Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Random co-host made a bad joke in 2011, joke discovered. Fine minutes later, 50 replies to Jesse's latest post "EXCUSE ME JESSE ARE YOU AWARE WHAT IS GOING ON AT YOUR NETWORK?"

The Maxfun boycotts the "Bubble" graphic novel because Mitch had a major role in it, so Jesse has to decide which friend he has to throw under the bus to save his bottom line...again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Adolf Hitler

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Marsupial Ape posted:

The Maxfun boycotts the "Bubble" graphic novel because Mitch had a major role in it, so Jesse has to decide which friend he has to throw under the bus to save his bottom line...again.

Talk about a tomorrow war

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

I got an honest to god pair of Minion Quotes images posted to my Facebook page by an elderly family member for my birthday. One of them is the minions, but here’s the other one if anyone wants to take a crack at guessing the character:

Pepe le pew?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I got an honest to god pair of Minion Quotes images posted to my Facebook page by an elderly family member for my birthday. One of them is the minions, but here’s the other one if anyone wants to take a crack at guessing the character:

Gandalf

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Colonel Whitey posted:

stitch

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Tweety bird

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Colonel Whitey posted:

Sonic

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Gotta go with Garfield

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

My gut says Snoopy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

SpacePig posted:

Tweety bird

We got a winner!

E: oh gently caress now I have to post it on Facebook without comment

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 24, 2021

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I wonder, is there some cursed corner of the various Haunted Doll Watch dolls that Justin has bought over the years?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

In “I’m late to the party for a different popular DnD podcast” news…

Jesus Christ It’s insane that the McElroys tried (and continued to try) to do Graduation when Dimension 20’s Fantasy High already existed.

Graduation comes off like a Transmorphers style mockbuster.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sankara posted:

I wonder, is there some cursed corner of the various Haunted Doll Watch dolls that Justin has bought over the years?

I'm sad that most of the doll watches do t have images of the dolls for posterity.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I do think it would be cool if Justin guested on MonsterTalk (a decade old podcast none of have heard of) to talk about the culture surrounding EBay haunted doll listings.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ten minutes into the last Ethersea prologue episode and I gotta say, it has taken a while to get here but every single person has contributed some sick as hell flavor to the backstory of this campaign. The pacing to get to this point has been plodding, but I'm extremely excited to see how this evolves into the backdrop for the next campaign

E: immediately after posting this Griffin drops that actually, because The USS Biggest Baby is made of the bones of a dead and long-forgotten god, the boat has a soul! Only a few people can even pilot it! Holy poo poo!

E2: Justin made the diving suits into loving vape juice airtank suits

bawk fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 24, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

E: immediately after posting this Griffin drops that actually, because The USS Biggest Baby is made of the bones of a dead and long-forgotten god, the boat has a soul! Only a few people can even pilot it! Holy poo poo!

E2: Justin made the diving suits into loving vape juice airtank suits

ethersea already much better than last campaign

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

actually, because The USS Biggest Baby is made of the bones of a dead and long-forgotten god, the boat has a soul! Only a few people can even pilot it! Holy poo poo!

Neon Genesis Ethersea

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I've heard of love boat and I've heard of soul plane, but soul boat?!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just finished the last episode of Ethersea, and I am STOKED for the setting. I started recapping it in my head and there are going to be a lot of weird old-gods touches that they have given a whisper to in TQY that Griffin can play with once the campaign proper starts

I really hope Justin's character eventually discovers a strange psychic power that gives him an advantage when fighting in water.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm imagining opening up the front cover to a fantasy book and seeing this

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Maxfun donos hard at work.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Colonel Whitey posted:

Porky pig?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AndrewP posted:

I would love to see a talented artist attempt to make a good-looking render of this nonsense map.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
drat. drat, that wrapped up very, very well.

E: very interested in the potential for illicit adventure in noted hive of scum and villainy, Joshy's Knuckle

scopes fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 24, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Since there are people waiting for the all clear, and I already timestamped it for friends, the game world is set in motion at 1:37:17 of the latest Prologue which sets the scene for Ethersea proper. It is final remarks in character (not their final characters) by Travis, Justin, and Clint before Griffin begins the narration describing the beginning of the cataclysm that sends everyone underwater. Followed by a description of the underwater city.

^^^^
Very light spoilers, I am certainly not revealing anything that wasn't revealed in the trailer.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Now that the prologue is done I'm probably going to pick it up and binge listen. Glad to hear it's a bit of a return to form!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Now that the prologue is done I'm probably going to pick it up and binge listen. Glad to hear it's a bit of a return to form!

If I could compare it to anything they've done so far, it feels like The Crystal Kingdom arc from Balance. There's still goofs, and there's a serious story in there someplace, but most importantly they're having a lot of fun

E: but it IS 5 episodes of them vaguely describing a whole year of a society, so it is much less intense than an average TCK balance episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just structurally do not agree with this approach to collaborative storytelling. I think it is much more entertaining to start in media res and collaboratively build backstory as you go along, add necessary, rather than shackle yourselves with it from the outset.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I just structurally do not agree with this approach to collaborative storytelling. I think it is much more entertaining to start in media res and collaboratively build backstory as you go along, add necessary, rather than shackle yourselves with it from the outset.

I don't think even skilled improvisers could extemporize the entire structure, background, culture, whatever of an underwater city and make it good radio. I'd argue it's like saying that Balance would've been better if they all made it up as they went along.

I like Hello from the Magic Tavern, but I don't think it'd make a good RPG

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i can't believe they talked about bathysphere habitats for 10 minutes, mentioned they look like grapes, and did not make the connection that they literally look like fish eggs

0/10, show ruined

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

eke out posted:

i can't believe they talked about bathysphere habitats for 10 minutes, mentioned they look like grapes, and did not make the connection that they literally look like fish eggs

0/10, show ruined

I preferred the five minutes they spent trying to come up with a name for the robot things to end up with a play on words that was neither funny nor interesting.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want to briefly vent that Griffin McElroy dragging his feet on playing Nier games drives me up the drat wall.

If Justin can dehumanize himself and face to Yoko Taro I don't see why Griffin can't. Get off your high horse and hear a gaddang sound, Griff. Jeez.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A lot of modern role playing games start this way. If you haven't tried it yourself, I can get where you're coming from, but it's not as much of a 'shackle' as you'd imagine. You're still making up the story, so you can burn or create whatever things you (or the DM) wants.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

A lot of modern role playing games start this way. If you haven't tried it yourself, I can get where you're coming from, but it's not as much of a 'shackle' as you'd imagine. You're still making up the story, so you can burn or create whatever things you (or the DM) wants.

It feels like a ton of discussions come down to "That's how the game is played, it's a lot of fun" and "This sucks to listen to." Which aren't actually contradictory points. Similar to golf and baseball which are both amazing to play and the worst things ever to watch.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/1408510808418521088

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's no DePiglio but still delightful <3.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It feels like a ton of discussions come down to "That's how the game is played, it's a lot of fun" and "This sucks to listen to." Which aren't actually contradictory points. Similar to golf and baseball which are both amazing to play and the worst things ever to watch.

Sure, I suppose. Was just speaking to the idea of them getting shackled by the backstories they're making. Less of a "that's how the game is played" and more "don't worry yet friend, there's a surprising amount you can do in this space". Dig that metaphor lol.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Baseball sucks to play. Not rich or old enough to like golf.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

There is more on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lypo5pMkbgc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Glad to hear the Besties finally getting some add revenue.