Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Comrade Fakename posted:

I generally have very bad allergies, but I was actually thinking recently that it hadn’t been too bad this year.

Same. Weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I normally don't get hayfever too badly but it's been a worse year than normal for me. Maybe the types of pollen about have changed a bit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Critical respect to Matt Hancock for punching well outside his weight class.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My niece (in the UK) has had bad hayfever for the first time this year too.

I have really really bad hayfever generally but obviously I'm in Canada now so can't comment on UK stuff directly.

My recommendations:
Get thee to an allergist. They can test you properly, find out what it is specifically that you're allergic to, and prescribe you the good antihistamines (Fexofenadine - works well for me and no side-effects, even when I take like 8 of them in a day).

The best thing you can do is obviously to stay indoors with windows shut, but if you must go outside on a day with a high pollen count, wearing a mask outside may help, but something I used to do pre-covid was use either Vaseline or Haymax Relief (which is just beeswax and olive oil, I think: https://www.boots.com/haymax-pure-organic-drug-free-allergen-barrier-balm-5ml-10084612) around your nostrils and eyeholes - it helps to catch pollen and so lessens your exposure. Sounds like it wouldn't make any difference but it really does seem to help.

Also recommend showering as soon as you get in, making sure you give your face and around your eyes a good soap, then changing into fresh clothes that haven't been outside. If you get symptoms at home / at night / in the morning then it can be worth running an air purifier particularly in your bedroom. Other dusts and pollutants in the air make allergies worse so there's a double effect of taking pollen out of the air and taking other stuff out of the air too. Keep your house clean, vacuum often. Tidy your room (Thanks Jorbo Pooperson).

Exercising regularly also helps but who has the time for that lol.

Local honey doesn't work, neither do any of the other folksy home remedies, as you might expect.

Also note that if you are feeling tired and groggy, particularly in the mornings, even without any other of the "classic" hayfever symptoms (runny/itchy eyes/nose, scratchy throat, sneezing), that can still be due to hayfever or other allergies. This tiredness, for me, typically sets in a couple of hours after exposure - but I also just get it in general and on waking up. It's a particular kind of tiredness that feels different from just ordinary "haven't slept enough" and I can identify it easily now because it starts at roughly the same time every year. It can really heavily wipe me out if I've had a particularly bad exposure (which is typically on days where it's very hot and dry, and also windy). I remember I did a day out quad-biking and doing other stuff for my mate's stag do a few summers ago and I was absolutely hosed afterwards. Basically got back to the place we were staying and had a 3 hour nap starting at 6pm, then some people came and lifted me out of bed to come down and have a drink... stayed up a couple of hours then just slept again for like 14 hours and felt awful on waking up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Matt Hancock's been shagging his aide.

https://twitter.com/MrRobertTimothy/status/1408237133505105921?s=20

He's such a massive loving dweeb, I fail to see the appeal.

Who can understand the affairs of the wallet heart.

It could make one wonder - between having an affair with one of his aides and taking every opportunity to financially benefit from the pandemic, how did Matt Hancock find time to do any of his actual work? But that would imply that Matt Hancock ever does any of his actual work.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where Boris loving Johnson has to tell Matt Hancock he's being fired for shagging around

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So we're going to get something about Hancock every week until he finally resigns right?

This is bananas.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This surely has to be the killer blow. He might have been able to survive an affair scandal but shagging his aide (with the implication that she was only appointed for that reason) is seriously damaging professionally as well as personally. Being caught in 4k (as the kids say) on the front page of the Sun is just the icing on the cake.

You have to wonder who's known about this and for how long.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

serious gaylord posted:

So we're going to get something about Hancock every week until he finally resigns right?

This is bananas.

No one in this government will ever be brought down by evidence of actual corruption related to procurement and cronyism. Makes sense that shagging around that is the line crossed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Matt Hancock not knowing that government buildings have CCTV is classic Matt Hancock.

My money is on some security guard looking to make some extra retirement money

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Just lmao if Boris has to fire anyone for being unfaithful to their wife.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah hayfever has been poo poo this year, though obviously I'm in Ireland so might be a bit different. Also I think I'm usually more triggered by spores and poo poo than regular pollen, or at least my worst days don't sync up with others.

Sadly, if you have a big beard you should shave it or at least wash and brush once you come inside. I also just beat the antihistamines into me twice a day from spring to autumn - use a second-generation antihistamine like cetirizine so you don't give yourself brain damage and it's not so drowsy-making. A years supply is a couple of quid on amazon

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Party Boat posted:

This surely has to be the killer blow.

I don't know. These Tories seem to be somewhat bulletproof. It's still entirely possible we'll have all forgotten in a week or two.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do any of you personally care, in the way you would care if he was caught diddling a kid or something? Feels like regular affairs have lost any salience to public morality

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s obvious that certain parts of the Conservative Party have it in for Hancock and it makes an excellent pretext to get rid. Good opportunity to pin every failing of the COVID response on him retrospectively too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When you have texts between the Cum Dom and Johnson agreeing "yeah Hancock is a useless oval office" it's pretty clear he's not wanted

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

This might be a silly question but is there any information as to whether the vaccines interact with hayfever? Because mine has been absolutely poo poo this year while last year I hardly had it at all.

I don't know if there is a general overlap between immune system activity and autoimmune disorders. Because I hadn't been ill at all last year or I think the year before that, not sure if my immune system was on holiday or something from lack of use.

This time last year there was far less traffic on the roads - my hayfever basically didn't happen at all.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
She's not an aide she's a lobbyist who managed to cosy up to power as an aide

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/matt-hancock-gina-coladangelo-health-advisor-b1760004.html

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

Has anybody really "won" a war against irregulars in recent history?

the abrupt end of the Sri Lankan civil war is the contemporary go-to example

stunning defeat of a popular rebel government that few observers could have predicted just years beforehand

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/samimousa86/status/1408173168292990988

We've gone from rights for renters to the government needs to see who's driving rental cars.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/samimousa86/status/1408173168292990988

We've gone from rights for renters to the government needs to see who's driving rental cars.

Do people actually rent high powered cars just to drive them fast down residential streets at night? Is this a thing that actually happens?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

wtf is even the logic with that, who's renting cars to do their "antisocial driving" (whatever tf that means), as if the rental companies won't just tell the DVLA/pigs/whomever who rented the car if it comes up (& slap on a tasty admin fee to the driver in the process)

Literally just authoritarianism for its own sake:psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Do people actually rent high powered cars just to drive them fast down residential streets at night? Is this a thing that actually happens?

It's definitely A Thing in Muslim communities to celebrate various events like weddings, exam results, etc - the parents will rent the kids a Lamborghini or an AMG or similar flashy, fast car. Of course this gets right up the noses of a certain type of curtain twitching notaracistbut, who are Starmers apparent only target.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When I were a lad we had to steal a car to joyride, kids today with their rentals smdh.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Will this apply to an app based "car sharing" scheme lol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Will this apply to an app based "car sharing" scheme lol.

If Zipcar ever start black boxing their cars I'm hosed. I mean what's the point of a hire car if *not* to do impromptu performance testing? as P.J. O'Rourke put it:

quote:

You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there’s a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it’s an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can’t always get it back – but that’s not your problem, is it?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Old Kieth sure does love an incredibly niche policy to set the headlines alight doesn’t he?
High powered rental car menace right up there with his thrilling government bonds

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s dumb as gently caress because I guarantee you any rental business that deals in powerful exotic cars has already fitted them with trackers/black boxes to ensure they aren’t abused or stolen. I know of some that have gone as far as remote killswitches to shut the engine down remotely if certain conditions arise.

Round where I am late night anti social driving is usually the domain of old underpowered hatchbacks with obnoxious exhausts/blow off valves and mopeds. Who this policy is aimed at is beyond me.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

When you have texts between the Cum Dom and Johnson agreeing "yeah Hancock is a useless oval office" it's pretty clear he's not wanted

Remember when he had to go on TV defending Johnson calling him loving useless? Good times

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's a beer trap policy. You're supposed to oppose it so Starmer can go "I can't believe they actually want yobbos driving around at night!"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a beer trap policy. You're supposed to oppose it so Starmer can go "I can't believe they actually want yobbos driving around at night!"

Yes I’m sure the 12 people it affects will be up in arms

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Exactly, the best thing to do is just ignore it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Party Boat posted:

This surely has to be the killer blow.

Yeah buddy, politicians facing consequences for their actions, yeah that's a thing that totally happens

Also Cummings probably fancied this aide and that's what got him so angry at him, much more believable than hating him for poor performance. This is why he likes Give, he knows ain't nobody lining up for a piece of that

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer : We must emulate New Labour

Voters : you mean being polished and professional while offering transformative policies?

Starmer : No.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's so obviously the result of asking a focus group of suburbanites what annoys them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Labour: Tough on rented Lamborghinis, tough on the causes of rented Lamborghinis

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
When I got married I looked into renting something stupid with 12 cylinders for the ceremony and the costs of something fast and flashy was really stupidly high and had hidden costs/restrictions

Like most of them in the cheaper rental tiers would be limited on acceleration and top speed, fitted with GPS trackers so you couldn't take them to tracks without being caught etc

You don't need an expensive car to do silly speeds in built up areas, the average mid range hatchback has more power/ability to lay it down than many "performance" cars from my youth

but aye kieth you go off on one, not like the climate is falling apart and the youth have literally no future and a growing awareness of that, we need to go after some mischievous tykes on 2 stroke trail bikes with yet more laws a tattered system can't enforce anyway

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol I just remembered they plastered the Queen feeling sorry for him over the front pages.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Necrothatcher posted:

It's so obviously the result of asking a focus group of suburbanites what annoys them.

It has the same energy as the people who don’t work for ferrari who live in Maranello complaining about all the ferrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If Zipcar ever start black boxing their cars I'm hosed. I mean what's the point of a hire car if *not* to do impromptu performance testing? as P.J. O'Rourke put it:

Can confirm, writing off a rental car is much more fun than writing off your own car.

Although I can't really recommend either.