Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

How interested would people be in a LN thread? I don’t know how many LN readers there are and whether it would justify a separate thread to avoid spoiling the anime only folks

I only read the first volume so I think I will just stick with the anime as I don't know any easy places to read the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nephthys posted:

I just caught up with the show and I dunno. It hasn't been 100% confirmed yet. The official website hasn't updated the characters as being Destroyed yet. Also, I saw it pointed out that Lena's visit to the base was 17 days before Shin's final stand. So she has time to save them somehow.

:thunk: Hmmm, that's interesting. Everyone who got hit did go down rather cleanly. No marks whatsoever. The imagery with headless Shin and the brother can be taken in several ways as well I now that I think of it.

Also holy poo poo I love Avid. Sawano makes good stuff pretty much by default but this hits very different.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Caros posted:

I think you have the complaint backward. It is a story structure critisim, not a plot hole whine. As far as the anime goes, you could literally just replace the pararaid with a radio, remove that function from the drones and nothing changes.

It makes more sense in the LN because there it transmits quite a bit more sense data, so as a storytelling device it allows Lena to connect more intimately with the 86s. Since none of that carries over it feels like a weird decision to make their communication a weird sense sharing device that is functionally no different from a radio.

Yeah it's a story structure complaint, if they had just left it at "we have this tech because of radio jamming stuff" I'd just be like "well it's real dumb to have it just for that reason and get into this sensory/brain hacking element just for that, on the writing side of things." But there being more sense data stuff in the LN and tie-ins between the Para-Raid ESP research and Shin's special abilities makes it a solid story/writing choice. I was mostly on that "wtf why aren't these just radios" train when none of those story hooks had been out there yet.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If they're following the novels there's a lot more story coming. It could easily become important and by leaving the para raids intact that saves them the hassle of having to alter other things down the line.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Yeah it's a story structure complaint, if they had just left it at "we have this tech because of radio jamming stuff" I'd just be like "well it's real dumb to have it just for that reason and get into this sensory/brain hacking element just for that, on the writing side of things." But there being more sense data stuff in the LN and tie-ins between the Para-Raid ESP research and Shin's special abilities makes it a solid story/writing choice. I was mostly on that "wtf why aren't these just radios" train when none of those story hooks had been out there yet.

Why wasn't "this way lena can hear the dead voices that shin hears" not enough of a justification over a radio? That's a plot point that's introduced what, in episode 4 or 5?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ninjewtsu posted:

Why wasn't "this way lena can hear the dead voices that shin hears" not enough of a justification over a radio? That's a plot point that's introduced what, in episode 4 or 5?

Might be argued that it was in episode one, honestly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand how any of that intimacy light novel stuff is what makes the para raid justified when the dead voices is so central to the plot and only works because of the para raid. It'd be a pretty different story if everyone could hear the voices ,and also if lena couldnt hear them over the radio

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would be possible to record the voices if they could be heard over a radio. none of these suggested alterations would make the story better in any way.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the 'special episode' is just a recap narrated by lena

Season 2 in October

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That new Legion bot they tease after credits is totally Shin tho

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So wait is there new footage in the special?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

So wait is there new footage in the special?

There's a small second season teaser(like 15-20 seconds) at the end of the credits.

Also an English version of Avid as the ending theme.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That recap episode had the weirdest mish mash of music, it was like they just cut clips out of the episodes and stitched them together regardless of the context of the scenes they were in. Extremely lazy and I'm really not sure why they did it since the only thing worthwhile was the last 15 seconds which could have been put at the end of the credits of the previous episode.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Sounds mostly like the kind of thing they do because they have dibs on the time slot so might as well use it. Also (second cour potential spoilers) they previewed models for the robots from the second half at an event before the airing of this last episode, which kind of takes the wind out of the teaser at the end.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

stabbington posted:

Sounds mostly like the kind of thing they do because they have dibs on the time slot so might as well use it. Also (second cour potential spoilers) they previewed models for the robots from the second half at an event before the airing of this last episode, which kind of takes the wind out of the teaser at the end.

Do you have a link for that?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Mordja posted:

Do you have a link for that?

https://bandai-hobby.net/series/eightysix/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Love how extremely I-IV those designs are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Looks like the Legion have upgraded!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like the Legion have upgraded!

They've gotta stay ahead of the curve.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress I just remembered that this exists and binged the entire thing and now I'm a broken sobbing mess for the rest of the day.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Binging a bunch of this show made me feel physically ill, first show to have that effect on my since Black Mirror

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm a bit surprised they don't have any kits of the Legion yet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Argas posted:

I'm a bit surprised they don't have any kits of the Legion yet.

What do you mean kits from the legion? They are machines. They don't have gear they lug around.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

What do you mean kits from the legion? They are machines. They don't have gear they lug around.

I think they mean figures/models for us to engage in the activity of assembly of models for display on shelves.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I would absolutely buy a Löwe model kit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

wdarkk posted:

I would absolutely buy a Löwe model kit.

Hilariously you can!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You don't absolutely need bad guys to put the good guys against.

But it'd be nice sometimes, you know?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I would want the Legion Machines more cause they are cooler looking for the most part.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That sleek, organic CG look is one of the iconic signatures of I-IV's mechanical design, too, so getting a kit of that feels like proper representation of their work. The rustbucket San Magnolian Juggernauts feel like they only tell half the story.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly I would want the Legion Machines more cause they are cooler looking for the most part.

Helps that the Legion machines aren't made of aluminum or basically held together with duct tape and chicken wire.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I was watching the dub to see how people sound, and my immediate thought when I heard dub-Shin was "that sounds exactly like Hiroto Kuga" and it's the same guy.

It kind of makes sense, they're the same guy at absolutely opposite ends of the grittiness spectrum.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is the dub any good? I have a few friends who absolutely refuse to watch subbed anime.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Talorat posted:

Is the dub any good? I have a few friends who absolutely refuse to watch subbed anime.

It sounds fine? I only watched ep1 but everyone seems to be doing a good job, especially for Lena and Shin.

Also :sever:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dubs are cool. I didn't know the dub for this show was out, I'll need to give it a watch

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the dub's like a 7/10

the performances are generally pretty good but i noticed pretty often that the wording was very very close to identical to the sub (i had happened to rewatch the first few episodes recently so the exact wording stuck out to me), which i think was often to its detriment and made some of the character interactions seem kinda dumb.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 28, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Trailer for the next season is out. October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8_ttQHULLU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there wasn't any new animation in that trailer, was there?

having a date is cool

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

there wasn't any new animation in that trailer, was there?

having a date is cool

There was. Milize has changed her look slightly. They are pretty subtle in the shots so unless you’ve read the LN’s it’s easy to miss.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 20, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

the dub's like a 7/10

the performances are generally pretty good but i noticed pretty often that the wording was very very close to identical to the sub (i had happened to rewatch the first few episodes recently so the exact wording stuck out to me), which i think was often to its detriment and made some of the character interactions seem kinda dumb.

ok so actually about halfway through the dub becomes a 9 out of 10. honestly the later episodes are some of the best dubbing i think i've ever heard

something i put together on rewatch was that the reason spearhead received the gently caress off and die order was because of lena's requests for reinforcements. when she confronts her uncle directly about not getting any, he tells her that he's already told the reinforcements people about her requests and they've already put together the quarterly reinforcement plan. the juggernauts for the replacement spearhead processors show up like the very next day, so lena telling everyone that spearhead didn't have enough soldiers was what informed them that spearhead had been whittled away enough that it was time to throw out the old batch and bring in the next one. what's kind of incredible about the show's portrayal of fascism is that for how wildly ineffective it is at conducting its stated goals (putting forward any more than the bear minimum towards defeating the foreign army), it's insidiously efficient at conducting its real goals (the merciless eradication of the 86 and convincing the populous to accept the new status quo without complaint)

good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

ok so actually about halfway through the dub becomes a 9 out of 10. honestly the later episodes are some of the best dubbing i think i've ever heard

something i put together on rewatch was that the reason spearhead received the gently caress off and die order was because of lena's requests for reinforcements. when she confronts her uncle directly about not getting any, he tells her that he's already told the reinforcements people about her requests and they've already put together the quarterly reinforcement plan. the juggernauts for the replacement spearhead processors show up like the very next day, so lena telling everyone that spearhead didn't have enough soldiers was what informed them that spearhead had been whittled away enough that it was time to throw out the old batch and bring in the next one. what's kind of incredible about the show's portrayal of fascism is that for how wildly ineffective it is at conducting its stated goals (putting forward any more than the bear minimum towards defeating the foreign army), it's insidiously efficient at conducting its real goals (the merciless eradication of the 86 and convincing the populous to accept the new status quo without complaint)

good show

That's a really good observation! I didn't catch it either.