Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
As a general rule, I would not allow use of a low level spell to get around Mind Blank's prohibition on scrying magic by contacting the gods, short of going to the plane they reside on and knocking on their door. Even then, a check would likely be required.

But for the purposes of a Battle Royale, I would rule that teleporting away so that they are the "last one standing" is cheating, and the attempt to flee would automatically fail or be counter-spelled by the "referee", or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There are literally tons of rules and planes by which interplanar/teleportation doesn't work unless the owner/ruler of the domain allows it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

But for the purposes of a Battle Royale, I would rule that teleporting away so that they are the "last one standing" is cheating, and the attempt to flee would automatically fail or be counter-spelled by the "referee", or something along those lines.

Yeah agreed with that. As far as a Battle Royale goes it seems no different to me than simply forfeiting. The barmaid isn't the winner of a drinking contest just because she doesn't participate. I wouldn't force a player to stay in the fight if they want to see themselves as above it all, but this isn't PUBG - if you abandon the field then you shouldn't be on the podium.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 24, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If there's a level 20 cleric in the brawl, couldn't they just use their divine intervention feature to ask their god to bring you back?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaal posted:

Yeah agreed with that. As far as a Battle Royale goes it seems no different to me than simply forfeiting. The barmaid isn't the winner of a drinking contest just because she doesn't participate. I wouldn't force a player to stay in the fight if they want to see themselves as above it all, but this isn't PUBG - if you abandon the field then you shouldn't be on the podium.

Comedy option - there's some sort of ward set that if they teleport or planeshift out of the combat arena they explode and die instantly.

Edit: The arena is an unstable pocket dimension and any attempt to shift out of it through anything other than the normal entrance/exit causes a localized tear in the fabric of reality that sucks anyone nearby into a black hole

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 24, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

There are literally tons of rules and planes by which interplanar/teleportation doesn't work unless the owner/ruler of the domain allows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T4wp8wzjF0

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

change my name posted:

If there's a level 20 cleric in the brawl, couldn't they just use their divine intervention feature to ask their god to bring you back?

Tricky, for sure, because you could also just ask the god to make you the winner of the tournament. Same for Wish, really. Some of the endgame powers are going to conflict in ways that don't have a clear resolution.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The god can just say no

Kaal
May 22, 2002

please knock Mom! posted:

The god can just say no

At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Level 20 casters get to cast "wow, that is some bullshit" at least 1x/long rest.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Kaal posted:

At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.

that just means your god answers the phone, it doesn't force them to answer the question :colbert:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

please knock Mom! posted:

The god can just say no

Good album

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hello there.

At the start of my level 3 campaign, my party was made up of:

A Battlemaster Fighter.
A College of Whispers Bard.
A Hexblade Warlock.
A Hunter Ranger.
A Swashbuckler Rogue.

However recently the Battlemaster Fighter left and rest of the party is relatively squishy HP wise, has a max AC of 15, has mediocre out of combat healing capability, and has people whom either strike from range or hit and run. I am naturally going to balance encounters around this composition but I feel there is only so much I can do there. Given the Warlock has been making noises about somewhat fulfilling the Fighter's 'frontliner' position, would it be too much to provide some magical shield which has some other secondary benefit to survivability?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

From the upcoming MtG D&D set, there's going to be a free five-part adventure being released from the 29th onward. From levels 8-10.

It looks like it's going to be as generic Forgotten Realms as you can get (the promo material has the party fighting the Xanathar) but hey, free adventure if anyone is interested.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SkySteak posted:

Hello there.

A Battlemaster Fighter.
A Hexblade Warlock.
A Hunter Ranger.
A Swashbuckler Rogue.

However recently the Battlemaster Fighter left and rest of the party is relatively squishy HP wise, has a max AC of 15, has mediocre out of combat healing capability, and has people whom either strike from range or hit and run. I am naturally going to balance encounters around this composition but I feel there is only so much I can do there. Given the Warlock has been making noises about somewhat fulfilling the Fighter's 'frontliner' position, would it be too much to provide some magical shield which has some other secondary benefit to survivability?

What's the hexblade's dex? Assuming they're going two-hander scale mail/breastplate would be 16 ac with 14 dex. If they're not GWF a shield would take that to 18. Half plate will give one more too once the party can afford that. In two levels the swashbuckler (assuming he doesn't multiclass) will get uncanny dodge. The party's frontline isn't great but it seems like it should do.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just throw (level appropriate) caster enemies rather than bruisers at them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Got converted to 11 warlock and had both misty step and far step by accident. Then just recently met up with the DM in person for the first time in nearly 2 years and got permission to rectify the mistake for free.

Oh ho ho enjoy some dispel magics cast at level five lmao

/e or counterspells I haven't fully decided but I think dispel will be better in the long run

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Hexblade spell selection matters here as well, since they have a few ways to give attackers disadvantage at low levels(blur, darkness) but they are all reliant on the opponent not having blind/tremor/truesight, so if they start doing that be very careful with enemies with those abilities and maybe give some warning before they use up one of their two spell slots on something useless.

Medium armour + disadvantage + shield can make a pretty tanky character though!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kaal posted:

Yeah, but the kind of intervention is completely up to the DM, the god can just cast Skywrite to write 'not today' in the clouds. See it as a test of faith

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

imagine, thinking as a level 20 cleric you get to boss your god around

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

imagine getting to level 20 as a cleric and not getting to occasionally boss your god around

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Pretty sure you and your god would be bff at level 20, teaming up to cause shenanigans in the mortal plane.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

To be fair, listen, the relationship is tempestuous.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My fiancé has expressed an interest in trying some DnD. She's enjoyed games like Gloomhaven and Boss Monster, what could go wrong?

I'm thinking about running something like Lost Mine of Phandelver, using old Gloomhaven tiles to approximate maps and stand-ins, and having a couple of beefy NPC's to be in the party. I'll probably also adjust difficulty on the fly, i.e. one less goblin. I'll have a few tabs of DnDB open to manage characters. I haven't run LMP before, so I'll resist the urge to read ahead so we can both enjoy it.

Thoughts?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Hello there.

A Battlemaster Fighter.
A Hexblade Warlock.
A Hunter Ranger.
A Swashbuckler Rogue.

just keep it moving. keep it going, dont worry about this stuff at all. im entirely serious, you are going to hurt yourself more in the long run worrying about these things than if you just put forward problems to be solved. a five person dnd party has a lot of options available to them. they will figure it out. there is an awkward transition period as they have to adjust to not having a fighter but they will figure it out. especially with that composition lol

Shelvocke posted:

My fiancé has expressed an interest in trying some DnD. She's enjoyed games like Gloomhaven and Boss Monster, what could go wrong?

I'm thinking about running something like Lost Mine of Phandelver, using old Gloomhaven tiles to approximate maps and stand-ins, and having a couple of beefy NPC's to be in the party. I'll probably also adjust difficulty on the fly, i.e. one less goblin. I'll have a few tabs of DnDB open to manage characters. I haven't run LMP before, so I'll resist the urge to read ahead so we can both enjoy it.

Thoughts?
there are rules for solo dnd and sidekicks you will likely want to look into. be extremely careful on having npcs in the party, this is referred to as "dmpc" and it is really easy to mess up games by doing. if you are omniscient and helping the group anything you do is coloured by your perfect knowledge which makes even innocuous suggestions dangerous. lost mines is otherwise a great first adventure for virtually anybody

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 25, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pog boyfriend posted:

there are rules for solo dnd and sidekicks you will likely want to look into. be extremely careful on having npcs in the party, this is referred to as "dmpc" and it is really easy to mess up games by doing. if you are omniscient and helping the group anything you do is coloured by your perfect knowledge which makes even innocuous suggestions dangerous. lost mines is otherwise a great first adventure for virtually anybody

Yeah you will need to add in some party NPCs for a one-on-one solo game, but they should not have their own personalities. They should basically just be minions/hirelings under the complete control of the PC

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

SkySteak posted:

Hello there.

A Battlemaster Fighter.
A Hexblade Warlock.
A Hunter Ranger.
A Swashbuckler Rogue.

A College of Whispers Bard.-One of the strongest classes in the game (subclass is poor but whatever Bards are still Bards)

A Hexblade Warlock.- A class/subclass combination so front loaded it almost single handedly defines the optimization meta

A Hunter Ranger. - Meh, but has some useful tricks

A Swashbuckler Rogue. - A rogue who neither needs to hide, nor have any allies in order to sneak attack.

Honestly, they should be fine, like lob a couple softball fights in the first session or two after the battlemaster leaves, just so they can get used to their new paradigm, but they should be fine. Pog Boyfriend has the right of it, I wouldn't worry about making any alterations of any sort to how I was constructing things.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Rutibex posted:

Yeah you will need to add in some party NPCs for a one-on-one solo game, but they should not have their own personalities. They should basically just be minions/hirelings under the complete control of the PC

Not to worry. Enter Grog Grungle, dwarven cleric of whatever, and Lem Stoker, gnome evoker.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shelvocke posted:

Not to worry. Enter Grog Grungle, dwarven cleric of whatever, and Lem Stoker, gnome evoker.

I am absolutely stealing Lem for my next character

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Shelvocke posted:

Thoughts?

You should look up DND Duet. I think there's a 3-part adventure series called the Crystalline Curse (or something) that is explicitly built around having only one player. I think you can get the adventures from DM's Guild.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I've run a couple short 1/2 player games (10~ sessions each) and I essentially made the NPCs like Bioware game companions. They had their own personalities and side stuff they wanted to do, but ultimately the player called all the shots for whatever reason. Do the best you can in divorcing your character knowledge/DM knowledge when giving their opinion on the adventure and make clear to your player that the characters are always speaking their own opinions, you're not trying to give them hints or anything. It seemed to work out quite well.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DourCricket posted:

I've run a couple short 1/2 player games (10~ sessions each) and I essentially made the NPCs like Bioware game companions. They had their own personalities and side stuff they wanted to do, but ultimately the player called all the shots for whatever reason. Do the best you can in divorcing your character knowledge/DM knowledge when giving their opinion on the adventure and make clear to your player that the characters are always speaking their own opinions, you're not trying to give them hints or anything. It seemed to work out quite well.

This is the approach I use too. Have an NPC with character and goals but in the end players tell them what to do.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

So I've got a couple of cities in the campaign I'm running that are comically extreme examples of fantasy cities, just wondering if anyone else has better terms for the political systems in play.

One's basically fantasy Venice, entirely run by a sort of merchant aristocracy -- "anarchocapitalist aristocracy"? The "aristocracy" part is probably redundant but I include it for the players. Golden rule in the "he who has the gold, makes the rules" sense. Lots of backstabbing because assassins and spies are just another cost of doing business.

The other is pretty much divided up by which guild/s is/are controlling an area a la Lankhmar or Ankh-Morpork -- this one I don't know a term for. Also it's ostensibly a representative republic with each guild having voting power based on its membership except the more elite guilds would obviously never stand for such "under-representation" so I'm not sure how to square that. I'm not above "guild representative character level = voting power" but I could probably use some help here.

stringless fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 25, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Could make representation based on amount of taxes each guild "donate" to the coffers of the city government. So more elite guilds can buy more representation.

Or on property owned in square feet, or property owned assessment value.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

FFT posted:

So I've got a couple of cities in the campaign I'm running that are comically extreme examples of fantasy cities, just wondering if anyone else has better terms for the political systems in play.

One's basically fantasy Venice, entirely run by a sort of merchant aristocracy -- "anarchocapitalist aristocracy"? The "aristocracy" part is probably redundant but I include it for the players. Golden rule in the "he who has the gold, makes the rules" sense. Lots of backstabbing because assassins and spies are just another cost of doing business.

The other is pretty much divided up by which guild/s is/are controlling an area a la Lankhmar or Ankh-Morpork -- this one I don't know a term for. Also it's ostensibly a representative republic with each guild having voting power based on its membership except the more elite guilds would obviously never stand for such "under-representation" so I'm not sure how to square that. I'm not above "guild representative character level = voting power" but I could probably use some help here.

Have voting power tied directly to net worth, as in, if you have a net worth of 10,000 gold, you have 10,000 votes. This is explained to be totally fair because if you want more representation in the system all you have to do is pull yourself up by your boot straps and put the work in or whatever, so it's totally fair and even since anybody can (supposedly) make it to the top. Could even have a cottage industry of Wealth Assessors that can be bribed to overestimate your net worth to up your voting power.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

FFT posted:

On the topic of fantasy governments, I've always enjoyed putting players in extreme bureaucracies that just go ham with insane laws and restrictions in an extreme Lawful Stupid way...think a city that is the fantasy DMV.

The party comes in to the city of Modronad at the end of a relative dry season and it seems there is a mass of hobgoblins coming to attack the city maybe a two weeks by foot away. If nothing is done the city will be sacked and there is likely nothing the party can really do on their own to stop it. The citizens are scared but the soldiers and guards don't seem to be willing to do anything....it turns out that they can't mobilize their defense unless an official "Declaration of War-Mobilization," is issued by the ruling city council/king/what have you. So the party then can go to the ruling council to get the official document issued, however they find that in order to meet with the ruling council they need to have a "Writ of Clearance" issued by one of the cities High-Magistrates. They try and meet with a High-Magistrate and the High Magistrate is helpful but his hands are bound unless a Native Born Noble son of the city endorses them as honorary citizens. So the party then has to go and do some quest to get a noble on their side enough to endorse them, so they can get a "Writ of Clearance" so they can meet with the Ruling Council to try and get them to issue the "Declaration of War-Mobilization" so the guard and military can actually put up a defense against the oncoming Hobgoblin horde.

It turns out that rather than being aloof and uncaring the "Declaration of War-Mobilization" hadn't been issued by the ruling council because all official declarations have to be first issued on Papyrus paper, and since the weather had been so dry there had been a shortage and the ruling council's supply was....unfortunately....... out. Even worse, according to Modronad General Statute 33-27(A2)(1), all requisition requests for supplies for the ruling council must ALSO be issued on Papyrus......and so the ruling council is currently defunct unless they can find some papyrus. Unfortunately they can't just accept a gift of Papyrus from a citizen...as that would be bribery and they wouldn't want to be corrupt.

edit-changed statue to statute

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 26, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would beat you senseless and no jury in the world would convict me.

Seriously though, good idea.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I would beat you senseless and no jury in the world would convict me.

Seriously though, good idea.

Thanks! It is a lot of fun to see your player's eyes roll back in their head when they realize they need ANOTHER form. The sudden relaxation and sense of completion when they have finally gotten to the end of the chain of legal functionaries and the laughter/hatred the players and pc's feel when they realize the actual root cause of the problem.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Re: one on one game:
First session, there are some kobolds in a cave doing banditry and harassing villagers. Adventure is to go through the mini dungeon cave and whack the kobold leader.
Afterwards, the remaining kobolds come out and say that they never wanted to be bandits, leader just bullied them into it, and they're faithful retainers of the PC forever after (or until they fall into a bumbling death).
Gives npc party members to interact with who can have their own story hooks but can't steal the show or overbalance power too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Madmarker posted:

On the topic of fantasy governments, I've always enjoyed putting players in extreme bureaucracies that just go ham with insane laws and restrictions in an extreme Lawful Stupid way...think a city that is the fantasy DMV.

The party comes in to the city of Modronad at the end of a relative dry season and it seems there is a mass of hobgoblins coming to attack the city maybe a two weeks by foot away. If nothing is done the city will be sacked and there is likely nothing the party can really do on their own to stop it. The citizens are scared but the soldiers and guards don't seem to be willing to do anything....it turns out that they can't mobilize their defense unless an official "Declaration of War-Mobilization," is issued by the ruling city council/king/what have you. So the party then can go to the ruling council to get the official document issued, however they find that in order to meet with the ruling council they need to have a "Writ of Clearance" issued by one of the cities High-Magistrates. They try and meet with a High-Magistrate and the High Magistrate is helpful but his hands are bound unless a Native Born Noble son of the city endorses them as honorary citizens. So the party then has to go and do some quest to get a noble on their side enough to endorse them, so they can get a "Writ of Clearance" so they can meet with the Ruling Council to try and get them to issue the "Declaration of War-Mobilization" so the guard and military can actually put up a defense against the oncoming Hobgoblin horde.

It turns out that rather than being aloof and uncaring the "Declaration of War-Mobilization" hadn't been issued by the ruling council because all official declarations have to be first issued on Papyrus paper, and since the weather had been so dry there had been a shortage and the ruling council's supply was....unfortunately....... out. Even worse, according to Modronad General Statue 33-27(A2)(1), all requisition requests for supplies for the ruling council must ALSO be issued on Papyrus......and so the ruling council is currently defunct unless they can find some papyrus. Unfortunately they can't just accept a gift of Papyrus from a citizen...as that would be bribery and they wouldn't want to be corrupt.

You drove me to look up an adventure that it turns out I ran in 1991 titled the Bureaucratic Maze. It was a one-shot for high-level PCs, who needed to access and close a gate on the Abyss. But that gate had been captured by devils, who had constructed a massive maze around it and used legal forms and controls to prevent passage through it, as demons simply lacked the patience or mindset to fill out all the right forms, accurately, and if they didn't the maze's defenses would deal with them or trap them forever.

While there were 36 rooms scattered across the maze, each issuing at least one form, only 10 forms were necessary to succeed, most of which were "you have to go to Infernal Affairs room 7 and bring back form X in order to fill out this form." There was actually a map of the maze available, but again, they needed the correct requisition form for it.

I correctly anticipated that they'd be willing to blow a full Wish after a while to help them, and decided that the devils had a Bypass Godsdamned Bureaucracy form along with all the others, although if you didn't know it existed they didn't advertise the fact. The Wish revealed the form's existence, and I was kind and also provided the room number where they could get it, but they still had to travel there and fill the thing out.

My one caution to you based on how that went: there's a point where you can flip from simulating a mind-numbingly boring administrative process to being boring for the players (and you), so watch out for that.

Also, I think you mean "General Statute," unless the laws are being enforced by enchanted statues, which I admit would be pretty fun.