Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Tell me, Mr CEO, what good is a project roadmap when you cannot develop?

If that is even your real name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

seconding this

the attrition in my department is THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT so far this year and corporate is talking about getting everybody back in the office

35%? Rookie numbers there. We're averaging ~ 400% a year at my company.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Spatule posted:

I got this, but worse, early in my carreer: I got asked after a good interview to send a mail with what I considered a decent compensation package and then... nothing for 10 days. I had to call to be told they found "someone better" right after they interviewed me.

Everytime I meet the guy who manages that company (which is once or twice a year on trade shows and poo poo) and was the one who never got back to me, I greet him with "Hey firstname, go gently caress yourself". It has been 10+ years. I have explained to dozens of people in my field how lovely that company is. I have blacklisted them as a supplier at my current job. They are losing 100.000k+ a year. I will die on this hill and carry the grudge to my grave.

:sickos:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shroud posted:

35%? Rookie numbers there. We're averaging ~ 400% a year at my company.

400%? I'm just impressed with that. We didn't even hit those kind of numbers when I worked for an outsourcing firm that billed itself as a talent scout for the companies it provided services to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

Not the best option but a cheap option is semi disposable side shields that clip onto your regular glasses. Only really recommended if your regular specs are hard plastic (not glass) and bug enough to give you decent top/bottom protection.
Those things are more meant to tick a box/appear like you are following rules without actually protecting anything.

If your employer doesn't pony up for prescription safety glasses, it's expensive but liberating to get your own. Highly recommended to avoid safety glasses plus contacts or those godawful glasses that you wear on top of your regular glasses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get an air conditioned protective hood. Live like a spaceman.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

Those things are more meant to tick a box/appear like you are following rules without actually protecting anything.

If your employer doesn't pony up for prescription safety glasses, it's expensive but liberating to get your own. Highly recommended to avoid safety glasses plus contacts or those godawful glasses that you wear on top of your regular glasses.

I've had them deflect minor zingers from the side but yeah, they're not super great.

If you get your own prescription glasses go to a store and try them on. I stupidly bought some online and they were so inexplicably huge I couldn't wear them without a strap across the back of my head.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My team hasn't had any turnover ( except for the guy who's mutter about needing to go look at an issue and would go leave for a beer and who also broke his hand punching an exterior door, but he left before Covid).

I think we all got PTSD'd by other jobs and all stumbled on a team that actually works well together and gas a competent manager so we're hanging on till the bitter end. I feel like there's also an unspoken "suicide pact" where if one of us quits we all do because gently caress it, we have zero loyalty to this company, but actually like each other enough.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We had a decent number of retirements as old guys who should have retired years ago finally realized it wasn't worth dying at work, but there's been very little turnover otherwise. State workers are like ticks.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've erased out the names and phone numbers and stuff but this was literally just sent to our entire 3000 person multi-state company

I had a PTSD flashback to my call center days when Management did this all the time with clipart and werid fonts to announce a pizza party that was to boost the morale before they annouced layoffs.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Smik posted:

So serious question -- how widespread does everyone think this level of mismanagement really is spread? Knowing that new hires take awhile to learn the ropes, that high turnover means massive knowledge loss, this is all basic management stuff, right? RIght?!

In every management video game I've ever played, there has never been an "NO EXCUSES!" option. Is there really that much distribution of stupid in the world?

I've had 11 jobs and the more prestigious ones were generally better due to competing for talent with other big Engineer destination jobs like NASA, Caterpillar, automakers and aerospace mfgrs.

Every small machine shop sucked, every retail job sucked, bus driving sucked. All my internships and my current position own(ed).

Outsource for my company sucks, and I worked for v given before I hooked the fence. I send no work to my old department, I use other suppliers for that and I specifically tell them why (they hosed me out of 7k and I have first hand experience with their poor engineering QA).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zarin posted:

I do wonder if The Goon Generation (TM) is uniquely placed in history where we grasp the Windows UI better than most because we grew up with it (this statement assumes some level of privilege I guess but bear with me): the people before us didn't have computers at all, and the ones coming up behind are growing up with tablets/smartphones, so they look at the Start Menu as some sort of weird thing they only use for work, similar to how I view most of the B2B software I use.

That was very depressing to write, I need to go lie down.

Queen Victorian posted:

I actually read an article about this effect a few years ago (but for the life of me can't find it - I know XP inside and out but can't Google for poo poo), where it discussed how people who came of age between the 80's and early 00's (so basically after home computers became more mainstream but before smartphones and social media) are the generation of the most competent computer users and that because of modern UIs abstracting away the need to actually know anything about how a computer works, the adage of "young people are just better at technology" stopped being true and that being a "digital native" actually does not mean magically being good at computers, but merely being good at navigating smartphone interfaces etc. while not understanding any of the underlying technology.

From a while back, but there is indeed a name for this: The Oregon Trail Generation (which is a hell of a lot better than 'xennials"). We're the generation that remember growing up with paper maps and directions like "take the second left after the gas station," but then embracing new technological wonders like turn by turn nav on your smartphone. We may have used DOS, and touched config files, but we're not so old that computers are blood magic. We played The Oregon Trail in school and it was rad as hell. We dated before Meetup.com, and it sucked, and it sucks now too but in a different way.

I do like The Goon Generation though.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

man don’t resign in the middle of a meeting I had to stay late for, what the gently caress

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

the attrition in my department is THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT so far this year and corporate is talking about getting everybody back in the office
Does your department have disposable roles?

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Incredible. Post the angry emails.

Hi Manpurse,

As a team lead (I am not a team lead. I dont get paid to be a team lead, I dont have the title of team lead, I have just been here the longest) you need bring the team together, not drive them apart. Many of us have been working from home for over a year now and are doing so successfully in a challenging time. While we have seen many benefits to new ways of working, the Where We Work project team found that company culture and our ability to work together on complex initiatives can be negatively impacted when people are not regularly connecting with one another in person. That being said, we are looking at letting employees work from home part time after successfully applying to the program and with a satisfactory performance review (our company gives between 1-5 on your rating. It has no impact on your pay, bonus, career development. Corporate mandates we have a certain number of 1,2,3,4,5, so 95% of people get 3s). In the future please do not bring up your personal grievances during team meetings.

There has been such backlash that management is avoiding the question issue altogether, telling us to reach out to senior management, or the union. Or CEO recorded a video message yesterday, a key message being "vaccination is a personal choice and, as an employer, we respect that."

September is gonna be hilarious.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

manpurse posted:

While we have seen many benefits to new ways of working, the Where We Work project team found that company culture and our ability to work together on complex initiatives can be negatively impacted when people are not regularly connecting with one another in person.

It’s always darkly amusing that these statements are never backed with even anecdotal examples from management.

Even as a staunch advocate of letting people work wherever they work best, I can come up with examples of where it can cause friction (even if I don’t buy that it’s significant enough to demand co-location).

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

Does your department have disposable roles?

hahaha no, every departure has a measurable impact on projects

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're missing a shipment that the vendor swears was delivered to our 3 city block sized facility last week. I was in a meeting about this when they sent me the tracking number, which is helpful because we can usually figure out who signed for it and track stuff down from there.

Signed for by: C. OVID. gently caress you, FedEx.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Yeah, Ovid's name was Publius.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Was it anything that might have been useful/easily traded if it fell into public hands? Or is it just going to be "safely stored" on shelving rack 3614-A3 without anyone having written that down?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

hahaha no, every departure has a measurable impact on projects

And the managers aren't doing anything to triage the attrition?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Armauk posted:

They're bringing in donuts on Friday! What else do you want?!?!?!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Crackbone posted:

They're bringing in donuts on Friday! What else do you want?!?!?!

T...thanks, Mr. Boss Manager

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Volmarias posted:

From a while back, but there is indeed a name for this: The Oregon Trail Generation (which is a hell of a lot better than 'xennials"). We're the generation that remember growing up with paper maps and directions like "take the second left after the gas station," but then embracing new technological wonders like turn by turn nav on your smartphone. We may have used DOS, and touched config files, but we're not so old that computers are blood magic. We played The Oregon Trail in school and it was rad as hell. We dated before Meetup.com, and it sucked, and it sucks now too but in a different way.

I do like The Goon Generation though.

That's interesting I hadn't heard that term before. Knew someone in college who's dad had been a creator of Oregon Trail and they were baffled how it had achieved near total cultural saturation in our generation.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Lazyfire posted:

We're missing a shipment that the vendor swears was delivered to our 3 city block sized facility last week. I was in a meeting about this when they sent me the tracking number, which is helpful because we can usually figure out who signed for it and track stuff down from there.

Signed for by: C. OVID. gently caress you, FedEx.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

Was it anything that might have been useful/easily traded if it fell into public hands? Or is it just going to be "safely stored" on shelving rack 3614-A3 without anyone having written that down?

It's a label maker. Like, type in what you want something to say and it spits out a sticker. I buy the weirdest poo poo for this job. We're currently trying to find a $7k PCIe module that was apparently shipped to the right place, signed for by a real person and then got filed away somewhere because the vendor just put in the address and not the very specific location it needed to go to on there. We may have to have the vendor ship a second one if we can't find it soon.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

manpurse posted:

Hi Manpurse,

As a team lead (I am not a team lead. I dont get paid to be a team lead, I dont have the title of team lead, I have just been here the longest) you need bring the team together, not drive them apart. Many of us have been working from home for over a year now and are doing so successfully in a challenging time. While we have seen many benefits to new ways of working, the Where We Work project team found that company culture and our ability to work together on complex initiatives can be negatively impacted when people are not regularly connecting with one another in person. That being said, we are looking at letting employees work from home part time after successfully applying to the program and with a satisfactory performance review (our company gives between 1-5 on your rating. It has no impact on your pay, bonus, career development. Corporate mandates we have a certain number of 1,2,3,4,5, so 95% of people get 3s). In the future please do not bring up your personal grievances during team meetings.

There has been such backlash that management is avoiding the question issue altogether, telling us to reach out to senior management, or the union. Or CEO recorded a video message yesterday, a key message being "vaccination is a personal choice and, as an employer, we respect that."

lmao

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

It's the developers' fault because they left.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Buddha called together his directors for a root cause analysis on the recently cancelled software project.
"It's the developers' fault because they left." shouted the director of North American Sales.
"It's the architects' fault because they chose impossible technical groundworks." shouted the director of North American Implementation
"It's the sales people's fault because they promised impossible features to the customers." shouted the director of North American Technical Architecture.

The Buddha nodded and spake: "why did you guys hire the Buddha to run a capitalist enterprise anyway, this is so not my speed." And took a giant rip from his bong before walking out of the conference.

Thusly the directors returned to their petty fiefs trapped in the samsara of software development for only a few weeks longer before the company dissolved.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you meet the manager on the road, kill him.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally got to actually implement a software solution to automate an hour or two of work done multiple times daily today and holy poo poo, let me tell you what a relief it is to make SOME progress on it, even if it isn't for me (for another coworker who's been doing manual Excel work). Actual improvement to a process.

... We find out Monday if she gets to keep it as a tool or not. Odds are she'll keep using it even if it gets shot down, because why the hell wouldn't you? The fact it's even a question is telling though. Meanwhile I just have to figure out how the VBA tools in Excel handle the UI so I can make it more user friendly at some point (instead of "run this script from the VBA editor").

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Our IT team is made of of two guys, one of which is riddled by constant anxiety and the second which likes to go hiking/exercising any time the weather's nice (which means he splits on the regular). Trying to get anything done tech-wise is some really intense poo poo. Honestly not their fault - they need more help and have mentally checked out and decided to handle the small arenas they can control, which I totally get.

We will never hire extra IT folks though. Bc management never sees it as necessary.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Our IT team is made of of two guys, one of which is riddled by constant anxiety and the second which likes to go hiking/exercising any time the weather's nice (which means he splits on the regular). Trying to get anything done tech-wise is some really intense poo poo. Honestly not their fault - they need more help and have mentally checked out and decided to handle the small arenas they can control, which I totally get.

We will never hire extra IT folks though. Bc management never sees it as necessary.

"If it doesn't make profit it doesn't matter!"

I'm glad my company understands that IT is a necessary service and not just "Oh god they cost us how much!?"

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
The dumb thing my current company does is let salespeople make constant mistakes and create more work for literally everyone else.

I just started this lovely data entry job like a month and a half ago and I'm already looking for a way out. It's insane the level of coddling they receive. I know the reasoning is "well sales has one job and that's making the company money" but Jesus christ if I run 10 jobs in a day there will be at least 3 that have incorrect paperwork, missing signatures, just missing paperwork altogether, etc.

I feel like you could probably hire less data entry workers if you didn't just let dip poo poo salespeople do whatever they want and gently caress up on a third of their jobs.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Imagined posted:

If you meet the manager on the road, kill him.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Finally got to actually implement a software solution to automate an hour or two of work done multiple times daily today and holy poo poo, let me tell you what a relief it is to make SOME progress on it, even if it isn't for me (for another coworker who's been doing manual Excel work). Actual improvement to a process.

... We find out Monday if she gets to keep it as a tool or not. Odds are she'll keep using it even if it gets shot down, because why the hell wouldn't you? The fact it's even a question is telling though. Meanwhile I just have to figure out how the VBA tools in Excel handle the UI so I can make it more user friendly at some point (instead of "run this script from the VBA editor").

https://www.howtoexcel.org/vba/how-to-add-a-form-control-button-to-run-your-vba-code/
Can confirm this works with people who literally cannot log into a web page.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Xaintrailles posted:

https://www.howtoexcel.org/vba/how-to-add-a-form-control-button-to-run-your-vba-code/
Can confirm this works with people who literally cannot log into a web page.

Thanks - I'm off for the weekend but I'll give it a crack on Monday and see if I can get it to work with what they need.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At IBM in the COVID era there worked two prominent directors of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, a Director of IT Infrastructure, remained in the office. He ate lunch precisely at noon every day to avoid time theft and never drank intoxicants with his meal.

The other director, Tanzan, a Director of Cloud Computing, worked from home. When he felt like eating he ate, and when he felt like sleeping in the daytime he slept.

One day Unsho had an unscheduled Zoom call with Tanzan, who was drinking wine at the time, not even a drop of which is supposed to touch the tongue of an IBM employee while on the job.

'Hello, brother,' Tanzan greeted him. 'Won't you have a drink?'

'I never drink during working hours!' exclaimed Unsho solemnly.

'One who does not drink during work is not even human,’ said Tanzan.

'Do you mean to call me inhuman just because I do not indulge in intoxicating liquids!' exclaimed Unsho in anger. Then if I am not human, what am I?'

'A CEO.' answered Tanzan.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

manpurse posted:

Hi Manpurse,

Laffo.

Ask if that was an offer for a promotion to team lead, and if so what pay increase and/or other perks come with the role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

We're doing our best, but there's only so much we can do, and we can't fix the actual problems.

This has been a low-cost area for a long drat time, and so it's also been a low-salary area, relative to the rest of North America. And our office in particular pays less than even the rest of the places around here. However, we've always been able to retain talent because of benefits not present at many other places. The work/life balance has been great (almost no overtime, ever), we had a great cafeteria with low-cost great food (like a complete butter chicken meal for $7 CDN). We had dedicated kitchen staff who kept the free coffee flowing all dang day. We had a merit-based cash award system that had a per-person max per year that was not amazing but still a nice perk. Managers could evaluate team members based on performance, period. Raises and promotions were two separate processes, done in two rounds per year: one for lvl 1-3, and one for lvl 4+ - this meant we could promote based on merit when people were ready, and the bucket for raises were large enough that everybody got at least cost-of-living every year and those who performed well got more. We have a STIP for lvl 4+ that used to be based on personal MBOs. People have tended to stay with the company for a long time, like my senior guys are both 18 years with the company.

Some of this started backsliding over the past few years, but it's been a slow decline.

• Open evaluations became curve-based, which is loving stupid and I hate it.
  • Raises and promotions got mashed into a single round of both for everybody. Now if I want to promote somebody, I literally have to take away from everybody else's raises. Hardly anybody is even getting cost-of-living anymore. It sucks, and I hate it.
  • Our per-person cash reward system has become a per-team budget points-for-products system which has a dollar value average of less than 1/4 what it was before. It's awesome, I love it! Wait no I hate it.
  • Our STIP has gone from mainly personal MBOs to mainly org MBOs which are almost never met so our bonuses have been cut in half or worse. Not sure how I feel about this one. Wait no I know exactly how I feel - I hate it.

This was all bad enough, but it was spread out over enough time that people got used to each individual lovely thing. Over the past year, however, poo poo has REALLY accelerated.

• Shortly after COVID started, anybody who could WFH started WFH. This was great, but they got rid of the cafeteria staff and replaced all the coffee with a single coffee machine. This coffee machine can serve up a single cup of coffee in about a minute. It's good coffee, and this is fine with 1/10th of our workforce in the office, but now they're talking about bringing everybody back. This is not going to work with 400 people in the building.
  • They're not bringing back any of the cafeteria staff. Instead, they installed a lovely self-serve system with junk food and truck-stop sandwiches. Which are overpriced. And not enough for our 400 people. There are no other food options within walking distance as we're in an industrial park.
  • Our lovely little city has absolutely exploded, our cost of living has exploded, housing prices have exploded, and our already-small salaries now feel much smaller.
  • Actually smart businesses have realized that they can have remote workers and still get poo poo done. Our devs are able to get good salaries and not move.

And we're talking about returning to the office, which is absolutely the stupidest thing they could do at this point.

I can do nothing about most of this poo poo. I can be as fair as possible with the raises and promotions, but I can't force finance to give me a bigger bucket to work with. The curve, the rewards, the in-office work is all pushed down to us. I can't fund the cafeteria.

So I go into our system, and flag every single person on my team as a High Retention Risk. HR is already aware that we're losing people. I don't give my guys poo poo about vacation time or personal time or any other time for anything, ever. I do my best to unblock people, and abstract as much bullshit away from them as possible. Not that it was happening often before, but I now absolutely refuse to ask anybody to do overtime. I honestly don't know what else I can do.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 26, 2021