Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah we had a lot of lightning last night and I think there were like 11 fires in the valley. Pretty crazy poo poo, it's so loving dry. Really hoping the MTB network out here doesn't sustain much fire damage this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

pinarello dogman posted:

Whistler valley trails are pretty spread out, so you're not going to see a ton of people, even on the weekend. Anything rated green on Trailforks you should be good to ride in the saddle, though a lot of it is basically bike paths/gravel trail.
Blue trails have a huge variability in difficulty, most of them I think you would have a tough time on, but try the Lost Lake area. That's generally the most beginner friendly singletrack. Not sure about gravel ride options.

Edit: Rainbow-Sproatt flank is mostly a road or wide singletrack as far as I know. Might have some tough bits. Has some decent views though if you want to get up the mountains a bit but not hit anything super challenging. Can't guarantee anything as I haven't ridden the whole thing.

Thanks for this by the way. I was doing loops around lost lake for hours yesterday before just cruising along some of the valley trails for the scenery.

Going to go out again today before heading back.

Also holy poo poo I knew North shore terrain is tricky but riding up here reinforces it so much. I feel blue tracks here are easier for me than most north shore greens just because it’s not big tangled roots and erosion exposed granite for miles and miles. I’m sure for most people it’s less of an issue but it’s a bane for me. Sort of gives me hope that I’ll be able to ride some real trails at some point if they aren’t super techy.

I actually looked into getting a bike park pass to shuttle easy does it today but riding solo on a demo bike and doing my first shuttled paths seemed like not the best idea. Plus they were sold out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks for this by the way. I was doing loops around lost lake for hours yesterday before just cruising along some of the valley trails for the scenery.

Also holy poo poo I knew North shore terrain is tricky but riding up here reinforces it so much. I feel blue tracks here are easier for me than most north shore greens just because it’s not big tangled roots and erosion exposed granite for miles and miles. I’m sure for most people it’s less of an issue but it’s a bane for me. Sort of gives me hope that I’ll be able to ride some real trails at some point if they aren’t super techy.

I actually looked into getting a bike park pass to shuttle easy does it today but riding solo on a demo bike and doing my first shuttled paths seemed like not the best idea. Plus they were sold out.

You should do it, there are a ton of fantastic greens on the mountain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

Update: Well, my bike shop is having me come in at 3:30 to to set up a demo bike for me to borrow this weekend so I can still go riding on my Whistler trip. Still haven't heard back from an insurance adjuster.
That shop owns.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

Good to hear you had fun. The trail ratings for valley trail in Whistler are kind of a mess because green trails have to have be a certain width, minimum corner radius, no bumps over 10 cm, etc. So trails you would expect to be green are usually blue, and green trails are usually footpaths. On the other hand some of the blue trails are pretty tech, though at Lost Lake there are usually B-lines.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

That makes more sense. Heading out again before I drive home. I’ll get pics up tonight.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I was thinking about going to a bike park this weekend for my first time and renting a bike since all I have is a hard tail. They have bike insurance for $25. Is it a good idea to to pick it up?

I'm not going to be hucking it on A-Line style jumps or anything that might break the bike, but imagine I could fall and scratch something. Anyone have a recommendation here?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

PolishPandaBear posted:

I was thinking about going to a bike park this weekend for my first time and renting a bike since all I have is a hard tail. They have bike insurance for $25. Is it a good idea to to pick it up?

I'm not going to be hucking it on A-Line style jumps or anything that might break the bike, but imagine I could fall and scratch something. Anyone have a recommendation here?

Don't bother, way too expensive

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Check your credit card. Many cover things like this if you rent with your card.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Cool. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

I think the poster saying it was too expensive was joking, it's absolutely worth that, if you don't get it and you come back with damage you'll be paying so so so much more it's insane. Always get the bike insurance with rentals. You'll enjoy it much more not worrying all day about scratches or whatever, let alone if your brake starts to fail or your derailleur gets hit on something etc and you have to pay multiple hundreds of dollars on fixing their bike.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One of the rules of life is thus; If it flies or floats it's best to rent it by the hour. Get all the insurance you can stack on it and then set it to Rental Speed and have a blast.

Mountain bikes get a shitload of air so we can file them under 'flies'.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You don't even need to be trying to do big jumps or anything to have a big crash so it just makes sense ! Bikes are so expensive.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Last trip to Trestle I saw 20-30 bikes in the shop with cracked, broken, or otherwise damaged frames.

I would pay the $25

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Ok, bikes reserved with insurance. Thanks y'all.

I ended up getting a Spec Demo Expert 29 in S4. I'm a little worried about the 465mm of reach being short since I'm 6'-7" tall with a 40" inseam. Although with a downhill bike you'll be standing in attack position so maybe I shouldn't be concerned? I also got a Demo in S3 for my girlfriend's dad who's around 5'-7". You think that'll be ok? I'm not sure about his inseam.

The other bikes they had were a Scott Gambler 920, and in a premium category a SC V10-U and a Yeti SB165 which is an enduro bike.

This is Thunder Mountain in western Mass if anyone's familiar with it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

PolishPandaBear posted:

Ok, bikes reserved with insurance. Thanks y'all.

I ended up getting a Spec Demo Expert 29 in S4. I'm a little worried about the 465mm of reach being short since I'm 6'-7" tall with a 40" inseam. Although with a downhill bike you'll be standing in attack position so maybe I shouldn't be concerned? I also got a Demo in S3 for my girlfriend's dad who's around 5'-7". You think that'll be ok? I'm not sure about his inseam.

The other bikes they had were a Scott Gambler 920, and in a premium category a SC V10-U and a Yeti SB165 which is an enduro bike.

This is Thunder Mountain in western Mass if anyone's familiar with it.

I think you’ll find an s4 pretty small. You can get an xl or xxl?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not that it should necessarily change your bike choice, but they might have the SB165 set-up with a dual-crown fork. It's the closest thing Yeti makes to a DH bike. I'd bet all of them would be fine choices. Only reason I'd swap is if you think the sizes they have available on the other builds would fit you better than the S4.

From glancing at the size chart, S3 looks to be about what I'd expect for a Medium frame, so should work OK for GF's dad.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Anything I should know about potentially purchasing a demo bike?

I'm still fighting with our insurance for my Scott that was stolen, might be taking them to small claims although I'm still waiting to hear back from a higher up person right now. On top of that if I want to get a Scott again I'm waiting for the 22 models as they sold out for the year.

However my shop said they are possibly selling the demo bike they let me take to Whistler in the next couple months. It's more bike than I would normally buy, but if I get 30% or so discount its cheaper than my Scott was. I trust the shop, not worried about them selling a wrecked bike and I'm good at keeping them maintained after the fact so I'm seriously considering it.

It's all very preliminary though - this just came up today when I was talking to them about servicing my wife's bike. I don't know if they will sell it or what the discount might be. If it looks like this might be an option I definitely want to ask about the factory warranty and what they honor on that, but anything else specific I should ask about that I probably wont think of?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I'm still fighting with our insurance for my Scott that was stolen, might be taking them to small claims although I'm still waiting to hear back from a higher up person right now. On top of that if I want to get a Scott again I'm waiting for the 22 models as they sold out for the year.

However my shop said they are possibly selling the demo bike they let me take to Whistler in the next couple months. It's more bike than I would normally buy, but if I get 30% or so discount its cheaper than my Scott was. I trust the shop, not worried about them selling a wrecked bike and I'm good at keeping them maintained after the fact so I'm seriously considering it.

It's all very preliminary though - this just came up today when I was talking to them about servicing my wife's bike. I don't know if they will sell it or what the discount might be. If it looks like this might be an option I definitely want to ask about the factory warranty and what they honor on that, but anything else specific I should ask about that I probably wont think of?

I guess there's two things here, I wouldn't let your insurance company buy you a used bike when you pay insurance premiums with the understanding that you will be compensated properly for theft (with the $ on the receipt I thought).

If someone was just asking without that context about it, I don't think there's anything really too wrong with a properly serviced used bike provided they commit to doing the normal stuff that every whistler shop does with their used bikes and replace all the bearings, generally the drivetrain wear components, brake pads and rotors, etc. I don't know if an e bike that was a demo is a worse idea because it'll maybe have more cycles on the battery.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I guess there's two things here, I wouldn't let your insurance company buy you a used bike when you pay insurance premiums with the understanding that you will be compensated properly for theft (with the $ on the receipt I thought).

If someone was just asking without that context about it, I don't think there's anything really too wrong with a properly serviced used bike provided they commit to doing the normal stuff that every whistler shop does with their used bikes and replace all the bearings, generally the drivetrain wear components, brake pads and rotors, etc. I don't know if an e bike that was a demo is a worse idea because it'll maybe have more cycles on the battery.

Thanks.

Battery life was something I was thinking about, but depending on the discount I'd be willing to take a not-new battery and if it means I replace it sooner then it might be worth it anyway, especially if it means I don't wait six months to get a bike. It's also Obsession in North Van that is doing it, so most of the demo rides have been on the North Shore and I don't have any doubt about the shop keeping it properly serviced. Asking about replacing some of the components is a good idea, though - I sort of figured that factored into the discount price.

Insurance is a separate issue. They won't be buying me the bike, it's just a fight about how much they will reimburse me. Right now we are fighting about that amount, but however that shakes out they are writing me a check it doesn't affect how I spend that money. Not to get too in the weeds but they told us my wife's bike was covered without needing to be scheduled when we applied for the policy (which turns out is NOT correct). Because of that I didn't think we needed to schedule the one that got stolen. It's partly my fault that I didn't reconfirm the info on my new bike, but at the same time don't tell us wrong limit amounts on the phone and then fail to correct it in the policy right? They also sent me a reply email about the claim that quoted the wrong info again, so I'm hoping when I talk to someone with decision making power and show them our policy declaration missing information as well as their claim response quoting me the wrong policy information that I can get them to make us happy customers for life and not quibble over a few thousand bucks or, worst case, they never see a dime from us again and have to spend the time and money to fight in small claims.

They were supposed to have called me back Tuesday. Tomorrow I get to call and email the local agent again who passed me up and ask when I can expect to speak to someone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We would have gotten turbo-hosed by our insurance if my LBS hadn't played ball to turbofuck them back so I know the feeling. Fingers crossed etc, voodoo

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I bought a demo bike and am happy with the bike, the shop, and the company who replaced the frame under warranty after it cracked.

I wouldn’t buy it if the company doesn’t have a good warranty.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Rode some new trail that I've worked on tonight which was cool. I generally have just been showing up, volunteering at work days and kids mtb programs and whatnot but this year our MTB group actually hired me to run some of the trailwork days. I have to supervise and show people what to do and make sure no one hits themselves with a pulaski, tow the trailer around, etc instead of actually just going up there and digging but it's still fun and nice to get something for my work.

Our newest project is pretty big, mostly managed by a local land trust who bought a bunch of land to make a new conservation and recreation area and the cool thing is they're letting our group do most of the trail planning and building. On the last project we even made some downhill only, bike only stuff, although this current one is pretty mellow and wide and machine built and multi use. But it goes to the top of a mountain and the next section will continue way past that down a ridge out to another road.

This was the last work day I put on, a week ago

and then tonight we were up at the top

From the lowest trailhead to the top it's about 5mi and 2500 feet and there's a little loop around the top so you get good views in all directions

jamal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 25, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Looks dope, you're doing good bike stuff

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Was taken round some absolutely amazing steep, offpiste tech in south wales the other day for the solstice. GoPro doesn't do the steepness justice but it felt pretty crazy, especially with a bit of exposure to the side. Can't wait to go back.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Does anyone know if Buffalo Creek (Colorado) is unbearably crowded on the weekends, or if it's still doable?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

vote_no posted:

Does anyone know if Buffalo Creek (Colorado) is unbearably crowded on the weekends, or if it's still doable?

I'd start early so it's easy to get a place to park. It does get busy, but there's enough space IME for it not to be too bad out on the trail. You'll likely see more people around the trailheads and parking areas before you get out on the trail.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Checked out a new to me trail section near home, got a bit lost, blasted some unmarked stuff. My arms are so torn up but it was a lot of fun.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Aphex- posted:

Was taken round some absolutely amazing steep, offpiste tech in south wales the other day for the solstice. GoPro doesn't do the steepness justice but it felt pretty crazy, especially with a bit of exposure to the side. Can't wait to go back.

What trails was it? So much good ultra steep no flow tech in the valleys.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainTofu posted:

What trails was it? So much good ultra steep no flow tech in the valleys.

It was the stuff at Risca. I've been to Cwmcarn loads before but never ventured round to check out the spicier stuff.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

vikingstrike posted:

I'd start early so it's easy to get a place to park. It does get busy, but there's enough space IME for it not to be too bad out on the trail. You'll likely see more people around the trailheads and parking areas before you get out on the trail.

Thanks! I realized I actually do have another day during the week available, so let me amend my question to: if you wanted to do something like Snowmass one day and Buffalo Creek another, which one would you do on the weekend?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vote_no posted:

Thanks! I realized I actually do have another day during the week available, so let me amend my question to: if you wanted to do something like Snowmass one day and Buffalo Creek another, which one would you do on the weekend?

Snowmass bike part on a weekend for sure. If is was Trestle bike park I would do that during the week.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Snowmass bike park is usually not too bad on weekends. If you're in the area say hi!

I love Welsh

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

Snowmass bike park is usually not too bad on weekends. If you're in the area say hi!

I’m at the bike park right now. It’s better than bad, it’s good.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I did a mtb race today.
It was awful. 38 miles, 7700' of elevation.
Oh and it was 100 degrees and started at 4500' and went straight up.

I need to go to a bike park to remember that MTB can be fun.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

jamal posted:

Rode some new trail that I've worked on tonight which was cool. I generally have just been showing up, volunteering at work days and kids mtb programs and whatnot but this year our MTB group actually hired me to run some of the trailwork days. I have to supervise and show people what to do and make sure no one hits themselves with a pulaski, tow the trailer around, etc instead of actually just going up there and digging but it's still fun and nice to get something for my work.

Our newest project is pretty big, mostly managed by a local land trust who bought a bunch of land to make a new conservation and recreation area and the cool thing is they're letting our group do most of the trail planning and building. On the last project we even made some downhill only, bike only stuff, although this current one is pretty mellow and wide and machine built and multi use. But it goes to the top of a mountain and the next section will continue way past that down a ridge out to another road.

This was the last work day I put on, a week ago

and then tonight we were up at the top

From the lowest trailhead to the top it's about 5mi and 2500 feet and there's a little loop around the top so you get good views in all directions

jamal you're around missoula somewhere right? I know a couple guys been doing a bike park and some other stuff around there

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I'm in Missoula. The new place is up along the north west side of flathead lake, maybe 1.5-2hrs from here. Looks neat, although I don't do much bike park riding.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

If any of you folks in the lower mainland are so inclined it looks like there are a bunch of trail association trailforks badge earning challenges on now with prizes and stuff. https://torca.ca/torca-trailforks-challenge-2021/ TORCA has some fun ones. Everyone knows a ride only counts if you log it on multiple apps and earn cheevos like its an xbox :negative:

https://nsmba.ca/social-badger-challenge/ NSMBA is doing one too.

mashed fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 27, 2021

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
So i fractured a couple toes on friday. Very minor, they were on the fence about whether it was a fx or not. Anyway, im in the market for new flat pedal shoes. I have freerider contacts, which are worn out. I liked that theyre a bit stiffer and had some protection. I also have regular freeriders, which are very comfy, good grip, but the sole is too soft and they have zero toe protection. I was wearing the regular freeriders the other day. I dont know that the other shoes would have saved me, but they certainly might have.

So im looking at freerider pro vs impact pro. I want the sole to be at least as stiff as the contact's, and id like at minimum the protection that the contact's offered. Im not super worried about the weight of the impacts, but i am wondering if the sole is stiff and supportive but you can still feel whats going on through your feet. Ive also heard bad things about the freerider pro's sole durability.

What do yall think? or is there some other brand that produces what i need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Torbo posted:

So i fractured a couple toes on friday. Very minor, they were on the fence about whether it was a fx or not. Anyway, im in the market for new flat pedal shoes. I have freerider contacts, which are worn out. I liked that theyre a bit stiffer and had some protection. I also have regular freeriders, which are very comfy, good grip, but the sole is too soft and they have zero toe protection. I was wearing the regular freeriders the other day. I dont know that the other shoes would have saved me, but they certainly might have.

So im looking at freerider pro vs impact pro. I want the sole to be at least as stiff as the contact's, and id like at minimum the protection that the contact's offered. Im not super worried about the weight of the impacts, but i am wondering if the sole is stiff and supportive but you can still feel whats going on through your feet. Ive also heard bad things about the freerider pro's sole durability.

What do yall think? or is there some other brand that produces what i need?

I've had the impacts previously, then the normal freeriders, and I just last month bought freerider pros. The pros are incredible, super comfy, light, great stiffness in the sole (similar to the freerider tbh). I don't think I've ever heard someone say that the freerider sole is too soft for them. Do you have narrow pedals? I think the toe is more than protected enough on the pros for mountain biking purposes. I wouldn't want steel toes. I've also never fractured toes from biking.

If my pros got stolen I'd buy new ones tomorrow, I think you should at least give them a try-on. I have to say I don't really care about the durability of the shoe so long as I get what I need from it but I appreciate that other people have different needs.

The Impact line of 5 10 stuff is horrible. They're so bulky and heavy and far too wide, hot, etc. It feels like a work boot. I hated my impacts.