Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
depends on wiretapping laws doesn't it? You're not a party to the conversation so you can't rely on one-party consent to enable recording/eavesdropping. It would probably depend on how that particular law is worded, if they shouldn't have an expectation of privacy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's illegal to use those recordings in court

Depending on the state it might be illegal to make private recordings on your own private property, but they would need to know about it too become a problem

I mean, remember when James Comey released his "notes" about his conversation with Donald Trump? That's because "notes" are way less politically explosive than "I secretly recorded the president of the united States, without his permission, then wrote down word for word what was on my recording".

IANAL but, good luck sir. Don't take my advice, and don't record the president.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
We’ll our agent has put up signs all over the house pointing out features and there’s one right above the ring doorbell pointing it out. I’m only watching it because we’ve left the house completely unattended and I want to keep an eye on it so nothing walks out the door.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hadlock posted:

It's illegal to use those recordings in court

Depending on the state it might be illegal to make private recordings on your own private property, but they would need to know about it too become a problem

I mean, remember when James Comey released his "notes" about his conversation with Donald Trump? That's because "notes" are way less politically explosive than "I secretly recorded the president of the united States, without his permission, then wrote down word for word what was on my recording".

IANAL but, good luck sir. Don't take my advice, and don't record the president.
what?

If my boss asked me to do something illegal, you bet your rear end I'd remember what he said and write it down at the first opportunity. It wouldn't need to involve actually recording him.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Got the final closing disclosure paperwork from the lender and it has PMI despite us putting 20% down, guess I'm calling the loan officer when the office opens up...

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Glumwheels posted:

We’ll our agent has put up signs all over the house pointing out features and there’s one right above the ring doorbell pointing it out. I’m only watching it because we’ve left the house completely unattended and I want to keep an eye on it so nothing walks out the door.

Every house that I've looked at with my realtor, when it comes time to "discuss what we think" or whatever, she's always made me move down to the sidewalk and a bit down the street away from the house so the sellers don't hear us. If you're talking on someone's porch, even if there isn't a recording device, someone could just hear you by standing near the window with the curtains closed.

So yeah, that's not your problem- it's their agent that is the stupid one for not physically taking the conversation away from the house.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tyro posted:

Got the final closing disclosure paperwork from the lender and it has PMI despite us putting 20% down, guess I'm calling the loan officer when the office opens up...

Some loan types require PMI regardless of down payment just because of the interest rates involved in exchange for having PMI on the loan.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Some loan types require PMI regardless of down payment just because of the interest rates involved in exchange for having PMI on the loan.

It turns out they didn't listen when after it appraised low, I told them i wanted to increase the down payment to keep the LTV ratio above 20%, so it had dropped to like 18.5% or something. They're redoing the paperwork.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

If you literally have a sign pointing to it, I wouldn't feel too bad but I also don't think anything good will happen from listening too closely.

We're pretty sure the seller of one house was listening to us on their cameras as my wife ripped the place to shreds (the house was basically a knockdown). The price that hadn't moved in months suddenly dropped by $30k the day after we toured it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A sign pointing it out is basically all you need to erase reasonable expectation of privacy. It's in plain site and signed? Eavesdrop away. Ethical? Not really, but I would do it. Illegal? No, even in 2 party states.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Tyro posted:

It turns out they didn't listen .... They're redoing the paperwork.

The only other valid thread title contender

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 25, 2021

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you play dumb every day, do you become deeply stupid?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You tell me, 06'er

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hello friends. :D

2.875 30 year fixed versus 2.25 10/6 arm.

How do we feel about that spread?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

What's the max rate on the arm?

To me, paying a 7% premium for the certainty of the back 20 years of the mortgage being the same historically low rate is worth it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Personally: 2.875 is so hilariously good, historically, that I wouldn't even consider an ARM anyway. Given that your ARM 10yr is 2.25%, it's pretty bad gamble IMO that the rates won't be substantially higher in 10 years than 2.875%. I could be wrong (it's a gamble on financial markets 10 yrs from now; it's all guessing), but there's only so much lower they can go to make that adjustable part worth it.

(Plus what he said, though - what's the max rate on the ARM? ^^^)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Vox Nihili posted:

In the Bay Area I'm hearing $200k-$250k over ask is common now :shepicide:

that was always the case and is not a new thing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I was gonna say, it's down that much??

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Residency Evil posted:

I'd stick with the fixed interest rate because allowing for any increase over the life of a mortgage is going to gently caress you every time.

You can always refinance later if there is a significant interest drop.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Take the fixed since if either rates go up (lol) or house prices drop (lol) then you will get 2008’d hard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We just got the appraisal back this morning. We are under contract for $621K and it came back at....$620K. We have appraisal gap and all that but my REA was pissed. She said just give me a bit of time. About an hour later I received an updated appraisal for $621K. Everything about this is dumb as hell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol that is incredibly dumb but it could have been much worse.

You were in Seattle/ish right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Denver which is just as dumb for housing but a lot cheaper.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Virginia seems so cheap, by comparison. At least outside of NOVA.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spwrozek posted:

We just got the appraisal back this morning. We are under contract for $621K and it came back at....$620K. We have appraisal gap and all that but my REA was pissed. She said just give me a bit of time. About an hour later I received an updated appraisal for $621K. Everything about this is dumb as hell.

Imagine being such a piece of poo poo that you have to lord your snivelly little power over $1000 on a $600,000 transaction.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I bet the appraiser just thought that was the sale price and forgot there was an extra 1k tacked on

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Residency Evil posted:

Don't give up 20 years for that spread imo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks guys. Max rate on the ARM is 5%, but sounds like everyone agrees fixed is the way to go.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I guess the open house is quite popular even with the heat, sounds like it’s going ok and it’s only serious shoppers out this weekend. Not a lot of inspection report requests yet.

Good news is our neighbor’s showing isn’t going as well, the listing agent didn’t put up signs or flyers anywhere. The marketing in the house is lazy and terrible. The listing agent has another agent showing it and she’s apparently directing everyone to see our house. The agent showing the neighbor’s house brought nuts and cheese to our agents before the open house and seems to like them haha.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

One of the houses I was interested in wants a 30-day rent-back, and another wants up to 90

My interest fell apart completely, like right away. I know it's become more common because people are stupid, especially in real estate, especially right now, but 90 days rent back? Seriously? Get a loving apartment you mongoloids

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pretty much every old person I know in the Phoenix area is actively working toward leaving because the summers continue to get longer and worse literally every year. Global warming is going to loving devastate areas like that, buying in Phoenix right now may actually be worse than buying a Florida beach house

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

After that King of the Hill episode where they go to Phoenix, pretty much crossed the whole state off my list

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, but to understand that I'd have to actually watch King of the hill. :chloe:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

spwrozek posted:

I work in the mortgage industry (*dodges incoming trash*) and during the onboarding training, they were super keen to pin pretty much all of the previous crash on no good rotten appraisers, including cartoony scenarios of exactly what you just described so this is pretty hilarious to me.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

QuarkJets posted:

One of the houses I was interested in wants a 30-day rent-back, and another wants up to 90

My interest fell apart completely, like right away. I know it's become more common because people are stupid, especially in real estate, especially right now, but 90 days rent back? Seriously? Get a loving apartment you mongoloids

Are you in an area where that rent-back is also expected to be free? We had a similar precipitous loss of interest (and honestly just genuine anger) in a place we loved when the sellers indicated they needed at least six weeks free rent back after we en used to the idea of offering one month by default. The house we ultimately got ended up wanting two weeks.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 27, 2021

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty much every old person I know in the Phoenix area is actively working toward leaving because the summers continue to get longer and worse literally every year. Global warming is going to loving devastate areas like that, buying in Phoenix right now may actually be worse than buying a Florida beach house

I continued to be baffled by just about everything going on in the housing market right now, but the sunbelt and Florida being like the hot places to move right now takes the cake.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

QuarkJets posted:

This is more or less happening with my boomer in laws.

The rent backs are because their new house construction is getting delayed due to material shortages so they are saying “well the least they can do is let me live here until my new house is built!”

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
In true fashion of the thread title…

We’re 2 weeks into escrow. Lender never scheduled an appraisal and said last week they didn’t need one. On Friday they did a 180 and now they *do* need an appraisal. We’re due to remove the appraisal contingency on Tuesday. I’m not optimistic about getting an appraisal done before Tuesday, given that the selling agent hasn’t even been contacted by the appraisal company yet.

Meanwhile, the seller has gotten cold feet and thinks that maybe they don’t want to sell their house after all.

So, we can hold off on removing the appraisal contingency and give the sellers their out. Or we can roll the dice and remove the contingency before the appraisal is done, and potentially lose our EMD if it comes back too low.

WTF

E: just for context, the home we’re on contract for is the seller’s vacation home, not primary residence. Husband is a fancy pants surgeon and wants to go retire on a golf course somewhere, but the mrs isn’t so keen on the idea after all now that paperwork is happening

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 27, 2021

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Crazyweasel posted:

This is more or less happening with my boomer in laws.

The rent backs are because their new house construction is getting delayed due to material shortages so they are saying “well the least they can do is let me live here until my new house is built!”

That oozes with the entitlement my boomer mother exhibits on a disquietingly regular basis. It's really awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

When we started looking, rent-backs were a hard pass for me for the usual reasons. For the latest offer we just put in it was, "well at least they're asking for ten days instead of thirty, go ahead and write it up."

One guy on reddit used the phrase "simping for shelter," which I appreciated.