Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

poo poo you just reminded me I lost mine recently and need to pick up a new one.

Looks like there are a bunch on amazon during their prime days deals.

This one has pretty good what seem like real reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Gogogo-Range...ods&sr=1-8&th=1

Think I'm gonna grab it.

I have a caddytek v2 that has slope and has the plates to where it can be a non-slope version that tourney legal or whatever. They are always like $99 on ebay and never had a problem with it. So its an under $100 range finder with slope that gets a goon seal of approval.

I also have a friend who makes too much money that uses a Garmin Z82 which is $600 and has a hud that shows you an overview on the left side, which while cool is not worth it.

Also, I can't recommend "Frogger Golf Rangefinder Latch-It Golf Cart Attachment" on amazon enough to strap your rangefinder to the cart, I've never managed to accidently dislodge my rangefinder from the cart, yet its easy to pull it off to shoot a flag.

nerox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

poo poo you just reminded me I lost mine recently and need to pick up a new one.

Think I'm gonna grab it.

I've got about a dozen golf buddies who have all picked up some version of the Gogogogogogo range finder and the actual results are all over the place. A few of them seem to be spot on for distances when you compare them with a $500 Bushnell, but most of them are ~5-15y off, depending on how far away the target is. Whether or not that matters to you is subjective, but if you get one definitely try to compare it with a buddy who has another range finder with distances you trust while you're still in the return window.

A <$100 range finder that's accurate enough is a ridiculous deal and returning something to Amazon is easy, so there's very little risk in grabbing one of these.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

Think I'm gonna grab it.

Oh dude thanks for the heads up - bought that rangefinder so fast. I've been looking to dive into it and 90 bucks is the perfect spot for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Per GolfWRX/articles/reviews etc - It still looks like an advanced player head for the most part (look at the WITB who plays them) and sounds like a bad choice for someone who is fighting a right miss and is only a fit for only like 10% of normal players (per that article). It looks like most of the players get into that head because they can hit a draw too easily and want it relaxed - as opposed to most folks going the other way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Ping's LST drivers are small than the MAX, so they're lower spin and less forgiving. Some pros still play the MAX because their spin numbers are good and/or they want the extra forgiveness.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Ping's LST drivers are small than the MAX, so they're lower spin and less forgiving. Some pros still play the MAX because their spin numbers are good and/or they want the extra forgiveness.

Exactly, here are the first two hits :catstare:

...looks like Big Tony moved over from the 400MAX he was using for several years......

looks like Oostie is sticking with the G400....he can already hook the piss outta the ball (as we saw on Sunday).

Driver: Ping G400 (9 degrees @8.75) (D4)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 22, 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

BCRock posted:

I've got about a dozen golf buddies who have all picked up some version of the Gogogogogogo range finder and the actual results are all over the place. A few of them seem to be spot on for distances when you compare them with a $500 Bushnell, but most of them are ~5-15y off, depending on how far away the target is. Whether or not that matters to you is subjective, but if you get one definitely try to compare it with a buddy who has another range finder with distances you trust while you're still in the return window.

A <$100 range finder that's accurate enough is a ridiculous deal and returning something to Amazon is easy, so there's very little risk in grabbing one of these.

I have a gogogo, it sucks, doesn’t work in even the lightest of fog

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Keyser_Soze posted:

Per GolfWRX/articles/reviews etc - It still looks like an advanced player head for the most part (look at the WITB who plays them) and sounds like a bad choice for someone who is fighting a right miss and is only a fit for only like 10% of normal players (per that article). It looks like most of the players get into that head because they can hit a draw too easily and want it relaxed - as opposed to most folks going the other way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A normal 9 degree G425 MAX with the weight in the middle and set at 10.5 and neutral would be my first suggestion to promote an easy draw.

For your LST club you can try this:

(Big + Setting (1.5°)) Neutral
or
(F+ Setting (1.0°)) Flat

or if you really want to try it at 7.5° and hit it even farther right :newlol: set it as:

(Big - Setting (-1.5°)) and Neutral

What is your handicap range and Trackman numbers?

I know for my 410 Plus 10.5 I leave the weight in the middle and just set it 0° or -1° flat when I want more rollout (like summer) - but I can't hit a slice or fade (even on purpose).

Gotcha, and thanks for the suggestions. ELI5 — what does moving me to flat do for me? I am asking because at most of the fittings I've done people have recommended my irons be upright (and the ping irons I just got fitted for are 1 degree upright). Also, I think that chart is saying (and what you may be saying as well) the effect of a big plus is a neutral lie, not that it's big plus and also set to neutral. The weight in the back of the club can be moved from draw to fade.

I don't have my trackman printout from my fitting or my most recent test, but I can stop by Golf & Ski sometime in the next week and go for free. In general, my driver swing is consistently between 110-115mph and iirc my spin rate was often in the 3-4K RPM, hence the attempt to lower it with the LST. It is possible, however, that the fitter was overindexing on speed and spin, and should have been more focused on consistency (i.e., getting me 260 down the middle is more important than getting me max distance some of the time). Can't remember the rest of the stats like attack angle, face, etc, but I should go get those checked.

When I first got it, last October, I had a good stretch of straight long drives. But after a few months off in the winter, and probably one too many IG swing tutorials my brother sent me, I seem to have Barkley'd myself on not just my driver, but all my clubs, because I've been missing right all spring. Last year, when I got fitted, I was scoring in the 90s without ever hitting a driver, and so wanted to see if more length off the tee would help. This year, I've been losing balls left and right, so was mostly scoring in the low 100s, but broke 100 and only lost one ball on Sunday, so hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 23, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

Oh dude thanks for the heads up - bought that rangefinder so fast. I've been looking to dive into it and 90 bucks is the perfect spot for me.

Mine just got delivered like 10 minutes ago, I'll play with it a bit when I go home for lunch to give it a quick once over.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I took my gogogogo rangefinder out yesterday for the first time. Accurate, pretty quick. One hole it would only find the hill behind the flag, but not a big deal, really. Similar results with other rangefinders.

So, worth the money.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Even though Prime Day is over, the gogogo is still a pretty good deal on Amazon, so definitely appreciate any (even mixed/ambivalent) reviews on it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Petey posted:

My brother wants a rangefinder for his birthday. Any recs? Looking in the $150-200 range (or less) ideally.

https://www.mggolf.com/gps-rangefinders/#MG800

Several of us who post here have them, I've had no complaints with mine.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Thx! It's fascinating; the Amazon reviews for that suck. If goons have had good experiences, wonder if they're astroturfed.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
My buddy got the MG800 and it rocks pretty hard.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

Mine just got delivered like 10 minutes ago, I'll play with it a bit when I go home for lunch to give it a quick once over.

Awesome - let me know what your thoughts are after a round or two on the course. Mine's delayed and won't get here until Saturday.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

Thx! It's fascinating; the Amazon reviews for that suck. If goons have had good experiences, wonder if they're astroturfed.

I had, and lost, an MG, don't remember which one. It was great. The one with the side panel readout.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Petey posted:

I bought my dad this one from AliExpress, and he seems pretty happy with it. The Pinseeker function is a bit hit or miss depending on the type of reflection beacons the course puts on the pin, but for being "there or there abouts" it works about as well as my GPS based app.

We're both poo poo enough at golf that anything within a 10 yard radius from where you actually want the ball to be is accurate enough.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I got my rangefinder from Costco for 120ish and it's great.

Things are coming together for a golf trip in the heat in Scottsdale AZ Beginning of August. Probably trying to play 4 rounds. Definitely hitting up both WeKoPa courses ($130 for both) , probably skipping TPC Scottsdale because I'd rather play there some other part of the year and it looks like there are better or more fun courses around there.

Any recommendations for must play courses thereabouts would be really helpful. I probably want to stay within an hour of Scottsdale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an older Bushnell V3 I bought for $150 from someone on Craigslist back in like... 2015? Works fine but I wish it had slope.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infomaniac posted:

Things are coming together for a golf trip in the heat in Scottsdale AZ Beginning of August.

It is going to be a trillion degrees

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

It is going to be a trillion degrees

Temp high, price low, sunscreen much.

I really don't mind playing in the heat. We play out in Palm Springs in the summer, hottest temp I experienced on the course peaked at 117 and that was a little excessive, but manageable. The ball can really soar in the heat. Big drives, but if you try to record some videos on the course, your phone overheats real fast.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Weeeee I finally got a lesson booked by someone capable of running a diary. I don't care how many things you've won and how many times you've appeared on the cover of a golf magazine, if you literally never call back when you say you will or respond to the information you requested - you are a bellend.

I went word of mouth and found a local pro that did some good things when younger but decided he was better teaching and is well thought of. He helped a couple of people I know get into single figure handicaps so fingers crossed.

Current mood exciteable.

Gonna get there early and knock a small basket of balls about so I don't waste time on the lesson warming up.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

genuine question — is any golf course in Arizona going to have water by late summer 2021, given the current drought and lake mead falling below 1075 feet?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
117 F is a "LITTLE" excessive? Are you from Venus or something?

gently caress that gently caress that gently caress that gently caress anything over 90

oh and congrats to DJE's new wee lil' hacker!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 24, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

there's absolutely something to be said for dry vs. humid heat but yeah triple digits are triple fuckin digits

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

there's absolutely something to be said for dry vs. humid heat but yeah triple digits are triple fuckin digits

Played a round that went from 90s to 102 during the round, never felt too hot. Humidity is low here, but mostly because I was in a cart and just kept myself hydrated and in the shade. Kind of worried me I never felt too hot, but recovered well the next day, too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

:love:

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

117 F is a "LITTLE" excessive? Are you from Venus or something?

gently caress that gently caress that gently caress that gently caress anything over 90

One trick is to carry two hats for when one starts dripping sweat while you are trying to put. :sweatdrop:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

who got the shanks? i got the shanks.

i have a mini "tune up" clinic in a couple weeks so i think I'm just going to work on short game until then. i'm just making poo poo worse by absorbing youtube videos and trying to coach myself.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Critical posted:

who got the shanks? i got the shanks.

i have a mini "tune up" clinic in a couple weeks so i think I'm just going to work on short game until then. i'm just making poo poo worse by absorbing youtube videos and trying to coach myself.

This is what I do before I have a lesson.

1) Work on short game
2) Skip playing golf for a few days
3) Go to lesson
4) Feel like an idiot when the golf pro points out the obvious flaws I picked up along the way and should have known about because that's the same poo poo he pointed out last time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone else had a round where you hadn't played in a couple of weeks and your first few holes are just...*awful*? I mean shanks, blades and even a duff. Through four holes I was 10 over and looked like a complete beginner. By the end I was playing fine and shot a 43 on the back nine, but...wow, that was the most embarrassing golf I've ever played.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

Has anyone else had a round where you hadn't played in a couple of weeks and your first few holes are just...*awful*? I mean shanks, blades and even a duff. Through four holes I was 10 over and looked like a complete beginner. By the end I was playing fine and shot a 43 on the back nine, but...wow, that was the most embarrassing golf I've ever played.

Oh this is real as hell.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The front 9 is always the warmup round

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The trick is to never get good so you're never disappointed.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kirios posted:

This is every round except I don't ever recover.

I've been playing a lot more recently and it's making me want to make a concerted effort to actively get better. Most of this is because I've started playing with a new group and all of them score about 10-20 strokes lower than I do at the end of a round. The main issue I have is that none of my shots have any consistency. I'm just as likely to hit it with a push or push slice as I am to fire a laser beam straight at the pin. This happens regardless of club. And while I do know that actual lessons would help me a lot, I feel like I'm just not consistent enough for the lessons to be as effective. So I've been hitting the youtube tutorials pretty hard, just trying to nail down the basics and at the very least make myself consistently bad. The thing that has helped the most so far is slowing down my backswing, and stop trying to crush the ball. When doing that I can hit pretty consistent straight shots with my irons with maybe a bit of a draw but I'm also losing like 30 yards of distance.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 24, 2021

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BonoMan posted:

The trick is to never get good so you're never disappointed.

You can't get disappointed if you're always disappointed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Today I (36) finally knew what it was to play wily old man golf. I hit 1 fairway, 1 GIR, was inside of at least two bushes/trees and shot a 38. The guy I was playing against in league didn’t even want to shake my hand. It was awesome.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anno posted:

Today I (36) finally knew what it was to play wily old man golf. I hit 1 fairway, 1 GIR, was inside of at least two bushes/trees and shot a 38. The guy I was playing against in league didn’t even want to shake my hand. It was awesome.

I had a similar front nine today. Not nearly as good of a score but I just made 4s and 5s for nine holes. It was totally stress free for whatever reason. I shot 46 which isn't great but my mental state was just like "ok, 4s and 5s, we'll cruise to a mid-high 80s score."

Ate poo poo on the back as you do, and my buddy chipped in for eagle on 10 which really soured my mood because he's much better than me but had been playing like crap until then.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

I did this all throughout Scotland for a large sum of money. :(

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

loving siiiiiiiiick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The worst part of golf is hitting perfect shots and knowing you’re capable of bombing the ball 280 dead center of the fairway and the next hole you slice it 200 yards and into the next fairway.

Same with every other aspect. I’ll hit two 60 yard wedge shots within 10 feet and the third one I’ll blade it over the green.