Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

That's not a nightmare, that's a relief.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1316801215083225096?s=21

it would be just like him to do it anyway to gently caress with people, and leave with an everlasting "what if he was right???"

isn't he charged with tax evasion? i'm not sure what intel he would have been silenced for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stexils posted:

isn't he charged with tax evasion? i'm not sure what intel he would have been silenced for

That was my thought.
It's why I think he's more likely to actually commit suicide, but, being the attention whore he's always been, would be very happy to stir up the tinfoil hat community from beyond the grave.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 24, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Volmarias posted:

I went through and read the whole thing. It's reasonable. They need to share information about you to the health department if they want to say you've been vaccinated. It enumerates what, how and with who the info is shared, such as for analytics. The only caveats are that if the company gets bought or something then the privacy policy no longer counts, and a California resident note about requesting the info they provided to advertise to you. I suspect the latter is boilerplate.

Are you disputing that the privacy policy allows the use of family health information for advertising, or are you saying that it’s perfectly reasonable for a state government to say “if you want to access your state vaccination record, you have to let this third party use your health records for advertising, and share your ‘de-identified’ personal info with whatever business partners they want”?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Stexils posted:

He was wanted by the IRS for tax evasion, by the SEC for fraudulently promoting ICOs and crypto pump-and-dumps, and by whomever enforces contempt of court for refusing to pay out $25m in damages to the family of the neighbour he had assassinated in Belize.

Despite being a rich gently caress, he was facing the real possibility of spending the rest of his life in jail. Suicide is not too surprising.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Stexils posted:

I mean you have to remember that John McAfee does more cocaine in a weekend than most hollywood execs will do over the course of their entire lives, and this isn't counting the literal poo poo he ate or all the other mystery drugs he also took while on the run in Central America. In his mind everyone was out to get him because he was crazier than the Joker.

Also he possibly killed a man and definitely was a serial sexual predator and I think that was part of the reason why he was hunted by the Belizean police at one point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
All his skeletons were his own.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Space Gopher posted:

Are you disputing that the privacy policy allows the use of family health information for advertising, or are you saying that it’s perfectly reasonable for a state government to say “if you want to access your state vaccination record, you have to let this third party use your health records for advertising, and share your ‘de-identified’ personal info with whatever business partners they want”?

This is meant to cover things like call to action email from them about something or other. Critically, it does NOT include providing it to third parties. The subdomain etc bit is so that there's no gold fringe complaints that nerds.com was given this info but mail.nerds.com was not and furthermore

A lot of this, including 'aggregation' involves writing out very explicitly that they're going to stick Google Analytics on their page without having to specify exactly how that happens. They can tell investors that there's 50000 users who blah blah blah

E: to clarify it sucks that they needed a third party to do this but the privacy policy isn't terrible per se, and honestly it's information they could already probably aggregate about you (e.g. Target knowing you're pregnant before you tell anyone)

There's stuff that's WAY worse out there, and this probably includes stuff that your government wants you to use because they want someone else to be a payment processor for parking tickets

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 24, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Don Gato posted:

I mean you have to remember that John McAfee does more cocaine in a weekend than most hollywood execs will do over the course of their entire lives, and this isn't counting the literal poo poo he ate or all the other mystery drugs he also took while on the run in Central America. In his mind everyone was out to get him because he was crazier than the Joker.

Also he possibly killed a man and definitely was a serial sexual predator and I think that was part of the reason why he was hunted by the Belizean police at one point.

He did bath salts, like a gently caress ton of bathsalts. Dude was pretty much trying to make artisanal bathsalts as a calling for a better part of this decade.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

skooma512 posted:

Yup, smart devices are a solution in search of a problem. Other than people who literally can't move, voice activated anything is a waste of time at home. What does an Amazon Echo even do? Why would want to bug my own house, at my own expense? So I can have a stereo with a voice assistant? All this poo poo seems like it's just a way to reinvent and repackage the "Next Song" button. I literally work in IT, I know how to set this up, but I can't really see a benefit over just doing it the old way.

I'm relieved to see someone posting this, I keep thinking "am I missing something?" in regards to Alexa and things like that. I never had any idea of why anyone would want or use that in their house except so that their child play "baby shark" over and over just by yelling it out

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Local Weather posted:

I'm relieved to see someone posting this, I keep thinking "am I missing something?" in regards to Alexa and things like that. I never had any idea of why anyone would want or use that in their house except so that their child play "baby shark" over and over just by yelling it out

I don't like the privacy nightmare we live in either, but unless you turn off your cellphone and stick it in a faraday cage the moment you get home you're not being any less spied on by not having the speaker puck/orb

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PhazonLink posted:

the last page had a smart monitor.

Which is a very niche product, PC monitors with TV tuners and so on have existed since LCD monitors became a thing, and never amounted to much of anything. You're already connecting it to a much more powerful general purpose computer, so just run any software on that, instead of on a stupid "smart" monitor that'll need its own network connection for no good reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Local Weather posted:

It's the Star Trek fantasy of shouting "Computer" at your computer to make it do things. No, this is not actually useful but it's a powerful fantasy for the older generation.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's moderately useful if you're cooking and your hands are all covered in sticky bread dough or salmonella-ey chicken guts or some poo poo, and you want to check a recipe or start a timer.
Or you can just print the recipe out on paper and wash your hands before fiddling with the kitchen timer.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Winged Orpheus posted:

I don't like the privacy nightmare we live in either, but unless you turn off your cellphone and stick it in a faraday cage the moment you get home you're not being any less spied on by not having the speaker puck/orb

There is a difference between sharing your data with one company and multiple though. I have Google assistant off because I don't particularly like Google having a record of things I say, but if I was going to get a talking puck I'd stick with Google for this reason.

Clarste posted:

It's the Star Trek fantasy of shouting "Computer" at your computer to make it do things. No, this is not actually useful but it's a powerful fantasy for the older generation.

A few friends and relatives have them and honestly I'm still quite unimpressed by them, they make so many mistakes they are still mostly a novelty outside of a few very simple tasks.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 24, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We have a bunch of Google devices at home and honestly I can't disagree with the privacy concerns.

Was one of those things where we already had Android phones so made sense for a Chromecast in the TV. Then some speakers. Then a hub screen, and now the whole drat house has them.

I totally still do the walking around asking for music to be played like I'm on the Enterprise though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

About the only cloud automation thing I'm interested in at all is Homekit because I understand Apple's motivations better than I do Google's, but the compatibility list is much much smaller.

Home Assistant runs locally and also doesn't support squat, so that's fun.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tracecomplete posted:

I've found Home Assistant supports tons of integrations, far more than Apple Home (which I moved away from due to all the bugs in scheduling that have been acknowledged and won't be fixed). Even things I never planned on integrating with HA are detected like a stereo receiver, TV, nVidia Shield. It's been a real nice experience so far, just don't use a Raspberry Pi with an SD card :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Apples motivation is to lock you into their ecosystem and make you buy new products every year, or at least that's what they pitch to their investors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

What exactly are you trying to use that it doesn't support? I'm really curious as I've been running it for years and have zero compatibility issues with a wide range of devices.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

We should jail their officers.

hear me out.

we do away entirely with corporate fines for malfeasance. and "no admission of guilt." the fine means you're guilty.

people go to prison for crimes, companies as corporate persons should too.

take the amount of the fine, example $5B. divide that by the median household income, example $50,000, and that's the number of years in prison the company receives. in this example, 100,000 years.

they have to distribute that amongst their employees in descending proportionate order of total compensation. highest reward? highest chance you spend the rest of your life in prison. better make sure you aren't breaking any laws.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Clarste posted:

Verbal commands to a computer are worthless without a starship to navigate the galaxy, or at least a holodeck to play in.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Google home has been nice for kids. I have one in their room with 1 smart outlet. I can have it play music at night and keep a light on and have it go off at a specific time. If I hear the toddler wake up and get fussy I can go into my phone and turn the music back on without having to get out of bed. It's also great for time out alarms.

I also have fun broadcasting messages through it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

What exactly are you trying to use that it doesn't support? I'm really curious as I've been running it for years and have zero compatibility issues with a wide range of devices.

I needed to buy an air conditioner last week. Mine croaked on a 90 degree day with an 80 percent relative humidity, and I literally couldn't sit at my desk and do my job. So I went looking, and I could not buy one within 50 miles that Home Assistant supported. I ended up with a GE model that I've got stashed on my IoT VLAN so I don't really care that much but their application is hot garbage, and while it works it is Yet Another App and--you know how it goes. (And it uses secured MQTT, so I'm not MITM-ing it without significant effort.)

I've found that support in general has been disappointing, from the perspective of "I absolutely do not want to think about any of this, just work" device selection. Most of my purchases around the home end up being "poo poo, I kinda need it now and can't wait for it to be shipped"; I've got too much crap anyway. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. seem to not sell much that's easily plugged in? Sure my Hues work but then I go look up anything else that advertises that it's smart, and no dice. So even though I have an HA node in my rack, the out-of-the-box compatibility issues pretty much mean I don't use it.

I would gladly pay them money if they just made things work without having to think about it. (Home Assistant Cloud doesn't scratch my itch.)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 24, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If I wanted to do something with a window mounted AC unit I'd have it on a controlled outlet or plug through. I would definitely not put that device directly on a network, and would only begrudgingly put it on a jailed vlan that has no internet access at all if that allowed me to control it directly.

What level of control are you really looking for other than being able to turn it off an on on a schedule or trigger?

I'm not trying to sell you HA here, I'm generally confused as to use cases like this. As I am with the very existence of Hue bulb type thing other than presuming that's a thing you'd want if you rent and therefore can't install zwave or zigbee switches in the wall.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

What level of control are you really looking for other than being able to turn it off an on on a schedule or trigger?

Temperature control. Mode control (dehumidifier versus cooling). Their app, as lovely as it is, replicates the remote and doesn't need line of sight/an IR blaster to do it. Plus also scheduling, as you mention. Like, for example, I'm going to be getting another AC for the shop. Setting it to dehumidifier mode except during the run-up to when I will be in there? That appeals to me.

I'm not particularly worried about it talking to the internet because my life is plenty internet already, and there's no camera or microphone in there. So I'm giving it access on my IoT VLAN at the moment, which can't see the rest of the home network, and I'm begrudgingly calling it good. I just hate having 5 apps for different things.

Motronic posted:

I'm not trying to sell you HA here, I'm generally confused as to use cases like this. As I am with the very existence of Hue bulb type thing other than presuming that's a thing you'd want if you rent and therefore can't install zwave or zigbee switches in the wall.

I had Hue stuff before I bought a house, and at my last house there were ~30 ceiling mounted Hue BR30s that I pulled before selling it. I just haven't needed a bulb in a decade.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

I think the sharing of vaccine records is at a rubicon of data sharing regulation and would be a great place to start if you wanted to build some sort modern public healthcare record system.

With the following points.

a.) I control who gains access to my health records, [HIPAA]
b.) I should be bale to answer a request for those health records.[Employer /Venue requests for vaccine records]
c.) I should be able to revoke access to those records. [I no longer go to X crooked doctor/clinic. Ticketmaster doesn't need to keep copy's of my records past the relevant need for that data. gently caress sharing my data without my explicit consent]

I can go on a rant 10 pages long about the abysmal data record and identity systems in this country.

But for gently caress's sake we need to start doing something.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1408188445877489670

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It runs an ancient Debian variant, give the security issues of your average SOHO devices like Routers and NAS's this happens surprisingly often.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

New excuse for why you can't get your ticket done

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
TV's are another great example of trying to invent a problem to fit an unneeded solution.

I've gone through CRT to Plasma to HD, etc etc and increasingly higher resolutions but the last really great jump in picture quality was VHS/CRT to DVD/HD. I haven't clamored for better picture quality in some time and Blu-Ray just felt like a luxury. I don't think the leap and the improvement was much more than incremental and I still watch and enjoy my five to ten year old non smart tv's just fine. The blu ray player I have gives me more problems than my regular DVD player and also seems to have more sound issues. Red Box costs me like 2 bucks and doesn't gently caress with me if the internet connection is wonky.

Do we really need curved screens, 3d Tv's, 4k, always online "smart" TV's or 6 more inches of screen? IMO not really but the intent now seems to be to just create artificial demand (see, PS5, Xbox-Series whatever the gently caress). The new game consoles main selling point seems to be slightly faster loading times and slightly better graphics (with the RIGHT tv). Maybe I'm just too old to give a poo poo, a leisurely activity suddenly becomes complicated and I don't notice a huge leap in quality since my eyesight isn't what it used to be but really I think it's just that all the new shiny stuff doesn't enhance my experience enough to really bother with it.

I still can't get sound balanced properly on any of my entertainment systems since things go from teeth shatteringly loud to what-the-gently caress-did-she-say from scene to scene no matter what the media.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SD to 1080p was the really big leap, everything since feels more like small incremental steps.

Regarding the jumps in loudness, I've been really satisfied with the dynamic volume on my Denon receiver, any modern-ish receiver probably has it. Compression is absolutely necessary for watching movies without annoying the neighbors with sudden changes in loudness.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Speaking of inventing problems:

https://twitter.com/RunDaltonRun/status/1408507323031592964

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t even understand who’s making money from this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TACD posted:

I don’t even understand who’s making money from this?

Probably being used to do sales analytics and see how people respond to products.

Either way its loving dystopian and stupid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah the tweets follow-up by showing how it's "building consumer insights" and letting people "interact with brands" and other garbage that makes marketing a pox upon the world.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BiggerBoat posted:

TV's are another great example of trying to invent a problem to fit an unneeded solution.

I've gone through CRT to Plasma to HD, etc etc and increasingly higher resolutions but the last really great jump in picture quality was VHS/CRT to DVD/HD. I haven't clamored for better picture quality in some time and Blu-Ray just felt like a luxury. I don't think the leap and the improvement was much more than incremental and I still watch and enjoy my five to ten year old non smart tv's just fine. The blu ray player I have gives me more problems than my regular DVD player and also seems to have more sound issues. Red Box costs me like 2 bucks and doesn't gently caress with me if the internet connection is wonky.

Do we really need curved screens, 3d Tv's, 4k, always online "smart" TV's or 6 more inches of screen? IMO not really but the intent now seems to be to just create artificial demand (see, PS5, Xbox-Series whatever the gently caress). The new game consoles main selling point seems to be slightly faster loading times and slightly better graphics (with the RIGHT tv). Maybe I'm just too old to give a poo poo, a leisurely activity suddenly becomes complicated and I don't notice a huge leap in quality since my eyesight isn't what it used to be but really I think it's just that all the new shiny stuff doesn't enhance my experience enough to really bother with it.

I still can't get sound balanced properly on any of my entertainment systems since things go from teeth shatteringly loud to what-the-gently caress-did-she-say from scene to scene no matter what the media.

:same:

I work in IT, having to deal with new crap and learning it is half my job. I can do it just fine, but… it’s not worth it. My heavy rear end Toshiba from 2008 is fine, streaming is done with a fire stick, there’s no need for anything more

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Probably being used to do sales analytics and see how people respond to products.

Either way its loving dystopian and stupid.

The comments, holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mannistom/status/1408825918559293446?s=21

How does someone’s brain become so broken?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

business/econ degrees or an inheritance, usually

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
luv 2 engage with my favorite brands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

The comments, holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mannistom/status/1408825918559293446?s=21

How does someone’s brain become so broken?

Dynamic pricing AKA the more people buy it they'll start driving up the price.

Jesus. They want to scarcity price products on demand, that's dystopian as hell.