Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

actionjackson posted:

found the twin cities record, I remember this (sort of). I definitely remember the 81 dewpoint in 2005.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2011/07/19/crazy-record-highest-dew-point-ever-at-msp-airport-82

119 heat index lol

at the same time, the state dewpoint record of 88 (wtf) occurred in northern Minnesota

2005 was a really really bad summer for the entire Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I looked up a dew point chart, 104 air temp + 70 dew point is 113 heat index, and I would imagine a 70+ dew point is not an issue for Florida

Florida has fairly temperate weather compared to most other states, both winters and summers. For example the city of Tampa has never hit 100 degrees on the official record, and anything above 95 degrees is rare.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

1stGear posted:

How much of that agriculture is for almonds and wine grapes

Wine is less bad than you might think. When it’s dry, it tricks grape vines into focusing on growing the grapes themselves, rather than growing the plant. Still though, there’s a lot of vineyards.

As for almonds, CA is projected to grow 3.2 billion pounds of almonds this year. According to nuts.com, a pound of almonds = 400 almonds. Each almond requires 1.1 gallons of water. So, 3.2 billion * 400 * 1.1 = 1.408 trillion gallons of water.

lol we’re all gonna die

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I still remember a maddening argument in D&D like a decade ago where there's this enormous freshwater aquifer in the middle of the country and an oil spill above it could ruin it all and some oil industry dude was arguing it's totally fine to build more pipelines over it and everyone who opposes it is an idiot who doesn't understand the energy sector.

that sounds like d&d ca. 2021 as well

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shear Modulus posted:

west coast best coast

THE BIG ONE: Heard you liked the West Coast so I made a bunch more of it for you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bob Socko posted:

Wine is less bad than you might think. When it’s dry, it tricks grape vines into focusing on growing the grapes themselves, rather than growing the plant. Still though, there’s a lot of vineyards.

As for almonds, CA is projected to grow 3.2 billion pounds of almonds this year. According to nuts.com, a pound of almonds = 400 almonds. Each almond requires 1.1 gallons of water. So, 3.2 billion * 400 * 1.1 = 1.408 trillion gallons of water.

lol we’re all gonna die

Irrigating alfalfa fields iirc is actually the largest agricultural use of water in California, but it's not like almonds are better. They both suck.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HelloSailorSign posted:

Irrigating alfalfa fields iirc is actually the largest agricultural use of water in California, but it's not like almonds are better. They both suck.

I assume its for animal feed because I'm the only person I know who puts sprouts on a sandwich

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does... does Czechia often get tornadoes?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
lol the track & field finals for olympic trials are in Eugene, OR on Sunday. I bet racing a 5k in 110F feels fuckin great.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

they actually grow rice too

like this is literally a flooded rice field near redding ca area from a week or two back that's growing rice to be exported

the canal carryings all the waters around are all just dirt trenches because it's cheaper and easier than lining the surface with concrete, and it will naturally let the water seep into the surrounding crop area

it was almost 100f out at the time when i took that pic and it's going to be 110+ there in the next few days lol

so what do you mean we are in a drought??

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

coke posted:

they actually grow rice too

like this is literally a flooded rice field near redding ca area from a week or two back that's growing rice to be exported

the canal carryings all the waters around are all just dirt trenches because it's cheaper and easier than lining the surface with concrete, and it will naturally let the water seep into the surrounding crop area

it was almost 100f out at the time when i took that pic and it's going to be 110+ there in the next few days lol

so what do you mean we are in a drought??

Lmao rice doesn’t even need to be flooded. They just do it to keep away weeds and pests. So it’s an extra layer of stupid

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol the track & field finals for olympic trials are in Eugene, OR on Sunday. I bet racing a 5k in 110F feels fuckin great.

See, this is why I don’t run. Too dangerous.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Per acre I think alfalfa is still like a third more water than rice, but then I'd have to compare yields and :effort:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao rice doesn’t even need to be flooded. They just do it to keep away weeds and pests. So it’s an extra layer of stupid

i mean, all things being equal, is that better or worse than relying on herbicides & pesticides?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

right, agriculture in california uses extremely water-intensive methods because big landowners have absurd grandfathered water rights from hundreds of years ago that let them pull as much water as they want for practically free so it's cheaper than trying to conserve water

meanwhile normal people are asked to save water by flushing toilets less and taking shorter showers

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Jun 25, 2021

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol here in KC we're going to get our yearly 25 year storm tonight with 3-5 inches of rain.

not sure why it's called a 25 year storm since they happen more than once a year now but hey I don't make the rules, I just go outside and shut my house off from the sewer system because when we get more than 3 inches of rain the storm sewer system can't handle it and all that water goes into the city septic sewer system. I hear that's not supposed to happen but again, I don't make the rules.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

they still use both though :shrug:

it's more like the farmers with all the power and money were able to bribe the policy makers to make absurd claim on the need for water conservation (for everyone else)

ironically one of the academic person i was talking to mentioned how he had a chat with some israeli regarding the issue and the problem with california is "water is too cheap" especially for the large users

no one is going to waste water to grow crop in the desert when the water is as expensive as the residential pricing

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

right, agriculture in california uses extremely water-intensive methods because big landowners have absurd grandfathered water rights from hundreds of years ago that let them pull as much water as they want for practically free so it's cheaper than trying to conserve water

meanwhile normal people are asked to save water by flushing toilets less and taking shorter showers

I don’t know if it’s the case in California but I know the way some states’ water rights are set up you can actually lose your rights if you start significantly conserving water so there’s an incentive to not fix up your system too much

Laterite posted:

i mean, all things being equal, is that better or worse than relying on herbicides & pesticides?

Fair enough it’s just funny cause it’s so unnecessary

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

coke posted:

they still use both though :shrug:

it's more like the farmers with all the power and money were able to bribe the policy makers to make absurd claim on the need for water conservation (for everyone else)

ironically one of the academic person i was talking to mentioned how he had a chat with some israeli regarding the issue and the problem with california is "water is too cheap" especially for the large users

no one is going to waste water to grow crop in the desert when the water is as expensive as the residential pricing

water is definitely too cheap, same as how it's too cheap to pollute

coke
Jul 12, 2009
did some quick calculation

assuming farmer pays $200~500 per acre foot of water
the residential customers pays around $6/cubic feet (ebmud 2020 rate), after conversion to acre foot of water is... $2614 per acre foot

so yeah imagine if your residential water is 1/5 to 1/13 the price you are currently paying

oh and some places farmers pay even less for their water
https://aquaoso.com/blog/california-agricultural-water-prices/

so what do you mean we are in a drought???

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t know if it’s the case in California but I know the way some states’ water rights are set up you can actually lose your rights if you start significantly conserving water so there’s an incentive to not fix up your system too much

California actually has a problem that farmers continually report using their maximum water allocation so as to not lose any of it regardless of how much they've actually used. Half of the irrigation districts don't even bother to report and it's all done on paper. The reporting was instituted in 2007. The lightest possible rationing was instituted earlier this year and the farmers, who don't even know how much they use, are already crying rivers.

So anyway it's all completely hosed.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Complications posted:

California actually has a problem that farmers continually report using their maximum water allocation so as to not lose any of it regardless of how much they've actually used. Half of the irrigation districts don't even bother to report and it's all done on paper. The reporting was instituted in 2007. The lightest possible rationing was instituted earlier this year and the farmers, who don't even know how much they use, are already crying rivers.

So anyway it's all completely hosed.

quote:

Scheuring said the "unreasonable" designation "doesn't sit comfortably" with farmers who irrigate fields to grow crops and feed communities.
*use up all the man made water on mars to grow almonds*

*market them as special mars grown almonds and sells them at extreme profit*

"im growing all these things to feed the community!!"

*dies*

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

END THE NEWSOM-CREATED DUST BOWL

coke
Jul 12, 2009
also the 'farm' land is pretty much as barren as mars due to the pesticide and herbicide they use, like it's literally just dirt with nothing else when you walk though them

they usually call this 'substrate' because there's nothing else in the soil, not even earth worms when you dig down like 3~5 feet

so essentially you are eating lovely crops that's grown with the fertilizer with excessive water, intense sun and nothing else

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

coke posted:

did some quick calculation

assuming farmer pays $200~500 per acre foot of water
the residential customers pays around $6/cubic feet (ebmud 2020 rate), after conversion to acre foot of water is... $2614 per acre foot

so yeah imagine if your residential water is 1/5 to 1/13 the price you are currently paying

oh and some places farmers pay even less for their water
https://aquaoso.com/blog/california-agricultural-water-prices/

so what do you mean we are in a drought???

you’re off on that by a couple orders of magnitude too because an acre foot is 44,000 cubic feet

... but also when I click through that $6 rate is per 100 cubic feet

so I think it works out and we’re just transposing units incorrectly

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol here in KC we're going to get our yearly 25 year storm tonight with 3-5 inches of rain.

not sure why it's called a 25 year storm since they happen more than once a year now but hey I don't make the rules, I just go outside and shut my house off from the sewer system because when we get more than 3 inches of rain the storm sewer system can't handle it and all that water goes into the city septic sewer system. I hear that's not supposed to happen but again, I don't make the rules.

It's a misnomer. A "hundred year" storm really one in a hundred, which is just the reciprocal of a 1% chance of happening any given year. So yes, you can have multiple 1% events happen in sequential years or even in the same year, especially with a non-stationary climate!

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

you’re off on that by a couple orders of magnitude too because an acre foot is 44,000 cubic feet

... but also when I click through that $6 rate is per 100 cubic feet

so I think it works out and we’re just transposing units incorrectly

i think you are right, i just converted them all to gallons actually

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

everything i've read in the business press lately has been that finance and politics people have come around to the idea that now that biden is president global warming will be addressed and that it mostly involves phasing out gasoline cars for electric cars and the transition to a non-carbon-intensive economy will mostly be finished in maybe 10 or 20 years

this is also about what the biden admin has been messaging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gvvj56rzw

TLDR: lol. lmao.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SirPablo posted:

It's a misnomer. A "hundred year" storm really one in a hundred, which is just the reciprocal of a 1% chance of happening any given year. So yes, you can have multiple 1% events happen in sequential years or even in the same year, especially with a non-stationary climate!

right that makes sense but like a 3-5" rain is a lot more likely than 4% here

I mean maybe over the last century and a half it's accurate but they should probably readjust some poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's also fundamentally not how statistics and probability work but let's not let that stop us woooo USA

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

right that makes sense but like a 3-5" rain is a lot more likely than 4% here

I mean maybe over the last century and a half it's accurate but they should probably readjust some poo poo

https://hdsc.nws.noaa.gov/hdsc/pfds/pfds_map_cont.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I don't think I've ever been anywhere it was 113 and I lived in Florida for 25 years lmao

It was 113 in the arctic circle last summer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

I still remember a maddening argument in D&D like a decade ago where there's this enormous freshwater aquifer in the middle of the country and an oil spill above it could ruin it all and some oil industry dude was arguing it's totally fine to build more pipelines over it and everyone who opposes it is an idiot who doesn't understand the energy sector.

I bet it was from some account with a dozen years and like 100 total posts wasn't it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was 113 in the arctic circle last summer

Also 118 in the Arctic circle this summer. Right now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I bet it was from some account with a dozen years and like 100 total posts wasn't it

Nah it was one of those fuckers well known for digging in and never stopping posting until everyone else was too exhausted to argue anymore.

IIRC this was in the Dark Times between LF and CSPAM where you had to go post in D&D if you wanted to post about politics

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The Arctic is merely trying out the contrast hot/cold showers trend to maximize its glamour muscle growth and recovery. the sauna like heat is natural and not human induced. the Arctic wants to look lean and ice free for the cruise lines and yachts that will start going to the North Pole in summer for Endless Summer events

coke
Jul 12, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Also 118 in the Arctic circle this summer. Right now.
that can't be right let me just google that

https://www.livescience.com/arctic-circle-siberia-hot-day-2021.html

quote:

On the summer solstice (June 20 — the longest day of the year) two European Union satellites recorded a scorching temperature of 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48 degrees Celsius ) on the ground in Arctic Siberia.
:stare:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

Awesome that you can live in two disttinct parts of our brave new country, the one with way too little water and the one with too much water

Capitalism has always been about gross disparities in distribution of resources

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
POV: you are an almond farmer and one of your almonds has a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

https://twitter.com/wx_washington/status/1408284955717750784

:tif: :tif: :tif: