Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty incredible this guy got this done in less than a day:

https://twitter.com/munyachawawa/status/1408453493053067268

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trickjaw posted:

real life J Jonah Jameson
No more excuses! Get me pictures of Ash Sarkar's feet or I'll get some new editors!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Julio Cruz posted:

I think he's just jumping at the chance to go back to Majorca

Anytime he jumps, I'll give a shove. Haemorrhage on humanity

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

No more excuses! Get me pictures of Pamela Bordes' feet or I'll get some new editors!

Ftfy

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

they didn't even do that

No, you're right.

e: triple post, you people need to stop me when I'm bored

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Not sure why any of the Clever Adults think Hancock having an affair will have even the slightest traction. Most people don't give a poo poo about the private lives of politicians any more (justifiably, IMO - I mean if they're being hypocritical that's maybe something, but generally if everyone involved is consenting, who gives a poo poo?).

Even so, the fact that Johnson was literally having an affair (technically two, because he was still married to Marina Wheeler when he was shagging Carrie Symonds and Jennifer Arcuri) *as he moved into Number 10* makes it pretty unlikely that Hancock is going to face much in the way of pressure over this. And even if May and her puritan instincts were still in charge and he did get the hook for this I'd be extremely pissed off because he and all his mates have been troughing it up at our expense while letting 150k+ people die which - to me at least - seems like the far bigger sin than a quick shag in the office. Interesting to see Labour even *attempting* to make hay from it though when they so pointedly avoided the Arcuri thing - I assumed they were keeping quiet there because the Starmer/Chapman thing is apparently so well-known in Westminster circles that even loving journalists have heard about it, and they realised what would happen if they tried it.

I think it's yet another Blair tribute act - they think we're still in 92-97 and if they just keep saying the word "sleaze" magically voters will like them again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

Pretty incredible this guy got this done in less than a day:

https://twitter.com/munyachawawa/status/1408453493053067268

:argh: Just came here to post this.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Get me pictures of Spiderman!

You're fired!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Some of my more FBPE inclined friends are posting about how it would be great if the guardian bought channel 4...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I think he's just jumping at the chance to go back to Majorca
That's not the island he longs for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Some of my more FBPE inclined friends are posting about how it would be great if the guardian bought channel 4...
Today's lineup:
Escape to the Chateau: DIY
Posh Pawn
Steph's Packed Lunch
Countdown
A Place in the Sun
A New Life in the Sun: Where Are They Now?
Couples Come Dine with Me

Are we sure that they didn't?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Today's lineup:
Escape to the Chateau: DIY
Posh Pawn
Steph's Packed Lunch
Countdown
A Place in the Sun
A New Life in the Sun: Where Are They Now?
Couples Come Dine with Me

Are we sure that they didn't?

In true spirit of FBPE, they want it because nothing would really change.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not sure why any of the Clever Adults think Hancock having an affair will have even the slightest traction. Most people don't give a poo poo about the private lives of politicians any more (justifiably, IMO - I mean if they're being hypocritical that's maybe something, but generally if everyone involved is consenting, who gives a poo poo?).

Even so, the fact that Johnson was literally having an affair (technically two, because he was still married to Marina Wheeler when he was shagging Carrie Symonds and Jennifer Arcuri) *as he moved into Number 10* makes it pretty unlikely that Hancock is going to face much in the way of pressure over this. And even if May and her puritan instincts were still in charge and he did get the hook for this I'd be extremely pissed off because he and all his mates have been troughing it up at our expense while letting 150k+ people die which - to me at least - seems like the far bigger sin than a quick shag in the office. Interesting to see Labour even *attempting* to make hay from it though when they so pointedly avoided the Arcuri thing - I assumed they were keeping quiet there because the Starmer/Chapman thing is apparently so well-known in Westminster circles that even loving journalists have heard about it, and they realised what would happen if they tried it.

I think it's yet another Blair tribute act - they think we're still in 92-97 and if they just keep saying the word "sleaze" magically voters will like them again.

Isn't the definition of an affair that there is at least one non-consenting party? Otherwise its an open relationship

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

jiggerypokery posted:

Isn't the definition of an affair that there is at least one non-consenting party? Otherwise its an open relationship

So an affair is rape then? Huh. :magemage:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So an affair is rape then? Huh. :magemage:

C'mon now, you know what he meant.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CommieGIR posted:

C'mon now, you know what he meant.

They probably also knew what was meant by "consenting" in the post they quoted. I suppose that they could think that consent does not come from the person one is going to have sexual activities with but instead from a third party but I think that's pretty problematic for a rather large number of reasons.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

My point is just that unless Mrs Hancock is totally into it, it kind of is the business of the public if he is willing to do that to her. Like, no one cares, but there is public value in publishing Johnson's affairs. It's entirely in character for a self serving liar.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

jiggerypokery posted:

My point is just that unless Mrs Hancock is totally into it, it kind of is the business of the public if he is willing to do that to her. Like, no one cares, but there is public value in publishing Johnson's affairs. It's entirely in character for a self serving liar.

Then you should be clear about what you are talking about. The term "consent" is usually used to refer to whether or not the person or persons involved consented to some type of sexual activity with regards to themselves. Here, let me make the point I think you were trying to make using language that is not misleading:

"It's still in the public's interest to know about a public figure being involved in an affair, an affair is a breach of trust and if they are willing to betray the trust of their SO they may very well be willing to betray the trust of the public in the execution of their job."

See? Not difficult.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Then you should be clear about what you are talking about. The term "consent" is usually used to refer to whether or not the person or persons involved consented to some type of sexual activity with regards to themselves. Here, let me make the point I think you were trying to make using language that is not misleading:

"It's still in the public's interest to know about a public figure being involved in an affair, an affair is a breach of trust and if they are willing to betray the trust of their SO they may very well be willing to betray the trust of the public in the execution of their job."

See? Not difficult.
Consent is used in all sorts of contexts, nerd

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

See? Not difficult.

No, because consent can be used for more than sexual things. You can consent to search, you can consent to legal things, you can consent to share data.

Its not strictly sexual, and stop trying to wordsmith this. His point was, unless his spouse knew and consented to him having another relationship, ergo an open relationship, then he's cheating.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's amazing that they're apologising for breaking social distancing but not the affair or naked corruption.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No, because consent can be used for more than sexual things. You can consent to search, you can consent to legal things, you can consent to share data.

Its not strictly sexual, and stop trying to wordsmith this. His point was, unless his spouse knew and consented to him having another relationship, ergo an open relationship, then he's cheating.

You cannot consent to your partner having a sexual relationship with someone else, consent is entirely in the hands of the two persons having the sexual relationship with each other, no one else. Period.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You cannot consent to your partner having a sexual relationship with someone else, consent is entirely in the hands of the two persons having the sexual relationship with each other, no one else. Period.

Its called an Open Relationship, and yes you can consent to your partner having a sexual relationship with someone else. If you are in a good Open Relationship or Polycule, you discuss this with your partner(s). Or if you want to be strictly sexual, a Cuckold Fetish which is very much a consensual action in consenting to your partner having a relation with someone that is not you for your pleasure.

Enough. Drop it. I do not consent to your definition of consent.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 25, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I’m not totally convinced you know what the word consent means

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Is there someone you forgot to ask?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Has anybody really "won" a war against irregulars in recent history?

I heard the Tamil tigers were defeated comprehensively, not sure of the details though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

English degree, year 1, semester 1:

All meaning is arbitrary you dickbags, now here's too much Jane Austen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jaete posted:

I heard the Tamil tigers were defeated comprehensively, not sure of the details though

How Russia handled the Chechens also probably counts.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Video of Hancock’s groping incoming shortly according to my sources

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You can get microscope lenses smaller than a 5p coin that you can put on your phone camera too, but you need backlighting.

How to say you're on Grindr without saying it

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I am going to clarify my position here, I was told to drop it so I'll eat the probation or whatever.

I only got out of my abusive relationship by "cheating" on my partner, and only via the help, love and support of my new partner. I got little to no sympathy from anyone other than my new partner and my mother, I had many of my relationships including my work life destroyed because I "cheated" to escape the abuse. The expectation of monogamy was used as a weapon, both to keep me in an abusive relationship and to punish me for leaving the relationship.

This is what set me off, sorry for being a vile cheater.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

How to say you're on Grindr without saying it

:balldo:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I am going to clarify my position here, I was told to drop it so I'll eat the probation or whatever.

I only got out of my abusive relationship by "cheating" on my partner, and only via the help, love and support of my new partner. I got little to no sympathy from anyone other than my new partner and my mother, I had many of my relationships including my work life destroyed because I "cheated" to escape the abuse. The expectation of monogamy was used as a weapon, both to keep me in an abusive relationship and to punish me for leaving the relationship.

That sounds rough, I'm sorry and I hope things get/are better for you now. We can take this to e/n if you want to talk about it more.

E: grammar + removed more consent talk

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 25, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm going to repeat what I said in the PMs:

An abusive relationship is not one where consent is possible between you and your partner. You were right to cheat and leave to save yourself.
But you are also reading WAY WAY more into this. I'm so sorry you were abused, and you were right to leave, you cannot consent or trust your partner to consent to anything in an abusive relationship.
But that's not really what was being discussed. And yes, you did cheat, you did not have your partner's consent in having a relationship with another person. But you would never have it. Because that's what abuse does.

Any more, please take this to E/N to discuss it with people and get support.

IK Hat back on: Let's move on.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 25, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Its called an Open Relationship, and yes you can consent to your partner having a sexual relationship with someone else. If you are in a good Open Relationship or Polycule, you discuss this with your partner(s). Or if you want to be strictly sexual, a Cuckold Fetish which is very much a consensual action in consenting to your partner having a relation with someone that is not you for your pleasure.

Enough. Drop it. I do not consent to your definition of consent.

This is an *incredibly* weird reading of the word "consent" in the context in which I used it.

If you can't see there's a very, very big difference between a sexual relationship where one of the *participants* does not consent and one where a non-participant does not consent then you either have an extremely strange, bordering on Victorian, view of sex, or are being deliberately obtuse either for a joke (which is what I charitably read jiggerypokery's response to my post as) or for internet point-scoring.

Yes, the English language is extremely odd, but this means that context is extremely important. If someone talks about a non-consensual sexual act they generally don't mean "I never told the missus about it" (or "Big man in sky not like"); while of course knowledge and consent are important when you're dealing with a relationship, deliberately conflating this with the concept of consent between the participants of an act puts you alongside weirdo tradcaths who think that their wife having an affair is morally equivalent to... well I'll leave you to fill in that particular blank.

Perhaps we *do* need a better word, or words, to describe the very different concepts of "I consent to my body being used in this way" to "I am happy for my partner to do these things and support them in it" but unless and until we have that I think it behooves us all to be much more careful in how we read such things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's OK to belt people in the gob for your own safety even if belting people isn't generally a good thing. Same logic applies generally IMO.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is an *incredibly* weird reading of the word "consent" in the context in which I used it.

If you can't see there's a very, very big difference between a sexual relationship where one of the *participants* does not consent and one where a non-participant does not consent then you either have an extremely strange, bordering on Victorian, view of sex, or are being deliberately obtuse either for a joke (which is what I charitably read jiggerypokery's response to my post as) or for internet point-scoring.

Yes, the English language is extremely odd, but this means that context is extremely important. If someone talks about a non-consensual sexual act they generally don't mean "I never told the missus about it" (or "Big man in sky not like"); while of course knowledge and consent are important when you're dealing with a relationship, deliberately conflating this with the concept of consent between the participants of an act puts you alongside weirdo tradcaths who think that their wife having an affair is morally equivalent to... well I'll leave you to fill in that particular blank.

Perhaps we *do* need a better word, or words, to describe the very different concepts of "I consent to my body being used in this way" to "I am happy for my partner to do these things and support them in it" but unless and until we have that I think it behooves us all to be much more careful in how we read such things.

This is a good post, but let's make this the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Shall we talk about the burgeoning professional journo sub-carreer of empty-quoting Cummings substack instead? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/25/pm-said-test-and-trace-would-be-like-whistling-in-the-dark-says-cummings