Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

jng2058 posted:

Loup: "You dare reverse what I have done!?!"

Annie: "Ha, joke's on you! I haven't been allowed even a shred of agency since I left the Forest!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I really wish we saw at least some of Annie's fusion from her perspective, because right now her saying that she took matters into her own hands doesn't feel earned.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

maybe this'll be the end of the comic

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Definitely starting to feel that way

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"I took matters into my own hands" by doing absolutely nothing, or even attempting to do anything, and letting someone else undo what you did, against my will.

I don't feel you quite understand what your own words mean, Annie.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Annie: "Ha, joke's on you! I haven't been allowed even a shred of agency since I left the Forest!"

HA! Joke's on you. It'saddressed in this comic. Annie took matters into her own hands. :smug: She said so, so obviously that's what happened.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jng2058 posted:

:emptyquote:

Darth TNT posted:

HA! Joke's on you. It'saddressed in this comic. Annie took matters into her own hands. :smug: She said so, so obviously that's what happened.
...oh my god you're right, it does say that. Please let this be a thing or a negotiating tactic or something and not yet more author weirdness

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Annie really hates loup though, so she might just be saying that to get on his nerves.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"I took matters into my own hands"

....but you didn't do anything.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I think she's just saying whatever to assert control of the situation. Loup's convinced he needs the lake water, it's the only leverage the Court has and Annie shouldn't be saying words like "sorry" and risking him trying to suggest the water should be handed over freely as an apology.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 23, 2021

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Oh, no, this just happened because some spooky girl willed it, I had nothing to do with it" sounds weak af tbf

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

madjack posted:

Annie really hates loup though, so she might just be saying that to get on his nerves.

Annie has had so little agency lately that it's really difficult to get a sense of her motivations.

It feels like we've been pulled farther and farther away from her perspective over time.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Annie look like she's about to throw hands with Loup or smack him.

Also Loup seems kind of schizophrenic right now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Donkringel posted:

Also Loup seems kind of schizophrenic right now.
The god who's two different insane gods mooshed together seems a bit schizophrenic you say

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Annie's gonna go super saiyan and whoop de loup.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Warmachine posted:

whoop de loup.

:hmmyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Judging from the smirk, Court Buddha seems to be enjoying the sight of Loup freaking out which is.... interesting.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GunnerJ posted:

"Oh, no, this just happened because some spooky girl willed it, I had nothing to do with it" sounds weak af tbf

Also, Loup may or may not figure out Zimmy did it; probably not worth it to help him come to that conclusion quicker..

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Imagine if the last couple of chapters had been Annie actively working on learning more about the split then after finding a solution making the choice to recombine (for whatever reason), exercising some agency and turning this stare down into Annie actually being able to genuinely say she outsmarted Loup and took back her autonomy with her own hands in defiance of his rage, rejecting his authority in favour of making her own decisions.

Instead we get … her lying about doing that I guess?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

maltesh posted:

Also, Loup may or may not figure out Zimmy did it; probably not worth it to help him come to that conclusion quicker..

Does Loup even know who Zimmy is? I guess if Annie said "Zimmy did it" she would also have to explain who Zimmy is and what her whole deal is and that's like an hour long conversation so I guess I understand why she wanted to skip that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
This seems like a really dumb lie to tell loup and I don't understand what is motivating it at all?

I read this update and was honestly just so... confused.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

coolusername posted:

Imagine if the last couple of chapters had been Annie actively working on learning more about the split then after finding a solution making the choice to recombine (for whatever reason), exercising some agency and turning this stare down into Annie actually being able to genuinely say she outsmarted Loup and took back her autonomy with her own hands in defiance of his rage, rejecting his authority in favour of making her own decisions.

Instead we get … her lying about doing that I guess?

Yeah no argument that this would have been better though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

LOUP: You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Donkringel posted:

She's done it before.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

This seems like a really dumb lie to tell loup and I don't understand what is motivating it at all?

I read this update and was honestly just so... confused.

I can understand why.

Telling the insane godlike being that the court has a girl with near godlike powers might not be a good idea

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
She could have just said she didnt do it and the court didnt do it and didnt know why it happened. If she was gonna lie she could even say she assumed it was something Loup did for some unknown reason.

This just seems like deliberately antagonizing him with bullshit

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

She could have just said she didnt do it and the court didnt do it and didnt know why it happened. If she was gonna lie she could even say she assumed it was something Loup did for some unknown reason.

This just seems like deliberately antagonizing him with bullshit

To be fair, this does kind of seem like something a hotheaded teenager like Annie would do. That being said, I'm not sure I fully buy the reading of her saying this to tease him or establish dominance or whatever. That might just be cus the recent chapters have shaken my trust in the writing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah I mean if she WAS deliberately antagonizing him it wouldn't be the worse thing, I just wish I could be certain thats what it was if so

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CodfishCartographer posted:

To be fair, this does kind of seem like something a hotheaded teenager like Annie would do. That being said, I'm not sure I fully buy the reading of her saying this to tease him or establish dominance or whatever. That might just be cus the recent chapters have shaken my trust in the writing.

I get you. Right now I can't imagine that reading is correct either, I'm entirely sure we're meant to see Annie as saying the truth even though what happened in the comic is absolutely not what she's saying.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dId ShE eArN iT :bahgawd:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blaze Dragon posted:

"I took matters into my own hands" by doing absolutely nothing, or even attempting to do anything, and letting someone else undo what you did, against my will.

I don't feel you quite understand what your own words mean, Annie.

Honestly, I can count on one hand the number of characters in this comic who aren't purely reactive entities being jerked around by The Plot so

Not unusual.

"What are we gonna do? I dunno follow the script and see what happens I guess."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man, I really, really miss the two Annies. They gave the comic such an interesting dynamic and I loved that Tom was daring enough to permanently alter the status quo. Reversing it, especially when they had learned to live it with and it was no longer a problem, is such a letdown.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man, I really, really miss the two Annies. They gave the comic such an interesting dynamic and I loved that Tom was daring enough to permanently alter the status quo. Reversing it, especially when they had learned to live it with and it was no longer a problem, is such a letdown.

I could see the merger working after two Annies had become the status quo, but not really how it was portrayed. Maybe have it be something built-up, like the Annies mutually matured to the emotional point where they want it - maybe one goes faster than the other and it causes problems. Then once they do merge, it'd make sense for her to be fine with it because it would have been earned. Or have it be abrupt (like we got) but then THAT causes internal conflict and strife in Annie. Show her and Kat struggling with accepting the merge, and maybe even trying to find a way to split again. Have Annie go through growth to accept her new self like she had to accept having a double, so her ultimately being fine with being a single person is earned.

Instead we got the worst of both worlds!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Annie: I can explain

Loup: No, I... understand

The End!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She is being truthful when she says she took matters into her own hands, because that's not Annie, that's Zimmy (the person into whose hands the matters were taken) and it was also Zimmy the whole last chapter. Clearly.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I miss Ysengrin.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Sway Grunt posted:

I miss Ysengrin.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Sway Grunt posted:

I miss Ysengrin.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sway Grunt posted:

I miss the laser cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I miss video games