that the OSR-type game devs have all moved past straight reprinting the old D&D editions. The only people who would want something like this would be a really small group who aren't satisfied with anything less than the OG stuff, and can justify this as the closest equivalent.

dwarf74 posted:

mmmmmaybe?

He did a lot of Q&A on ENWorld - a lot of it was really insightful, and then he'd just show his whole rear end in other posts.

The screenshot looks like it comes from the Dragonsfoot forum. Q&A Part 2 from there is where he made the other wide-circulated "nits makes lice" post: https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11762 (on page 3.) I'm not seeing anything in matching the :biotruths: post that one, but it looks like there were at least 11 Q&A threads, based on the google results. Most of the ones I clicked on have at least 30 pages, and it doesn't look like there's a way to narrow down and search by poster in them if you're not logged in, so I don't have time to look through each one for a source of the image right now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

The screenshot looks like it comes from the Dragonsfoot forum. Q&A Part 2 from there is where he made the other wide-circulated "nits makes lice" post: https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11762 (on page 3.) I'm not seeing anything in matching the :biotruths: post that one, but it looks like there were at least 11 Q&A threads, based on the google results. Most of the ones I clicked on have at least 30 pages, and it doesn't look like there's a way to narrow down and search by poster in them if you're not logged in, so I don't have time to look through each one for a source of the image right now.
I thought his col_pladoh alias was an ENWorld-only thing? I could definitely be wrong though!

I think that's one of the vBulletin skins ENWorld used a decade ago.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

dwarf74 posted:

Apples, trees...

The thing is a lot of people genuinely live by this kinda thing. Cuz people are followers and its the nails sticking out that get hammered down so stfu and be "normal".

I had a friend whose wife outright said she would rather him go to strip joints than be home playing DnD and other Nerd Games. She also said straight out none of their daughters were ever gonna be playing any of these games period. (Boys grudgingly allowed if they want but HELL NO the girls.)

You can't entirely blame Gary's dead rear end for it. Its a society thing in general. It sucks but people suck. Thankfully the Internet has lead to more folks being at least a little more open to new stuff or not behaving exactly like whatever group they are born into/want to be in acts but its still just how people are more or less.

Hell, just look at Goons about almost anything ever since the foundation of the place. Or Rpgnets sometimes absolutely insane rules that are like a nightmare Right Wing "Safe Space" talking point made real.

Conformity is a sucky thing that way too many people follow consciously or unconsciously. Long as a thing is not causing actual genuine harm (and no EWW ICKY, MY SKYBOSS SAYS BAD, and THIS MILDLY ANNOYS ME are not genuine harm) nobody should care. But as SA whenever any discussion of food comes up shows its uh.. a thing that does. :smith:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Captain Rufus posted:

I had a friend whose wife outright said she would rather him go to strip joints than be home playing DnD and other Nerd Games. She also said straight out none of their daughters were ever gonna be playing any of these games period. (Boys grudgingly allowed if they want but HELL NO the girls.)

Hopefully those girls can find some secret D&D games or some poo poo because they're gonna need some kind of outlet to minimize the trauma of growing up with whatever generates that attitude.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
He's also old as hell. This isn't an out of touch aristocrat whose father purchased him a comission, he's a very early generation X guy, the oldest of whome are 55+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

I thought his col_pladoh alias was an ENWorld-only thing? I could definitely be wrong though!

I think that's one of the vBulletin skins ENWorld used a decade ago.
It is from ENWorld. Its got to be in this thread but I found another post of his saying it:
https://www.enworld.org/threads/q-a-with-gary-gygax.22566/page-91#post-1333187
And this

quote:

Howdy Barak!

Just so. The only limit I placed on female PCS was no Str above 18. In actual history female participation in what would be considered adventuring was virtually nil. i am always amused when history programs on the tube attempt Political Corectness by featuring the only examples of female duelists, pirates, warriors, etc. They represent less than one percent of the whole being considered, and featuring one-armed men in the same roles would be at least as meaningful historically. Frankly, not only did society generally prevent such participation, but I believe most women were generally not the least interested in engaging in such dangerous and questionable activities.

That said, I never enforced the rule in my own game, for the milieu is fantasy, and given that, why have a physical power barrier when there are no others? If any player, male or female, wants to have a female character that is as strong as any male, there is no reason not to allow that.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh
Col_Pladoh
Gary Gygax
Mar 28, 2004