Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

A small warning! This is a new interview with Sophia Di Martino, Sylvie's actress and it has some spoilery scenes

AND.

TVA deserves all the yikes.

https://twitter.com/LokiOfficial/status/1408062360883970048?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

twistedmentat posted:

At least when the Ark is destroyed, you know a bunch of rich assholes who were all going to leave the poor to die died first

What's the point of the rich being killed if you don't get to eat them?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

A small warning! This is a new interview with Sophia Di Martino, Sylvie's actress and it has some spoilery scenes

AND.

TVA deserves all the yikes.

https://twitter.com/LokiOfficial/status/1408062360883970048?s=19

Seems like episode 3 wasn't filler so much as it was establishing a character who's going to play a big role in the final three episodes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

if that whole scenario is Loki trying to figure out the enchantments it would be funny if Sylvie figures out his illusions, too

Well, Loki was taught by his mother, but Sylvie learned enchanting on her own. Narratively, if both Lokis are roughly equivalent to each other Sylvie would need to be taught illusions (by Loki, perhaps), but Loki might be able to figure out enchanting on his own with enough demonstrations, an accurate explaination, and some time to figure it out, assuming that Sylvie was telling the truth when she said she taught herself how to do it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Seems like episode 3 wasn't filler so much as it was establishing a character who's going to play a big role in the final three episodes.

Yeah, she's Loki's life if he had gotten what he thinks he wants i.e. his parents to be honest with him about his lineage from early childhood. Which, doesn't seem to have gone well for Sylvie. I presume her Asgard, including all it's residents, it's Odin, Friga and Thor are all gone. Then again, if they were disintegrated by TVA charges, maybe she can get a happy ending because bringing down the TVA ends up freeing them for centuries of befuddled servitude.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like the interior decorating

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

tsob posted:

Yeah, she's Loki's life if he had gotten what he thinks he wants i.e. his parents to be honest with him about his lineage from early childhood. Which, doesn't seem to have gone well for Sylvie. I presume her Asgard, including all it's residents, it's Odin, Friga and Thor are all gone. Then again, if they were disintegrated by TVA charges, maybe she can get a happy ending because bringing down the TVA ends up freeing them for centuries of befuddled servitude.

So, if one were to send a TVA charge to branching timeline where the TVA had shown up and placed their own charges, would it destroy the TVA agents/bombs, because they're not part of the natural timeline? Preventing the TVA agents from making their changes? I think I remember dead TVA agents getting removed at the ren faire when they showed us that, so presumably, living ones would be removed, too...

Just saying, you know, if you were a variant and wanted to save your variant asgard, it might be an option

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

XboxPants posted:

So, if one were to send a TVA charge to branching timeline where the TVA had shown up and placed their own charges, would it destroy the TVA agents/bombs, because they're not part of the natural timeline? Preventing the TVA agents from making their changes? I think I remember dead TVA agents getting removed at the ren faire when they showed us that, so presumably, living ones would be removed, too...

Just saying, you know, if you were a variant and wanted to save your variant Asgard, it might be an option

If the writers wanted to do it that way, sure? It's Time Calvinball. Whatever they want to work for whatever reason they want it to work will work.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's fairly obvious that what we're witnessing is Sylvie and Loki battling in his mind for control, given the hints and especially Sylvie's comments about how stronger minds take more time to work on and that they're "still there".

Makes it somewhat surprising they don't end the episode with the reveal that this isn't "really" happening, and giving a different cliffhanger.

One thing I don't really get about Loki is I never really understand what his power level is - if the guy can shoot magic blasts from a distance and even can, fairly easily, hold up a collapsing building, why does he even engage in fist fights at all? Fundamentally its because that kind of action is more interesting for the viewer and cheaper to shoot, but man. It doesn't really make much sense to me.

I do like that Sylvie and Loki have fundamentally different powers due to how they were raised, she doesn't know any of the telekenetic powers he has, but she's got the mind manipulation. Compliments each other well!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mike N Eich posted:

It's fairly obvious that what we're witnessing is Sylvie and Loki battling in his mind for control, given the hints and especially Sylvie's comments about how stronger minds take more time to work on and that they're "still there".

Makes it somewhat surprising they don't end the episode with the reveal that this isn't "really" happening, and giving a different cliffhanger.

One thing I don't really get about Loki is I never really understand what his power level is - if the guy can shoot magic blasts from a distance and even can, fairly easily, hold up a collapsing building, why does he even engage in fist fights at all? Fundamentally its because that kind of action is more interesting for the viewer and cheaper to shoot, but man. It doesn't really make much sense to me.

I do like that Sylvie and Loki have fundamentally different powers due to how they were raised, she doesn't know any of the telekenetic powers he has, but she's got the mind manipulation. Compliments each other well!

It's really not

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

Does that mean she fell asleep inside of his mind?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I have a thought about at least one concern everyone seems to be having. Loki gets into physical fights for the same reason he smashes his glass against the floor and demands another. For all that he sets himself apart from the Asgardians, he is proud to be one and fights and acts as an Asgardian would more often than not, and an Asgaridan prefers a show of martial prowess not magical prowess. Hence he uses his magic mostly for trickery and deception mid combat as well as conjuring knives.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

I have a thought about at least one concern everyone seems to be having. Loki gets into physical fights for the same reason he smashes his glass against the floor and demands another. For all that he sets himself apart from the Asgardians, he is proud to be one and fights and acts as an Asgardian would more often than not, and an Asgaridan prefers a show of martial prowess not magical prowess. Hence he uses his magic mostly for trickery and deception mid combat as well as conjuring knives.

Another thing to consider is that when we the audience meet Loki it's in the first Thor movie and events in the MCU are leading to the situation with Thanos. So the Sacred Timeline is a bit... delicate when it comes to the possibility of variance. Like,

when Loki and Stark confront each other in Stark Tower, instead of grabbing Tony by the throat and tossing him off the side of the building (where his new Iron Man suit saved him) Loki could have used his magic telekinesis to smash Tony into a wall, powdering his bones and killing him instantly. And probably some Loki variant did just that. But the TVA interceded, pruned that Loki and reset the Timeline until they got a Loki who did the throat-grab building toss.

So there might been quite a few spots where Loki used those abilities but because they didn't fit into the Sacred Timeline those actions got reset by the TVA playing movie directors and "reshooting" the scene.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Dumb but humorous theory: Loki and Sylvie enchanted each other at the same time and have Incepted themselves into a shared fantasy. Möbius is actually watching them kick around and murmur unconscious on the floor infront of the elevator.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

A friend of mine went on a rant about Loki being bisexual, and I had to point that the OG Loki literally got pregnant from loving a gigantic horse. Maybe in the next season then?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Wrong thread

Red fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 24, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

Dumb but humorous theory: Loki and Sylvie enchanted each other at the same time and have Incepted themselves into a shared fantasy. Möbius is actually watching them kick around and murmur unconscious on the floor infront of the elevator.

I love it except that It couldn't happen in the TVA because magic doesn't work there. However, I could see Mobius coming upon them on the train since he's able to follow Loki because he bugged Loki's daggers with a tracking device or something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It all being in someone's head would help explain how Loki and Sylvie apparently walked miles plural in 10 minutes.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

live with fruit posted:

It all being in someone's head would help explain how Loki and Sylvie apparently walked miles plural in 10 minutes.

Honestly if it takes you more than 10 min per mile you're probably super unhealthy, and Loki and Sylvie (presumably) are Asgardians

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Loki says, verbatim:

"You know, I don't think I've ever walked this much in my life."

This implies they walked a ton, and so the show didn't need to show them walking endlessly. It was not 10 minutes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Red posted:

Loki says, verbatim:

"You know, I don't think I've ever walked this much in my life."

This implies they walked a ton, and so the show didn't need to show them walking endlessly. It was not 10 minutes.

Indeed.

The Arc was gonna leave at night. It is never stated what time of the day was when Loki and Sylvie arrived to Lamentis. So they probably had a fuckton of hours to reach the town.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sylvie says they have 12 hours before the planet smashes into the moon when she realizes which apocalypse they're in.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks, I had forgotten that line! Anyways, they still walked a fuckton! :v:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
After they had already been walking and Loki asked if she could enchant him and walk for him, there's an announcement that says that the Arc will be taking off in 10 minutes while they're still clearly a ways away and they don't start running.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

Honestly if it takes you more than 10 min per mile you're probably super unhealthy, and Loki and Sylvie (presumably) are Asgardians

Nobody walks 6 miles an hour, that's jogging speed

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a narrative technique to build tension. There was a time limit and they missed it, that's all the really matters.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A mile in twenty minutes is a good walking pace for a healthy adult.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

live with fruit posted:

After they had already been walking and Loki asked if she could enchant him and walk for him, there's an announcement that says that the Arc will be taking off in 10 minutes while they're still clearly a ways away and they don't start running.

There's also a 5-minute launch warning that accompanies the start of the oner that ends the episode, so they somehow get inside the city within 5 minutes, and spend 3 more minutes fighting their way to the gate.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Well, it's a very very very tiny town. :shrug:

edit: lol, it would be the size of my neighborhood, which I can walk from one point to the other in around 10 minutes. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This show should have more dialogue and Tom Hiddleston singing and less action

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Loki falls in the Legion universe and the whole episode is a cool musical

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Desperado Bones posted:

Loki falls in the Legion universe and the whole episode is a cool musical

I am deeply ok with this

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Each legion song number was a psychic battle was it not

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Terror Sweat posted:

Each legion song number was a psychic battle was it not
Most, but not all. There were outliers of psychic battles that weren't songs and songs that weren't psychic battles.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I finally got around to watching Thor: The Dark World today, it being the only MCU film I've not seen. Had been saving it up simply because it was the only MCU film I've not seen, and everyone said it was bad. But they also said that about Iron Man 2 which I found a ton of fun (if utterly inconsequential in the larger scheme of things).

I don't know if it helps that Ragnarok, Endgame, WandaVision (for Darcy) and now the Loki series all add weight to it, but this 8 year old film that everyone dunks on to the point it's a meme was... Good, Actually? Nice character development for Loki, which almost a decade later they're still calling back to, a bunch of solid jokes with Darcy and Jane Foster, and one of the prettiest early MCU films in terms of cinematography.

Solid 3/5 movie that I'd look forward to rewatching in an MCU marathon rewatch. The only truly bad MCU film imo remains The Incredible Hulk, which at least gifted us Thunderbolt Ross making a return 8 years later for an "oh, THAT GUY" moment, and a callback joke in Ragnarok.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

I finally got around to watching Thor: The Dark World today, it being the only MCU film I've not seen. Had been saving it up simply because it was the only MCU film I've not seen, and everyone said it was bad. But they also said that about Iron Man 2 which I found a ton of fun (if utterly inconsequential in the larger scheme of things).

I don't know if it helps that Ragnarok, Endgame, WandaVision (for Darcy) and now the Loki series all add weight to it, but this 8 year old film that everyone dunks on to the point it's a meme was... Good, Actually? Nice character development for Loki, which almost a decade later they're still calling back to, a bunch of solid jokes with Darcy and Jane Foster, and one of the prettiest early MCU films in terms of cinematography.

Solid 3/5 movie that I'd look forward to rewatching in an MCU marathon rewatch. The only truly bad MCU film imo remains The Incredible Hulk, which at least gifted us Thunderbolt Ross making a return 8 years later for an "oh, THAT GUY" moment, and a callback joke in Ragnarok.

I actually really enjoy TDW for the buddy film it is. The only real negative to TDW is that Portman is really terrible, but I have faith in Waititi to get good stuff out of her for the next film. Ragnarok is the best of the 3, because they focus on what works best (Thor's chemistry with Loki) and dumping what doesn't (Sif, Portman). Waititi figured out that audiences weren't going to give a poo poo about Thor as a straight man; he needs to be a little cocky, and sometimes self-deprecating.

I think it's much better than the first Thor film, which, nowadays, by comparison, feels really flat. Iron Man 2 is not good, since you mentioned it, though I think one could argue it's watchable in spite of its weaknesses. On the other hand, Iron Man 3 is awful and completely irredeemable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Iron Man 3 is great!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the problem with TDW is that the only character that goes through anything even resembling character development is Loki

it has neat action sequences and beautiful vista locales and funny moments but also you watch it and basically nothing actually happens

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thor 2 was dope.

Iron Man 2 was pretty cool.

Iron Man 3 was OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Ether or whatever is a really weird mcguffin too. It's a good Loki movie, so when I do my rewatches I mostly watch it for that and Kat Dennings.