Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wow people really don't like reloading huh.
Plasma rifle "reload" in original DOOM is a cool mechanic and I wish more games had a gun like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like reloading. It's a satisfyingly tactile thing that lets you put a cool animation in and showcase how the gun works. It's also a good way to give a different rhythm to each gun.

Just don't make a game where it takes multiple reloads to kill a single enemy.

Ahhhh I see.

Sometimes I forget people don't play on the easier difficulties like me so I didn't have that issue with Prodeus. :shobon:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocket Pan posted:

Unfortunately nothing that exciting. It was Nevander's Doom64 Retribution "mod", and he accused us of taking his story ideas for his level sets. Which we didn't even know existed at the time.

Oh, the boring kind of crazy. :sad:

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like reloading. It's a satisfyingly tactile thing that lets you put a cool animation in and showcase how the gun works. It's also a good way to give a different rhythm to each gun.

Just don't make a game where it takes multiple reloads to kill a single enemy.

Cool reloads make me think of Resident Evil 4, where the Chicago Typewriter has infinite ammo yet still has multiple reload animations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wow people really don't like reloading huh.

Reloading is like any other game mechanic - it should be there because it has a role in the design and not because It Should Be There, Everyone Else Has It or Why Not

See also: regenerating health / shields, iron sights, stamina-dependent sprinting, crouch and prone stances, quick melee attacks, etc etc

I might not be a huge fan of Doom Eternal's mechanics, but I at least appreciate that it's brought the conversation of mechanical tuning to modern FPSes in a way nothing else really has. I just hope it doesn't result in too many developers seeing it's success and then, instead of having a deep think about their own games' mechanics, just filing the serial numbers off of Glory Kills.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DoombatINC posted:

I just hope it doesn't result in too many developers seeing it's success and then, instead of having a deep think about their own games' mechanics, just filing the serial numbers off of Glory Kills.

Look into your heart. You know what will happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

For anyone who's missed the GOTY

https://twitter.com/CSoftproducts/status/1408130868846211075?s=20

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ookiimarukochan posted:

Played some Prodeus on Game Pass and specifically describing your game as a "boomer shooter" when other than the (weirdly filtered) graphics it feels very modern is certainly a choice.

Prodeus is a both a stylistic and design mess and I don't think the dev had a very clear vision of what it was supposed to be.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BattleMaster posted:

Prodeus is a both a stylistic and design mess and I don't think the dev had a very clear vision of what it was supposed to be.

I agree with this even though I still like it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXhZWi3c-UA
(keyboard and mouse!)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Didn’t Wolfenstein 3D have K&M support?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Didn’t Wolfenstein 3D have K&M support?

Yes.

There's this persistent myth that playing Doom with a mouse was a late(r) addition, but it's wholly and entirely borne out of people conflating their memory of not having a mouse in those early days, and confusing that with the game not supporting it. W3D (and the Dooms) were made on NeXT workstations — in an entirely mouse-driven environment — and their support of that already fairly common device was completely natural. Indeed, by the time Doom came around, I'm not sure there was a single peripheral, commercial or home-soldered, that it didn't support.

The only part that wasn't natural yet was what the accompanying keyboard commands should be, so the defaults were more geared towards keyboard-only play than the K&M combo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doom 2 is my favorite fighting game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wolf3d had mouse support but you couldn’t turn off player movement on the vertical axis. i have no clue how you were supposed to play it like that. pick up and reposition your mouse every ten paces? it feels like they designed the mouse controls so you could play it without using the keyboard at all. i guess that was cool in those days

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Tippis posted:

Yes.

There's this persistent myth that playing Doom with a mouse was a late(r) addition, but it's wholly and entirely borne out of people conflating their memory of not having a mouse in those early days, and confusing that with the game not supporting it. W3D (and the Dooms) were made on NeXT workstations — in an entirely mouse-driven environment — and their support of that already fairly common device was completely natural. Indeed, by the time Doom came around, I'm not sure there was a single peripheral, commercial or home-soldered, that it didn't support.

The only part that wasn't natural yet was what the accompanying keyboard commands should be, so the defaults were more geared towards keyboard-only play than the K&M combo.

I think there was less awareness of how awesome the mouse is for FPS games back then. Myself and my childhood friends just used the keyboard exclusively, even though we had mice for our computers. It wasn't until Quake that I realized how good it was.

Edit: I just remembered that original Quake didn't have mouselook on by default. You had to type +mlook in the console. And the + meant that it was a command that would stop working once the key it was bound to was released, so it was designed to be a temporary "stop and look around" option. Entering it straight into the console meant that there was no accompanying button release to turn it off.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 24, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Weedle posted:

wolf3d had mouse support but you couldn’t turn off player movement on the vertical axis. i have no clue how you were supposed to play it like that. pick up and reposition your mouse every ten paces? it feels like they designed the mouse controls so you could play it without using the keyboard at all. i guess that was cool in those days

One solution would be one of those orb mouses where you spin a ball, I had one of those back in the 90s. Pretty rad.

E: Trackball mouse

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom 2 is my favorite fighting game
Doom 2 is my favorite Doom clone.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Weedle posted:

You just had to be a bit more precise and/or learn to counteract it with keyboard movement :haw:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I just keep scooping my mouse in Wolf3D ever since 93 I don't care what y'all think :colbert:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tippis posted:

There's this persistent myth that playing Doom with a mouse was a late(r) addition, but it's wholly and entirely borne out of people conflating their memory of not having a mouse in those early days, and confusing that with the game not supporting it.
PCs capable of playing DOOM, or even Wolfenstein 3D, mostly shipped with Windows 3.x for which a mouse was effectively standard if not incredibly common. So they probably did have a mouse, but what may have happened is that they didn't have a DOS mouse driver loaded when playing those games and so the mouse never worked. That was especially likely with DOOM since it required most of 4 MB to run, and on a 4 MB machine people often relied on a DOS boot disk or DOS 6 boot menu with minimal drivers, since OEM DOS configuration often had enough drivers loaded that DOOM wouldn't run.

I also discovered recently that early versions of the DOOM setup program (v1.0 or v1.0) defaulted to keyboard only controls, while later versions defaults to keyboard + mouse. And yes, while DOOM was playable with a keyboard and mouse, Wolfenstein 3D was less so since it used a "strafe key" as a modifier on the arrow (turn) keys, instead of dedicated left/right strafe keys.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cat Machine posted:

Plasma rifle "reload" in original DOOM is a cool mechanic and I wish more games had a gun like that

Doom Zero removes this and it's the one huge misstep in an otherwise good megawad. It's worth playing just to see how boring the PG becomes without that pause between volleys.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

treat posted:

Doom Zero removes this and it's the one huge misstep in an otherwise good megawad. It's worth playing just to see how boring the PG becomes without that pause between volleys.

Why would they do this. Does it still do that in the official add on version in the unity port?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake will use your mouse fully correctly, but you have to change a variable in the console every time you were so close!!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
huh?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barudak posted:

Quake will use your mouse fully correctly, but you have to change a variable in the console every time you were so close!!

just put +mlook into autoexec.cfg psh (fov 110 too)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would they do this. Does it still do that in the official add on version in the unity port?

Yes, it's just a DeHackEd modification. Doom Zero sports a lot of changes that were made for the sake of change, most notably with enemies using completely different sound effects.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would they do this.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/4qkCTXEiilEgmJaGzcgLgj/nods-to-mods-interview-doom-zero

quote:

The changes to the Plasma Rifle was the result of me noticing that a lot of players generally chose not to use it very often, if at all, once they pick up the BFG. Maybe the BFG was just more fun to use, perhaps? So I tried to make the Plasma Rifle slightly more appealing to use by adding a (subjectively) more satisfying pulsing firing sound effect rather than the blaring "WAA-WAA" sound that it used to make. I also got rid of the cooldown animation just to help it feel more nimble.

I feel like maybe the solution here is not to give out the best weapon in the game quite so much? Assuming the problem is actually a problem, which I'm unconvinced of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But the BFG sucks? Its just a super shotgun 2: hyper fighting edition

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The plasma gun should have been able to pierce through multiple enemies.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Silly balance change, then make the bfg shots more expensive, if that's the problem. I also like how the PG has a little quirk that you have to take in account.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

people hate on the plasma gun sound so much but its one of the only energy weapons in gaming history to have a powerful sound. it sounds like its unleashing a torrent of death, whereas i barely use it in doom 64 because the idle buzz pisses me off and the sound is terrible.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I am absolutely loving Prodeus so far. I'm only a couple levels in, but since the game is a "preview" does that mean there will be more weapons/levels added over time? Or does it just mean "there may be a ton of glitches, just deal with it for now until we work on fixing them"?

Also, the trend of using a metal as gently caress soundtrack is a-ok with me :rock:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisterdDave posted:

I am absolutely loving Prodeus so far. I'm only a couple levels in, but since the game is a "preview" does that mean there will be more weapons/levels added over time? Or does it just mean "there may be a ton of glitches, just deal with it for now until we work on fixing them"?

Also, the trend of using a metal as gently caress soundtrack is a-ok with me :rock:

Game Preview means Early Access, but I don't think they've posted a roadmap as such. I'm sure more levels are coming.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

people hate on the plasma gun sound so much but its one of the only energy weapons in gaming history to have a powerful sound. it sounds like its unleashing a torrent of death, whereas i barely use it in doom 64 because the idle buzz pisses me off and the sound is terrible.

Yeah it rules - them changing the sound effect is almost as silly as getting rid of the pull up animation.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
it’s also an extremely unique mechanic

many games have the delay on fire (BFG, gun spinning up, laser charging, etc) and all games have some sort of time between shots, but almost none have a delay only when you stop shooting

it adds an interesting layer to combat when your choices are continue shooting or stop shooting and have to stop for a few seconds

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/TechRaptr/status/1408247841311453184

Grab Ultima Underworld if you haven't already.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That seems like a bad sign for my hopes of Syndicate 2012 finally coming to GOG.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tim Thomas posted:

it’s also an extremely unique mechanic

many games have the delay on fire (BFG, gun spinning up, laser charging, etc) and all games have some sort of time between shots, but almost none have a delay only when you stop shooting

it adds an interesting layer to combat when your choices are continue shooting or stop shooting and have to stop for a few seconds

This, because of the mechanic, sometimes it's better to waste a few cell ammo even if they are rare while switching targets, because there can be situations where you don't want to slow down your torrent of plasma.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

catlord posted:

That seems like a bad sign for my hopes of Syndicate 2012 finally coming to GOG.

I still don't get why Shadow of the Horned Rat is on there but not its much more playable sequel.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I don't think this got posted yet: Another new retro FPS based on the GZDoom engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNsKV30l-PE

Also GZDoom-related: The mod Ashes: Afterglow, sequel to Ashes 2063, will probably see its final release before the end of the year, and the dev team recently posted another teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcmmthGGRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of cyberpunk and doom, the guy behing the Total Chaos mod is working on a new game that looks a blast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varoEJiaxjo