Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
no seriously at best they've got four or five of the lib favorite republicans and old idiots retiring who can vote for it, who's the other five that are gonna vote for this? Was that not part of the announcement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Buffer posted:

just hire an argument whore to cherry pick some science for you, gussy it up into a few thousand words they don't really understand but will make some people just gloss over, and then get your friendly media to push that that's the only way things can be - should be fine.

i'm an evil whore, i'll do this poo poo

just gonna tell people that carbon dioxide is good for plants and the earth used to be way warmer anyways, and of course it's not like you're actually killing the planet itself- the actual rock will be fine anyways

on an unrelated note, i wonder how much money patrick moore makes these days

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

its only 5 republicans on board right now, right? what’s to stop them from turning back on this (or another 5 just never going for it) now that biden is publicly tying this to a dem only reconciliation

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

If Bernie Sanders says yes to this then he was always a piece of poo poo

Right on time

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i guess y'all don't remember democratic voters clamoring for privatized highways, huh? get out of your bubble

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ugh

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Smythe posted:

i went to a family reunion in kentucky once. that was hosed up. lots of graveyards to survey. dead smythes on both sides of the civil war lol

Yeah, nothing quite like living in a town where the confederate flag was flown at a courthouse that had been sacked confederate sympathizers during the war, lol.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I regret every dollar donated, every door knocked, every post made in favor of Bernie panders.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

no seriously at best they've got four or five of the lib favorite republicans and old idiots retiring who can vote for it, who's the other five that are gonna vote for this? Was that not part of the announcement?

Mitch promised he would get the votes, in the spirit of bipartisanship.

Well he didn't promise, but he gave a positive indication.

Well it was less of a positive indication and more of a throat-cutting gesture but he seems open to the idea

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Khive is right Bernie Sanders is a useless fraud.

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh hey this dude also probably helped stopped britain and france from supporting the confederacy by convincing the tsar to rebase his fleets at american ports

That's really cool. What would that incident or whatever be called? The civil war wiki page is pretty big lol, but it's really cool to learn about those kinda ripple effect things

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

I regret every dollar donated, every door knocked, every post made in favor of Bernie panders.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it was never about him, that's what i tell myself in this hell

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trauts posted:

That's really cool. What would that incident or whatever be called? The civil war wiki page is pretty big lol, but it's really cool to learn about those kinda ripple effect things

One of my favorite little anecdotes is Lincoln considered offering Giuseppe Garabaldi an command but his proposal was to give light cavalry a bunch of guns and send them South with orders to hand them out to any slave they came across, which for some reason made people uncomfortable

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bernie was the compromise, just, y'know, more of one than we'd thought

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

only if her nay is offset by a republican rep voting yes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/RossBarkan/status/1407004403735875589

monkey paw'ing away Yang for the ultimate Biden-Trump fusion

he even has the racism down

https://twitter.com/ZachandMattShow/status/1407026205069561864?s=20 (actually from 2018 but whatever)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seriously though I stick by my reading that losing the primary convinced him that he doesn't have the will of the people on his side and took all the fight out of him, but goddamn he really is committed to licking Biden's boots regardless

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trauts posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_of_the_American_Civil_War

possible european intervention in the war was a whole big thing, driven mostly by napoleon the third and his conquest of mexico

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Good ol' Bernie, teaching another generation that electoralism is a waste of time and energy

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

rguy knew

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

GetFiscal and BabyFinland were right on their podcast to describe the Sanders campaign as a "Bernie ex machina", people were expecting that once in the office he'd just be able to sweep away everything

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sadly I think Sanders still has people that believe in him which is why him lying to them makes him such a lovely person.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_of_the_American_Civil_War

possible european intervention in the war was a whole big thing, driven mostly by napoleon the third and his conquest of mexico

There's also my favorite anecdote of the war, which is near the end, Jefferson Davis went behind all the Confederate governors back to do shadow negotiations with Britain that maybe, possibly, potentially the South would give up slavery if Britain entered the war.

At the end of the day, the Civil War was about slavery, but more importantly, much like World War I, it was essentially over loving Nothing At All.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Maximo Roboto posted:

GetFiscal and BabyFinland were right on their podcast to describe the Sanders campaign as a "Bernie ex machina", people were expecting that once in the office he'd just be able to sweep away everything
Shrug, executive actions are really powerful when we don't have a functional Congress or Supreme Court and even if he didn't pass a drat thing neither does the current rear end in a top hat in the WH

I regret my dollars but only a coward regrets posts :black101:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Davis would have promised that but he was never ever gonna do that, since he rejected Patrick Cleburne's proposal to free and arm the slaves

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The United States being split into two functionally similar nations just with their power divided between them probably would have been better for the world in the long run.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Ruzihm posted:

I honestly feel like this is all kabuki theater to get Manchin and Sinema on board. If the Republicans were smart they'd actually support this bill in order to throw the Democratic moderates a bone of "bipartisanship still exists" and to take heat off the idea of abolishing/changing the filibuster. But they can't help themselves and they're probably gonna pull the plug on it, which puts more heat on the centrists to fall in line for a big reconciliation bill.

The downside of this approach is that normally it'd drag things out and reduce legislative opportunities down the line, but the Biden administration has actually done a pretty good job so far of avoiding extended negotiations and putting down hard dates for unilateral action.

i hate these assholes all the more when they outright recognize governance is all a bunch of stupid theatrics yet still decide theyre just going to loving go along with it anyway

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I hope he taunted the guy and demanded to see his motivation

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yinlock posted:

“When Biden says delivering material aid for people is key to protecting democracy, Bernie believes he means it."

why

he loves his rapist best friend

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

misadventurous posted:

i hate these assholes all the more when they outright recognize governance is all a bunch of stupid theatrics yet still decide theyre just going to loving go along with it anyway

makes their frequent accusations of someone being a "cosplay leftist" ring yet even hollower somehow.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

this is all a bunch of kabuki theatre to get some assholes i don’t even like onboard, and it won’t work, and i recognize that. but i’m still going to give it a thumbs up overall, and i will get really pissed at you if you challenge why i hold this self-evidently stupid opinion

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Davis would have promised that but he was never ever gonna do that, since he rejected Patrick Cleburne's proposal to free and arm the slaves

Yeah, the fact that he didn't confer with the governors before offering this I think shows how serious a proposal it was, it was very much a desperation heave, I think right when Sherman had taken New Orleans and was marching across the South.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1408146057024860161

Lena Dunham has progressed to the stage of her film career where she's making movies about toys from her childhood, which I think we can all agree is the best possible outcome

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

If you live in New York you should vote for the cat weirdo instead of the idpol cop

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
To help kick-start the consideration of (public private partnerships), a new concept has recently been percolating around Washington: “asset recycling.” An innovative mechanism first used in Australia, asset recycling allows existing, publicly-owned infrastructure to be leased or sold to a private partner with the lease or sale revenues used to fund new projects. In Australia, the federal government incentivized recycling during a two-year program by awarding the public agency with an additional 15 percent of the original deal for the new projects. For example, the New South Wales government leased its electrical transmission system to a private partner and used the revenue and the federal grant to fund the Sydney Metro and other vital road and rail projects.

lmao all of the worst policy ideas come from the Aussies :australia:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CongoJack posted:

The United States being split into two functionally similar nations just with their power divided between them probably would have been better for the world in the long run.

The confederacy would have explicitly supported Hitler most likely and would have helped them take Britain

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1408146057024860161

Lena Dunham has progressed to the stage of her film career where she's making movies about toys from her childhood, which I think we can all agree is the best possible outcome

This will be good if it ties into the hosed up Mighty Max universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

makes their frequent accusations of someone being a "cosplay leftist" ring yet even hollower somehow.

it’s the liberal version of “virtue signaling” i think. the idea that you care about something and are unwilling to compromise even when it looks uncouth is embarrassing for them to contemplate, because they don’t actually loving have convictions