Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also a lot of them were killed by going "Hey Anakin, what's all the noise?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The clones were fighting to preserve the deeply broken and immensely corrupt republic, when they were born that's what it was.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

An army of brainwashed child slaves fighting to preserve a society where slavery was notionally illegal, versus an army of robots fighting for corporate interests.

And Lucas somehow managed to take that solid concept and make it utterly dull and lifeless.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Arc Light posted:

An army of brainwashed child slaves fighting to preserve a society where slavery was notionally illegal, versus an army of robots fighting for corporate interests.

And Lucas somehow managed to take that solid concept and make it utterly dull and lifeless.

But not before adding heaping helpings of weird, racist caricatures. The only narrative from the first three movies that makes any sense at all is the Auralnauts treatment.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cad Bane said M'Lady

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Started watching the mandelorian, on episode 4 right now. For some reason this entire episode looks like a video game cutscene, I’m not sure why the camera is so weird this time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I did like how the AT-ST just flat-out roars

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vinylshadow posted:

I did like how the AT-ST just flat-out roars

ED-209

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bismuth posted:

I did kinda like the mandos better when they were a mixed-species cult of closely nit adoptees and found family, rather than the aryan nation of mandalore. Im glad Mandalorian is back to foundlings but would still be cool to see some other species among them, fans have done a lot of neat drawings of what other species helmets/armor could look like.

Saved this images ages ago because I thought it was so cool to see a non-human Mandalorian.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The ability to lead an army doesn't necessarily translate into amazing combat skills. The heroes these stories follow just happen to be both. I just always assumed that the Jedi temple was overwhelmed, eventually. There may have been individual Masters that excelled, surviving longer than most... but quantity has a quality all of its own. Plus I imagine any particularly skilled masters fell to Anakin

Tbh its why I hated Yoda going all saber fu in the prequel trilogy. I liked the idea of a philosophical master, who showed no inclination to combat skills, but rather was a master of the Force itself, and its mysteries

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moreau posted:

The ability to lead an army doesn't necessarily translate into amazing combat skills. The heroes these stories follow just happen to be both. I just always assumed that the Jedi temple was overwhelmed, eventually. There may have been individual Masters that excelled, surviving longer than most... but quantity has a quality all of its own. Plus I imagine any particularly skilled masters fell to Anakin

Tbh its why I hated Yoda going all saber fu in the prequel trilogy. I liked the idea of a philosophical master, who showed no inclination to combat skills, but rather was a master of the Force itself, and its mysteries

I like that, “quantity has its own quality”.

As for Yoda it’s very clear, to me, that he is the philosophical Jedi master you say because all I saw was him literally channeling the force through his body to be all bouncy bouncy hippity hoppy teddy bear. :3: But I understand where you’re coming from.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I just started a rewatch of Rebels and thought I'd follow along with the SA threads for it, since I wasn't doing so at the time. Yikes, I'd forgotten just how toxic and hostile these parts of the forums could be 7 years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sheesh, rebels was 7 years ago now? crumbles into dust

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'll always be a little disappointed that the Yoda Emperor fight wasn't some sort of insane wizard battle instead of devolving to a sword fight

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"Great warrior *pfft* Wars not make one great... but fun they can be!" *hops from clone trooper to clone trooper sticking his light saber through each of their hearts in turn.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One of my favourite moments is Yoda deciding to be a dick and playing with Ventress, taking her lightsabers then giving them back and mocking her.

The immediately letting her escape (right past a Venator-class Star Destroyer) because even the Force hates a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcsrxcHZz6s&t=33s

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I'll always be a little disappointed that the Yoda Emperor fight wasn't some sort of insane wizard battle instead of devolving to a sword fight

Especially as a counterpoint to what Obi-Wan and Anakin are doing. I guess there was a little bit with Palpatine throwing the pods and then blasting Yoda with lighting, but even that was just a larger-scale retread of Yoda's fight with Dooku in Episode 2.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaLGgOw1OA

There's actually only a few clips of upcoming episodes.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Disney+ marked as "Clone Wars Essential Episodes"

S01E01 Ambush
S01E05 Rookies
S0205-S2E08 the Second Battle of Geonosis arc
S02E12 The Mandalore Plot
S02E13 Voyage of Temptation
S03E02 Arc Troopers
S04E21 Brothers, S04E22 Revenge
S05E06 The Gathering (the padawans finding lightsaber crystals)
S05E14-S05E16 the arc where Maul takes over Mandalore
S0517-S05E20 The Wrong Jedi arc
S07E01-S07E04 The Bad Batch arc

and as "Ahsoka Tano essential episodes"
S01E19 Storm Over Ryloth
S02E11 Lightsaber Lost
S03E22 Wookiee Hunt
S04E14 A Friend in Need
S05E20 finale episode of The Wrong Jedi arc
S07E07 Dangerous Debt
S07E9-S07E12 Clone Wars series finale
and then S01E15 and the relevant Season 2 episodes of Star Wars: Rebels

I wouldn't have otherwise bothered, but I was waiting on something to finish downloading anyway

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo the info reveal in this episodeB

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I dont think this is really a spoiler because I had this gripe during TCW too but I'll spoiler anyway since its come up again

Do the Kaminoans know you can like, freeze and preserve genetic material? Like, you dont have to have a living subject to take it from, you can just put it in storage for awhile. This show wants me to believe a universe with cloning tech to this level, where people can be healed and cyborged up from almost any injury, but they cant preserve genetic material? Why is this even a problem thats happened more than once? Also if shes such a perfect copy of Jango why is she blonde and a girl? The only explanation that makes sense is that shes trans, but I'm sure its considerably stupider than that.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

jassa posted:

I mean, the Kaminoans have several bounty hunters after Omega. It's feasible Bane could be intercepted by Boba, Ventress, Greedo, Fennec and others on his way to handing in Omega.

Oh hey, I kinda called it! Though I didn't guess they'd be employed by different Kaminoans. How great would it have been if Boba himself had taken either of the bounties though? Surely they have to meet at some point, given what we now know about Omega.

On that note, I guess this means Omega probably doesn't have any of the modifications the soldier clones have? She's just a pure clone of Jango (aside from the chromosomal change). Though I'm still not sure how she's the Kaminoan's contingency plan if the Empire has no plans to order more clones... hopefully that gets explained soon.

I'm not sure how to feel about Nala Se and her involvement. She has the blood of the Jedi Order on her hands, it's going to take more than her having a soft spot for Omega for me to start liking her character.

But yeah, really good episode!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Bismuth posted:

I dont think this is really a spoiler because I had this gripe during TCW too but I'll spoiler anyway since its come up again

Do the Kaminoans know you can like, freeze and preserve genetic material? Like, you dont have to have a living subject to take it from, you can just put it in storage for awhile. This show wants me to believe a universe with cloning tech to this level, where people can be healed and cyborged up from almost any injury, but they cant preserve genetic material? Why is this even a problem thats happened more than once? Also if shes such a perfect copy of Jango why is she blonde and a girl? The only explanation that makes sense is that shes trans, but I'm sure its considerably stupider than that.

You know children often have different hair colour to either of their parents, right? Recessive genes, etc. As for her biological sex, that's probably simple enough for the Kaminoans to implement during the clone equivalent of conception - just get rid of that pesky Y chromosome and duplicate the X chromosome.

As for why they kept her alive that long, presumably you can extract more viable genetic material from a fully grown person. It does beg the question of why they don't have more 'generation zero' clones on standby for this purpose though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bismuth posted:

The show also wants you to believe in a magical energy field called the force. Is it so difficult to accept that cloning just works this way in the Star Wars universe?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

jassa posted:

You know children often have different hair colour to either of their parents, right? Recessive genes, etc. As for her biological sex, that's probably simple enough for the Kaminoans to implement during the clone equivalent of conception - just get rid of that pesky Y chromosome and duplicate the X chromosome.

As for why they kept her alive that long, presumably you can extract more viable genetic material from a fully grown person. It does beg the question of why they don't have more 'generation zero' clones on standby for this purpose though.

You know a clone isnt a child of two people right? Its a copy of another being, and they made a big deal out of Omega being a super accurate PURE copy of Jango. Recessive genes that Jango doesnt have shouldnt show up in that situation, she should be a copy of Jango. Also the X chromosome is a big complex chromosome with a lot of info on it, duplicating it would have a huge effect on her genetics that again, would make her not what they said she is. She cant be a special un-altered copy of Jango and be heavily genetically altered. She has to be one or the other.

My issue isnt that the Kaminoans couldnt create her, I have no doubt of that, its that theres no way for her to be what they say she is while also being what we see on screen.

Alchenar posted:

The show also wants you to believe in a magical energy field called the force. Is it so difficult to accept that cloning just works this way in the Star Wars universe?

I mean, yeah, but the force has...ok nvm. I was going to say the force has rules established but it really doesnt anymore, they went full harry potter during the end of Rebels so god only knows at this point.

I still think its a little different with cloning though. Star Wars made the force up, so they can do whatever they want, but cloning is a thing that exists in real life, and has existed in fiction for ages, it has "rules" in fiction to the point that if you say a character is a "clone" of another character you really dont have to establish any backstory to the universe to know what that means. Not only that but Star Wars has pretty much followed the public perception of clone rules up to this point so it feels really out of left field.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Bismuth posted:

You know a clone isnt a child of two people right? Its a copy of another being, and they made a big deal out of Omega being a super accurate PURE copy of Jango. Recessive genes that Jango doesnt have shouldnt show up in that situation, she should be a copy of Jango. Also the X chromosome is a big complex chromosome with a lot of info on it, duplicating it would have a huge effect on her genetics that again, would make her not what they said she is. She cant be a special un-altered copy of Jango and be heavily genetically altered. She has to be one or the other.

My issue isnt that the Kaminoans couldnt create her, I have no doubt of that, its that theres no way for her to be what they say she is while also being what we see on screen.

A couple of things:
- The only info we got on Omega's genetics came from Tech. The Kaminoans haven't said anything new about what she is, aside from being valuable for her genetic material (and disposable after that's harvested).
- Rewatching the scene in question, "pure" refers to Omega being a direct clone of Jango without the addition of extensive artificial genetic alterations the soldier clones had. Perhaps there's a better term for it, like 'bio-natural' or 'familial' or something. idk. Point is, her genetic material is a lot purer than any other clone's (aside from Boba).
- Yes, if you remove the Y chromosome, other things would turn out different as well - like hair colour for example!

Edit: I feel silly for not mentioning this earlier, but while we're nitpicking, Omega could be a natural intersex variation too. Though I doubt that's the case, since Disney can barely admit gay folks exist let alone acknowledge the biological sex of humans isn't always binary.

jassa fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 25, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Star Wars cloning uses Metal Gear Solid logic, I guess. Omega is Liquid Fett.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Robot Style posted:

Les Jango Terribles.

It tracks. The clone army is the genome soldiers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Somehow, Nien Numb survived

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Man, Cad Bane is so cool.

Fennec owns too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, that was a great episode. Just cool poo poo all around, even though it didn't feature the Dad Batch that much.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
God I love the big abandoned floating cities of Star Wars. And the abandoned asteroid bases. And the abandoned temple refuges. And the entire worlds covered in derelict starships.

It's all so big and old and used.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that was a great episode. Just cool poo poo all around, even though it didn't feature the Dad Batch that much.

We need a few episodes where Omega gets to display her innate Fett disposition to independence and aggression. I still say that her high emotional intelligence is her ‘super power’, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When the Clone fell on Fennec all i could of was Brock going "they're like big stretch armstrongs

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

God I love the big abandoned floating cities of Star Wars. And the abandoned asteroid bases. And the abandoned temple refuges. And the entire worlds covered in derelict starships.

It's all so big and old and used.

This one in particular has an interesting connection to Star Wars history. In early drafts of The Empire Strikes Back, Bespin was home to a race of tall white-skinned aliens that ride flying manta rays - an idea that was eventually reused for the Kaminoans. In the same drafts, Lando was also a clone and a refugee from the Clone Wars who was hiding out on Cloud City. So putting an abandoned Kaminoan cloning facility on a floating station is a pretty neat callback to the early ideas that led to the Bad Batch series being able to exist in the first place.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Robot Style posted:

She even has her own FOXHOUND

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was disappointed that we didn't get Todo vs Gonk :unsmigghh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So Omega is basically Boba Fett’s little sister then? That’s sort of neat, hope she makes it through this series and the two wind up meeting one day

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
With Fennec's connection to Boba later in her life, I wonder whether we'll eventually see a live action Omega in Book of Boba? That could be fun. Especially if she keeps commenting on how much adult Boba reminds her of her #1 Dad- I mean, Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

jassa posted:

With Fennec's connection to Boba later in her life, I wonder whether we'll eventually see a live action Omega in Book of Boba? That could be fun. Especially if she keeps commenting on how much adult Boba reminds her of her #1 Dad- I mean, Hunter.

Seems pretty likely.