Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Welcome to the guardians, falcon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nebula hero pack announced.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/17/unyielding-persistence/

Plays just like her villain counterpart. Seems really neat and has some drat good Justice cards in her pack already.

I really like what they did here.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Black Stones posted:

Plays just like her villain counterpart. Seems really neat and has some drat good Justice cards in her pack already.

How does it work if you're playing a gamora/ nebula two player team and their nemesis cards come up?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

interesting kind of mashup of Hulk/Black Panther stuff i.e. upgrades having effects through activations and forced discard. That Venom card will be very good for Justice decks. Really like Brains Over Brawn, too.

I'm curious what War Machine and Vision will bring to the table. I know we're only just learning about the Thanos box but if the future "Sinister Intentions" box is indeed a Sinister Six expansion then man I can't wait for that later this year.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

How does it work if you're playing a gamora/ nebula two player team and their nemesis cards come up?

Those cards cannot enter play. Just like you can’t be hulk and play the hulk ally.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Are there any can't miss releases for the LOTR LCG? Any to avoid? Am I safe just cherry picking the ones I find most interesting? We've been playing the hell out of marvel champs both in person and on TTS. A friend owns all the content for that game so I thought I'd start picking up some LOTR for us to try since I like the art from checking out the TTS mods.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jarvisi posted:

You put out the side scheme and shuffle the nemesis cards into the deck, but the card surges since the villain wasn’t able to come out that way.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

bagrada posted:

Are there any can't miss releases for the LOTR LCG? Any to avoid? Am I safe just cherry picking the ones I find most interesting? We've been playing the hell out of marvel champs both in person and on TTS. A friend owns all the content for that game so I thought I'd start picking up some LOTR for us to try since I like the art from checking out the TTS mods.

This site is missing the last few cycles, but is a great buying guide
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

He also has a neat faction buying guide. So if you really want a cool dwarf deck get these sets etc
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/beyond-the-core-set-a-guide-to-faction-wise-purchasing/

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Chairman Pow! posted:

This site is missing the last few cycles, but is a great buying guide
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

He also has a neat faction buying guide. So if you really want a cool dwarf deck get these sets etc
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/beyond-the-core-set-a-guide-to-faction-wise-purchasing/

Perfect, thanks!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

After playing a few more games of Champions and LotR I can't really decide which I like better. Obviously they are very similar in mechanics but they feel different in action. LotR's quests so far have a nice variety in the tasks you are assigned and take a bit more thought to puzzle out and prepare for. Marvel feels like it has more action, like building up Iron Man's suit piece by piece was so much fun and each hero feels totally different to play. The alter-ego flipping is great. With three heroes in LotR you don't really get a feel for any of them and they just become whatever their card action is.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Drax is out!

I’ve put him through 3 solo games so far after heavily modifying his deck. My thoughts on him so far:

He’s a beast. Decent of defence (when he has the armour he’s at 3 defence which is not bad) and when you have 3 tokens on him he gets a card for every time he’s the target of a villain attack. So I have desperate defence and a card that does -3 to any damage taken from an attack so I don’t have to kneel him. Which means I can try usually have him up for his hero phase. If you get the vengeance counters to max he can rip and tear. 5 damage on a normal attack if he has one of his knives, and he gets an event that gives him +5 to his attack AND it does piercing. Incredible.

Here’s the negative. He absolutely sucks at thwarting. 1 on thwart and only 2 thwart cards in his deck means you will want to rely on outside help. I got Bait and Switch in there to help out and some allies that have 2 THW value, but against someone like Klaw it was hard on Solo, the first game against Klaw I lost to threat and the second game I won but barely. He is super fun to play as, which feels good. I don’t think he’s as good as Gamora (just because Gamora is so drat versatile) but I think he will definitely be a good pick if your plan is to do heavy damage. I kept him as defence so because they have a lot of cards that will stand people back up, but I can see an aggression build being especially deadly.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So question, at this point with the hero packs we've ended up with a lot of duplicate cards and I'm wondering is it possible for 2 players to run the same aspect? There is no rule against it, but I imagine that one or both decks would be less than ideal. I'm only really thinking about it is because I'm wondering if I really need to haul around 7 or whatever copies of chase them down when I take it over to a friends place to play.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Losem posted:

So question, at this point with the hero packs we've ended up with a lot of duplicate cards and I'm wondering is it possible for 2 players to run the same aspect? There is no rule against it, but I imagine that one or both decks would be less than ideal. I'm only really thinking about it is because I'm wondering if I really need to haul around 7 or whatever copies of chase them down when I take it over to a friends place to play.

Probably not. The aspect cards that I find it worth to use don't have enough duplicates.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Losem posted:

I've run multiple same-aspect decks during some 3-player games and it works fine. Aggression, one player focuses more on events and the other does a cheap ally / boot camp tactic. Leadership one goes minion swarm the other goes voltron. Protection has a lot of options now and only needs one-ofs of a lot of the upgrades so I've seen a pairing of Iron Man and Black Panther that was alright. Justice is a little more tricky but I could see running event heavy with Ms Marvel or Gamora, paired with either a Black Widow preparations deck or some mid-range Scarlet Witch or similar.

You'd need nearly all the released content to make it work without stretching, but I think the game has reached the point where it works.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
3 players and up I think doubling aspects will be okay, but at 2 players I really wouldn’t suggest it. All the aspects have their own thing they excel at so doubling up means your doing one thing well at the expense of everything else. Leadership is kind of a all rounder experience so I think that’s the easiest one to double up on, but for every other aspect you’d have to make sure your hero is making up for the thing your aspect doesn’t do well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Drax is ridiculously good.

Did a game against Red Skull. Wasp/Justice, Drax/Defence. First game I lost. My engine building got disrupted with an unfortunate early discard and I think I misjudged playing some stuff. Sleeper came out and I just couldn’t deal and eventually got overwhelmed. 2nd game went much better. Sleeper came out 2nd turn which could have been a nightmare but Wasp had Pinpoint strike in hand and after clearing tough do 8 damage and Drax knocks him out. It was clear sailing from there. Wasp focus fired side schemes every turn so Skull could never get built up, and Drax sat back at first building his board. My deck with him is a lot of defence boosting or damage negating cards so I take little to no damage for his vengeance tokens and then card draw. After I went through my deck at least once my team was ready to go on the offensive. After I got Skull to level 2 it was nuts. Drax did 22 points of damage to end Skull. First had leading blow for 2 damage. Then normal attack at 5. Then got 2 “Fight me cowards off” where after the second one I drew into a knife leap and then ended Red Skull.

Drax takes a bit to get going, but once his board is set he becomes a murder machine. It helps he has hands down the best ally in the game with Mantis. Slap a Med Team down and you’ve now got a healbot that will be out for about 8 rounds. Healing 3 damage a turn. Crazy. He’s so good, they knocked it out of the park. I can’t wait to see how Venom plays because I thought he looked really good too.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s even better in aggression, with things like Battle fury to give him extra activations. Since all his powers trigger off his attack stat, getting it up +1 early instead of needing to be hit can be excellent. You can run him extremely cheaply, he doesn’t need a lot of upgrades.

We were playing earlier today and towards the end of his deck, he got all his unique events, so he was dealing 10, 12, 14 damage a turn. Boss didn’t last too long after that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

He’s even better in aggression, with things like Battle fury to give him extra activations. Since all his powers trigger off his attack stat, getting it up +1 early instead of needing to be hit can be excellent. You can run him extremely cheaply, he doesn’t need a lot of upgrades.

We were playing earlier today and towards the end of his deck, he got all his unique events, so he was dealing 10, 12, 14 damage a turn. Boss didn’t last too long after that.

Battle fury can stand him again sure, and he can get to 6 attack with combat training. Except I’m confused about your “instead of needing to be hit” comment. He does need to be hit for his vengeance tokens to go up.

I’d be curious to see what you’re running in aggression because I don’t see it being better than defence. The only card that stands him back up is battle fury, no damage reduction, and nothing that builds his limited hand size if you’re not having him get hit. On defence because I’m constantly reducing villains attack and I run unflappable, I can get 6 cards by his hero turn.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I forget the card names, but the one that draws minions and then gives cards for being engaged with minions are a great combo. And five cards in hand is fine when the most expensive thing in your deck costs three. Toe to Toe is extremely cost-effective, six damage if you have retaliate.

Defense works just as well, it really depends on how hard the villain is hitting.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I can see how aggression would work, but I just see him needing to flip more often if he’s taking hits. Getting allies out would be a big priority. I can see it working but I don’t think I’d swap.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Revised Core Set for Arkham Horror officially announced.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Nearly the entire LOTR line has been reprinted. Most is available on FFG's website, but all of the Nightmare packs are available online at Gamezenter.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/7/15/locked-and-loaded/

War Machine announced. Uses ammo counters to deal damage so you’ll be flipping to reload. Leadership and seems to have a bunch of the core heroes as leadership allies. Black Panther and Captain Marvel show up as basic leadership allies.

Has some pretty powerful leadership cards as well. Can put out a high cost hero but they discard after the phase. However there’s also a card where you can discard the ally to deal damage to based off the ally cost.

Seems like will offer some neat deck building options for leadership and a new style of play where you will constantly sacrifice your high cost allies.

Looking forward to it. We have aggression and protection left with Valkyrie and Vision left. I’m going to guess aggression for Valkyrie and Protection for Vision.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Am I missing something or can he shuffle as many Warmachine cards back into his deck as he wants while in alter ego? Doesn't seem to be a limit per turn, wonder how long you could hold off on reshuffling.

Edit: Saying Sneak Attack let's you play Captain Marvel for a fifth of the cost is a pretty severe misunderstanding of how the game is played.

Captain Marvel costs 5 cards + herself to put into play, or 6 cards. Sneak attack costs itself, Captain Marvel, and another card, aka 3. The list of allies worth using this with has to be tiny.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 15, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

All those cards that pay off for having expensive allies feel like they would be amazing in star lord. You could build a much denser ally deck and have them die, return to your hand, sneak attack, die, rapid response…

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Warmachine can Sneak Attack with Nick Fury while in Alter Ego. Shame he isn't S.H.I.E.L.D in hero form, I've been wanting someone who could play Tactical Squad with Team Building Exercise to see if it would be enough for the weaker S.H.I.E.L.D cards to see play.

I don't like needing multiple events in hand to make Sneak Attack worth it. Kinda like how minion hunting decks didn't quite work until the Hand Cannon was released I think you need an upgrade or support that stays in play to make the archetype more reliable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Sneak Attack is highly beneficial if you have Go Down Swinging. However, the main idea is I think can still be a “oh crap I need to play something to do some moves” as this makes it so you don’t have a high cost ally just sitting in your hand. You either have to chose to discard it, or you keep it hoping you can play it next round. Sneak attack makes it so you can throw some emergency punches or thwart, with the hopeful added benefit that you can combo into something Go Down Swinging.

I think this also means we’re going to see some pretty high cost allies in his leadership pack where they might be a lot of 4-5 cost ones. We have a few high cost allies but not a lot. Putting cards like Sneak Attack into the card pool helps put out some higher cost allies because there’s different ways to get them out but with downsides attached.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lotta good ally cards and Leadership ally synergy in that War Machine pack. Ammo gimmick looks pretty fun too. Use allies to cover you while you switch off, then reload and spray the enemies down.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Got my Venom pack today.

Venom is extremely versatile as a hero and I think will work extremely well with any aspect you pair him with. I stuck with Justice because I wanted to keep him as a heavy confuse deck but with a mix of offensive and thwarting capabilities. I added in some some thwart cards, and then changed up some of the attack cards as well so I usually have something going.

Venom’s biggest upside is Run and Gun. Where he stands back up with all his guns. This is huge because Multi-Gun means you get 4 damage or Thwart (or a mix) and if you have his pistols in play you can get 3 thwart or 4 damage in a single activation and then double it. His alter ego card where you heal 3 damage means he can take a beating, flip and then get right back in the game again so you’re never too worried about taking some hits. Extremely fun to play so far.

This pack also let me build the Rocket deck I’ve been wanting to try out thanks to the new leadership card for Guardians. The whole deck idea is to pretty much be able to fire off so many allies that I can put at least one out a turn. With Knowhere and the Triskellion I can have 5 allies out and so Rocket has a solid defensive line and able to use his guns to absolute max. Worked incredibly well. Venom’s pack really added a ton of great cards to the mix. Can’t wait for the big expansion next month.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So yeah. If you play Collector 1 with Venom, PRAY you do not get Shadows of the Past with him. 4 symbiote’s came out to play and I could have smashed them all with the multi-gun but OOPS that would game over me with the collection deck. There was no coming back.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The Hood scenario pack announced

Seems like it could be challenging but perhaps in a good way. Some of those minions look super tough.

Big news is that there’s a new Standard and Expert encounter sets, so hopefully this is the response to people bitching the game was never difficult enough and the scenarios on Standard will be on the lighter side of difficulty so those who want more challenge yet go to standard 2 or expert 2.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The Black Stones posted:

The Hood scenario pack announced

Seems like it could be challenging but perhaps in a good way. Some of those minions look super tough.

Big news is that there’s a new Standard and Expert encounter sets, so hopefully this is the response to people bitching the game was never difficult enough and the scenarios on Standard will be on the lighter side of difficulty so those who want more challenge yet go to standard 2 or expert 2.

This seems really neat with all the encounter sets - easy way to get a lot of variety for cheap.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the Hood modular stuff looks like a fantastic answer to the last villain set. Decent challenge with nigh limitless modular potential. Really good stuff here, def picking that up for the sheer amount of variety in it

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
More standard and expert sets is greatly appreciated. That alone makes it a must buy for me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’m definitely looking for a little more difficulty from standard but expert seems obnoxious if you don’t have heroes that can self ready.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve honestly never had a huge issue with standard. It’s right where I like it, can still have some difficulty but you have a good chance to win. The issue I have with the new standard cards is I already see a surge in there. That’s a bad sign as this was made before the “everything should surge!” from GMW was revealed to be a lovely idea.

Permanent “Steady” is also bad. I’d be fine with it as a card that would come out and be hard to remove or have to stay out for a while, but having to spend multiple cards to now get a stun off seems like it would feel bad to me.

Totally fine that this is optional though. So I can choose to ignore it. So for those who want a challenge I think it will do it, but I have a feeling it’s not going to please those who wanted a challenge because it’s increasing challenge in a bad way.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm just confused why venom has guns, I'm so out of touch

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This is a different Venom than the one you probably remember. Same Symbiote, different host.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
This a good place to talk Keyforged? Picked it up around the time the second season came out. My play group loved the game, but we didn't like the somewhat tiresome game length - we played a match where both decks were basically designed to never win against each other, and it pissed us off enough to put a note on each deck. (One deck was boardwipe city, and the other deck was "you shan't score unless you build this massive board", after 90 minutes both players just gave up)

Is Keyforged better? Does it still have a 'scene'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think Keyforged just completely died out. I saw my local comic book shop trying to fire sale a bunch of them.

I had fun of it, but the idea was definitely “spend money and hope your deck doesn’t suck. If it does just spend more. Did someone find a deck to counter yours? Buy more!” My friend I play Marvel and used to play Game of Thrones with played it for a while, but we had some games that were absolutely slogs. We bailed in the second “season” I don’t know if things got any better but seeing as how FFG website doesn’t seem to push it as often and I don’t see it promoted as much locally anymore. I highly doubt it. That being said I think the core idea of tournaments being integral to the game and then COVID happening also killed it hard.