Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Of course he did. He needed to delete evidence off it before it got subpoenaed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Well, as these things go, I guess "picking up one of his 800,000 unfinished projects" is a slight step above "Netflix stand-up special sticking it to the SJWs" in terms of how to get back into people's good graces* but I guess we'll have to see how the scripts turn out

* As well as being far, far, below "an actual loving apology and relevant charity benefit work", of course

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Given the autobiographical nature of much of Ellis's work, his stress-related health issues in the last few years, and his tendency to write incredibly psychologically brittle characters in a lot of his recent fiction, I'd think it'd be a lot more likely for his next original project to be basically self-flagellation.

I just don't know where it'd show up, since Avatar doesn't print much of anything anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Image is still publishing him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://twitter.com/katiewest/status/1407778912520880128?s=20

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Fell and Desolation Jones were the two of my favorite works of Ellis, of which I used to be a big fan of, but this is a bit too little, too late.
Dude is not only a creep, but he hasn't finished a comic book project of note in the last 15 years. I give Fell relaunch a handful of issues before he blames lack of progress on his artist/co-creator, like he did last time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Putrid Grin posted:

Fell and Desolation Jones were the two of my favorite works of Ellis, of which I used to be a big fan of, but this is a bit too little, too late.
Dude is not only a creep, but he hasn't finished a comic book project of note in the last 15 years. I give Fell relaunch a handful of issues before he blames lack of progress on his artist/co-creator, like he did last time.

He never blamed Templesmith for Fell falling off, he blamed a computer failure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The same one that killed New Universal right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Probably.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

He blamed Ramon Villalobos for the Wild Storm spin-off that was supposed to come out a couple years ago.

(Seems like Ramon ran late and tried to make it right, not really sure what all transpired as it was he said/he said.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Let's see where this goes.

https://twitter.com/dorkland/status/1408193847893663754?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's something at least. I mean, I'm sure he only did this because there's talk of boycotts and likely pressure from Image about whether or not they're gonna keep publishing him, but it's possible something good could come from this.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He could have just been taking some time to figure out his next move. All this came out following his most commercial success after all. He probably had the money for it.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Also killed Doctor Sleepless.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

He just sent out a newsletter and I am pasting it below with no commentary from myself. There are a handful of urls that did not copy over as I'm on my phone (the So Many of Us website and a link to his original statement).

quote:

I was made aware today of the So Many Of Us collective's offer of a mediated dialogue, and have today asked their permission to enter that dialogue. Where that will take us, I’m not sure, but I know I want to make certain that I’m doing all I can to no longer be part of the problem or in any way still perpetuating the past. I hope these conversations will be ongoing and productive for all.

A year ago, I put out this statement. 

In it, I did my best to respond to the many accounts of my past behavior, the harm I’d caused, and the negative effects of my poor judgments. As I have come to realize, that damage has persisted and left lasting scars for many.

In the past, I have been careless and unthinking in my personal relationships, and I again apologise without reservation. In the last year, I've entered therapy and taken other measures to change my behavior, and am continuing to process the help and advice I've received. I've had a lot of long, hard conversations with people who are or have been close to me, and I need to have a lot more. I'm working on change. I've been silent because I had a lot of work to do and still do, and have repairs still to make, and wish to proceed mindfully without causing further harm.

I have, of course, been silent and isolated for too long, and should have addressed things sooner and proceeded with more speed. I apologise.

All of this should especially have been addressed before word of a new project came out via my collaborator. That was my mistake and the book was prematurely announced without Image's input or knowledge. I should have brought up to him beforehand that I still had work to do to address my past. I should have worked with Image to make sure they were ready and comfortable to commit publicly to the project when I still had work to do to address my past. This is another example of my lousy judgment. I now add both him, and Image, to the list of apologies I owe.

Naturally, trying to mend my errors now makes it look like the only reason I’m speaking at the moment is to serve that project. It's not, but that's irrelevant: this is about me trying to make things right—regardless of how it looks for me or how good or bad the timing is . So here are my thoughts:

I have had nearly a year to reflect on everything I’ve learned about how my behavior has hurt others and I am sorry. Repeating that over and over doesn't make anything better for anybody, but, now I've had my time to listen and process and advance my understanding, there are a few further things I need to say.

I acknowledge that I have done wrong. Neither my intent at the time, nor my perception of it then, erases that fact. Nor does it at all obscure that the result of that behavior has clearly affected individuals for years, and may even have inspired others to perform negative behaviour.

If you are a reader who supported me, then thank you, but please don't defend me anymore. Change doesn't happen overnight -- I'm at the start of a long road, and it's not a road with a defined end - and it doesn't happen in a vacuum. If you want to support me, then support efforts towards transformation of communities, industries and workplaces.

Going forward:

I’ve been in therapy now for almost a year and will remain committed to that part of the process.

I will continue to work on new projects with only the collaborators who have expressed their comfort in doing so with me. I ceased all public appearances, and I think I have a long way to go before such activities would be appropriate again. I am grateful to all my collaborators for continuing to associate with me, and for the difficult but instructive conversations we had to get to that point.

I've always kept my charitable donations private, but, in looking for ways to contribute to change without privileging my own voice, I've expanded my donations into the space of women's support groups. Most recently, my last royalty cheque was split between funding therapy for young women and supporting women in the workplace. I hope to do more and will welcome suggestions of charities that I can build lasting support for.

I do not yet know the fate of this newsletter. I miss talking with you, but I committed to speaking less, listening more and becoming better. There are still 23,000 of you, and it would be nice to use this platform as a tool for doing some good. I'm going to keep thinking about it, take advice from friends and take regular inventory.

As I said before -- I'm sorry I let you down, and I'm sorry I have failed the trust placed in me. I hope that, over time, I can earn back a little of that.

Sincerely,

Warren

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If that is sincere it seems a good place to start to me.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I vividly remember him stating on several occasions that Templesmith has a script but is busy with better paying work.
Considering how many projects he abandoned, maybe I am getting projects mixed up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The fact that he's doing this the day after the announcement of his return to comics is a sure sign of it being just to cover his and/or images rear end

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I kinda like, assuming it's sincere, that he went into therapy over it. He's struck me as having some mental health issues for quite a while, like how 90% of his protagonists are violently self-loathing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Therapy is great and when I think of all the men of my life who I didn't like having around me I think therapy would have profoundly benefited like 85% of them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Therapy is great and when I think of all the men of my life who I didn't like having around me I think therapy would have profoundly benefited like 85% of them.

It would have most likely benefited 0% of them because it doesn't work unless you want to make a change. And sadly usually the people who most should change have no interest in doing so. I hope Ellis is sincere about wanting to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Putrid Grin posted:

I vividly remember him stating on several occasions that Templesmith has a script but is busy with better paying work.
Considering how many projects he abandoned, maybe I am getting projects mixed up.

That was earlier delays, and I don't think he was blaming Templesmith, the financial set-up for Fell was specifically trying to produce a comic for 2 bucks, and all the money came after the book was published, he was just acknowledging that sometimes someone has to pay the bills. Templesmith also had poo poo that paid him upfront and had hard deadlines, not just a weird thought experiment from Warren Ellis.

The book being cancelled unfinished was (according to Ellis) because of a hard drive failure.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 25, 2021

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/ImageComics/status/1408503845416673280

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's certainly for the best. I want to read the rest of Fell, but I'd much rather Warren Ellis make proper amends first.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I guess they underestimated the scale of the backlash. Good for them for doing the right thing after enormous social pressure was applied.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Squidster posted:

I guess they underestimated the scale of the backlash. Good for them for doing the right thing after enormous social pressure was applied.

Which makes the times they didn’t and haven’t done the right thing all the more glaring

https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/1408534443464171522?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Re: Rob Liefeld I saw somewhere that said he's started to pick up an alt-right following?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good for him!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Re: Rob Liefeld I saw somewhere that said he's started to pick up an alt-right following?
Do you remember where you saw this?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I got rid of all my Ellis stuff except my Planetary Absolutes for sentimental reasons but now I think those are out the door too. Am I a hypocrite given I still have my League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ones?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I got rid of all my Ellis stuff except my Planetary Absolutes for sentimental reasons but now I think those are out the door too. Am I a hypocrite given I still have my League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ones?

There's certainly questions to be asked about Moore's use of rape as a plot device, but to the best of my knowledge no one has accused him of any sexual impropriety in real life.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dawgstar posted:

He might be getting that from the outrageous person who bought his licenses in a deal that I am shocked was legal. I would not be surprised if the Alt-Right saw kinship in that individual's inane ramblings, perhaps even a mentor or leader figure, but associated the brand ultimately with the original creator.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's certainly questions to be asked about Moore's use of rape as a plot device, but to the best of my knowledge no one has accused him of any sexual impropriety in real life.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Moore on that level. I spoke briefly with Neil Gaiman at a thing once and his name came up, and him and his ex wife both started going off about how much of a sweetheart he is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Moore on that level. I spoke briefly with Neil Gaiman at a thing once and his name came up, and him and his ex wife both started going off about how much of a sweetheart he is.

That's sorta what I figured, people call him a pedophile because of Lost Girls, but he married the (age appropriate adult) woman who illustrated it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yeah, as uncomfortable as I am with the rape and underage elements of his work (I’ve never been able to read Lost Girls) I feel like it’s meant to be awful and uncomfortable*, or in the case of LoEG he’s going for something contemporary.

* well he outright said he was going for funny when he introduced the Invisible Man

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Am I a hypocrite given I still have my League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ones?

No? Also how one deals with having or reading the works of people who've done bad things is a really really personal ones. I don't have any Ellis comics in my house and I don't watch Polanski movies but like... Céline was an actually nazi, literally convicted for nazi collaboration, but I still own copies of some of his novels because for whatever reason I can make that deal with myself. I teach the philosopher Carl Schmitt quite frequently, not despite of but because of his coziness with fascism in the 30s and 40s-- I think it's one of those things where understanding it from the inside out is useful. One of my favorite poets, Jack Spicer, was a manipulative jerk to almost everyone he ever met and by the time he died alone in the mid-60s there was probably not a gay man from Vancouver to San Francisco who did not think he was a complete rear end in a top hat, but to me that does not compromise the beauty and the difficulty of his poetry. I mean, even in terms of comics I happily thumb through my Fletcher Hanks books whenever I notice them sitting there on the shelf.

It's normal and reasonable to say "on a gut level, knowing that this person has hurt and abused others makes me uncomfortable with having his stuff in my home" or even more reasonably "I do not want to put $$ in such a person's wallet by buying their stuff anymore" but art is loving complicated, the process of reading and loving something is loving complicated. Planetary meant a lot to me. It hurt like hell to feel like a text that made me feel like its author was in some vicarious way reaching out to me and seeing me through the page was actually not who I thought he was, or who I wanted him to be. And even though I made the personal decision to ditch all my issues of Planetary that doesn't mean I'm a bad person for having that intense, intimate connection to the work and it doesn't make you a bad person either if you decide to ditch or hang on to anything by anybody for whatever reason.

Also more to the point-- I don't think Alan Moore has done anything wrong except really make some ill-judged choices about how to deploy certain motifs in his work. Which I think is endemic to any artist with ambitious scopes. You shoot high, sometimes you miss. Sometimes you blast a hole in your own foot. That doesn't make him a monster, it makes him, depending on how charitable you're wont to be, either an ambitious but imperfect creator, or a reclusive white guy in his late 60s.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Moore is, by all accounts, a homebody. He barely interacts with fans (hell, he barely interacts with his publishers and collaborators), he just hangs around his giant spoopy house in Northampton reading old grimoires and banging away at his word processor (oh, and smoking hella weed). He spends zero time cultivating groupies or preying on bright young things trying to break into the business or looking to take advantage of someone in the bar at the convention bar because he almost never leaves his house.

As other people have pointed out, there is a lot in his work that is problematic and has aged badly, but his actual personal behavior is hard to fault.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Moore is super nice when he does meet and greets, like at small libraries with a couple dozen locals.

He was molested as a child by a schoolteacher who preyed on many other children, too. If Moore is working through any weird feelings about sex through his comics as a result, and he's not hurting anyone or trying to groom teenagers or any of that tired narcissistic poo poo aging men do, I give him a free pass.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Do you remember where you saw this?

One of the responses to people talking about Marvel working with him again. It's possible some of them just latched onto Liefeld as an example of "injustice" or whatever and nothing he did specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rob had some lovely opinions during the election of I'm remembering correctly. Nothing directly related to it, but he was saying some CHUD adjacent poo poo. I don't recall any specifics though.