Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

everyone getting hype for Windows 11???

GAMERZ are currently having a run on TPM modules, stocks have evaporated in my area.
Other than that most of the “new” stuff is a over glorified skin and most of that you could have done with stardock software(and bluestacks). The android apps in windows store being revolutionary in most blogs/YouTube hides the fact that those are Amazon android apps, devoid of google runtimes, so all your google play store android purchases won’t work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why is there a run on TPM modules? Did crypto people figure out how to use its hashing function to mine buttcoin?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

That doesn’t violate like a dozen ethics rules at your job?

We have an exhaustive list of what’s ok and not, and I think I can accept a branded pen. Maybe. Definitely nothing like that.

Lol good timing, palo alto just invited me to go drive race cars at race park in NJ. Sorry you work for companies who don't take bribes!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

Lol good timing, palo alto just invited me to go drive race cars at race park in NJ. Sorry you work for companies who don't take bribes!

Seriously though, there are no company rules against this stuff? Most major corps have rules about this sort of stuff.

A couple companies ago though, we were HQ'd out of Atlanta, and IT upper management would get events like driving Porches at the racetrack, and Masters/Golf event tickets from our NetApp VAR, who of course we spent several Million dollars a year with. Totally all above board I'm sure....

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Why is there a run on TPM modules? Did crypto people figure out how to use its hashing function to mine buttcoin?

Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0!

Also, everyone, just enable Intel PTT in your BIOS or whatever AMD's equivalent is. Boom, TPM 2.0.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
New helpdesk tech jinxed me.

I'm trying to set up authentication to our ERP through some Okta Auth (AaaS lol) product for SSO, and the helpdesk tech asked me "but what if Azure goes down?"
and well sure enough...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CLAM DOWN posted:

Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0!

Also, everyone, just enable Intel PTT in your BIOS or whatever AMD's equivalent is. Boom, TPM 2.0.

Baseline is 1.2 but recommended is 2.0. Unsurprisingly most makers of motherboards for builders didn’t implement ptt until core 7xxx-8xxx. My asus z170 doesn’t have ptt at all and requires a module that was hard to source before win 11 (now every supplier have several months of lead in).

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Man, I feel like such a fuckup. I've gotten a few SOC Analyst interviews, which is already a miracle considering my resume. I've even made it to the third round twice, but I inevitably mess up because being a hermit from the pandemic has made me socially stiff, and I was already an awkward person in the first place. I thought I had nailed my most recent interview. I said something incredibly dumb right at the literal end, which I immediately regretted the second it left my mouth. It's gonna be one of those things that just pop up in my shower or right-before-sleep thoughts for the rest of my life.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People say dumb poo poo all the time. Don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully it was something you had a chance to clarify, if not, I would focus on being able to work on that part of the social interaction and not the part where you never say something dumb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Baseline is 1.2 but recommended is 2.0. Unsurprisingly most makers of motherboards for builders didn’t implement ptt until core 7xxx-8xxx. My asus z170 doesn’t have ptt at all and requires a module that was hard to source before win 11 (now every supplier have several months of lead in).

No, it requires 2.0.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements

quote:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC).
RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater.
Storage: 64 GB* or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.
Additional storage space might be required to download updates and enable specific features.
Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
Display: High definition (720p) display, 9" or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.
Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Unsurprisingly microsoft docs are telling conflicting info

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/

Also lol at the official supported intel cpu list

https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

where an anemic atom or celeron is fine while a 6-7 series i7 is not.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bonzo posted:

Teams is built in which is cool but also lol

Ah yes, we really need more bloatware.

Teams is garbage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

sigh

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Internet Explorer posted:

People say dumb poo poo all the time. Don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully it was something you had a chance to clarify, if not, I would focus on being able to work on that part of the social interaction and not the part where you never say something dumb.

Oh, I definitely had a chance to clarify. I'm pretty sure I made it worse with a panic response. The company actually called to give me a rejection, which I've never experienced before. Not sure if it's better to get ghosted or getting a call to be told 'No."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Oh, I definitely had a chance to clarify. I'm pretty sure I made it worse with a panic response. The company actually called to give me a rejection, which I've never experienced before. Not sure if it's better to get ghosted or getting a call to be told 'No."

In my limited experience a direct rejection is worse, being ghosted is usually a "better luck next time" while flat out rejection is "never try again". Depends on the professionalism of the company HR.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LochNessMonster posted:

Teams is garbage.

its very good actually

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't allow MS Teams since we're a Webex Teams shop. Hopefully there are some good GPO's to disable built in Teams.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://twitter.com/shen/status/1408284995131645956

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That's actually hilarious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hahahahahaha

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Calling it now, next week's Newegg Shuffle bundle is a TPM and a 550W Gigabyte power supply.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
As far as I know TPM is used to store cryptographic keys. Very useful for drive encryption systems (Bitlocker and others). For home users, that probably will never use Bitlocker, why would MS require TPM? To validate/tie to hardware a windows installation? Product key?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

As far as I know TPM is used to store cryptographic keys. Very useful for drive encryption systems (Bitlocker and others). For home users, that probably will never use Bitlocker, why would MS require TPM? To validate/tie to hardware a windows installation? Product key?

Windows hello, key attestation of the biometric id or pin code . Without tpm, the key is freely available on the disk making it a chocolate teapot.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 25, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LochNessMonster posted:

Teams is garbage.

What is good?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pen and paper?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

What is good?

Crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

But not the pen or paper you like, only the pen and paper I like.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

But not the pen or paper you like, only the pen and paper I like.

Uniball 207 Micro.

A Pilot G2 is acceptable in a pinch.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

GreenNight posted:

We don't allow MS Teams since we're a Webex Teams shop. Hopefully there are some good GPO's to disable built in Teams.

lol
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/37022851-can-we-have-a-teams-gpo-admx-file-so-we-can-turn-o

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SlowBloke posted:

Windows hello, key attestation of the biometric id or pin code . Without tpm, the key is freely available on the disk making it a chocolate teapot.

The real answer is media DRM and antipiracy + attestation/rootkit "anticheat" for games

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

One of our dept heads (and our largest dept) has been super anti-WFH and even against their employees using apps like Teams. We literally had to turn off Teams access for their dept, the rest of the company has been using it for about 2.5 years at this point.

They’re now having issues hiring and retaining employees because a lot of our competitors are embracing WFH.

All the other managers could not care less as long as work gets done.

How does *one* department get to make a decision like that? Do you not have company software standards? How do they communicate with the rest of the company?

Sickening posted:

I think their data center folks were starting at 90k.

Do they only hire through recruiters? Because every job they currently list (which list is... very short) is in Munich, and they're mostly dev.
https://www.equinux.com/us/company/jobs.html
Not sure what all is entailed, but $90K is just a bit more than I'm currently pulling as a computer toucher, desktop variety.

punishedkissinger posted:

everyone getting hype for Windows 11???

xzzy posted:

Can't wait for the reg hacks to put the start menu back in the corner.
:hmmyes::same:
MS changing poo poo just to change poo poo. It's been there for 3 decades you fucks. Leave it alone. Stop making my clueless users learn new stuff if they don't need to. How about you, say, put all the Settings in one goddamned place first? Or make loving property sheets resizable? Fix the poo poo that's broken before slapping a fresh coat of paint on the same poo poo and calling it all new.
I... may have opinions on Windows.

GreenNight posted:

Don't need a reg hack, it's a built in toggle.

...really? That's... uncharacteristically friendly.

SlowBloke posted:

That document says exactly the same thing as the one Clam Down posted?

Ah, on second look, it was edited to correct the TPM requirement.

I really hate this timeline. Scalping apps should be a federal offense. Pretty sure online retailers could fix the scalping problem if they really wanted to. Or maybe not - I'm not a web-dev or coder.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Darchangel posted:

How does *one* department get to make a decision like that? Do you not have company software standards? How do they communicate with the rest of the company?

Do they only hire through recruiters? Because every job they currently list (which list is... very short) is in Munich, and they're mostly dev.
https://www.equinux.com/us/company/jobs.html
Not sure what all is entailed, but $90K is just a bit more than I'm currently pulling as a computer toucher, desktop variety.

:hmmyes::same:
MS changing poo poo just to change poo poo. It's been there for 3 decades you fucks. Leave it alone. Stop making my clueless users learn new stuff if they don't need to. How about you, say, put all the Settings in one goddamned place first? Or make loving property sheets resizable? Fix the poo poo that's broken before slapping a fresh coat of paint on the same poo poo and calling it all new.
I... may have opinions on Windows.

...really? That's... uncharacteristically friendly.

That document says exactly the same thing as the one Clam Down posted?

Ah, on second look, it was edited to correct the TPM requirement.

I really hate this timeline. Scalping apps should be a federal offense. Pretty sure online retailers could fix the scalping problem if they really wanted to. Or maybe not - I'm not a web-dev or coder.

Retailers just want to sell poo poo, they don't care.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
ARS and all the mumsnet like tech press has started doing articles on tpm so whichever little stock existed is now gone. I'm sorta conflicted on my home computers, one is an old as hell laptop and is starting to break down, the other tower is still fully operational (beside the audio jacks being broken). The laptop will get replaced once oems start making native win11 metal(and not w10 kit with a different sticker on it), the other I'm thinking to just replace it with a m1 mini and forget about having to handle this mess of compatibility guidelines for homebuilt.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 26, 2021

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

ARS and all the mumsnet like tech press has started doing articles on tpm so whichever little stock existed is now gone. I'm sorta conflicted on my home computers, one is an old as hell laptop and is starting to break down, the other tower is still fully operational (beside the audio jacks being broken). The laptop will get replaced once oems start making native win11 metal(and not w10 kit with a different sticker on it), the other I'm thinking to just replace it with a m1 mini and forget about having to handle this mess of compatibility guidelines for homebuilt.

I was looking into upgrading my home computer a couple of months ago, but held off because prices are stupid crazy. Pretty glad I did now. Will wait another year or so, hopefully prices will be back to semi normal and I can do it painlessly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 so you're in no rush to upgrade. And within the year I'm pretty sure every new motherboard will have the TPM module built in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad those new motherboards are going to be permanently sold out for the next couple years.

Microsoft's timing is pretty poo poo on this one, we're gonna use every minute of that 2025 date for W10 (ignoring all the usual integration delays with a major OS update).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

Too bad those new motherboards are going to be permanently sold out for the next couple years.

Microsoft's timing is pretty poo poo on this one, we're gonna use every minute of that 2025 date for W10 (ignoring all the usual integration delays with a major OS update).

Also the current stack of “entry” level macs are price competitive with windows machines due to shortages of parts while being equivalent or better in anything but gaming, they couldn’t have picked a worse time to call the “upgrade your computer plebs” card.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

What is good?

Most communication platforms have less desirable sides but Teams is the absolute worst.

The grouping of teams/channels is garbage. The random invisible state of channels inside a team is garbage.

Managing notifications is garbage (the default settings for this are a landfill).

The lack of structure in your chat history is horrible.

Search in even just a few months of history is returning more false positives than actual results.

The entire UI is a burning dumpster.

The only thing that does work without issues is video conferencing/screensharing, but that does not make up for all the other crap.

I hope MS forces their entire company to eat their own dogfood so the engineers from other departments will get so fed up using this crap that they’ll start improving it themselves. Basically what they did with Azure DevOps.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

poo poo, I've got groups planing on 2025 as an end date for Win 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When Windows 95 was released, they got a ton of poo poo due to the system requirements and the install bringing 486 DX machines to a crawl.

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwQKWiRJAA