Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

You can change the name but the lingering stench never goes away :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Binpoo

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

You can change the name but the lingering stench never goes away :)

It's not that you called me Ninpo, you're putting me in an argument with Bovvy that I wasn't having

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

It's not that you called me Ninpo, you're putting me in an argument with Bovvy that I wasn't having

Oh I just meant that you two were both in the discussion about Kane, not arguing with each other.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

the sex ghost posted:

on the Leeds transfer front there's been nothing because bielsas been spending the summer introducing murderball to every under 8s team in Leeds. Very heartwarming but I need salacious and unverified transfer gossip so sort it out Marcelo!!

Where do you think Leeds need to buy given the relative success of last season? Maybe a better CB and mostly keeping hold of talented younger attacking players like Bamford or Rodrigo? I'd guess some depth would be useful given the intensity of Bielsaball but also he never rotates so maybe that's pointless.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sticksy posted:

Where do you think Leeds need to buy given the relative success of last season? Maybe a better CB and mostly keeping hold of talented younger attacking players like Bamford or Rodrigo? I'd guess some depth would be useful given the intensity of Bielsaball but also he never rotates so maybe that's pointless.

I think they have to build on the squad if they want to be in trophy contention. Everything I've read about Leeds' ownership makes it look like they won't be satisfied with just being in the top flight.

Also, Leeds got a bit lucky with injuries and Bielsa has burned squads out before, so survival cannot be taken for granted.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah just keeping hold of the first 11 unless a big offer comes in and maybe another striker since I'm not sold on Rodrigo and I'm a typical bad fan who just wants new shiny strikers at all times.

Like you said bielsa doesn't rotate so massive squad depth isn't really a thing. I don't really think it was being lucky with injuries since we had a couple of those early on and the replacements played well so I'm happy with the second team as well. A sexy new string puller in midfield to replace st Pablo would be nice now that I'm putting together my shopping list

If they could finally find someone to take Casilla and nothing else id consider it to be a successful window

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also just waiting for the confirmation that haalands coming home to Yorkshire obviously

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sticksy posted:

Bamford is the same age as Kane op

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ornstein saying Ben White to Arsenal for £50m is definitely a thing now. Good to see covid stifled football transfer fees.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Why though. Holding, Gabriel, Mari, Saliba, Chambers in a pinch, that's fine. Guess Saliba is being written off? Spend the money somewhere else on the pitch :negative:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sourdough posted:

Why though. Holding, Gabriel, Mari, Saliba, Chambers in a pinch, that's fine. Guess Saliba is being written off? Spend the money somewhere else on the pitch :negative:
I saw something saying Saliba was likely to go out on loan again. By all accounts he did well in ligue 1 last year, but it seems as though Arteta just doesn’t rate him.

Arsenal have supposedly taken out a big loan to fund their transfers this summer so it seems like they may be betting the future of the club on this window.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

sticksy posted:

Don't need a CB we have Koch, Llorente, Struijk and Cooper
Need a LB and a midfielder who can compete with Klich

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Ornstein saying Ben White to Arsenal for £50m is definitely a thing now. Good to see covid stifled football transfer fees.

£50m for Ben White... Right, ok.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Why would you take out a loan for some guy who's going to get sacked in November to "build a squad" by buying 3 players tops?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

greazeball posted:

Why would you take out a loan for some guy who's going to get sacked in November to "build a squad" by buying 3 players tops?

Because the Kroenkes manage their sports teams poorly.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

African AIDS cum posted:

Don't need a CB we have Koch, Llorente, Struijk and Cooper
Need a LB and a midfielder who can compete with Klich

Koch seems like a mistake waiting to happen every time I've seen him play

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

Koch seems like a mistake waiting to happen every time I've seen him play

A...Koch up one might say.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Dennis to Watford is a done deal

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/1407768165145251846

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1408320554734600200

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
According to Ornstein, City are supposedly going to make a bid for Grealish, too.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

According to Ornstein, City are supposedly going to make a bid for Grealish, too.

That's loving terrifying tbh. I'm not bothered about Kane - Pep doesn't use strikers so he'd be the most expensive benchwarmer in history. Grealish, however, would be obnoxiously good in that team.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the lesser seen tracking the owner of the club actually being in the city meaning there must be some news happening

https://twitter.com/ClennellPeter/status/1408485433038749696?s=20

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

TheRat posted:

That's loving terrifying tbh. I'm not bothered about Kane - Pep doesn't use strikers so he'd be the most expensive benchwarmer in history. Grealish, however, would be obnoxiously good in that team.

just lol at the idea that Grealish belongs in a high-pressing, pace-filled squad

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reprisal posted:

just lol at the idea that Grealish belongs in a high-pressing, pace-filled squad

He's the very definition of a luxury player.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
What signing could city make that wouldn't be a luxury player for them though

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sourdough posted:

What signing could city make that wouldn't be a luxury player for them though

Halaand? He'd basically solve any remaining "issues" that City have that aren't Guardiola-induced or injury-related.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Halaand? He'd basically solve any remaining "issues" that City have that aren't Guardiola-induced or injury-related.

I'm not sure Haaland fits the 4-6-0 very well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I guess I don't watch city enough to know whether a proper center forward would really meaningfully improve them and was going to say the table doesn't say they had much trouble without one this season, but 86 points isn't actually a lot for a title recently is it?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

If Villa don't improve a good amount next season (i.e. finish in a European spot) then Grealish will be off but he's not going anywhere this summer.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Vila is about his level anyway

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sourdough posted:

I guess I don't watch city enough to know whether a proper center forward would really meaningfully improve them and was going to say the table doesn't say they had much trouble without one this season, but 86 points isn't actually a lot for a title recently is it?

You can only beat the other teams who are competing with you, but I don't think City this last season were anywhere as good as they were back in 2017-2018, 2018-2019 or even 2019-2020. I could throw out a bunch of reasons why Liverpool fell apart but even if Liverpool don't improve, City will still need to get better If Man-U and Chelsea improve like I expect they will. I think even small margin improvements would add up over the course of a league season.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Who cares about number of points for the title, in a pandemic season City weathered the various problems the best and won with matches to spare.

City have ridiculous depth with something stupid like two 50m+ players for each outfield position which gives a lot of insight into why they won the league and got to two finals. Even if we get our apparent targets of Sancho and Varane we'll be a good way off that sort of depth, there isn't going to be a title challenge next season.

Chelsea are probably the ones to watch on that front depending on recruitment but I've a feeling it'll be another race to see who finishes behind City. Barring a Pep meltdown of course or someone getting really lucky with injuries.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Vila is about his level anyway

:hmmyes:

26 year old who has had one and a half good seasons in the Premier League. Surely he's worth £100m

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i hope liverpool buy a center forward like alexander isak or something. dont want to be guaranteed of another season where firmino refuses to score 90% of the time

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Phwoar grealish foden and kane just imagine what would happen if those three got on the pitch at the same time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Phwoar grealish foden and kane just imagine what would happen if those three got on the pitch at the same time

I've been watching the Euros mate

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Liverpool only won a title at all because They got a break to rest their doped up squad and city had a bunch of hurt CBs. This year they couldn’t and they had all the hurt CBs so they were poo poo and barely got 4th, which is more their level.

FSG is gonna sell off Virg like his name was Mookie

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds are apparently closing in on a deal to sign junior firpo, who I know nothing about but just saying aloud 'leeds united are signing a left back from barcelona, beating interest from AC milan' makes me do a small lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Leeds are apparently closing in on a deal to sign junior firpo, who I know nothing about but just saying aloud 'leeds united are signing a left back from barcelona, beating interest from AC milan' makes me do a small lol

Truly incredible Leeds are apparently the most competently run team of the 3