Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Actually, why would Heisenberg know anything about Chris punching that boulder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grittyreboot posted:

He's secretly a gamer in his spare time

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

I played this game co-op with an online friend when it came out and got so high he got genuinely angry at me for loving up quick time prompts.

Sheva!
Sheva!
Sheva!

I hosed up the Wesker sequence at end probably 2 dozen times. Dude was so mad.

Edit: wait no that was RE5

Playing couch co-op with a buddy with both of us drunk is what made RE6 for me.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

In both celebration and in despair of Ubisoft not annoucing another Splinter Cell game at E3 (they have been referencing/putting Sam into so much stuff these days i thought at least a remastered series was coming or something, alas) and i decided to go back through the series starting with the first game, which for as old as it is is just kinda full of the "things dragging this game down"

I know most of these things get fixed in the sequels but for the first game as it is, having to manually take out your gadgets instead of being automatic is annoying. Having to remember any kind of number passcode instead of it just appearing at the bottom like the other games. The very infamous lights taking more than one shot to break even when you shoot them straight on! It's like i'm in high school all over again :v:

The big thing that bugs me is the gameplay itself oddly enough. It has been so long since a stealth game has been an actual stealth game and not just "you are the ultimate apex predator and stealth is an option if you want i guess" to "use stealth or you will die/fail the mission" is both very refreshing but also really frustrating when the game checkpoint system could really have used another pass to not have make rewatch cutscenes when i inevitably gently caress up a section on my first go through it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

grittyreboot posted:

If you were Sheva, would you not tell every single person you encounter that Chris punched a boulder?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is canon that Barry tells everyone about "Jill Sandwich" in Revelations 2. No reason Sheva can't tell everyone about the boulder.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Jak and Daxer has a really nice night day cycle which looks really good in the starting beach level. Too bad the rest of the game is set in an overcast beach, an underwater city, a foggy island, and multiple levels worth of caves.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

But Jake is the best part?!

Running around in a barely visible blizzard maze with limited ammo and infinitely respawning enemies on the hunt for USB sticks loving suuuuuucked.

Then the game throws you into an instafail stealth section.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Necrothatcher posted:

Running around in a barely visible blizzard maze with limited ammo and infinitely respawning enemies on the hunt for USB sticks loving suuuuuucked.

Then the game throws you into an instafail stealth section.

To be fair, Len never said "The Jake part is good", just that it's "the best" :v:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I remember hating RE6. Then I watched someone who was actually really good at it play it and come off almost like a character action game with crazy moves and dives and rolling around in the ground and stuff.

So I picked it back up and you know what? I still loving hate it cause I have no idea how that guy played like that, the game explains nothing, and trying to play it like RE4/5 is extremely boring and frustrating.

How do you gently caress up a game that big by forgetting to y'know, teach your players how to actually play it?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
RE5 and 6 are games that are fun to play with the right co op partner, but i couldn't imagine playing them otherwise

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Twitch posted:

RE5 and 6 are games that are fun to play with the right co op partner, but i couldn't imagine playing them otherwise

My roommate and I played RE5 in an single energy drink-fueled haze from like 2 PM to 4 AM the next day, and had a blast. Don't have any desire whatsoever to play it again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

How do you gently caress up a game that big by forgetting to y'know, teach your players how to actually play it?

- Me, complaining about like, a solid 25% of games.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Some games go way overboard the other way though. I seem to recall Shadow of Mordor games would constantly put button prompts for moves on your screen, even if you had just finished using that same move.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

Some games go way overboard the other way though. I seem to recall Shadow of Mordor games would constantly put button prompts for moves on your screen, even if you had just finished using that same move.

That's for people like me that have untreated broke brains. I played Shadow of War and the next day forgot how to do things like ground executions and finishers.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Despite loving the series I’ve never actually played Yakuza 5 or 6, and with being fully vaccinated and being able to meet up with my bud I played through all the other games with we decided to rectify that and booted up 5.

Wow, cramming vehicles and driving into the already creaky old PS3 Yakuza engine was not the best idea the RGG team ever had was it. Especially the actual taxi fare bits where the pedestrian AI can’t handle you being in control of a vehicle and will happily slam into the side of your taxi while you drive by and penalize you.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bussamove posted:

Despite loving the series I’ve never actually played Yakuza 5 or 6, and with being fully vaccinated and being able to meet up with my bud I played through all the other games with we decided to rectify that and booted up 5.

Wow, cramming vehicles and driving into the already creaky old PS3 Yakuza engine was not the best idea the RGG team ever had was it. Especially the actual taxi fare bits where the pedestrian AI can’t handle you being in control of a vehicle and will happily slam into the side of your taxi while you drive by and penalize you.

5 actually has a new engine, it’s the basis of the one used for 0, Kiwami, and FotNS.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dewgy posted:

5 actually has a new engine, it’s the basis of the one used for 0, Kiwami, and FotNS.

Oh I thought it was still using the older engine. Regardless it doesn’t handle the vehicles well at all, though if it was the same one as FotNS that might just be inexperience with vehicles in general for the team since they at least felt a bit better in that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bussamove posted:

Oh I thought it was still using the older engine. Regardless it doesn’t handle the vehicles well at all, though if it was the same one as FotNS that might just be inexperience with vehicles in general for the team since they at least felt a bit better in that.

I'm pretty sure the car system was what eventually got modded for Pocket Circuit, and that ended up turning into the vehicle system in FotNS. I thought the racing was fun if a bit basic, but yeah it's hardly the world's best driving sim, it's extremely arcadey. Once you figure out how the drifting works on the highway it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thinking on it more the racing is fine, but the taxi fares can eat me and that is entirely down to the pedestrian AI being suicidal coupled with the long collision animation/reset.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

One More Fat Nerd posted:

People in this very thread act like tutorials are a war crime. Barring a few really bad ones I've never given a poo poo but so many people mash through/ignore them then complain about unclear mechanics that occasionally this thread becomes my second schadenfreude thread

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mmj posted:

People in this very thread act like tutorials are a war crime. Barring a few really bad ones I've never given a poo poo but so many people mash through/ignore them then complain about unclear mechanics that occasionally this thread becomes my second schadenfreude thread

That and people that slam the hardest difficulty for a first play are great

And then the ever happening "I min/maxed the game and it became too easy"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dewgy posted:

You're thinking of 6, 5 was the last one built for PS3 (and hence the original engine)
In fact the new engine is used on 6, Kiwami 2, Judgement, and 7 (might be in FotNS, not sure), 0 and Kiwami were on PS3 too in Japan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Thinking on it more the racing is fine, but the taxi fares can eat me and that is entirely down to the pedestrian AI being suicidal coupled with the long collision animation/reset.

Normal Taxi is the best minigame in yakuza

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're thinking of 6, 5 was the last one built for PS3 (and hence the original engine)
In fact the new engine is used on 6, Kiwami 2, Judgement, and 7 (might be in FotNS, not sure), 0 and Kiwami were on PS3 too in Japan.

3, 4, and Kenzan were on a slightly older engine. 5’s isn’t the Dragon Engine but it was a pretty huge upgrade over the 3/4 one, not just minor bits of polish.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Normal Taxi is the best minigame in yakuza

Weird way to spell Pocket Racer but okay

E: It's been nearly a decade since I played Yakuza 3/4 so I'm sure if I went back and played them before playing 5 again I'd notice the engine upgrades, I guess it was the older assets that made me assume it was still the older engine.

Bussamove has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Jun 25, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the best minigame is disco in 0

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

FFVIII is the central nexus of this one. Trivializing the difficulty is phenomenally unfun both in preparation and execution, everyone will tell you this, and yet so many of them do it. And then no further part of the game gets properly engaged with, because they figured out the 'optimal' way to jack the Attack command WAY the gently caress up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The taxi minigame in Yakuza 5 is awesome and the thing dragging that game down is that there isn't more of it, and also the racing sucks buts there's a bunch of it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finally got past the swarms of enemies on Disk 1 of Fear Effect- that is the thing dragging the game down. Sometimes the game gives you a single room with WAY too many enemies with guns and taking them out is super frustrating, especially if there are more enemies between that room and the next place that recovers your health (Getting to certain checkpoints is the only way to recover health) so you sometimes have to get through three rooms of enemies with a single spare hit point and hope not to get hit, after clearing the prior swarm room by momentarily retreating and saving so at least the guys that you've already killed stay dead. At least all I have to do now is run through a few screens to the next helicopter boss fight, which automatically heals me as the fight starts. I don't think I ever got this far before, the swarms kept overwhelming me. The lack of ANY consistent healing can be really punishing.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Cleretic posted:

FFVIII is the central nexus of this one. Trivializing the difficulty is phenomenally unfun both in preparation and execution, everyone will tell you this, and yet so many of them do it. And then no further part of the game gets properly engaged with, because they figured out the 'optimal' way to jack the Attack command WAY the gently caress up.

I love breaking FF8 over my knee! Card games and then all your numbers go up. 👌

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Len posted:

Skyrim.

"If you do the potion/enchanting loop and get gear that does millions of damage in a single hit the game is way too easy!"
"Then... don't do that?"
"Why not? It's there and it's the best way to get good gear!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JackSplater posted:

Skyrim.

"If you do the potion/enchanting loop and get gear that does millions of damage in a single hit the game is way too easy!"
"Then... don't do that?"
"Why not? It's there and it's the best way to get good gear!"

I remember looking up Dungeons of Dreadmore years ago and finding a guy ranting about how this one skill trivialized the game because it let you stand on closed doors and take actions without freeing everyone on the other side

"So don't do that?"

"But the game lets me so I will"

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Alternatively, having to avoid mechanics in a video game in order to make it fun is a bad thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Phigs posted:

Alternatively, having to avoid mechanics in a video game in order to make it fun is a bad thing.

I think there's a difference between ignoring a mechanic and exploiting a feedback loop in the first 20 minutes of the game to become a god. But yes that is always the argument given when someone says "maybe don't break Skyrim right out the gate"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, there's "This ability is unparalleled in combat and there's no reason to use anything else" and then there's "I stand outside a closed door and use an ability on repeat for five minutes every time I want to progress to the next room" or "I'd you spend four hours in front of an anvil you can max out your weapon crafting skill for max gains"

One is bad design, one is broken player brain.

Edit: I have a friend who will always grind. Always. In FF13 he spent like an hour grinding out potions in the first area before you unlock the ability to gain experience points. I've asked him about it and he always just shrugs and says that's how he plays, that it soothes him.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am remarkably bad at the combat in Legend of Mana. This is more a failing of myself than the game, but still. So bad at it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, there's "This ability is unparalleled in combat and there's no reason to use anything else" and then there's "I stand outside a closed door and use an ability on repeat for five minutes every time I want to progress to the next room" or "I'd you spend four hours in front of an anvil you can max out your weapon crafting skill for max gains"

One is bad design, one is broken player brain.

Edit: I have a friend who will always grind. Always. In FF13 he spent like an hour grinding out potions in the first area before you unlock the ability to gain experience points. I've asked him about it and he always just shrugs and says that's how he plays, that it soothes him.

I knew a guy in highschool that stayed at the Destiny Islands in KH1 until he unlocked Scan. That's level 9, 12, or 15 depending on what weapon you chose

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am remarkably bad at the combat in Legend of Mana. This is more a failing of myself than the game, but still. So bad at it.

I recommend equipping defend and push until you unlock grapple, and then using that.

It probably won't actually make you do any better in combat but it lets you charge into enemies and chuck them over your shoulder, which is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Morpheus posted:

There's nothing wrong with that though cause they enjoy it.

The thing about the Skyrim smithing example that always gets me though is that the skill is basically useless unless you actually do abuse it. And there's basically no way to level it outside of grinding away at it for ages. It's literally designed in such a way that it can only be gainfully used in a broken manner. And that's definitely the designer's fault.