Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh awesome, I'm glad that today's monkeycheese teenagers will have their own show to quote endlessly and annoy their friends with

Isn't Rick and Morty enough for that though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

By popular demand posted:

Isn't Rick and Morty enough for that though?

That's for the neckbeard stroking debate-me Reddit atheists

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Isn’t this already covered by Solar Opposites?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So what I'm getting from you is that there will be no end to the awful references ever, much like the war on terror.

At this point I think I finally get why old people often get crotchety.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HPanda posted:

Isn’t this already covered by Solar Opposites?

I'm gonna LOL if the Apple executives went "Hey this has already been done by that one cartoon, just hire that guy and get him to do the same stuff again" but they accidentally hired Harmon instead of Roiland

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And now, the thrilling conclusion!

Starting off with my favorite line in the whole comic:

A true love story~*

~FIN~

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A few notes on the comic:
  • They made an impressive effort to get across as much of the game mechanics as they could in comic format. Exploding barrels, invisible demons, trap rooms (check out the floor trap when he tries to get the plasma rifle), monster infighting, etc
  • I suspect the writers either only had or played through the shareware version of the game. My evidence for this is mainly that the plasma rifle shoots a big beam of energy instead of BWOINGBWOINGBWOING balls, and they appear to have no idea how the BFG works--when doomguy shoots it, it riddles the cyberdemon with bullets. Also, the cyberdemon is shooting an energy beam instead of rockets. The cyberdemon is described in the game manual, as are the plasma rifle and BFG, but you don't come across any of those in Episode 1, so they probably had to make their best guess at how those worked.
  • No rocket launcher--the only flaw in this comic

Closing thought: they absolutely 100% nailed the essence of doomguy. Look at this face

:allears:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I wish I loved anything as much as doomguy loves ripping and tearing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you tried ripping and tearing?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Give unrestrained capitalism another couple of decades and you will come to enjoy it as much as Doomguy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
And that was it. The bullet was in his brain. He Loved Ripping and Tearing.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey remember those lovely webcomics about the awkward badly drawn aliens reinterpreting everyday human occurrences through fresh new eyes?

Apple TV+ sure hopes you remember!
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/strange-planet-tv-series-dan-harmon-nathan-pyle-1234972713/

finally, a show to rival pickle rick

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A few notes on the comic:
  • They made an impressive effort to get across as much of the game mechanics as they could in comic format. Exploding barrels, invisible demons, trap rooms (check out the floor trap when he tries to get the plasma rifle), monster infighting, etc
  • I suspect the writers either only had or played through the shareware version of the game. My evidence for this is mainly that the plasma rifle shoots a big beam of energy instead of BWOINGBWOINGBWOING balls, and they appear to have no idea how the BFG works--when doomguy shoots it, it riddles the cyberdemon with bullets. Also, the cyberdemon is shooting an energy beam instead of rockets. The cyberdemon is described in the game manual, as are the plasma rifle and BFG, but you don't come across any of those in Episode 1, so they probably had to make their best guess at how those worked.
  • No rocket launcher--the only flaw in this comic

Closing thought: they absolutely 100% nailed the essence of doomguy. Look at this face

:allears:

The BFG's kinda coincidentally not all that off - after the big green ball impacts the gun shoots I think 40 hitscan rays out from your body and that's what causes the post-impact floor green stuff that kills most of the enemies.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Oh awesome, I'm glad that today's monkeycheese teenagers will have their own show to quote endlessly and annoy their friends with

You think if the guy that made those "I made you a cookie, but I eated it" drawings had made them today, he'd get his own show?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Solar Tornado posted:

You think if the guy that made those "I made you a cookie, but I eated it" drawings had made them today, he'd get his own show?

Yes, absolutely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I feel like those alien comics would make for cute 1 minute segments to play between shows on something like Cartoon Network. Can't imagine how it would work as a full-length, or even 10-minute long episode.

Isn't that just, like, every single comedy show about aliens, ever?

Except maybe ALF, ALF was about what if ET was a bum.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This'll be more twee.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The doom comic is the only successful adaptation of a video game into another medium.

E: in fact, the comic is arguably more true to a platonic doom-ness than the video game.

Mr. Sunshine has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Jun 24, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Geico should've snapped em up, they seem like the perfect wacky successor to those caveman commercials

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

What a twist, it was Doom II: Hell on Earth all along.

This would make a good tall-AV:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
My favourite Nathan Pyle:

(It turned out he's a March for Life anti-abortion guy, but it's ok he bc he votes democrat and believes in speration of church and state even though he supports an "overturn Roe v. Wade" org)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I must confess that I'd only previously seen the "Rip and tear your huge guts" page and assumed it was a one-off joke, because no one could possibly write a whole storyline that carries that perfect energy all the way through without wearing it out.

I readily admit I was wrong and am glad of it.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

My favourite Nathan Pyle:

(It turned out he's a March for Life anti-abortion guy, but it's ok he bc he votes democrat and believes in speration of church and state even though he supports an "overturn Roe v. Wade" org)
Forums user Besethoth made this when Nathan's bullshit came up the first time around:

Other edits were particularly good:

I made this edit:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is... is the PowerUp Comics Gamer Pose (tm) based on an embarassing CAD strip?

I mean, that sounds obvious in retrospect, but I hadn't considered it before.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

YES... HAHAHA... YES!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyocentaurs

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is... is the PowerUp Comics Gamer Pose (tm) based on an embarassing CAD strip?

I mean, that sounds obvious in retrospect, but I hadn't considered it before.

I always thought it was based on evil Bill and Ted

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Is someone doing to do a thesis paper and research to track down the first ever use of " Crossed arms, leaned back a bit, with(or without) a smirk"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Really hope it turns out to be a Nedroid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It was me. I invented crossing my arms.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:bisonyes:

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

That’s a perfect blend of unpleasantly creepy and needlessly cynical

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2Gpjo5KL4&hd=1

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > PYF Comic: Check out my sick elephant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I just sort of assumed that elephants had trunk-bones. But of course they don't!
Thanks, WONDERMARK