Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

Please keep this post in mind when you see a company that offers unlimited vacation days. That's actually code for "you never get days off".

I actually yell at my employees if they "check in" from vacation. It works: it's part of our culture now that everyone is expected to not think about work on their days off!

I do love the loving double speak of corporate culture. I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Please keep this post in mind when you see a company that offers unlimited vacation days. That's actually code for "you never get days off".

I actually yell at my employees if they "check in" from vacation. It works: it's part of our culture now that everyone is expected to not think about work on their days off!

At big search company that's what we had and par for the course the only days off I ever got were when I got married and hosed off to Monterey to be sad for two weeks.

Escape From Noise

Wow. The system is so great!

Finger Prince

I never felt any guilt or remorse for taking vacation, days off, sick days, leaving my work phone at home when I go away, not checking it or emails on my days off or after shift or on vacation, because gently caress 'em that's why. (most of my career has been in a union so maybe that has something to do with it.)
Sometimes I do, if there's something going on I want to know about. That's up to me though.

God it's fricking freezing in here. I'm going to buy a radiator for my cubicle because this is is ridiculous.

Escape From Noise

I keep thinking about joining a union.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

I keep thinking about joining a union.

do it join us

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

do it join us

I need to find one. I wish I had the backbone to start up that kind of poo poo.

Finger Prince

My partner just found out that her org has been screwing everyone out of overtime they are entitled to, and nobody knew, because nobody ever really read and understood the collective agreement. So even if you're in a union, it's still up to you to understand the t's&c's and be vigilant for fuckery.
Now she's in the tough spot of filing a grievance which will probably see everyone on the unit getting craploads of retro pay, but probably end up getting the scheduler if not fired, at least in big poo poo. Because of course the scheduler was never taught how to do the job right, but it's not like the manager is going to accept responsibility. At least the scheduler is in a (different) union, so hopefully there's some protection there for her.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

In a very cool turn of events my warehouse manager is on the verge of quitting because of the finance person and I'm just checked the hell out now.

IGgy IGsen

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
boss makes a dollar I make a dime
that's why I post on company time

Escape From Noise

Just got next month's schedule. The fact that I'm working a shifting restaurant style schedule as a brewer is already complete bullshit, but the schedule they've given me is completely ridiculous and unnecessary. Seven days in a row? Are you loving kidding me?

Ass-penny

How many hours a day? The worst I ever did was 2 months without a day off, would not recommend it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

1 year, 9 months, 17 days straight without a single day off. 7 days a week, 18 hour days. When I was the AGM of a hotel.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

1 year, 9 months, 17 days straight without a single day off. 7 days a week, 18 hour days. When I was the AGM of a hotel.

:pusheen:

How are you still alive?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

rear end-penny posted:

:pusheen:

How are you still alive?

Spite.

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

How many hours a day? The worst I ever did was 2 months without a day off, would not recommend it.

About 8 hours. Brew days take about 12 because the owner didn't get a mill. I'm mostly just irritated because it's totally unnecessary. I don't know what logic it's following.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

About 8 hours. Brew days take about 12 because the owner didn't get a mill. I'm mostly just irritated because it's totally unnecessary. I don't know what logic it's following.

The "well, he HAS to do it because he's on a visa" logic.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

That's the thing that is absolutely hosed and everyone knows it, unscrupulous employers do it in every country to people on visas.

Escape From Noise

My schedule is actually not even as bad as my Japanese coworkers. I dunno. I think he's just a dick.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

When's your last day? Could you, legally, just be extra sick from, uh, diarrhea until then?

Escape From Noise

Last day is August 15th. I think I'll just stick it out. It's frustrating, but not as bad as it could be. I'm definitely dropping by the housing agent's today and setting up an appointment for my next two days off.

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie

Wait what? You cracking those grains by mortar and pestle? Stomping down a huge tub of barley like wine makers of old, but there's no juice and now you have bleeding soles. Thanks boss

Escape From Noise

okiedoke posted:

Wait what? You cracking those grains by mortar and pestle? Stomping down a huge tub of barley like wine makers of old, but there's no juice and now you have bleeding soles. Thanks boss

Oh, no, we buy milled grains which are milled a bit too fine for our system leading to stuck sparges and runoff.

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
Lame. Hell, even the homebrew suppliers around here will mill stuff to whatever specs you want. I get that it's not industrial quantities, but still.

Escape From Noise

okiedoke posted:

Lame. Hell, even the homebrew suppliers around here will mill stuff to whatever specs you want. I get that it's not industrial quantities, but still.

Yeah, that's the issue. We're buying at larger volume, like a couple hundred kilos a month. Can't really lock in specs at that volume over several customers all over the country. The issues from pre crushed malt are manageable at smaller volumes but at 500 liters it starts to become an issue. It's also dumb at this size because, while a malt mill is more money up front, you eventually save on cost and have more malts available to you.

Escape From Noise

Edit: wrong thread

Escape From Noise

Just had a meeting with my new old boss. Next month is going to be kind of a poo poo storm for me. My old company wants me to brew some beers soon after they get their license next month, meaning I'm going to basically go in on my days off to brew. They have been paying me this whole time, and I'll be able to just get things running. They only discussed making two beers, so I'm just going to have a pretty rough couple of weeks. That said... I'm kind of up for it. I want to get a head start on all this and get things set. Old place didn't really pressure me or anything. I dunno. Maybe I'm crazy.

Escape From Noise

The more I look at this schedule, the more frustrating it gets. This poo poo is such a mess.

Escape From Noise

It's already shifting and I'm supposed to just make a new beer with bread that I've been given zero guidelines or whatever on. I mean, I guess I could just put bread in an existing recipe. This poo poo's loving stupid.

cruft

That said... I'm kind of up for it. I want to get a head start on all this and get things set. Old place didn't really pressure me or anything. I dunno. Maybe I'm crazy.

Or maybe you take pride in your work and are excited to be given an opportunity to apply yourself toward a quality product? I know, I know, call me crazy.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

Or maybe you take pride in your work and are excited to be given an opportunity to apply yourself toward a quality product? I know, I know, call me crazy.

What? Are you out of your freakin' mind???

Finger Prince

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Friday before a week of PTO for leaving NC; I have one hour of on-call left and a 1:1 before I think nothing of computers for several days.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The girl on the right is my former HR director

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

One of my bosses is out of the office today so it could go either way today but as it stands I'm PUMPED

Finger Prince

I notice my coffee consumption has increased now I'm on 12hr shifts. Need to watch that. 2 cups is ok right?
Also a contributing factor to sleepy feeling might be the little space heater I just bought for my cubicle that's keeping me toasty and warm like sitting by a crackling fire in a cozy sweater except its a whirring fan and now I don't need to wear my cozy sweater which leaves lint on all my clothes.

cruft

I met a neighbor walking his dog this morning, he told me people at $FIRM are being told "tomorrow you must start coming in to work every day."

I manage a bunch of younger people with tech jobs. I've gotten three unsolicited emails from recruiters at companies I'd love to work for, asking me to apply for a work from home position. I bet they've gotten more.

I'm worried we're going to see a ton of attrition real soon after it's our turn to get <24h notice we must upend our lives. I have a little dog who's never spent 8h on her own, but some people have kids or aging parents they have to sort out.

This is gonna be a poo poo show.

Finger Prince

This is what happens when the means of production are controlled by the bourgeoisie.

cruft

Well I think the pain's about to be real for these folks when 25% of my team leaves in 2 months. And if they expect me to pick up the slack, I may also decide the Large Online Catalog Company would actually be a pretty good place to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

I've been trawling through the AskAManger 'updates' archive again, which is providing yet another marvelous view of Why Capitalism Sucks So Much.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean