Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The Green Dragonfly is some sick colour contrast.

Honey Bee Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

jarlywarly posted:

The Green Dragonfly is some sick colour contrast.

I was gonna say. Great pictures all around, lately.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was just trying out an omegaron enlarger lens I've had for a while but hadn't had a chance to actually use. I prefer my linescan lens, but for a ~$20 lens (plus a $23 helicoid and adapters) it seems to perform pretty well.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I bought a new (2nd hand) lens and oooh boy am I happy with it

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cool! Looks like you're getting good results. Which lens did you get?
Spotted this leaf-footed bug(?) on my peppers today.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

Cool! Looks like you're getting good results. Which lens did you get?

I got the 100-400 IS L (MK1 version), it's going to be perfect for my butterfly and dragonfly studies I think

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AceClown posted:

I got the 100-400 IS L (MK1 version), it's going to be perfect for my butterfly and dragonfly studies I think

I use the 100-400 mk2 with the 1.4x extender for that purpose its amazing you can do birds and mediums sized bugs at the same time.

Ringlet Butterfly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Orange Tip Butterfly Female by Aves Lux, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

man that extender looks like it really makes a difference, those are some gorgeous shots!

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
You all have some amazing shots! It inspired me to try and get some macro type shots with my Fuji 70-300mm since I heard it might be capable of it. Still fairly new to photography in general but it was awesome watching that butterfly probe around trying to eat.

So far the thing I'm finding the hardest is nailing the focus. More practice and hopefully I'll get there.

DSCF0836_1

DSCF0803

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 19, 2021

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

great shots those! What's the butterfly? Guessing it's a Fritillary but I'm struggling to ID it.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

AceClown posted:

great shots those! What's the butterfly? Guessing it's a Fritillary but I'm struggling to ID it.

Thank you! I was trying to ID it and it's either that type or a Tawny Emperor. Location would be Northeast US.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I got some Meike extension tubes and they're pretty drat sweet to play with. It's not a real macro lens replacement, but paired with the new Tamron zooms, the results aren't bad:

_DSC8026 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Y'all got suggestions for flash batteries? I feel like a chew through regular AA batteries pretty quick with my flash and the delay in charge up time is pretty annoying when you're dealing with bugs.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

sildargod posted:

I got some Meike extension tubes and they're pretty drat sweet to play with. It's not a real macro lens replacement, but paired with the new Tamron zooms, the results aren't bad...

I just have a set of their tubes + my Sony kit lenses, and I've been pretty happy with them for my casual level of messing around. A lot of fun for thirty bucks.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Y'all got suggestions for flash batteries? I feel like a chew through regular AA batteries pretty quick with my flash and the delay in charge up time is pretty annoying when you're dealing with bugs.

Eneloops all day long. I’ve used amazon basics, and they died after a lot fewer cycles than they were rated for.

If you want to get weird, jarly has posted in this thread about using a AD200 strobe with a flash cable. I’ve converted over to that flash as well. It is powered by a big lithium ion battery, and the recycle times are awesome, lasts hundreds of pops at full power, and is bright AF. But it’s a single flash bulb, and you have a big thing on your belt, and a thick cable running to your camera.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Seconding Eneloops, they're very good. Though that strobe idea is interesting...

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
For my battery flashes (MT-26EX-RT) I use Duracell AA 2500mAh Recharge Ultra I read some comparison/review thing a while ago that said they were the best for recycle times. But that was a while ago so it might be different by now.

Syritta Pipiens by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 22, 2021

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

For my battery flashes (MT-26EX-RT) I use Duracell AA 2500mAh Recharge Ultra I read some comparison/review thing a while ago that said they were the best for recycle times. But that was a while ago so it might be different by now.

Syritta Pipiens by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Great light on that fly! Did you abandon the AD200, or are you using the twin flash for higher magnification? I've considered a separate rig for the 1-5x than for the 100mm 2x.

I finally took some pics of what I'm doing with the AD200. I like that it's basically a detachable softbox that I can hand-hold for creative lighting, or mount on the lens.

Macro field equipment, July 2021

Macro field equipment, July 2021

Some shots from this morning (love cool wet mornings when the bugs are calm after normally hot weather)

Ant
The wolf spider doesn't read well as an image, but I like the natural history element and camouflage.

Wolf spider with babies

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice shots, yeah I still have the AD200 but it doesn't work as well with the MP-e65mm at 2-3x macro which I have decided to focus on at the moment.

Its way too hot for macro here at the moment though, hoping for some rain and sluggish insects on the weekend.

Honey Bee by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
High insect season here, how's everyone else's season going? We'll miss it when it's winter!

Bumblebee on Globe Thistle by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Peacock Butterfly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Hoverfly Landing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 3, 2022

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

High insect season here, how's everyone else's season going? We'll miss it when it's winter!

That hover fly is dynamite. Love it.

I had a nice day today. I found a couple of jagged ambush bug nymphs on some of my wife's black-eyed susan cone flowers. I hadn't encountered them before. I get a strong godzilla vibe from them. Pretty small, too (~4mm) so it's always exciting to see how much more character they have when magnified.
Jagged Ambush Bug nymph on cone flower

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That's a lovely insect, really charismatic! The contrast with the dark blue of cone flower works really well!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That last shot looks like a kaiju on an alien landscape, sweet colors.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Those look like studio shots, very nice! Wish the third one had a bit more DoF.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I think some of you use Helicon Focus to do your stacking. I've used Zerene for years, and just tried a demo of Helicon again. I feel like I must be missing something, because the retouching workflow is missing a feature that's totally necessary for me. In every stack I shoot, I will do retouching where I create substacks from various parts of the image, and then retouch to pull in the substack. For example, I just shot a stack of this horsefly:

Horsefly portrait

The full depth stack has a bunch of hairs behind the mouthparts that distract from the look, so I created a substack of just the mouth. Then I choose the mouth substack, and retouch the main image, pulling in the clean mouth area. I did the same for the antennae. The antennae had stacking artifacts where the compound eyes bled through, so I made a stack of just the antennae and retouched to pull in that part of the images.

In Zerene, this is trivially easy. You select a group of input images, choose "stack selected" and then retouch, selecting the output image as the retouching source.

In Helicon, that seems ... not possible? You can choose an output image to use as an input, but it will only treat the output image as valid if it includes the first images in the overall set. In other words, you literally cannot retouch using a subset of the overall stack unless that subset includes the first images. Helicon said in 2015 on their forums that they were planning to implement substacks and slabbing (automatically stacking a rolling subset of input images), but as of today it seems to still be missing.

It's a bummer because the Helicon stacking software is literally >300x faster to execute than Zerene, and the UI is certainly more accessible and responsive to zoom and pan big images. But processing a stack that takes 5 minutes in Zerene vs 1 second in Helicon is nothing compared to the time I spend in retouching each image, and the retouching workflow in Helicon seems to just totally fall down when you need to fix hairs or overlapping elements. Am I missing something here? How do Helicon users handle this, because it's a problem in 100% of stacks of hairy / complex subjects.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah I never stack anything that complicated, Zerene is much better for the really complex slab stacking from what I read.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah I never stack anything that complicated, Zerene is much better for the really complex slab stacking from what I read.

I suppose this is mostly just a problem for deep stacks where it’s too tedious to retouch using each individual source image so you have to sub stack to get a usable block of image data to use.it works fine to retouch using one source image at a time.

But basically anything with legs, or where one in-focus area is in front of another in-focus area will have stacking artifacts that need to be retouched. I’m just baffled because helicon seems highly optimized for deep stacks. I could run 100 50 megapixel images through with GPU acceleration in just a second or two. But then it’s impractical to retouch it at all.

Edit: they even support direct control of a stack shot rail (which I use) so they have deep stacks in mind!

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
My super jank double macro extension and Tamron 70-180mm setup netted me some surprisingly okay shots. The biggest issue is the working distance which is somewhere inside the actual lens hood, which when taken off introduces flare when I add light into the scene.

_DSC6339 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

_DSC6283 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Astonishingly, at 70mm the magnification is a little over 1:1, at 180mm it's around 0.6x which is great because it still keeps a reasonable working distance. The extension tubes introduce really weird swirly artefacts to out of focus regions and the outer 1/3 of the image too which is annoying, but to be expected I suppose.

That said, I found a Tamron 180mm for around $220 so I will be picking that up in the near future, though I am quite liking the whole make-your-own macro experience - not enough to risk my expensive lens overloading the cheapie extension tubes and being dropped to the floor though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Found this in the garden while moving some boards around.

mama wolf spider-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
:stonk:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Found some bee photos in the archives I'd never edited properly:

Found this in the garden while moving some boards around.

mama wolf spider-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Very cool find!

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I feel extremely judged by this bee.

_DSC7024 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

_DSC7022 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

These macro photos are really good! How do you all manage to get moving bugs in focus? Just lots of shots and patience?

I don't have any real macro shots, but I wanted to share some recent insect pictures. The flowers are in bloom here and I was out looking for birds but found other things instead.

Some sort of moth.

A bee.

A White-lined Sphinx Moth.

I've been birding for a little while, but I'm starting to get more interested in insects too. Is there any good way of figuring out what a given bug is? For example, any advice for IDing the moth in the first photo?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

DorianGravy posted:

These macro photos are really good! How do you all manage to get moving bugs in focus? Just lots of shots and patience?

Yeah my personal process involves me mumbling "god dammit stop moving" a lot while I'm hunched over some bushes or twisting a twig around to get the subject visible.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
My process is essentially wait for it to get a bit colder/damper early in the morning or later on in the evening then sit by specific flowers/bushes in my garden on a low stool and wait. The more overcast/cooler and windier it is it gets better for bee photography, hoverflies are normally pretty chill. Wasps are a nightmare.

People in much hotter climes often find bee's asleep in flowers etc, that doesn't really seem to happen as much here in the North West of England,

I still try on sunnier days but it's much harder as everything is moving faster and sees your shadow as a threat.

Carder Bee by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Ichneumon Wasp by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Bumblebee portrait by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Speaking of sleeping bees, I have found a few in the garden recently. I also happened to check the last rose we had in a side flower bed and found a little jumper living in the curled up petals.

Really love that first pic of the 3 you shared above, jarly

Please excuse the lower quality and 1:1 ratios, I formatted them for sharing with the fickle instagram gods

sleeping bee-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

bee and crab-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

jumper in rose-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Speaking of sleeping bees, I have found a few in the garden recently. I also happened to check the last rose we had in a side flower bed and found a little jumper living in the curled up petals.

Really love that first pic of the 3 you shared above, jarly

Please excuse the lower quality and 1:1 ratios, I formatted them for sharing with the fickle instagram gods

sleeping bee-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

bee and crab-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

jumper in rose-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Thanks, your snoozing bee is lovely.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's neat to hear about the process of taking macro photos of wild things. And I never considered that bees might sleep in flowers! That sounds like a fantastically comfortable place to nap.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Heard a strange buzzing near my garbage bin, and discovered a jumping spider attached to the back end of this fly. The fly was still alive trying to get away but the spider was hanging on tight while being dragged along. Gruesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
That's fantastic! You should take the trash out more often.