Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

ISIS got pretty much crushed in Syria and Iraq too, but again arguably tattered remains of a defeated army.

Then again were the KMT defeated or did they just regroup on loser island?

If I kick someone out of my house and they go live in the bin shelter at the end of the block, while loudly screaming that they still own my house and actually the bin shelter is the only real bit of my house, I've won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://nation.cymru/news/conservative-mp-launches-campaign-to-put-a-portrait-of-the-queen-in-every-british-home/

Tories are loving weird.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Taiwan actually is sort of corn-cob shaped now I look at it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

60 loving years ago Till Death Do Us Part established Alf Garnet as a petty-minded bigot living in the past by opening on a shot of him proudly cleaning the picture of the Queen in his living room.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 24, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The same people who won the war by storming the Normandy Visitor Centre when they were 12 recognize Alf as the sensible protagonist.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Has anybody really "won" a war against irregulars in recent history?

Malayan Emergency springs to mind.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Obligatory

https://twitter.com/IvanIvanovichC2/status/1408027127736373251

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Do we get a free Charles one too when Liz kicks it in the next decade?
Even BETTER! Have one side Liz, one side Chuck. Half the costs!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just made me remember I've got a photo of Dennis Skinner somewhere that came with a miners' history thing, I should put that up.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

didn't know the forums were catering to the PRC market.

I mean you can hardly dispute that the Republic lost the Chinese civil war regardless of what you think about the prc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean you can hardly dispute that the Republic lost the Chinese civil war regardless of what you think about the prc

The joke was that "loser island" is probably the second option for PRC preferred terminology re: taiwan immediately after "china"

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Isn't that just called pound sterling?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Needs More Goop posted:

Isn't that just called pound sterling?

Lol if you have coins or notes in your home

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This might be a silly question but is there any information as to whether the vaccines interact with hayfever? Because mine has been absolutely poo poo this year while last year I hardly had it at all.

I don't know if there is a general overlap between immune system activity and autoimmune disorders. Because I hadn't been ill at all last year or I think the year before that, not sure if my immune system was on holiday or something from lack of use.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

This might be a silly question but is there any information as to whether the vaccines interact with hayfever? Because mine has been absolutely poo poo this year while last year I hardly had it at all.

I don't know if there is a general overlap between immune system activity and autoimmune disorders. Because I hadn't been ill at all last year or I think the year before that, not sure if my immune system was on holiday or something from lack of use.

No indications of that have been reported, no

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if there is a general overlap between immune system activity and autoimmune disorders.
There definitely is, as evidenced both by correlation between HIV and hayfever/sudden allergies and by immunomodulating parasites/symbiants like hookworm reducing hayfever/allergies, but whether any of the various types of vaccine cause allergy changes I don't know.

e: ^ Guess that's a very likely no then.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A lot of people have hayfever, it would have been noticed probably by now.
Unless.....new variant confirmed. Owlfancier variant!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fair enough if it isn't. Just wasn't sure. The allergies do vary year on year but last year was notable for how mild it was, I don't think I even took anything for them, and now I'm on everything I can get and still have my eyes glued shut half the time. I thought it might be masking that helped but it seems not. Also I keep sneezing into the drat thing which is gross.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone I know that has allergies, including myself, has had a massively shite time with hayfever this year and my worst periods were weeks before I even got the vaccine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mrpwase posted:

Lol if you have coins or notes in your home

I have so many coins. Almost all of which are coppers and I really should take to the bank just to be rid of them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I hate to be this way busy I’m styling here please can someone done esjust me to chat

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/JackBannister94/status/1408182292107960330?s=20

https://twitter.com/JackBannister94/status/1408188210040147970?s=20

Turning a big dial taht says "cops" on it and constantly looking back to the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m so sad

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm so not surprised. Acab. gently caress him and the horse of centrist diarrhea he rode in on.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yes that’s the thing we need to concentrate on, the scourge of boy racers. Bring back the Blair glory years with fresh new ASBOs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol they were so obviously all sat around a table covered in empty plastic sandwich containers and paper cafe nero cups trying to work out what it was about new labour that worked and after 8 minutes of silence interspersed only occasionally with sucking noises, someone said "... ASBOs?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They were all sat around a table covered in empty plastic sandwich containers and paper cafe nero cups trying to work out what it was about new labour that worked and after 8 minutes of silence a lawnmower engine sounded in the distance.

"I don't like those youths and their brr brr bikes."
"Far too loud, they do wheelies along the country lanes."
"Painted in bright green and they go vrrrrrrr and it disturbs my outdoor time."
"I was threatened by a youth in a helmet. He looked at me and then rode off making all the noises. Probably didn't even have a tax disc."
"Three of them, they rode past my Landrover and one of them made a gesture."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You doing ok bud?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends on your definition of "win" and "irregular" of course. Assuming you mean an occupying force versus a widespread insurgency, not so much. Arguably the Soviets versus Hungary and Czechoslovakia, although there wasn't really much in the way of actual military resistance there. End of the Chinese Civil War maybe? The remnants of the Kuomintang were definitely an irregular force by that point, but then the tattered remains of a defeated army is a very different beast to an actual insurgency.

Malayan emergency is usually the go to example; that involved an ethnically Chinese vanguard trying to take over an ethnically Malay nation for their own good and being stopped by the British. Merdeka!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's also all the atrocities from then & whatnot.

Strong Britain, Great Nation.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Stronk

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 25, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/JackBannister94/status/1408182292107960330?s=20

https://twitter.com/JackBannister94/status/1408188210040147970?s=20

Turning a big dial taht says "cops" on it and constantly looking back to the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Isn't the yacht bit 'Captain Hindsight' again? Sure I saw something yesterday saying Bojo has backed down on it.
Brenda didn't want it either from what I gather.

Ed: not quite what I saw:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/22/royal-yacht-plan-silly-populist-nonsense-says-ex-tory-chancellor

Arguing over who will pay.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 25, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is seeming less and less like satire and more and more like "so you still think you can control them?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmiZg6nDtGw

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So is no-one going to comment that the banjo oval office from Mumford and Sons is taking his ball and going home because he praised a nazi propagandist's book, and then we all found out his half-billionaire dad is the co-author of the Lib Dem Orange Book and fascist prick behind GB News?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

This is seeming less and less like satire and more and more like "so you still think you can control them?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmiZg6nDtGw

I like this version of OBON someone posted in CSPAM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdctl0sYQ8

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gorn Myson posted:

Everyone I know that has allergies, including myself, has had a massively shite time with hayfever this year and my worst periods were weeks before I even got the vaccine.

Hayfever is insane this year. We've seen so many prescriptions for allergy medications go through our pharmacy, a lot more than most years.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I generally have very bad allergies, but I was actually thinking recently that it hadn’t been too bad this year.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Matt Hancock's been shagging his aide.

https://twitter.com/MrRobertTimothy/status/1408237133505105921?s=20

He's such a massive loving dweeb, I fail to see the appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A friend of mine who hasn't had a strong allergic reaction before was hit really badly this year including one full on asthma style attack.

That's also before having any vaccine shot or anything. Not had Covid either, as far as he knows, and he's had several tests.