Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Isn't Paul rudd in his 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Simu Liu is 32, that's considered old?

Oh honey... we got bad news

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Liu being too ugly is such a tired narrative and has been going on for years now. He's not ugly and even if he was, who cares?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not every male lead can be Henry Golding

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DaveKap posted:

There's been some good points made about what's wrong with this Loki episode and what may or may not have happened but I think I can finally boil down what the core problem of the episode was: A lot of small inconsistencies piled up onto each other into the whole thing feeling completely wrong.

Sylvie didn't know her magic wouldn't work in the TVA despite spending "her life" running from them and years planning to fight back?
Do the TVA need to swing their batons around to get a kill?
Despite being completely trounced in episode 2, Loki can now get Sylvie in an arm lock as long as he has his knives?
Sylvie didn't think to go into her end-of-many-years plan with more than one charge in her timepad?
Can't Loki's magic just make him and Sylvie invisible to sneak onto the train?
Can't Loki's magic just make him and Sylvie both security guards to sneak onto the train?
Why does Loki like wearing his variant jacket? If he thinks he's #1, shouldn't he have shed that by now? (Admittedly he did finally get rid of it after his leap out the train.)
If things Loki makes invisible can break from a fall, how have his daggers not stabbed him by now?
Did Sylvie not take a nap before enacting her grand plan to get back at the TVA?
If Loki was in a rush to get to the ship, he should've used his telekinesis powers on himself and Sylvie.
Why did the train cops fight Loki and Sylvie outside the ship?
Why did either of them think they were getting on the ship when it was going to launch in 5 minutes and they were too far away to reach it?
Wait, shouldn't the universe have imploded thanks to all the timeline fuckage Sylvie's distraction caused?
Wait, why would the TVA even come to this timeline to grab Loki and Sylvie if they're too busy dealing with Sylvie's distraction?
Wait, how do Sylvie's time bombs cause timeline strands when time bombs are supposed to fix timeline strands?!

Most of these are incredibly dumb nitpicks you don't actually need the answer to.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Apologies if this is common knowledge or if it's something I'll have answered in the movie, but "10 Rings" is the terrorist organization from the first Iron Man, right? Are they meant to be related in MCU or was it a comic reference they never expected to follow up on?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hobo Clown posted:

Apologies if this is common knowledge or if it's something I'll have answered in the movie, but "10 Rings" is the terrorist organization from the first Iron Man, right? Are they meant to be related in MCU or was it a comic reference they never expected to follow up on?

They were supposed to be a comic reference that were never expected to follow up on.

The Ten Rings (in the comics) are magic rings from alien dragons that each give magic powers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's more applicable in Iron Man 3's "The Mandarin" and the little follow-up short featuring him.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

live with fruit posted:

Liu being too ugly is such a tired narrative and has been going on for years now. He's not ugly and even if he was, who cares?

I mean in the most recent comics he's a hot ~20 year old, my post was more a contrast to that

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mutata posted:

It's more applicable in Iron Man 3's "The Mandarin" and the little follow-up short featuring him.

They also pop up in Ant-Man.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Looks like they're getting right everything that Iron Fist got wrong.

And if Iron First got anything wrong, it certainly was everything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

They also pop up in Ant-Man.

I don't remember that, where was it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soonmot posted:

I don't remember that, where was it?

One of the terrorist types that were bidding on the shrinking suits had a 10 rings tattoo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think its just 10 Rings has been a scary name for probably centuries due to the Mandarin being the Mandarin. The 10 Rings from Iron Man were either using the name for scare value or directly controlled by him, based on their resources, probably the later. Because the 10 Rings and the Mandarin are scary names that already exist, Killian coops them for his fake terrorists. He probably thinks its a myth or whatnot, so isn't worried about the real Mandarin coming after him. Though as there is a Mandarin, and he's not happy based on Hail To The King short.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Surely Ben Kingsley makes a cameo to clear up the confusion.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

twistedmentat posted:

He's not Happy based on Hail To The King short.

That would have been a heck of a twist.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

JazzFlight posted:

This show is really just not grabbing me. I dunno if it's just the writing, or the direction and fight choreography as well, but it's just so boring.
So many scenes are really just two characters talking for 5 minutes and then moving to another location to talk for another 5 minutes. Just endless talking (and the dialogue is pretty bland as well).

Enjoyed the mystery and style of WandaVision, liked Falcon/Winter Soldier enough (but definitely acknowledged it was a step down and just a cut-up action movie), but this feels like wasted potential.

I feel mostly the same way. This show hasn't grabbed me or made me want to watch to see what comes next. It just seems like spinning its wheels because there's so many mandated episodes to fill.

It doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Hiddleston. I feel like he is fine in short bursts, but relying on him to carry this show isn't working for me either.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't think it is quite as good as WandaVision or Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I still enjoy it very much.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Arist posted:

Most of these are incredibly dumb nitpicks you don't actually need the answer to.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. The problem isn't that they individually exist, the problem is that there's so many of them all piled up onto one episode.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DaveKap posted:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. The problem isn't that they individually exist, the problem is that there's so many of them all piled up onto one episode.

Sure, I get that and I kind of agree. On the other hand, I just finished watching F9: The Fast Saga which had two characters driving/flying a car in space. So gently caress it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thanks random internet person for translating the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sY9qupsT0

Edit:
Random fan thoughts: I'll be honest, I would love Sylvie's whole arc (if it makes it past the show) for her to find a new home in New Asgard. Like, both Lokis needs a place where they feel they belong to. Variant Loki seems to be the TVA even if he says otherwise, it would be cool for Sylvie to finally find a place she can consider home.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 25, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She'll end up in New York so she can spend time with her mail man boyfriend, Willy Lumpkin

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Oasx posted:

I don't think it is quite as good as WandaVision or Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I still enjoy it very much.

Interesting!

Wandavision, for me, was mostly terrible except for the tremendous episode 8 (flashbacks to Dick Van Dyke and the Vision scam), which is one of the best hours of television ever. The show as a whole came off more as a gimmick or curiosity, and the first two episodes are a labor to get through.

Falcon/Soldier is a mixed bag, because Walker is too weak on his own, but good enough as a foil, and the Flag-Smashers are horribly written and acted. Zemo was decent but ended up being pointless, the villain reveal was dumb and predictable, and the final episode was a ridiculous mess where nothing made sense, and the speeches seemed forced and banal.

Loki has been a home run for me, and I could watch these episodes repeatedly, endlessly. Wilson and Hiddleston have amazing chemistry, and Hiddleston's Loki is so loving charismatic, I'd probably just enjoy watching him eat nachos.

Different strokes, etc.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Random fan thoughts: I'll be honest, I would love Sylvie's whole arc (if it makes it past the show) for her to find a new home in New Asgard. Like, both Lokis needs a place where they feel they belong to. Variant Loki seems to be the TVA even if he says otherwise, it would be cool for Sylvie to finally find a place she can consider home.

Plus a Sylvie/Valkyrie pairing would be pretty smoking. And it would probably freak out Thor a little bit.

One thought I just had about Sylvie is that without some further revelation, her situation doesn't make sense given the nature and reach of the TVA. Loki being born a girl is enough to disturb the Sacred Timeline - so she'd be reset/deleted. So, she wouldn't exist long enough to be told she was adopted.

Unless.

Unless perhaps she predates the TVA. Perhaps Sylvie is from a timeline that was destroyed by the Time-keepers in the previous Multi-verse War.

There's still holes in that idea (why doesn't the TVA know she's a female Loki?) but it seems a possibility. I admit that I'm really looking forward to next Wed.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That was my initial though. She grows up fairly happy and then the TVA comes to prune her timeline but somehow she survives long enough to escape.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Everyone posted:

Plus a Sylvie/Valkyrie pairing would be pretty smoking. And it would probably freak out Thor a little bit.

lol if both Lokis show up in Thor Love and Thunder for Thor himself to have a what the gently caress reaction a la Spider-man.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think all three shows have something really great going on, but could probably have been just 3-4 episodes long and just as good. An awful amount of wheel spinning for stories that are short enough as they are.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

DaveKap posted:

Despite being completely trounced in episode 2, Loki can now get Sylvie in an arm lock as long as he has his knives?

That part did bother me. The first two episodes set her up as this unstoppable force, running rings around both the TVA and Loki, completely outclassing them both physically and mentally.

And then this episode, she just spends the whole time jobbing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She'll end up in New York so she can spend time with her mail man boyfriend, Willy Lumpkin

Certainly explains how she's able to maintain a relationship through time and space.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I think all three shows have something really great going on, but could probably have been just 3-4 episodes long and just as good. An awful amount of wheel spinning for stories that are short enough as they are.

Personally, I think the actual story arcs have been the least memorable and important parts of all 3 series. I want character moments and interactions. The movies are there for tight plot and exposition, the TV series are for characters to get a bit more room to stretch. I want these shows to meander a bit.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Alchenar posted:

I don't know my dude. At episode 3, Wandavision was still just hinting at the outside world.

This series is absolutely blazing in comparison.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wandavision episodes were also half as long. If you played them side by side, Loki wouldn't even have left the TVA by the end of the third Wandavision episode.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Everyone posted:

One thought I just had about Sylvie is that without some further revelation, her situation doesn't make sense given the nature and reach of the TVA. Loki being born a girl is enough to disturb the Sacred Timeline - so she'd be reset/deleted. So, she wouldn't exist long enough to be told she was adopted.

Unless.

Unless perhaps she predates the TVA. Perhaps Sylvie is from a timeline that was destroyed by the Time-keepers in the previous Multi-verse War.

There's still holes in that idea (why doesn't the TVA know she's a female Loki?) but it seems a possibility. I admit that I'm really looking forward to next Wed.

Hint, Loki is Genderfluid on his TVA file. Sylvie was born a frost giant (and those appear to be mono-gendered as a species) also she specifically says do not call me Loki anymore, she likely has the same start as all Loki’s do, found by Odyn, disguised as a male Asgardian, brought back and raised as his son. Then the variance is telling Loki about being a Frost Giant early, which leads to the TVA, and Loki manages to escape and over the centuries of fleeing realises that she is a woman named Sylvie, not the male Loki of Asgard.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 26, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

Hint, Loki is Genderfluid on his TVA file. Sylvie was born a frost giant (and those appear to be mono-gendered as a species) also she specifically says do not call me Loki anymore, she likely has the same start as all Loki’s do, found by Odyn, disguised as a male Asgardian, brought back and raised as his son. Then the variance is telling Loki about being a Frost Giant early, which leads to the TVA, and Loki manages to escape and over the centuries of fleeing realises that she is a woman named Sylvie, not the male Loki of Asgard.

You might be a bit wrong... kinda big spoilers regarding this A scene on an interview I posted shows a child Sylvie being brought in to the TVA. As a little girl in Asgardian clothes. So yeah, it seems she got adopted by Odin but at certain moment in her childhood she realized she liked being a girl. We won't really know the TVA's reasons why she was arrested until next episode it seems.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

You might be a bit wrong... kinda big spoilers regarding this A scene on an interview I posted shows a child Sylvie being brought in to the TVA. As a little girl in Asgardian clothes. So yeah, it seems she got adopted by Odin but at certain moment in her childhood she realized she liked being a girl. We won't really know the TVA's reasons why she was arrested until next episode it seems.

As much as it kind of sucks, Sylvie was almost certainly arrested for being/identifying as a little girl. Whatever their gender-fluidity, the Sacred Timeline Loki needed to present as male and be Thor's rear end in a top hat brother not his rear end in a top hat sister (that's Hel's role) .

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Everyone posted:

As much as it kind of sucks, Sylvie was almost certainly arrested for being/identifying as a little girl. Whatever their gender-fluidity, the Sacred Timeline Loki needed to present as male and be Thor's rear end in a top hat brother not his rear end in a top hat sister (that's Hel's role) .

They also needed to have spent a part of their life jealous of Thor, and feeling the lesser prince/princess, finding out what they really were later on adulthood, etc,etc. And because Sylvie was told she was adopted earlier than expected, she probably was set to have a nicer life. And that's a no-no for the TVA.

God, the magic lizards are such assholes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Was disappointed they didn't ride a space jet ski to get away. Thumbs down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

If this is actually what they go with, there's gonna be some hard wailing and gnashing of teeth and it's absolutely going to eclipse whatever quality the show actually has.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

If this is actually what they go with, there's gonna be some hard wailing and gnashing of teeth and it's absolutely going to eclipse whatever quality the show actually has.

Why? It shows the TVA to be close-minded assholes who are certainly not the "Timeline heroes" they present themselves to be and who deserve every bit of the murderous "mischief" that Sylvie has been inflicting on them. Though in this case the TVA wouldn't be acting out of simple-minded bigotry but from their monomania to preserve the "Sacred Timeline." If a Natasha Romanoff had been Nathan and been on the path to be the Black Widower, they'd have pruned him. Ditto Wanda as Wayne Maximoff as the Scarlet Warlock or whatever.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

mind the walrus posted:

Only if the TVA is presented as good guys. But, they're not. Transfolks actually are systemically oppressed so this makes it a more compassionate, genuine allegory, if anything.

Unless you mean gnashing of teeth from the bigots who don't believe discrimination exists, a la boat financing, in which case sure but also at some point you gotta stop worrying about offending rear end in a top hat internet chuds.