Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I would buy a 300k mile GX no problem. I picked up my 2002 4Runner in December 2018 at 315k. The only issue I've had with it was a series of alternators that a lovely battery was killing. They were all covered under warranty from a buddy's shop, so it was just the inconvenience of breaking down on. It's almost at 350k now and I'd be surprised if I couldn't get a couple of grand more than what I paid right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Buy a sequoia, it's basically the same thing for a quarter of the price.
Mine has 307k miles and the thing is an absolute unit. I take it offroading, camping, pulling car trailers, driving to work... Great car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm certainly not closed to the idea, but some of the Lexus creature comforts are attractive to me - heated seats, nicer interior, less truck-based suspension.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Krakkles posted:

I'm certainly not closed to the idea, but some of the Lexus creature comforts are attractive to me - heated seats, nicer interior, less truck-based suspension.

The limited has heated leather seats, they all have auto climate control with a heater core and AC evaporator in the back with separate controls.
Nice interior just gets trashed offroading and camping...
Truck-based suspension is a bit agricultural (sequoia does have rear coils), but it's a lot cheaper to fix/upgrade. If the hydraulic horseshit breaks on the lexus, have fun.

Also, the lexus has a master cylinder with built-in electric brake boost and ABS, the whole unit is something like $2000. The sequoia has a traditional master cylinder that's about $50.

For me it's a give and take, and I like simplicity and reliability, especially if i'm going out into woods camping/wheeling.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm by no means an expert but the only fancy thing on the GX I can think of is KDSS, which doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of reliability. I guess you have air bags on some models too. The main weakness I've seen is the rear diff and that may be only on the 470s but I'm not sure.

Offroad LS400:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36524494/natasha-adams-1990-lexus-ls400/

How important is a winch? Assuming my front bumper actually arrives at some point, if I wanted to add a winch the time to do it would be during the install. I expect to only be doing bigger offroad trips twice a year, so it's not like I'm spending every weekend hitting obscure trails. My original plan was to add one once I got to the point where I was in a situation where it would be helpful, although that may not be the best plan. They're not *that* expensive relative to the cost of everything else, and the only downside I see is added weight and one more thing that may require occasional maintenance. My plans are currently the more popular trails anyway, so I'd probably have help if needed, but on the other hand it may be nice for the peace of mind.

I forgot to add I'm trying to get everything heavy added to my GX before I buy my lift, so I don't have to keep on swapping out springs in the future. But I'm still undecided on if I have to get a tire carrier or if I can get away with the stock spare location.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 30, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MomJeans420 posted:

How important is a winch?

How hard are the routes you're driving and what's your skill level? Do you have friends coming along who have a winch or are you soloing far from civilization?

highme
May 25, 2001

Ugh, currently in Bend, OR (it’s great here, that’s not what the ugh is about) where prior to heading to southern Oregon for some camping on Friday my wife noticed fluid underneath my 4Runner (2002) that shouldn’t be there. After some investigation I am fairly sure I have a slow leak from the water pump. We left it here and piled into our friends’ truck to go camping. When we got back to Bend this AM most of the water I’d filled the reservoir with was now underneath my truck.

Now to the ugh. We’re $6 x 60 miles outside of the 100 mile range for our AAA. I figured it would be the same price to repair it here as it will be home so our friends here contacted their mechanic and we likely couldn’t get it in until next week.

It’s not a super fast leak, would you risk a 160 mile drive on it? Or at least the 60 miles to tow coverage that would likely be in limited cell service?

That’s a rhetorical question now, AAA called while I was typing this out and we opted to just get it home.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
$20 on the coolant pump weeping. No, you probably won't make it home. Isn't that a 5vz or something with a cambelt driven pump? doubly not doing that in the woods...

Atticus_1354 posted:

How hard are the routes you're driving and what's your skill level? Do you have friends coming along who have a winch or are you soloing far from civilization?

Seconding this... need more information

highme
May 25, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

$20 on the coolant pump weeping. No, you probably won't make it home. Isn't that a 5vz or something with a cambelt driven pump? doubly not doing that in the woods...

I’ll check the coolant pump (that I wasn’t aware existed). I didn’t want to make the drive anyway, so pulling up to the house to see an expanded puddle was a relief. It’s close to needing it’s 4th timing belt anyway, so the water pump was getting replaced soonish.

Edit: don’t know why I didn’t realize coolant/water pump was interchangeable, but the water pump was what I assumed failed.

highme fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 1, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm by no means an expert but the only fancy thing on the GX I can think of is KDSS, which doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of reliability. I guess you have air bags on some models too. The main weakness I've seen is the rear diff and that may be only on the 470s but I'm not sure.

Offroad LS400:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36524494/natasha-adams-1990-lexus-ls400/

How important is a winch? Assuming my front bumper actually arrives at some point, if I wanted to add a winch the time to do it would be during the install. I expect to only be doing bigger offroad trips twice a year, so it's not like I'm spending every weekend hitting obscure trails. My original plan was to add one once I got to the point where I was in a situation where it would be helpful, although that may not be the best plan. They're not *that* expensive relative to the cost of everything else, and the only downside I see is added weight and one more thing that may require occasional maintenance. My plans are currently the more popular trails anyway, so I'd probably have help if needed, but on the other hand it may be nice for the peace of mind.

I asked a similar question a page or two ago, and had some good responses from the goons here about a winch being less of a priority than things like better tires, and various other types of gear that can prevent you from getting stuck in the first place.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to go with one of these for the time being:

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I believe this is the item that our offroading minivan dude swears by, he seems to know what he's doing.

I've gotten by without having a winch, but I don't really offroad solo and have all of the "don't get stuck in the first place" things done. I have not yet needed a winch to get out of anything, and I've only had to have someone pull me once (on Kane Creek Road in Moab, there was a ledge that I probably could have climbed, but would have had to hit it hard enough that I'd be risking stuff).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Krakkles posted:

I believe this is the item that our offroading minivan dude swears by, he seems to know what he's doing.

I've gotten by without having a winch, but I don't really offroad solo and have all of the "don't get stuck in the first place" things done. I have not yet needed a winch to get out of anything, and I've only had to have someone pull me once (on Kane Creek Road in Moab, there was a ledge that I probably could have climbed, but would have had to hit it hard enough that I'd be risking stuff).

Yeah, thats where I got the link from, his minivan thread.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Those look pretty cool, although at that price I'd probably just buy a winch.

Atticus_1354 posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

Seconding this... need more information

Current skill level is beginner, only done a little bit in Anza-Borrego. I'll be hitting the offroad park in Gorman, CA before I go on my more fun routes, but unfortunately work blew up so I'm not going to have time until October (planning my more interesting routes for spring 2022). So far I've been planning on the typical / tourist routes in Colorado and Utah (black bear pass, fins and things, etc.), along with some local things like Big Bear and Lake Tahoe. I won't be with someone who has a winch, but in general I think I'll be on trails with a fair amount of traffic (but maybe not always?).

Usually I'd be doing all the work on my vehicle myself so it's not the end of the world if I installed my bumper only to have to drop it in the future, but my left hand is all messed up right now so I'm paying a shop. I should have full use of my hand by October so theoretically I can drop the bumper myself to install the winch, but if I end up paying a shop to do it then a few hours of shop time is already a decent portion of the cost of a winch.

Maybe a better question is I was planning on just installing the bumper without one for right now, is that stupid?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

Those look pretty cool, although at that price I'd probably just buy a winch.

Current skill level is beginner, only done a little bit in Anza-Borrego. I'll be hitting the offroad park in Gorman, CA before I go on my more fun routes, but unfortunately work blew up so I'm not going to have time until October (planning my more interesting routes for spring 2022). So far I've been planning on the typical / tourist routes in Colorado and Utah (black bear pass, fins and things, etc.), along with some local things like Big Bear and Lake Tahoe. I won't be with someone who has a winch, but in general I think I'll be on trails with a fair amount of traffic (but maybe not always?).

Usually I'd be doing all the work on my vehicle myself so it's not the end of the world if I installed my bumper only to have to drop it in the future, but my left hand is all messed up right now so I'm paying a shop. I should have full use of my hand by October so theoretically I can drop the bumper myself to install the winch, but if I end up paying a shop to do it then a few hours of shop time is already a decent portion of the cost of a winch.

Maybe a better question is I was planning on just installing the bumper without one for right now, is that stupid?

Welcome to the Socal based, Solo off roading Taco club! I'd suggest a Hi Lift instead of a winch for a few reasons:

- at least with every trail you've listed so far, you would only need a winch if you purposefully went out looking for trouble. Most BLM/OHV trails are marked and rated for difficulty, and its extremely unlikely that you'll wander off the map into double black diamond stuff in the southwest. I cannot speak for every off road trail in the western US, but in my experience every trail had a 'should i be doing this?' section before it got to the 'poo poo.gently caress.' section. I.e. driving through lots of brush, hit the skid plate at the start of the rocks, etc. You will usually see a defeat route or a bypass for the genuinely gnarly stuff
- as a 3rd gen Taco owner, putting on a winch bumper is either very hard or extremely hard. I wouldnt want to put the bumper on now, to take it off and put the winch back on later.
- as an alternative to a winch or a comealong, I would suggest a 60" farm jack (needs to be 60". 48" always winds up being too short) with the winching kit (https://hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit/) There are numerous youtube videos that show how this process is done. Yes, its a huge pain in the rear end BUT its not as big a pain in the rear end as paying for/installing a winch on a Taco. Also, at least in my experience, I never needed to get winched more than five feet or so.
- as part of the hi lift, you will want a wheel lift kit https://hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate/ and the off road stand (https://hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-base/) There's nowhere on your truck that you can use a hi lift without damaging the truck or being unsafe, and You can also use this to free yourself from mud or sand - use the jack on the off road stand to lift up one wheel, stack stuff underneath it, lift other wheel and repeat.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 1, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I still have to look at jacks and recovery gear, I only have some basic items right now that were given to me so I'm not sure if I should even use them unless I can determine their age. I wouldn't mind an alternative to a hi-lift, but the x-jack doesn't seem as useful and arb's hydraulic alternative to a hi-lift looks nice but is very expensive. I'll have on sliders by the time I'm out there so at least I'll have lift points. That winching kit looks pretty cool though, I need to go spend some time on youtube.

I'm just adding a covert bumper to a GX460 so it's not as bad as it sounds. I was just going to do a bumper cut but then CBI had a sale after I came home from a brewery so I ended up paying for their bumper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1W43gHeK0

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

I still have to look at jacks and recovery gear, I only have some basic items right now that were given to me so I'm not sure if I should even use them unless I can determine their age. I wouldn't mind an alternative to a hi-lift, but the x-jack doesn't seem as useful and arb's hydraulic alternative to a hi-lift looks nice but is very expensive. I'll have on sliders by the time I'm out there so at least I'll have lift points. That winching kit looks pretty cool though, I need to go spend some time on youtube.

I'm just adding a covert bumper to a GX460 so it's not as bad as it sounds. I was just going to do a bumper cut but then CBI had a sale after I came home from a brewery so I ended up paying for their bumper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1W43gHeK0

I'd consider the Hi LIft to be a recovery tool more than anything. I still have the factory bottle jack in case I get a flat on a regular surface.

After all this shiling for Hi Lift, I should add - they can be crazy loving dangerous . Its safe to assume that a Hi Lift is always actively trying to murder you. They are safer than the come-along somebody posted earlier in this thread, but only marginally.

You should be thinking about air lockers instead :getin:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I like having a winch, it wasn't that expensive and gives me the confidence to hit up more exciting trails than I otherwise would, in a group or solo. A+ would recommend.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Vampire Panties posted:

I'd consider the Hi LIft to be a recovery tool more than anything. I still have the factory bottle jack in case I get a flat on a regular surface.

After all this shiling for Hi Lift, I should add - they can be crazy loving dangerous . Its safe to assume that a Hi Lift is always actively trying to murder you. They are safer than the come-along somebody posted earlier in this thread, but only marginally.

You should be thinking about air lockers instead :getin:

As the one who posted the come long a few posts ago, what its less safe about it vs the highlift for "winching"?
Not talking poo poo, legit curious. You can get the come along with some kind of Synthetic rope which is apparently less head-chop-offy should it break compared to steel cable.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

As the one who posted the come long a few posts ago, what its less safe about it vs the highlift for "winching"?
Not talking poo poo, legit curious. You can get the come along with some kind of Synthetic rope which is apparently less head-chop-offy should it break compared to steel cable.

IME come-alongs aren't designed or rated to recover vehicles, so its really easy to unknowingly exceed the limit and have it explode. The ratcheting systems and the spools on come-alongs (again, in my experience) don't handle the dynamic weight of vehicle recovery very well. The ones you've linked look to be very well made compared to the harbor freight / home depot models of my experience, but they're all rated for about 4-6k lbs. Sometimes all you need is a little drag, and thats OK, but I've blown up two separate come-alongs trying to recover vehicles that weighed less than 4000 pounds. One time the come-along broke a Nissan Hardbody free, but as the weight shifted it pulled on the drum at an odd angle. Second time the come-along was simply overloaded pulling a Bronco 2 out of the mud. In both of those scenarios, a hi-lift winch would've worked and been safer.

With that said, a hi lift still isnt really safe for lifting or winching. Obviously using a single jack to lift a vehicle 3+ feet in the air is dangerous, but also the ratcheting system can transfer energy back into the handle. Here is a link to a video showing what can happen when you lower a vehicle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVau7w-WIk
I couldn't find an example video, but this can also happen when you're winching a vehicle. There is also a lot of operator error that can happen with a Hi Lift, like leaving the handle down and having it come unlocked or getting your face between the jack and the handle.

Also cannot stress this enough - whichever solution, use synthetic ropes. They're far safer, they're easier to work with, and its easier to tell if they're damaged and need to be replaced.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 2, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Use synthetic. Use a heavy safety blanket on the line. Keep the winching/tow area clear of fleshy people. If you're winching on rocks, use a blanket on the rock to avoid chafing the synthetic line.

Highlifts are good in a pinch if you have metal on the vehicle or straps to use them with. They hunger for blood and will have no qualm busting you in the face or dropping a 3+ ton offroader on your leg.
I've carried highlifts for over a decade. I've had to use one maybe a dozen times. Never had a problem, but always respect those blood hungry fuckers. Never crawl under the vehicle, and if its gonna go, let it go and get out of the way.

A winchbumper without a winch isn't anything new. Cheap comealongs are deadlier than cheap highlifts. Don't bother with those.
There's some winchless recovery devices out there. (recovery strap, shovel, traction boards, receiver hitch pull block, etc) Stock those for the time being.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm planning to get a lower front guard on my WK2. It looks when I do that I'll have to replace the OEM hooks with something else so I can minimize the amount of cutting I have to do. What are the downsides to the recovery point vs. the recovery hook? It seems like the point is a better option, but I assume it comes from the factory with hooks for a reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hooks are popular because you can easily put just about anything on them - another hook, a shackle, just some looped chain/rope, whatever. But you can't safely pull any angle other than pretty much straight in line with the hook because pulling upwards runs the risk of pulling the rope/whatever straight off the hook.

Recovery points you can pull from any reasonable angle without any risk of things just slipping off, but you have to use a shackle. Shackles are cheap and easy to store, I'd run recovery points with shackles.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Always respect the full-auto uppercut dispenser.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Got the lift put on the truck and took it out last weekend. Original plan had been to drive through Joshua Tree for a shakedown, but I saw a '4 wheel drive road' sign and I couldn't pass it up.

Somewhere on the first leg of the road

Further along the road, up into the ridge

Rest Stop

Trail difficulty jumped from 2/10 to 8/10 almost instantly as the trail left the park. Hard technical rock crawling on fixed rock face with no clear lines. Took a few hard bounces and now my front end makes a clunky-clunky noise over bumps, but at least no body damage. I should've turned around and found the right trail, but it was late and I was tired. Lesson learned, no more impromptu off roading like that again. Hopefully something was just knocked loose on the truck and I can get it fixed to go back out next weekend and catch the right trail.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RE: hi-lifts, I've seen videos on how they can be dangerous and I get the general ideas behind not getting maimed by them, but I can also see how if I was having to mess with one in the dark / while exhausted / in the rain / whatever, I could easily make a mistake. Maybe it's not that bad in practice, but I will certainly give them respect if I get one.

Vampire Panties - what lift is that, and more importantly what breed is your dog?

I just lucked out - I was driving around town and noticed a bunch of built Toyotas outside of a shop. Turns out a shop opened up a month ago that specializes in Toyota/Lexus/off-road, and it's within walking distance of my house. I have sliders arriving soon that I can't install myself so this makes it really easy.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Are sliders that hard to fit? Every set I've done has been pretty simple, basically just slide on or press with a jack then do up some bolts, had to do some clearancing sometimes but nothing drastic.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

IME come-alongs aren't designed or rated to recover vehicles, so its really easy to unknowingly exceed the limit and have it explode.

There are a thousand lovely come-a-longs out there, and one good one made by Wyeth-Scott. You want the big one with the synthetic line. And read the manual, you need to wind the reel with tension or else the line will wedge. Don't just throw it in your trunk. Practice and learn the technique.

The Wyeth-Scott puller weighs 26 lbs and costs $400, but it's an extremely solid piece of gear. I've used it to recover my 4,000 lbs minivan a dozen times, and I've never even needed to use the pulley. I trust and rely on this puller. It is really good.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ili posted:

Are sliders that hard to fit? Every set I've done has been pretty simple, basically just slide on or press with a jack then do up some bolts, had to do some clearancing sometimes but nothing drastic.

Not at all, I was planning on installing them myself but I'm seven weeks in to getting my thumb half ripped off and just now starting to type with two hands, and I still can't even tie my shoes. Ordinarily I'd ask my buddies to help out, but right now it's a perfect storm between injuries, pregnant wives, recently out of long term relationship guys, and recently into long term relationship guys.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Not at all, I was planning on installing them myself but I'm seven weeks in to getting my thumb half ripped off and just now starting to type with two hands, and I still can't even tie my shoes. Ordinarily I'd ask my buddies to help out, but right now it's a perfect storm between injuries, pregnant wives, recently out of long term relationship guys, and recently into long term relationship guys.

Ah, that sounds right hosed mate.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

Vampire Panties - what lift is that, and more importantly what breed is your dog?

Fox Factory 2.5 coilovers / shocks with DSC reservoirs, SPC UCAs, Hellwig sway bars front & rear (shop guys couldn't stop rolling their eyes at the rear sway bar, but its my DD), OME EL111r springs, BAMF spring hangers with crossbar. I feel like the only misstep was the SPC UCAs - the shop manager gave an impassioned 10 minute speech about how SPC weren't meant to be used in lifts, they're designed to be used in wrecked cars to bring them back into alignment. After his speech, reading the website descriptions again, and seeing the SPC UCAs on the truck, I have very little confidence in them and I'll be looking to upgrade them ASAP. Not sure if I'm going to stay with a ball joint or upgrade to uniball. Ride quality is dramatically improved with this setup, especially on-road performance. Drove an hour up a washboard in Joshua Tree maintaining 25 mph+ and it was completely comfortable with zero fade. Its also fun pushing 3 series through turns :getin:

Flash is a Rat Terrier, although his coloring is relatively rare for the breed. He is also a very good boy & I'm very lucky to have him.

ryanrs posted:

There are a thousand lovely come-a-longs out there, and one good one made by Wyeth-Scott. You want the big one with the synthetic line. And read the manual, you need to wind the reel with tension or else the line will wedge. Don't just throw it in your trunk. Practice and learn the technique.

The Wyeth-Scott puller weighs 26 lbs and costs $400, but it's an extremely solid piece of gear. I've used it to recover my 4,000 lbs minivan a dozen times, and I've never even needed to use the pulley. I trust and rely on this puller. It is really good.

Interesting, I saw those when you linked them earlier in the thread. They look beefy, for sure, and its heartening to see the manufacturer offer to double the length of the handle, but I would need to see it in person before I felt comfortable spending that much money on a come-a-long. I've had two separate recoveries that were made 100x worse through come-a-long failure.

..and with all this talk of come-a-longs and hi lifts, I pulled the trigger on a Hiline bumper + Warn EVO 10s... *sigh* I know factually I don't need it and its a big ole boat anchor on the front of my truck, but here I am.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Fox Factory 2.5 coilovers / shocks with DSC reservoirs, SPC UCAs, Hellwig sway bars front & rear (shop guys couldn't stop rolling their eyes at the rear sway bar, but its my DD), OME EL111r springs, BAMF spring hangers with crossbar. I feel like the only misstep was the SPC UCAs - the shop manager gave an impassioned 10 minute speech about how SPC weren't meant to be used in lifts, they're designed to be used in wrecked cars to bring them back into alignment. After his speech, reading the website descriptions again, and seeing the SPC UCAs on the truck, I have very little confidence in them and I'll be looking to upgrade them ASAP. Not sure if I'm going to stay with a ball joint or upgrade to uniball. Ride quality is dramatically improved with this setup, especially on-road performance. Drove an hour up a washboard in Joshua Tree maintaining 25 mph+ and it was completely comfortable with zero fade. Its also fun pushing 3 series through turns :getin:

The SPCs are common in the GX 470/460 community and I haven't heard anything noticeably bad about them, they're a very common UCA when you lift more than 2". I would love a setup with better on-road performance though, my wife hates the ride of the GX and was especially not fond of me driving "too fast" in Joshua Tree (which was not fast at all). More importantly, that's a great looking dog, I guess I don't see a lot of rat terriers but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one with that coloring before.

ili posted:

Ah, that sounds right hosed mate.

Apparently traumatic injuries take longer than I thought to heal, as I just realized when I went to do the dumb "how many days in each month" thing on my knuckles on my left hand and realized that despite feeling a lot better, it's still so swollen that there is no space between my knuckles and it's all smooth. I got my pins removed and now I can even tie my shoes, but seeing as how I can't open jars and holding my baby hurts, I'm sticking with having a shop install my sliders this week. I'm pretty sure I'm finally healed enough to operate a clutch on a bike though :getin:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

As I've posted in the thread before, I have a Tacoma coming to me sometime between now and July of 2027.
I want a set of step bars/running boards/whatever the gently caress, but I don't really want to pay 600-1000+ dollars for them so I'm going to build them myself as steel is cheap and I know how to weld.

Most of the ones that I've seen appear to mount on the insides of the rocker panels, and while I'm sure thats sufficient, I'd prefer to mount them to the frame.
If I'm not mistaken, people mount rock rails or whatever the poo poo they're called to the frame, so is it safe to assume that if my welding skills are at least half as good as I think they are, I shouldn't have to worry about the frame flexing so much that they fall apart?

Is it worth my time to get some thin rubber pads to go between the mounts and the frame to absorb some vibration and allow for a bit of flex, or should I not bother?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mount them solidly to the frame, don't mount to (or touching) the body, don't insulate them from frame. If your frame is flexing that much, you have other problems.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
heh, coincidence from the questions thread.

Leave a half inch gap or so between the slider/step and the body. No insulation between the two components other than an air gap. Jackstands are useful in positioning. Shim em into position with whatever then tack in place, preheat the frame with a small torch(remember to move fuel lines!) then send with the welder. Mount them to the frame if you're using them as sliders or on a crew cab. Steps are fine on a sill plate in non-rustbelt regions. Bolting them on is fine.

I didn't make the above sliders otherwise I would have taken the lazy rear end route and used some Trig. Next time the cab comes off I'm gonna triangulate it with a third link to further reinforce it. They were on a truggy frame I bought to cut apart to use to box this one and never did.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks, I was hoping to bolt them to the frame though, but something to think about. Might need to practice my vertical welding skills.....

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Couple of videos from Calico last weekend. It was hot as gently caress out there so we had to head out early but it was funnn. What a cool area, lots of mines and just cool places.

Pucker pass - Why do my wheels keep straightening? I'm a trash offroader.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfn6pNASvQI

Calico canyon - narrowly avoiding body damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aozllnNh2M

Pics.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fox 2.0s worth it vs a less expensive alternative (Eibach/Peak)? Not sure I do enough to warrant the cost of 2.5s, might be a tough fit also.

edit nevermind i'm gonna get bilsteins if I ever get around to it.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 25, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Couple of videos from Calico last weekend. It was hot as gently caress out there so we had to head out early but it was funnn. What a cool area, lots of mines and just cool places.

This looks fun as hell.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

This looks fun as hell.

Seconded although screw that Pucker obstacle, I hate those kinds.

Would be cool to get another SoCal AI 4x4 run going one of these days, had a blast last time with everyone. Sold my 88 Cherokee this week and miss it already, but would be fun to meet up with my JK. Done a lot of camping and a few bad mine roads with it, but nothing to really engage the lockers except almost getting stuck in the Mojave Preserve when I took a bad line and slid into a deep rut that drained out immediately into a 200ft canyon.

Mojave Preserve is really cool though, very Big Thunder Mountain :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Calico looks pretty cool, my local bike shop just did a group ride there recently but I wasn't able to go. It's hard to tell from those photos but I'm not sure if even a built GX / 4runner could get through that, maybe the photos make it look tighter than it is.

And it's always DNS.

*edit*
Mojave Preserve looks pretty nice too, but I have such horrible memories of coming back from Vegas on the 15.