Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

drat. I always thought it was such a big miss not having any Sabalom Glitz audios. With how far reaching BF is with getting side characters back, I can only assume he wasn't interested.

He wasn't interested -- there's an arc with Mel that seems designed around his character appearing, but they brought in two different replacement characters instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doesn't it usually go:

Master: I'm Mr. Amster.
Doctor: No you're not. You're the Master.
Master: No no, I assure you, I'm Mr. Amster.
Doctor: No. You're not. You're the Master.
Master: Don't be silly, my friend, I am clearly Mr. Amster.
Doctor: No. you're. not. You. are . the. Master.
Master: Mr. Amster!
Doctor: Look, I don't have time for this.... "Amster".
Master: You fool! I was actually the Master all along! :lol::laugh::laffo:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Def in Timeflight. Less so in Castrovalva

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That last panel is screaming to be a new avatar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tony Selby the actor hasn’t died, it’s a manager of the same name who worked at BBC Pebble Mill.

https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/1408365204682022915

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Typical Glitz con, faking his own death :mmmsmug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe this brush with mortality will convince him to do Big Finish audios.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Nick Briggs: That was a warning false alarm, next time we won't miss :toughguy:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

That last panel is screaming to be a new avatar.

Now in handy .png for all your custom background needs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

drat. I always thought it was such a big miss not having any Sabalom Glitz audios. With how far reaching BF is with getting side characters back, I can only assume he wasn't interested.

Sabalom Glitz is a good character and I was hoping that we'd have some throwbacks to him in some way somewhere someday

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

:agreed:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Beevers and McCoy are great but the backstory/retcon bullshit is ridiculous. Another example of Lidster putting in a pointless bit of grim misery that goes nowhere and accomplishes and changes nothing for no reason :argh:

Insert my usual caveat here that I am aware Joseph Lidster is apparently a lovely and very nice person who has done very good non-Who related writing in the past.

Yeah the nature/nurture debate is really well done, the gothic atmosphere is so thick that you could cut it with a knife, and its a great example of 7 towards the end of his incarnation and how he's gone to some dark places really works. That bit about how 7 doesn't play the spoons anymore is a great character bit. But that retcon is silly - I'm guessing Time Lords don't get regeneration cycles as children though.

The whole thing really plays up an aspect of the Doctor/Master relationship that I like: they're still friends despite it all. The Master doesn't really want to kill the Doctor, because he needs him, and the Doctor would like the Master to act like the man he remembers him being. Of course, the 12/Missy stuff leaned heavily into it and that was great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The rumour mill has started.

https://twitter.com/metrouk/status/1409074051281211392

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry, no, I'm not ready for the Doctor actors to be younger than me. I know that time comes for us all, but the moment has not been prepared for

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's casting speculation so who knows (eh, WHO nose :haw:), but more importantly than that when they say there will be two specials in 2022 please God tell me that's not it and there will actually be a NEW series of the show in 2022 and we don't have to wait ANOTHER year+ for more than 1 or 2 episodes. :cripes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Sorry, no, I'm not ready for the Doctor actors to be younger than me. I know that time comes for us all, but the moment has not been prepared for

I remember when they announced Matt Smith and I was ITT bitching about younger Doctors and that they'll never cast an older actor again. And I was never happy to be so wrong, because Matt Smith was one of the best Doctors and then we got Capaldi.

I've learned to reserve judgement til I see them in the role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh boy I sure can't wait for all the "finally a ginger?" jokes every episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just want Chibnall gone. He has committed high crimes and misdemeanors by utterly wasting Whittaker.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Since it won't be the worst retcon, I'm hoping that instead of moving forwards to 14, we move backward to the 12th doctor again because this-that-something reason (which can't possibly be worse than the timeless child).

Missy comes back too.

Edit: As does the writing...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if there is going to be a recast (and series 13 ever actually gets filmed FFS), the new Doctor should not be another white guy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe we've already met the 14th Doctor? A touch of amnesia goes a long way to clearing up any issues.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

As speculated earlier in the thread, Lisa Greenwood has confirmed that she has long COVID and has been very ill, which sounds awful.

Just listened to The One Doctor, which I very much enjoyed. Christopher Biggins was a lot of fun, Mel is better when used for comedic stories, and there's some great gags in it: the bit about the impossible to assemble flatpack shelves of infinity was rather good!

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 27, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Welp, just submitted a story to Big Finish's Short Trips competition. Will anything come of it? Who knows. But it's an idea I've had percolating in my head for years, so at least I've finally done something with it now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good luck, if it gives you confidence, I haven't read your story but it is better than The Timeless Children!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Payndz posted:

Welp, just submitted a story to Big Finish's Short Trips competition. Will anything come of it? Who knows. But it's an idea I've had percolating in my head for years, so at least I've finally done something with it now.

I still need to work out the ending to mine. Wednesday is going to be hectic.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I still need to work out the ending to mine. Wednesday is going to be hectic.

It turns out the antagonist was actually Mephisto all along.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, I am touching on magic very lightly.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I mean, I am touching on magic very lightly.

Definitely Meptisto and definitely going to be introduction of the X-Men I'll be blogging about this later.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

J33uk posted:

Definitely Meptisto and definitely going to be introduction of the X-Men I'll be blogging about this later.

It’s quite the score for Big Finish, I’ll admit.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I had a go as well - I found the synopsis harder to write than the 500 word sample!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Writing a synopsis for a short story is hard. You either go too short or too long.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Journalistic experience of writing to exact word counts finally pays off! :toot:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I submitted mine. It was a good writing experience to be able to put something together on relatively short notice, whatever the result is.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Trying to write someone else's characters was interesting. I tried a 7/Ace story, aiming for their straight after Survival characterizations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I went for Three/Jo, partly because my story idea fitted the Pertwee era's recurring theme of humanity starting to colonise the galaxy, but also because I fairly recently finished a rewatch of his entire run and I could 'hear' Three's voice and mannerisms in my head really easily.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

I just want Chibnall gone. He has committed high crimes and misdemeanors by utterly wasting Whittaker.
Agreed.

I don't care who plays the doctor. If he's showrunning, it'll suck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of Pertwee, rewatching The Claws of Axos and it cracks me up every time he pokes a hole in the Axons story and the Head Axon just gives him a brief "....this motherfucker...." look before continuing with his con.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm re-listening to Davros after not hearing this one for years and years. Terry Molloy has some great monologues in it, and separating Davros from the Daleks is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Right, finally worked out the crux of my story this morning, and now I’ve knocked out the synopsis and sample this afternoon/evening. Forgot I can write at speed when I want to. Having dinner and then going over it again before I send off in a bit.