Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
LAD is so loving good. The way the story just continually ramps and keeps you invested the whole time with no real lulls. Sure it's a bit cutscene heavy but all Yakuzas are. There's only one bit where you're interrogating a person you captured that kinda drags on, but otherwise I was hanging off the edge of my seat, especially towards the end when poo poo gets bonkers.

Ichiban ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol is that from yakuza 6? there's an option to say it to someone in kiwami 2 but i didn't select it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Squashing Machine posted:

after like a decade+ of not being able to get into the Yakuza series of games, Like a Dragon make me legitimately cry at the end. i'll never look at a coin locker the same way again

you gotta play the rest! they're so good!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol ichiban is so great but kiryu will always be my fave

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a certain femme fatale got kidnapped to the docks and the "hurry up" music started playing and then i did a substory where i played a wingman for some guy and went on that "third date" with two hostesses. gently caress you, jazz music!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Chapter 14 of lad spoilers

the Kiryu fight was surprisingly easy, but still cool. game continues to rule, and I don’t want it to end.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a bit more difficult if you have multie women in your party, because he will refuse to target them and instead will focus on you.

But yeah, it's a bit easier than the other big boss fight that happens earlier.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That makes so much sense, lol. Think I might replay the series from zero when I’m done with lad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LaD suffers from RPG endgame difficulty curve, you're into full victory lap "look at what my cool RPG men can do" territory at this point

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Some of the free roam areas in LaD are crazy difficult even towards the end. Some enemy groups in Chinatown are loving brutal.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wrapped up Y6 last night, got all the stats to max and beat Amon (fuckin' finally). Only things left for 100% is some trouble missions I can't get to trigger for the life of me and minigames I don't care about or find fun so I'm calling it good.

The Official Fortaleza Rankings(tm):

0 > K2 > 5 > K1 > 6 > 3 > 4

Man, what a long fun ride!

I'll play LAD and possibly the justice ones if/when I get a ps5.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
there's a trouble mission that's on top of the batting cages, took me way too long to realize you're supposed to stand in front of the building at street level and not right in front of the uh. trouble.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao the chicken races. y5 rules

e: the yakitori you get after breeding...:stare:

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 26, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

thats the only one i can't watch

The heat actions haven't been bothering me, but the way people get bloody and hosed up after a fight in Yakuza 3 is really hard to look at

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

The heat actions haven't been bothering me, but the way people get bloody and hosed up after a fight in Yakuza 3 is really hard to look at

yeah I thought that was weird when I played it. in the rest of the series they get a black eye or whatever but in 3 it looks like you beat them nearly to death

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Brasseye posted:

yeah I thought that was weird when I played it. in the rest of the series they get a black eye or whatever but in 3 it looks like you beat them nearly to death

They do it in 4 a little bit too.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished Like A Dragon. What a great game. Had my doubts about a non Kiryu focus but Ichiban is a drat good character.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
LaD’s supporting cast is the star of the show imho. I

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have tanimura's training, revelations, police scanner and hostesses done so it's just side stories and the main plot for him now.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
all this LAD praise is almost making me want to skip there next after i 100% K2. turn based sounds like a nice change of pace from the beat-em-up style, but i wonder how badly i'd spoiler myself for the rest of the kiryu series...

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Scythe posted:

all this LAD praise is almost making me want to skip there next after i 100% K2. turn based sounds like a nice change of pace from the beat-em-up style, but i wonder how badly i'd spoiler myself for the rest of the kiryu series...

You won’t. There are some nods and winks and even if 1-6 people appear it is almost without historical context.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i will say that playing them in order has been fun because a lot of the substories reference prior main story stuff or other substories. watching the Osaka comedy duo's continuing antics, seeing what happened to Mr Dine and Dash and Mr Try and Hit Me and little touches like that. like last night when I finished the police scanner thing the kamurocho guard guy revealed that he got into it because his mentor, kashiwagi, passed away, and he felt like he has to fill a hole

none of them are important or big but they do all really make kamurocho feel alive

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Brass Hand posted:

You won’t. There are some nods and winks and even if 1-6 people appear it is almost without historical context.

Kind of, I'd say with a caveat it shouldn't be a problem. The main thing is that several characters whose deaths are teased in the Kiryu saga are still alive in LAD. Whether that's a big deal or not is kinda ymmv and depends on if you want to be super self-aware about the story and above it all like a cool kid who could predict every twist from the start. So there are details that can reveal things about prior games that you'll probably remember when you play them.

BUT! I'd still say if you feel like you need a break from the brawler games then play LAD. The jump from K2 to 3 will be rough either way, but it might be made easier if you play a game with a different gameplay style first. I personally don't really think that the "spoilers" in LAD will really spoil your experience. You just won't be as blind as when you play them in order.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 26, 2021

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I went from K2 to LaD and I'm now catching up to the rest. Other than one plot point in 5 it didn't really spoil anything for me so far.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

shinada's story is really good, just got to th big chapter 3 twist and it's cool

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

shinada is bad rear end. way better than tanimura

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The one thing about going into LAD without playing the previous games, particularly 6, is that it will just straight-up tell you how Kiryu’s story ends but in a weird way without a bunch of context that I feel like would probably be confusing if you haven’t actually played the earlier ones.

Fungah! posted:

shinada's story is really good, just got to th big chapter 3 twist and it's cool

I really liked Shinada, it was kind of a cool change of pace to have a protagonist that was just like a normal guy who was scared shitless of all the underworld stuff he was getting mixed up in.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah I think he has my favorite personality of the guys that arent kiryu. i dont like his fighting style much but i'm really enjoying his chunk of the game

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeah I think he has my favorite personality of the guys that arent kiryu. i dont like his fighting style much but i'm really enjoying his chunk of the game

yeah same. he’s got a good plot beat and he’s fun. i like that he’s a sleazy loser but totally unashamed about it. his combat is kinda clunky but its nice to become an unstoppable baseball god

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Brass Hand posted:

LaD’s supporting cast is the star of the show imho. I

I agree every character is awesome.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shinada seems to be more of a weapons guy so far. His story seems a bit of an odd side track after four Protagonists that are starting to come together but honestly this game has been so good that I trust whatever it has in store.

Assuming the next chapter is all the characters getting together in Kamurucho and being swappable or whatever, is it as short as Y4 or is there more to it? It was really disappointing that the big climax was just walking across town and having some terrible fights

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Shinada's story is where Y5 started losing me. It's fine on its own but you could just remove it from Y5 and not much would be lost. They could have still used something like that in a later or different game cause I think the story itself has its moments but in the context of Y5 it's really where I started souring on it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

IGgy IGsen posted:

Shinada's story is where Y5 started losing me. It's fine on its own but you could just remove it from Y5 and not much would be lost. They could have still used something like that in a later or different game cause I think the story itself has its moments but in the context of Y5 it's really where I started souring on it.

Shinada’s story is a really good complement to Haruka’s, i thought

both of them give you some perspective into how the Tojo/Omi conflict has an impact on the lives of people who aren’t even directly involved, which is something the series really hadn’t gotten into all that much in earlier games

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok yeah shinadas story kicks rear end. so far i like 5 as a game of small stories, i feel like the finale probably wont be able tl pull everything together right but i dont really care, the smaller stories are good on their own

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

5’s final chapter is quite a bit longer than 4 iirc

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i was actually with tanimura until the weird substory where he lectures a bunch of immigrant nine year olds scribbling "japan took my mommy and daddy away" on the walls about the virtue of hard work and respecting japan.

his chapter is also when the plot sort of feels like it falls apart. akiyama's almost stands on its own until right after he reveals that he knows she's the murderer, and saejima's chapter is more about him reconciling with majima than figuring out who set him up, but because we never really get to know tanimura's dad, his motivation for getting dragged into the mystery fall kind of flat. it's still better than 3, if only because the combat is better and most of the substories, even in tanimura's chapter, are good.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 27, 2021

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Shinada seems to be more of a weapons guy so far. His story seems a bit of an odd side track after four Protagonists that are starting to come together but honestly this game has been so good that I trust whatever it has in store.

I like how Shinada won't tarnish a baseball bat as weapon. He'll pick it up stare at it and put it back respectfully. Shinada ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i was going to link to a Yakuza substory video in that wormskull thread and I had such trouble finding it that now I think I made it up or something.

does anyone remember a substory where you go to the parking lot and there's a game that's like Mr Try and Hit Me, but the goal is specifically not get to get knocked down? and you do it a couple of times and then someone is like "hey....can I try?" and as soon as the timer starts, he whips out a gun.