Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Normalize graduation, but let's not speculate about people's motivations.
Thinking about "who will be next" is not healthy, and a negative vibe to everyone still toughing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tbf this seems mostly because Ame doesn't push the envelope with content so much as format and likes experimenting with the vtuber medium. The fish tank dono display, the legs, the weird chat interaction almost-minigame from her outfit reveal, she enjoys playing with the technical aspect of streaming (as her...memorable debut loving around with the warping effects demonstrated) and Cover seems generally cool with that, especially when a bunch of other people even outside the company Follow the Leader

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not surprised on Lulu graduating, she was literally fainting and had health problems lately.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PerOlus posted:

Normalize graduation, but let's not speculate about people's motivations.
Thinking about "who will be next" is not healthy, and a negative vibe to everyone still toughing it out.

This.

Yes Vtubing is a creative entertainment job, so even disregarding external reasons, you will have people quitting because of the burnout, or because they found something better, or for private reasons, etc... However it is also good to keep in mind that regardless of which creative or entertainment job we are talking about, there are also plenty of people that are capable of feeling fulfilled and content doing it for their entire life, especially if they are successful at it and it pays their bills (and earns them plenty of extra) and Vtubing is no different. There will be Vtubers that graduate/quit in a few years (or maybe even few months). There will also be Vtubers that will be still active and happily streaming for next two decades. Feeling like a graduation is the end of the world is unhealthy, but obsessing about how your favorite Vtuber will absolutely quit streaming in a year or two at most, because that's clearly just how the job is, is just as unhealthy, only in different way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tae posted:

Not surprised on Lulu graduating, she was literally fainting and had health problems lately.

She has given no reason yet, so acting "Not surprised" about her motivations you don't actually know anything about is rather lame and premature.

E: Also if you're referring specifically to her blacking out for a bit on stream, that was over a half a year ago.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 24, 2021

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh no! I really liked Lulu. She had this great calm demeanor and was really good at setting things up so that she could just look into the camera as a joke and have it land. One of the first clips that brought me into the Vtube hole was one where she got knocked off of something in Ghost & Goblins, paused, looked at the camera and whispered "what do you think is going to happen?" She then unpaused and died. It was fuckin' great

But she did seem to have a seriously grueling schedule where she could stream for like 12 hours at a time. Her 10 hour Ringfit stream indicated that she might just have a lot of stamina, but it's hard to keep that up forever.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Huh, cool that Ina's PSO2 stream is sponsored, but FBK is the one that needs it more with all the whaling. :v:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Lyer posted:

Huh, cool that Ina's PSO2 stream is sponsored, but FBK is the one that needs it more with all the whaling. :v:

I would imagine that its Sega's North American branch that is sponsoring Ina. Sega Japan needs to step up their sponsor game. Please give Fubuki more money to whale.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sasuga Ina, did her character creation before stream

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Ina really nailed her avatar in the game =D

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Grondoth posted:

Oh no! I really liked Lulu. She had this great calm demeanor and was really good at setting things up so that she could just look into the camera as a joke and have it land. One of the first clips that brought me into the Vtube hole was one where she got knocked off of something in Ghost & Goblins, paused, looked at the camera and whispered "what do you think is going to happen?" She then unpaused and died. It was fuckin' great

But she did seem to have a seriously grueling schedule where she could stream for like 12 hours at a time. Her 10 hour Ringfit stream indicated that she might just have a lot of stamina, but it's hard to keep that up forever.

I recently watched her playing Subnautica and her response to the Sunbeam blowing up was "tamaya".

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
As the industry grows and matures, graduations are going to become commonplace. I imagine in 1-2 years we'll have arcs in this thread every 3-4 months about someone new quitting. So eventually it all gets normalized and isn't this watershed moment we're experiencing right now; it'll just be a Tuesday.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AmbientParadox posted:

As the industry grows and matures, graduations are going to become commonplace. I imagine in 1-2 years we'll have arcs in this thread every 3-4 months about someone new quitting. So eventually it all gets normalized and isn't this watershed moment we're experiencing right now; it'll just be a Tuesday.

If it's based on the idol industry in general a career lasting 5-10 years is pretty exclusive to the megastars and mostly churns through fresh young talent every few years.

Plus sometimes the actors are going to want to grow or move in a different career direction and being an idol is holding them back. The first major wave of big name graduations and their post vtube success is going to be a huge factor on seeing if this current system can help build up a sufficient fanbase for going independent.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
as long as we get more of this in the meantime I'm good with pretty much whatever

https://twitter.com/omarupolka/status/1408201160737972226/photo/1

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

If it's based on the idol industry in general a career lasting 5-10 years is pretty exclusive to the megastars and mostly churns through fresh young talent every few years.

Plus sometimes the actors are going to want to grow or move in a different career direction and being an idol is holding them back. The first major wave of big name graduations and their post vtube success is going to be a huge factor on seeing if this current system can help build up a sufficient fanbase for going independent.

There's a pretty key difference there, which is physical appearances and aging.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i guess it depends, i don't know how the entire vtuber scene is in japan, but a /lot/ of vtubers in general are really just streamers with an avatar. the idol thing is pretty rare, so i'm not really sure it's applicable. Though every entertainment industry has similar amounts of turnover and churn in talent, streaming being the most obvious comparison. I'm not sure it'd be for the same reasons though.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Man, I'm a Calli stan for sure, a deadbeat in and out, but I'm watching more and more of Ina's streams live and they're just so awesome. =D

Edit: Props to takodachis who kept it cool in the final moments of her PSO2 stream.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So how long did Ina spend in character creation?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

0, she did it before stream for an hour and a half...which coincidentally was the length of the stream, so technically character creation would have taken up the entire thing :v:

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Somebody just donated $1000 for mouse to buy a new trash can after her parents mysteriously swapped her huge one out for a tiny babby can

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is Mousey's life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The nice thing about being part of an group/collab network is that it's much easier to retain viewers between long hiatuses and breaks to recharge your creative bladder.

In other news I think this game might be a good Vtubing candidate. You'll need 2 cameras aimed at your face.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

What is Mousey's life.

Well a while ago her father came into her room, threw holy water on her and left without saying a word, because she was cursing too loudly due to a game she was playing on stream, so I'm pretty sure the answer is we just don't know.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well a while ago her father came into her room, threw holy water on her and left without saying a word, because she was cursing too loudly due to a game she was playing on stream, so I'm pretty sure the answer is we just don't know.

I hope there's a compilation of all her stories about her family. I died laughing about the one where, while she was in the hospital, her parents had friends over and they found her hentai dvd

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Breadmaster posted:

I hope there's a compilation of all her stories about her family. I died laughing about the one where, while she was in the hospital, her parents had friends over and they found her hentai dvd

What, she only has one?

Also, DVDs? in this day and age?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This was some time ago. But yeah DVD.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Mouses parents probably pray to Jesus every night thanking him that their daughter was able to turn the lemons of her life circumstances into the happy and lucrative lemonade she has.

I'm sure anything her parents find out about her hobbies or what she says while streaming are easily justified in their heads.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

What is Mousey's life.

There's a hilarious chat she had with Melody a while back where Mouse surmised her parents mostly only put up with her "nonsense" because of her health.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lulu is retiring because she graduated art school and cannot be an art student anymore

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
breaking news

mouse's mom returned her big-rear end trash can without saying anything, all is well again

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does...does Mousey's mom watch her streams :thunk:

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.
The story of this Unbeatable game is basically the ramblings of a depressed middle schooler. I guess we've all been there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

antisocial democrat posted:

The story of this Unbeatable game is basically the ramblings of a depressed middle schooler. I guess we've all been there.

Gura is about ready to recommend the girl therapy

edit: LMAO it's set in the same place Persona 4 is

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Does...does Mousey's mom watch her streams :thunk:

Possibly. It's been confirmed that her parents do watch some others from VShojo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Waffleman_ posted:

Lulu is retiring because she graduated art school and cannot be an art student anymore

She's seen enough of Earth and has other worlds to... entertain. With her art.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Breadmaster posted:

The best part about that story was the reveal of which one. I knew what she was going to say right away but it still got me good.

it was, of course, Bible Black

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

So I found this Vtuber and hell,

https://twitter.com/aicandii/status/1371249253419380742?s=21

I like them. I wanna be cool like them one day. :unsmith:

Yeah candii's cool, fucks with her model a lot cuz her very first model (which i think is the one in the trailer) was made by her.

She also has "HR meetings" with people who are being weirdchamp in her chat where she just pulls up their chat log and roasts them.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Breadmaster posted:

Her mom also walked in on her when she was watching Melody once.

No, not on Twitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpV2YRKk9A

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think everyone in vShojo has awkward stories about Melody, watching Melody, being walked in on while watching Melody, or family clicking on the wrong link to watch Melody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I know we joke about vtubers being goblins, but this is getting ridiculous.

Spoilers, she’s pretty wholesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuSavWJxRa8

Mostly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCzOXuDfK6Q