Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

From today's Wolverine (13). No context needed.

Suit with shorts...

Mariah Hill was right to hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well yeah, I just knew you of all people would get the klang referrence.

Well I wasn't certain since you said they switch places.

Is Genis still "dead" or did he get better?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Infinitum posted:

Suit with shorts...

Mariah Hill was right to hate him.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Showing off his calves is just about the only thing Hank has done right on Krakoa.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He was on his way to his AC/DC cover band.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

One of my favorite gag stories is about an author of a renowned romance manga series and his group of assistants. They are all adorable idiots.

Pictured below, the author and his editor (read from right to left).

from Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun v12. If you never heard about it you should check it out!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

I've written up an apologia of that subplot before and I forget what I said but I'll say this.

I can easily imagine a parallel universe in which the aftermath of Morrison's run was handled more delicately and in which instead of taking away "Hank is a huge prick who's going to turn evil" they ran with "Hank is evolving beyond binary desire, gay/straight/bi are labels that perhaps mutant culture is outgrowing" which I think parses well with motifs in Morrison's work prior to New X-Men as well as information about their own life since then.

I believe that pending editorial meddling (which you know, is a very real possibility here) Morrison wouldn't have dedicated so much space to this if their intention was "Hank is such an rear end in a top hat, ha." I think there are a few key moments:

1) Emma's "you've never had physical relations with another man" is thin broth. That's what being closeted is. It's a very meagre disqualifier and I can only believe Morrison intended it to be.

2) More crucially, "I'm as gay as the next mutant," and his curious association with not wanting to date a human to "in fact" being gay.

I wonder how this little subplot would have aged if he'd said "queer" instead of "gay"? How much can we attribute to clumsy word-choice? Because I really really loved this as a closeted little weirdo teen who felt stymied by being forced to choose, I felt, between "gay man" and "straight man." Why not think weirder? Why not think in terms of affect, culture, style-- a kind of "homo superior" sprezzatura, of queerness as a mode of comportment and being rather than an on/off toggle about who I wanted to kiss? All of which of course I'd read more about in college and grad school and realize that Morrison wasn't inventing the wheel, they were just spinning it in a way that struck me at the right moment. I thought it was the most thrilling subplot I'd ever read, but of course it just fizzled out.

But what could have been!

The way you describe it, this would've been such a cool concept to explore, with maybe Leah Williams or Kieron Gillen writing it. Makes me wish we got that instead of 10+ years of Self-Righteous rear end in a top hat Scientist Hank. :(

Red Bones posted:

Have Marvel made Beast queer since then? 'Cause I haven't read the arc where that stuff happens but as somebody who is queer, those panels out of context read an awful lot like somebody who hasn't realised they're queer and is taking advantage of a situation where they can explore that identity, while also having a safe way to walk it back ("It was all just a ruse to fool my ex-girlfriend"). It's very much a safe coming out fantasy in that respect, although I'm not sure if that's intentional. Like, all the scene between Hank and Scott is missing is a "would it be so bad if I were gay?" from Hank.

IIRC, Josh Whedon gave Beast a girlfriend in Astonishing X-Men, Abigail Brand, who mentioned she found Beast hot when they were trapped in a snowstorm together, and then in the final issue mentioned Beast looked a lot like her dad. Then I think Ellis took over, and while Beast and Brand were still together there, his 'jokey schtick' is to turn Brand into a cringey cishet who brags to Scott and the others about how much freaky sex she and Beast has.

Kieron Gillen's excellent S.W.O.R.D. miniseries is where their relationship dynamic is fleshed out, and it works. Brand's a professional on the job, but it doesn't mean she doesn't care. And Hank is secure with that, and just has fun being romantic toward her knowing Brand likes his gestures privately. I don't know if they're still together in Krakoa, but I think they more or less adopted Broo in past runs?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they are still together then i think much less of brand for it. i doubt they are, though!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if they are still together then i think much less of brand for it. i doubt they are, though!

I mean, you'd think he'd at least ask her for advice on being a amoral spy chief, seeing as she's actually good at it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a pretty big jump between amoral and enslaving a nation full of people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's a pretty big jump between amoral and enslaving a nation full of people.

No there isn't?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There are at least some pretty big steps from one to the other

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In the debut story of The Wildcat...

And in a different story, same issue...

Sensation Comics #1 (1942)

Spider-Man 2099: Spider-Verse (2015)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Darthemed posted:

In the debut story of The Wildcat...

And in a different story, same issue...

Sensation Comics #1 (1942)

Man, Sensation Comics #1 was pretty meta for 1942! There's some Morrison-esque idea disguised as advertising for the other comic lines in there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So is Tubby an affectionate nickname or an insult here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

So is Tubby an affectionate nickname or an insult here

Por que no los dos?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I note that Tommy's mom is named Martha.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"What are you talking about? Our female characters have names. Everyone calls the mother 'Ma' because... uh... it's short for ... um... Martha! Yeah, that makes sense. "

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, Sensation Comics #1 was pretty meta for 1942! There's some Morrison-esque idea disguised as advertising for the other comic lines in there.

Barry Allen chose The Flash after seeing an old Jay Garrick era Flash comic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #17 (1942)

Web of Spider-Man #11 (2010)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

A Strange Aeon posted:

I would love to read an anthology comic about people getting inspired to become costume crime fighters from other stories in that same anthology.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

David D. Davidson posted:

I would love to read an anthology comic about people getting inspired to become costume crime fighters from other stories in that same anthology.

There was a Batman TAS episode like this where Bruce got to team up with the tv hero he watched when he was a kid, the Gray Ghost.

He was voiced by Adam West.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

There was a Batman TAS episode like this where Bruce got to team up with the tv hero he watched when he was a kid, the Gray Ghost.

Real good episode

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Push El Burrito posted:

As a washed-up actor who can't get a part because he's typecast in his old hero role, no less.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

David D. Davidson posted:

Marvel did a a series of one shots called Legacies that had newer super heroes team up with their namesakes. I think it involved time travel, so they were teaming up with them before the OG even knew they were gonna have a (Kamal Khan with Carol Danvers before Danvers stopped wearing a swimsuit to work, the good Hawkeye teaming up with Clint, etc)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Is Gray Ghost an old character or did they just go "haha we'll put in the Gay Ghost" and then the producers were "haha no you don't!"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There was an early volume of the Clamp manga XXXholic where the main guy finds Cardcaptor Sakura's magic wand in a pile of old trinkets... but it's only a toy, so all it does is light up and make noise.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is Gray Ghost an old character or did they just go "haha we'll put in the Gay Ghost" and then the producers were "haha no you don't!"

Grey Ghost was created for the animated series. To my knowledge he only pops up in the comics in Gotham Academy as the drama teacher.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

There was also an episode of Kim Possible where Ron becomes a superhero and teams up with an aging actor who used to play a superhero. The actor was voiced by Adam West, while Ron was done by Will Friedle, who also voiced Terry McGinnis on Batman Beyond.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Keromaru5 posted:

As a washed-up actor who can't get a part because he's typecast in his old hero role, no less.

I love the Darkwing Duck version (inversion?) of this in Ducktales 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's a loving menace I tell you.

https://twitter.com/ComicContext/status/1408907982830702600?s=20

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

And obviously that person is Calendar Man!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Darthemed posted:

Superman #17 (1942)

Web of Spider-Man #11 (2010)

It blew my mind when I realized that was early Pepe Larraz.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I love the Darkwing Duck version (inversion?) of this in Ducktales 2017

Getting the original Darkwing voice actor to boot was so good, I spent an embarrassing amount of time watching that show as a kid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Getting the original Darkwing voice actor to boot was so good, I spent an embarrassing amount of time watching that show as a kid

The downside is the end of that episode seemed to set up a potential Negaduck appearance that unfortunately never wound up paying off. Still a good one though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
did that ducktales reboot get cancelled? i never ended up watching it but i was hoping it'd keep rolling in just about every forgotten show from its era

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Danny Pudi got his private plane then quit.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Larryb posted:

The downside is the end of that episode seemed to set up a potential Negaduck appearance that unfortunately never wound up paying off. Still a good one though.

Ah crap, I’d not seen season 3 yet, I guess that never came back? Either way, the first 2 were great, I liked them way more than I would’ve thought, my excuse was watching them with my kid but I 100% snuck ahead and finished the seasons before her

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

did that ducktales reboot get cancelled? i never ended up watching it but i was hoping it'd keep rolling in just about every forgotten show from its era

Yeah season 3 was the last one, though it ended in a satisfying way. Left you wanting more, but didn't overstay its welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

flatluigi posted:

They did keep rolling things in though, it had brief bits from the Rescue Rangers and Talespin and Goof Troop.

Apparently it was doing very well but Disney+ has a no-more-than-three-seasons-for-this-type-of-cartoon policy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 27, 2021