Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

lightpole posted:

Faking it is an art and requires mastering a few specific phrases. "What do you think?" is a good one. I also say "I don't know" a lot. Then you have to master a very noncommittal "Huh", "Oh really?", or "Is that so?" when someone brings up something you should have looked at and known but didn't. Then there's always "I don't think thats how it works but Im probably wrong, let me look into it". Have to hedge uncertainty or making your boss look bad and ensure there's always an out. Make sure to accept blame for anything that sounds like a big deal but noone actually cares about.

Speaking of officering, my STBD potable tank tested positive for e.coli so Im down to just the port going into China.

My go-to move lately has been "verifying that everyone involved is on the same page." Absolutely everyone is immediately willing to believe that no one else has any idea what's going on, so they'll just cough up whatever the most up-to-date info they have is to avoid being the rear end in a top hat that wasn't paying attention.

edit: the snipe that should have been an e-mail chain but no one would read it anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I've always wondered what would happen if a ship seriously failed these trials. Failed to the point of almost sinking, I mean.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've always wondered what would happen if a ship seriously failed these trials. Failed to the point of almost sinking, I mean.

Multi-billion dollar contract for Huntington Ingalls to fix it. :homebrew:

https://twitter.com/Warship_78/status/1406601477435576321

WHOOMPF

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Multi-billion dollar contract for Huntington Ingalls to fix it. :homebrew:

This would be nice cus I need the OT.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I had another dream about those fresh dinner rolls.

Does anyone have the official bread roll recipe? I've never been able to find it online.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

titties posted:

Does anyone have the official bread roll recipe? I've never been able to find it online.

nice try boris

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
hello fellow US NAVY SAILORS, dreaming of brunch omlettes in "galley of ship", can someone please share NAVINST on making these??

titties
May 10, 2012

God dammit i must be the only filipino to ever serve who doesn't know how to make the bread

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 18, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Add 5 parts gluten to 2 parts shame, stir in constipation. Portion, bake, then serve

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

titties posted:

I don't know if this has the specific recipe you're looking for, but here's the 2003 revision of the official US Armed Forces kitchen manual.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...6So08fE1OadcDF6

As a matter of course, unclassified military manuals are public record and are often available online. If not FOI requests can acquire them.

titties
May 10, 2012

Based on some of your responses I'm starting to wonder if my experience was unusual and most of you were not served fresh, made-from-scratch bread rolls with dinner every night while underway

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

titties posted:

Based on some of your responses I'm starting to wonder if my experience was unusual and most of you were not served fresh, made-from-scratch bread rolls with dinner every night while underway

Please die

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

titties posted:

We all suffered in our own ways.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

We all suffered in our own ways.

Is this Sgt. Chow-down?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

titties posted:

Ummm... the gently caress? Not on a tin can that's for sure. Although whenever rolls were made by the night baker Id always slip in and abscond back to combat with however many I could get my paws on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Our cooks couldn't make bread very well, but they did become great at making Corn Bread.

...because they ordered 10x the amount of cornbread and we were low on all other carbs. So cornbread, four meals a day, for a month. After two weeks they started trying to mix up the monotony. Jalapeno cornbread, peanut butter corn bread, coffee ground corn bread, soft serve ice cream mix corn bread, oatmeal cornbread, pretty much anything that could reasonably be mixed into the batch

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

titties posted:

We had hot rolls every once and while but it's the kind of thing you'd get from a hotel buffet or something. Our real creature comfort was the soft serve machine with accompanying flavor requests. Root beer floats after watch was a nice treat I got to have 1.3 times a day, every day we were on deployment.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The only thing I can recall being baked from scratch on my boat was chocolate chip cookies every once in a while, and you could only get them if you had some filipinos in your workspace lmao

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Our real creature comfort was the soft serve machine

I used to make milkshakes using the soft serve and take them back on watch with me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A soft serve machine? Oh man that would have been awesome. We had... uh... nothing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

titties posted:

Mods, please tell Crab Dad to not post on his alts

We did a crew swap with the Charles De Gaulle on Deployment 2. One of the guys I was on watch with frequently was part of the swap. I demanded that he share every detail of the breads and cheeses that were available during his stay, which he assured me were excellent.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
That goddamn soft-serve machine was the bane of E-Div's existence on my boat. A highly visible piece of gear that was always getting broken and got the crew howling to fix it. Forget all the engine room equipment, there were two things that always got everyone's attention and ruined my offgoing when they were broken by someone else - the soft-serve machine and the dryer.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I spent a day on an Aussie frigate in the Indian Ocean once and they had racks of freshly baked bread available for the crew 24/7 and the galley food was loving amazing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Crew: any chance of getting hot food for midrats?

Skipper: lol, no, gently caress you.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lou Takki posted:

I spent a day on an Aussie frigate in the Indian Ocean once and they had racks of freshly baked bread available for the crew 24/7 and the galley food was loving amazing.

Dude same. So good.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

scripterror posted:

That goddamn soft-serve machine was the bane of E-Div's existence on my boat. A highly visible piece of gear that was always getting broken and got the crew howling to fix it. Forget all the engine room equipment, there were two things that always got everyone's attention and ruined my offgoing when they were broken by someone else - the soft-serve machine and the dryer.

The loving soft serve machine was the bane of my existence when I was providing logistics to a remote work site.

gently caress that loving thing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
in the Seabees we got MREs, except when the first classes forgot to distribute MREs, but then that wasn't addressed because the first classes are future Chiefs and they need to learn Chief leadership, such as not feeding your troops. also the galley in garrison routinely had moldy fruit

jfc that community needs to be disbanded

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

King of Bees posted:

Crew: any chance of getting hot food for midrats?

Skipper: lol, no, gently caress you.

I swear our SUPPO ordered as much NOBREAD as he could for every UNREP. Because that's what we had at literally every meal. No bread. Piles of peanut butter, jelly, jam, butter. No bread. Not even crackers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lou Takki posted:

I was the unofficial liaison officer on my first two ships (because I was the only officer that spoke more than one language and being TRAINO meant I didn't have any actual responsibility) and took a PEP billet for my third tour. I must've taken meals on the ships of 15+ other navies during normal operations, and every single one of them had better food than the poo poo we got.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My recruiter said that being on a ship in the Mexican navy was honestly better in every way and they had basically a full bar open just about all the time.

The only reason he told me this was because I was whatever they call NSW poolees now so he knew I was smart enough to know ship life was trash but dumb enough to join anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Navy Thread: That Goddamn Soft-Serve Machine was the Bane of E-Div

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's called autodog, dammit!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
From the brief stint I did on HMS Queen Elizabeth: the quality of the food was pretty similar, and the dining experience was overall a lot more strict than on a US carrier. You were basically expected to come in, eat your food, and leave, whereas on a CVN it's fairly common to chill out for a while and shoot the poo poo in the wardroom if you don't have anything else to do. It's one of the main social outlets on the ship.

Now the massive caveat to that is that there's a full loving bar right next door to the wardroom on QNLZ, so that's where most of the socializing happens. And they served some A+ hangover food after Taranto Night, which is basically a big bash where the air wing gets together to commemorate kicking the poo poo out of the Italians during WW2. "Hammy eggy cheesy" is like a little slice of Waffle House out at sea.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's called autodog, dammit!

nobody calls it the autodog, because thats dumb, unless you're a 35 year old first trying to preserve "culture" to impress the mess.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

nobody calls it the autodog, because thats dumb, unless you're a 35 year old first trying to preserve "culture" to impress the mess.

It was literally labeled on the machines on my ships and everyone called it that with no pretense. But that was a long time ago so I guess that's stopped since?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The autodog was what we called the machine that supposed gave us coffe on the mess decks. But nobody knew how to make a decent cuppa so we had our own installed in the CIC Annex.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think I was ever on a ship that had a soft serve machine. But I do seem to recall that for a few months on my 2006 Westpac on the Lincoln they had a slushie machine, but the machine was tucked away in a little annex thing off the side of the aft mess decks, maybe even next to a hot dog machine or something, and they would serve the slushies and the finger foods after dinner, maybe around 2000 or so. I could, of course, be remembering things wrong. It has been quite a while. But I had never heard the term auto-dog until this thread yesterday.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was a cook in the ARMY national guard and we had a soft serve machine. They carried that thing around on a litter and practically worshipped it. We had a CO change and he, as part of addressing some PT failures, had it removed. I think the full timers had a meeting with the guy because it lasted all of two months before it was back in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I only had a reefer on the USNS ship i was on and the galley just kept it stocked with novelties but never any non-dairy stuff so I rarely ever went into it.