Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If this thing killed kids like it does old folks, I bet we'd see >85% vaccination rates already.

Edit: Jeeze, that sure was a reply to page snipe with. Let me be clear, I am not at all wishing for this. I just want people to take it seriously, and sadly that's probably what it would take for this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What I really want to know if getting a mild case of Delta covid after being vaccinated still can result in long-term issues or not. I suppose we can't know this for a little while longer, but if it is the case that vaccination does prevent long covid symptoms even if a mild illness still develops that would be a lot easier to deal with than a return of that fear that I could get really messed up from this.

Like it if could be brought down to actual 'just the flu, bro' levels through effective if imperfect vaccines I think we could probably deal with that a lot better than 'let's do 2020 all over again'.

Of course this is all predicated on people both begin able to get vaccinated and choosing to get vaccinated.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

what are you talking about five days? it's been going up since like mid april

mr_jolly posted:

One thing to bear in mind with the uk dashboard is that the hospitalization data is always about five days out of date, you can see when the latest update was by hovering over the summary.

Thankfully, the uk government can't see anything in the data to suggest that despite a large rise in cases (which although may not require hospital treatment now could still develop long covid), hospitalizations and patients in icu that we can't "do an israel" in a few weeks and scrap all remaining restrictions including facemasks.

Oh......

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1408135897766195203

On that chart it went from in the 10s to 205 in 5 days

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

gohuskies posted:

The city of Seattle has a population of 724k and our 7 day rolling average is 17.6 cases per day as of 6/21. 2.5 cases per 100k population is about as over as COVID might ever be. I'm still wearing a mask at the grocery store, but I'm not scared or nervous even a little bit unless/until something dramatically changes.

1.1/100k in Baltimore :toot: We're about to go below 100 people hospitalized in the entire state as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kragger99 posted:

I'm glad some of you feel safe, and have done what you can to protect yourselves. Just remember many children haven't been/aren't able to get vaxxed, and some of them never will because their parents don't think this pandemic is a real threat. There's also a % of the population that just can't get the vax for other reasons. If you're fine with contributing to the quite rare, but still possible chance of passing it on to them, go about your life in bliss.
Personally I care about other people (even the selfish people that only care about themselves), and know that not everyone educates themselves with facts/data. Many people are shaped by a non-supportive upbringing/environment, and can't change that.
I want to be able to look back a few years from now and be proud of the decisions I made, good or bad.

pelosi clap

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

learnincurve posted:

When do people think tests are done? This isn’t Australian data.

People in the U.K. ill enough to need hospital have the test when they are already showing symptoms which is why there isn’t a huge lag when you compare the tests and hospitalisation charts.

That's probably true in the Pillar 1 data, but the Pillar 2 tests are generally for mild symptoms/precautionary in the community, which could develop into disease requiring hospitalisation later (but generally doesn't). So you'd expect a systematically different pattern in Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 surveillance.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well then, it turns out that the U.K. positive test data may be what we would call “bollocksed up”

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol. British school children have discovered dipping their covid tests in fizzy drinks gives a positive result so they get a week off school.

Mega Comrade posted:

I scoffed at this but thought I'd give it a go. And gently caress me it works.

It's faint, but that's a positive result

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hahahaha. Amazing. Though thankfully I'm not sure that impacts many of the datastreams that I've personally been working with (they all required genotyping).

I wonder how widespread this is... And again, it'll only be effecting Pillar 2 testing, so Pillar 1 can act as a control.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kragger99 posted:

I'm glad some of you feel safe, and have done what you can to protect yourselves. Just remember many children haven't been/aren't able to get vaxxed, and some of them never will because their parents don't think this pandemic is a real threat. There's also a % of the population that just can't get the vax for other reasons. If you're fine with contributing to the quite rare, but still possible chance of passing it on to them, go about your life in bliss.
Personally I care about other people (even the selfish people that only care about themselves), and know that not everyone educates themselves with facts/data. Many people are shaped by a non-supportive upbringing/environment, and can't change that.
I want to be able to look back a few years from now and be proud of the decisions I made, good or bad.

My conscience is 100% clear. I took the proper precautions, socially distanced, wore masks 100% of the time everywhere, and immediately signed up to get my shot as soon as it was available.

I don't spend time with kids and I don't spend time with immuno-compromised folks as far as I'm aware. I'm happy to be living a more normal life again.

And, the backhanded scold-tone of your post is kind of lovely.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How are u posted:

My conscience is 100% clear. I took the proper precautions, socially distanced, wore masks 100% of the time everywhere, and immediately signed up to get my shot as soon as it was available.

I don't spend time with kids and I don't spend time with immuno-compromised folks as far as I'm aware. I'm happy to be living a more normal life again.

Yeah you really shouldn’t need to explain yourself.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do in fact work with immunocompromised kiddies and am fully vaxxed, and have been going hog wild with not wearing a mask outdoors while on my bike and going masked up into supermarkets and McDonalds. I even! Have seen my fully vaccinated friends and family and no one wore a mask or anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I do in fact work with immunocompromised kiddies and am fully vaxxed, and have been going hog wild with not wearing a mask outdoors while on my bike and going masked up into supermarkets and McDonalds. I even! Have seen my fully vaccinated friends and family and no one wore a mask or anything.

You monster!!!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

How are u posted:

No, you have been tremendously owned and need to acknowledge that :colbert:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MarcusSA posted:

You monster!!!

I know!

I do still have to self isolate if I get pinged no matter what the gubberment says because our policy is stricter that theirs, although I have skilfully avoided that by avoiding Cheshire and Lancashire for the last 41 years.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I swear to god, some of you are going way beyond what everyone else does to protect themselves and others just so you can smugly say, "Well I wasn't part of the problem." You're weaponizing your actions as some part of war against the world.

It's a libertarian mindset to think that a handful of individual decisions are going to affect the whole of society. This is a social issue and if nobody is doing what's necessary, then your actions don't really matter much. It's like using your body to dam a river that's a mile wide while shouting into a megaphone, "I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING!"

I did everything that was necessary to protect myself and my family and I still ended up getting covid. My friends and large parts of my community did everything right and my city still ended up with super high covid numbers. We were a small blip of good actions in a sea of dipshits who didn't care. None of what we did mattered.

At the end of the day, you can only do what everyone else is doing to tamp this down. It's all dictated by the lowest common denominator. If your government isn't doing squat, then nothing will change. If your government asks you to isolate/shelter, then do it. Outside of that, you're trying to take on the role of the government/society and you'll fail. You'll feel like poo poo and your mental health will drop.

Go outside. Visit your friends and family. Take a breather. Stop reading this thread. Interact with live, meat-space beings. Do anything, but please, for the love of god, log the gently caress off.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I have the unfortunate privilege of having known antivaxers. Old-school antivaxers, before Trump, Facebook and everything. The funny thing was they didn't really doubt vaccines worked and probably wouldn't kill you. They just felt the risk was too great for their precious intelligent child and things would be fine because all the other sheep parents would vaccinate their stupid brats who aren't even fed organic veggies.

I feel bad for their kids for many reasons but antivaxxers richly deserve covid.

Spaghett posted:

I swear to god, some of you are going way beyond what everyone else does to protect themselves and others just so you can smugly say, "Well I wasn't part of the problem." You're weaponizing your actions as some part of war against the world.

It's a libertarian mindset to think that a handful of individual decisions are going to affect the whole of society. This is a social issue and if nobody is doing what's necessary, then your actions don't really matter much. It's like using your body to dam a river that's a mile wide while shouting into a megaphone, "I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING!"

I did everything that was necessary to protect myself and my family and I still ended up getting covid. My friends and large parts of my community did everything right and my city still ended up with super high covid numbers. We were a small blip of good actions in a sea of dipshits who didn't care. None of what we did mattered.

At the end of the day, you can only do what everyone else is doing to tamp this down. It's all dictated by the lowest common denominator. If your government isn't doing squat, then nothing will change. If your government asks you to isolate/shelter, then do it. Outside of that, you're trying to take on the role of the government/society and you'll fail. You'll feel like poo poo and your mental health will drop.

Go outside. Visit your friends and family. Take a breather. Stop reading this thread. Interact with live, meat-space beings. Do anything, but please, for the love of god, log the gently caress off.

:agreed:

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 25, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My son has Autism + LD and whoa boy have I met anti-vaxers and not the sign waving morons either, I get the respectable looking motherfuckers who sidle up and say the same sly thing each and every time; “are you sure it wasn’t the MMR?”

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

learnincurve posted:

My son has Autism + LD and whoa boy have I met anti-vaxers and not the sign waving morons either, I get the respectable looking motherfuckers who sidle up and say the same sly thing each and every time; “are you sure it wasn’t the MMR?”

I can't imagine how infuriating that must be.

My family was insane Christian Scientists on my mother's side and I grew up seeing people suffer and die due to religious beliefs, I saw it UP CLOSE.

I even caught Rubella at 20 somehow and was sick for months before I finally went to a hospital. I had no idea what was wrong. Turns out my mom religious exempted me from some grade school vaccination.

Anti vax deserve to die, the problem is they endanger others.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spaghett posted:

1. It's hot but I go outside when its dark to tend to my farm.

2. No.

3. *puffs inhaler?*

4. No.

5. gently caress no they're all maskless and 2/3rds of them refuse to be vaccinated.

6. In between posts I'm writing weird alien romance sex stuff so I mean, I am doing other things.

E: Locally there haven't been hardly any cases of covid being picked up because all testing is basically gone so I guess 31% vaccinated is good enough to applebees after all.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

6. In between posts I'm writing weird alien romance sex stuff so I mean, I am doing other things.

Spaghett posted:

log the gently caress off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It should be everyone's personal goal to not be in the top 10 posters of this thread.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just got my Covid test results. Negative. These headaches (which I still kinda have, but less bad) are just random.
Also, experienced just how testing is being done. Not bad, especially with just one nurse.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Are home lateral flow test kits just not a thing outside the UK then? I know they're problematic, but they've surely got to be better than maximum lockdown or just letting rip.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pekinduck posted:

I have the unfortunate privilege of having known antivaxers. Old-school antivaxers, before Trump, Facebook and everything. The funny thing was they didn't really doubt vaccines worked and probably wouldn't kill you. They just felt the risk was too great for their precious intelligent child and things would be fine because all the other sheep parents would vaccinate their stupid brats who aren't even fed organic veggies.

I got unfortunately up close with a few of them at the weekend - I was volunteering at the pop-up mass vaccination centre at the London Stadium (the 2012 Olympic stadium now converted into a theatre of pain for me and other West Ham fans but that's a rant for another forum).

Anyway while I was out helping with the (gratifyingly huge, and well-natured) queues, a bunch of them turned up. One is a relatively famous woman who walks around in scrubs with a megaphone bellowing about how mRNA gets into sperm, who fortunately always managed to be at the opposite end of the concourse from me as she was deafening me even from 100+ metres away.

Then there was the guy telling all of the volunteers that he was remembering all of our faces for an upcoming Nuremburg Trial. Given every single one of us was wearing identical t-shirts and face masks I didn't take that as much of a threat (something one of the crowd, who were mostly happy to ignore or argue with the idiots, pointed out - his response was "I have a *very good* memory").

A few of them were more directly hassling the volunteers, really getting in their faces - strangely only the single, smaller women, never anyone even close to their own size. Luckily LS security (who I have an unfortunate amount of experience with) were actually on the ball with that, even if all they could legally do was physically place themselves between the nutters and the volunteers.

The one I particularly remember was the guy who shouted at me - from the other side of a fence - that I was marching people into gas chambers, ironically because I've spent my time going up against fash and he definitely had that look about him. He'd notably chosen to find somewhere else to stand by the time I'd got to the gate, funny that.

Best bit I saw though - a random old lady (not one of the volunteers and very unlikely, demographically, to be there to be vaccinated) following an antivax leafletter with a big bin bag, telling people to take his leaflets to throw them away with her. Now *that's* direct action, lol.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Spaghett posted:

1. I'm really sorry you and your family got sick, that absolutely sucks.

2. I'm on holiday in a foreign country right now, so I feel like I can say I'm getting out a bit and not living in abject fear.

However, when people say that we can only do what everyone else is doing while highlighting the lowest common denominator, it's just dragging this poo poo out more. I personally can do better than the absolute minimum. It doesn't make somebody smart to do less to protect themself and their community than the dumbest most selfish person they can imagine. People take things really personally in this thread so I'm just responding to words and not actions because I don't even know what anyone has actually done here (and I don't care either because we're just posting ok?).

I will keep wearing a mask, even though I don't have to, because I remember how long it took for my government to admit there was a problem. The government is going to protect the economy, I've got to protect myself and the people I come in contact with. They'll say whatever if there aren't enough masks or there aren't enough people getting vaccinated. I will now visit friends and take holidays (including a transatlantic flight to see my family in August) but I will still wear a mask around people I don't know and avoid crowded enclosed spaces because I'm going to try not to make things worse. There is a middle ground between the characterizations in this thread and it would be cool if more middle-ground posters could describe their new normal without getting jumped on from both sides.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are home lateral flow test kits just not a thing outside the UK then? I know they're problematic, but they've surely got to be better than maximum lockdown or just letting rip.

We get 5 free per person per month in Switzerland but I'd rather exercise caution (I'm fortunate to be able to) rather than test before I go out. My wife didn't read the advice not to check after more than 30 minutes and freaked herself out which was kind of unpleasant.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

It should be everyone's personal goal to not be in the top 10 posters of this thread.

am I in the top 5 yet

WHO is asking people who are vaccinated to start masking again

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We have testing hubs here. Our numbers are small enough that every positive result is subject to genomic testing as well as intensive contact tracing.

I expect the (not unreasonable) concern is that just as there are currently people who don't bother getting tested if they have symptoms, there would be people who'd ignore a positive home test result because they didn't want to quarantine for 14 days.

I have my second AZ shot at the beginning of July. Parts of the city are currently in lockdown and we're on our way to Delta becoming dominant. I will continue to see my pod people in person, but I'm not in any hurry to expand my pod because there are too many people not taking this seriously and I have no intention of putting my immunocompromised self at risk by socialising with them.

I had a 20 minute conversation with my butcher the other day, for the first time in almost 18 months, and it made me realise how much I miss those little social social interactions which used to be a regular part of my week.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 25, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

I had a 20 minute conversation with my butcher the other day, for the first time in almost 18 months and it made me realise how much I miss those little social social interactions which used to be a regular part of my week.

In all seriousness while it was the jumping the queue for the vaccine desire to serve my community that made me start volunteering at vaccine centres, it's the little bits of banter with other volunteers, medics, and members of the public that make me keep going back. I've never even considered myself that sociable a person, but it's so nice just to have the occasional quick minute or two of chat that isn't with the same cast of neighbours and nearby shop staff that have dominated the last 18 months of my life.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Spinz posted:

I can't imagine how infuriating that must be.

My family was insane Christian Scientists on my mother's side and I grew up seeing people suffer and die due to religious beliefs, I saw it UP CLOSE.

I even caught Rubella at 20 somehow and was sick for months before I finally went to a hospital. I had no idea what was wrong. Turns out my mom religious exempted me from some grade school vaccination.

Anti vax deserve to die, the problem is they endanger others.

You should be more careful with the words you put out in the world, that endangers others more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

am I in the top 5 yet

WHO is asking people who are vaccinated to start masking again

Big drop off after 4th place, which should be considered a HIGH RISK zone.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I guess I am done with my v-safe check ins. They didn't text me yesterday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How TF am I that high??

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Lincolnstein posted:

You should be more careful with the words you put out in the world, that endangers others more.

Okay you're right that was a little harsh I apologize

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've made 29 (now 30) posts here :psyduck:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1408599066242658310?s=21

Well we had a good run.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I got unfortunately up close with a few of them at the weekend - I was volunteering at the pop-up mass vaccination centre at the London Stadium

Thank you for your service.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

How TF am I that high??

Weed is getting stronger yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

Weed is getting stronger yo.

As someone in a weed legal state this is no joke.