Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

hahaha I had the same, you would think removing the check from the list removes the weather thing like all the other taskbar related things right? Nope you actually have to check "Turn off".

Consistency.

It's the same as search. Only reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I don't mind having that information on the taskbar but the icons were apparently rendered for a 640x480 display.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
:lol: The Windows 11 event video keeps bombing out on me. That bodes well.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Video is working fine now. I'll like the new snap features a lot, I'm surprised it's taken a decade to let you do it for more than 2 windows.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The youtube stream works fine

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008
Windows 11- remembers where your windows were when you reconnect your dock. Truly groundbreaking.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Also surprised it's taken them a decade to catch up with MacOS to be able to have different wallpapers on the virtual desktops.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
teams integration really feeling like MSN Messenger 2.0 and i'm okay with that tbh skype is trash

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Why does this presenter look so miserable. Also he needs more words than 'amazing' to describe stuff. However, the whole thing is cheesy as hell. I don't care about your childhood home or that you played games with your dad. Lot's of fLuff.

Windows 11 looks cool though. Hopefully it comes out soon.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
This really feels like they cribbed a lot of notes from macOS, and I'm OK with that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
native android apps in windows?? :vince:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Great move with the store. Any kind of app, not being tied to Microsoft's payment platform, and native Android? Amazing stuff, hook it into my loving veins right now. Along with the significantly improved touch interface, Windows tablets have a real chance now, at long last.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So you get android apps from the Amazon App Store not Google Play?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They finally bit the bullet and ended support for 32 bit

I don't see any official mention of TPM being required, I guess that was only in the leaked build as speculated

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

repiv posted:

They finally bit the bullet and ended support for 32 bit

I don't see any official mention of TPM being required, I guess that was only in the leaked build as speculated

Holy poo poo. No more 32-bit was the one thing I really wanted, but didn't expect they'd actually do. Where was that mentioned? I missed some chunks of the announcement video because it kept cutting out on me until I switched to Twitter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22546801/microsoft-windows-11-free-upgrade-details

quote:

All you’ll need is a PC that meets the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11, which is now a 64-bit CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Perfect! :)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Well that presentation was just weird. That dude was about to burst in tears over the amazing Win11. The Xbox lady was a robot. Nadella was the only one who looked vaguely human.

The new UI still looks like poo poo to me. It'll be grand for touchscreen users, but it also seems to be optimized solely for touch.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 24, 2021

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Well that presentation was just weird. That dude was about to burst in tears over the amazing Win11.

Panos always looks like that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Well that presentation was just weird. That dude was about to burst in tears over the amazing Win11.

Some heavy Michael Scott vibes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKTtevC_7c&t=437s

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications
TPM 2.0 is required. I wonder how big of a hurdle that's going to be for people.

Also interesting

quote:

Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use.
Switching a device out of Windows 11 Home in S mode also requires internet connectivity. Learn more about S mode here.
For all Windows 11 editions, internet access is required to perform updates and to download and take advantage of some features. A Microsoft account is required for some features.

There's also good news

quote:

Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 24, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Does that mean 32-bit Office won't work on Win11?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Raygereio posted:

Well that presentation was just weird. That dude was about to burst in tears over the amazing Win11. The Xbox lady was a robot. Nadella was the only one who looked vaguely human.

It was inspiring and made me feel really inspired.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How far back have motherboards been shipping with TPM headers? My Z370 has one but that's not that old

It's more of a problem for laptops I guess where you're just poo poo out of luck if it didn't come with a TPM built in

GreenNight posted:

There's no way they'll pull an Apple and drop support for running 32-bit apps, this change just means you can't install Windows 11 on a 32-bit CPU

The benefit is mainly for developers because once Win10 gets phased out they won't have to juggle two different builds anymore

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 24, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenNight posted:

No 32bit apps will still work, it'll be exactly the same as previous windows 64bit installs. They are removing the option for a 32bit install.

efb:

repiv posted:

How far back have motherboards been shipping with TPM headers? My Z370 has one but that's not that old

It's more of a problem for laptops I guess where you're just poo poo out of luck if it didn't come with a TPM built in

There's no way they'll pull an Apple and drop support for running 32-bit apps, this change just means you can't install Windows 11 on a 32-bit CPU

CPUs for the last 5+ years have come with built-in virtual TPM.

But that's a much stricter requirement than a 64bit CPU, there will be lots of PCs of way more recent vintage than the last 32bit CPU that can't run 11.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 24, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I just spoke with my dad. A Windows 10 update he installed earlier today hosed his system so he's going to install Windows 11. His machine is from 2013 so I don't know if it even has TPM hardware. I really hope that's just for the pre-release stuff because I think they're leaving to many people out in the cold with that one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Raygereio posted:

Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use.
Switching a device out of Windows 11 Home in S mode also requires internet connectivity. Learn more about S mode here.
For all Windows 11 editions, internet access is required to perform updates and to download and take advantage of some features. A Microsoft account is required for some features.

I wonder if this means a user folder is forced to be some hosed up pastiche of the Microsoft account instead of "C:\Users\Bill", which is my main reason for installing Windows with a local account everytime.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

CPUs for the last 5+ years have come with built-in virtual TPM.

Yeah I'm wondering how far back TPM-less systems can be retrofitted with TPM though

TPM modules aren't that expensive but the motherboard needs to have a header for one

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like they're also stealthily showing off new Office in that Windows 11 demo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

My 6 year old H110M board has a TPM header. So if I wasn't planning an upgrade already, I could get a TPM module and install it. But I think doing that, or going into the uefi and enabling TPM, will not be something the majority of users can do without handholding.

I think that TPM 2.0 requirement is going to make the transition to Win11 less smooth then Microsoft might have hoped. Since Win10 will be supported up to 2025 I doubt it'll be a real issue since by then any old TPM-less hardware will likely be dead or thrown away.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 24, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Everything about the new UI screams KDE Plasma to me, from the matt glass and the new icon set to the new start menu.

Not that that's a bad thing; it looks pleasant enough. Not entirely sure about the centred start button (moving targets suck), the tiling is neat, and I really have to use it to see what sort of unexpected annoyances they sneak in.

I'm also not at all looking forward to dual booting it with things that don't play well with secure boot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
re TPM and Secure Boot

Winaero figured out that you could install the leaked 11 ISO without TPM and secure boot, by either converting the installer image into a ESD, or by replacing a dll on the installer with an old win10 one.

I would bet that the same ESD trick will work at release, as ESDs are what corporate places use to make pre-configured install images and such.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guessing our huge inventory of this model PC currently running Windows 10 won't make the Windows 11 cut :D

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, that's good, I'm pretty sure my 8 year old PC doesn't have a TPM module.

OTOH, I waited until Win 7's EOL to upgrade to 10. It's not unreasonable to assume that by W10 EOL this thing will be more than a decade old and if it ain't broke it'll be high time to replace it. Maybe graphics cards will be reasonably priced by then, too.

'Til then, I want thank in advance those of you who beta test Windows 11 for the rest of us.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I had to turn on an Intel setting in my BIOS called Platform Trust Technology to pass the TPM 2.0 check, so it's worth checking for something like that for computers that are failing the Windows 11 check.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
So what's the over-under on if Control Panel will still be around? The Settings menu looks like 10's with a sidebar.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Control Panel was still present in the leaked ISO. That doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, but it seems like a strong indicator that it'll survive the transition to Windows 11...I hope.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TVGM posted:

So what's the over-under on if Control Panel will still be around? The Settings menu looks like 10's with a sidebar.
Over-under is 11.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

How can I tell if my mobo supports TPM 2.0? It's an ASUS Prime Z270M-Plus. I built this rig April 2017 so it's either from late 2016 or early 2017. I have CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 on hand, if those will show me. Otherwise I'll have to check the bios or crack the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In general you can type tpm.msc in the start menu to see if you have TPM available (and which version) but a board that old probably doesn't have it built in

You might be able to buy a TPM module separately and plug it into the board