Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
There is actually a way to find the last few pieces of essence! If you leave the room and come back, the Whispering Root resets and you have to dream nail it again to respawn the essence you haven't collected. When you do, the essence first appears right next to the root and then moves away, and you can look at the direction it moves to find out roughly where it is. (You can also do this the first time you dream nail a root, it's just not very useful as the essence is usually spread over the entire room.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I haven't played this game but this thread definitely inspired me to check out more info about it and so uh, about the red shrine activating...Is it related to the Grimm Troupe DLC?

Also Space Dandy is amazing. Definitely the definitive Shinichiro Watanabe show. I always thought Bebop was overrated and Champloo while not perfect, was what I wanted Bebop to be, managing episodic stuff, a tight plot, and absurd hijinks all around, but Space Dandy absolutely does not give a gently caress, managing to be artsy, deranged, and funny as hell all in one.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 19, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shitenshi posted:

I haven't played this game but this thread definitely inspired me to check out more info about it and so uh, about the red shrine activating...Is it related to the Grimm Troupe DLC?

Yes, we'll see the effect next time Nat's back in town.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I just spent the whole week 112%ing this game after getting it on tuesday. Hoo boy, what a ride. What a fantastic game. Thanks for inspiring me to get it.
Now, back to watching episode... 19.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

She has some new moves, like the traps she throws out, or being able to jump off of the walls.

The traps are new but I'm pretty sure she can jump off the wall on the first fight, it just doesn't show up often because she's so slow that it's easy to be on the ground whenever she lunges.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZF6wnZNZCU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Why do I suspect drinking and football may have been involved...?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I love that you post these updates right when I get back from a late finish at work.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, it's Bug :drac:!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is Divine a termite? Her lower body reminds me of a termite queen.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really love the Abyss, it's probably my second favorite area in the game behind the city of tears

the atmosphere is incredibly good

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Jen X posted:

I really love the Abyss, it's probably my second favorite area in the game behind the city of tears

The ascent through the Abyss after obtaining the Void Heart is incredible

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Captain_Person posted:

The ascent through the Abyss after obtaining the Void Heart is incredible

shhhhhh but yeah this is why

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jen X posted:

Yeah this is my favourite episode of the LP so far. There's just so much happening now, and this place dumps so much info on you just from how it looks, and what it must all mean. Taking a goddamn bath in this creepy fountain of soul sludge is one hell of a visual.
Oh and one other reason it's my favourite episode is cause when my main job around here is plopping text on stuff, I nerd out surprisingly hard over extremely subtle differences in font effects :v:

I still don't have all the story pieces put together yet, but the overall picture is looking pretty :stonk:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Abyss is super cool.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

That descent down into the Abyss always gives me chills. It just keeps going down and down. There's nary a hint of what might be at the bottom, or even if there is a bottom! And there are no aggressive enemies to distract you as you make your way down. It's just so foreboding.

The only other time I'd experienced that in a videogame was this one side dungeon I discovered in Dungeon Siege. After going down a large hole you are taken to an empty, massive labyrinth. The game offers no hints of where to go, and is just dead silent as you try to find your way through. I eventually found a gate that I thought was the end of the maze, only to discover that there was a second part!

I never got to the end. It was late at night when I found the place, and the game takes you back to the last checkpoint when you exit out. But I'm still a little curious to see what's at the end of that maze.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i know im ahead but gz nat

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Screaming at Nat for sticking his head into a room, saying "I'll explore this in a moment" and then forgetting about it 60 seconds later.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

C-Euro posted:

Screaming at Nat for sticking his head into a room, saying "I'll explore this in a moment" and then forgetting about it 60 seconds later.

Every time he looks at the full map it hurts inside to see areas that come up as explored when they haven't been.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tea, you robbed me of your flusteredness at Nat killing the nailsmith without a second thought :arghfist:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Divine makes the cutest little noises that only a creepy monster could make. I love it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I did not think Nat would return to Hallownest's Summit.

And I certainly didn't think that upon his return, he again misses the one thing his Dreamnail will interact with.

Black Robe posted:

Every time he looks at the full map it hurts inside to see areas that come up as explored when they haven't been.

Especially frustrating when you consider that he's been able to get Isma's Tear since episode 19.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SirPhoebos posted:

Especially frustrating when you consider that he's been able to get Isma's Tear since episode 19.

Arguably one of the unintentional downsides of the addition of the Hidden Station. Before the patch, any time you'd go to the ancient basin you'd be likely to traverse the collapsed lift shaft, and be reminded there's an exit to the right in the shaft you can't access, prompting you to loop around to find the entrance in the waterway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Black Robe posted:

Oh good, it's not just me then. Yeah that is a problem with the game's mapping design, but I assume that's part of why they added pins to the game later.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think it was resident evil 2 remake that had The Map Design That Everyone Else Should Just Copy.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cactus posted:

I think it was resident evil 2 remake that had The Map Design That Everyone Else Should Just Copy.
You mean the one where the room turns blue on the map once you've found everything in it? Disagree. It's maybe useful for stuff that you can't get until you come back later, but it felt like it broke the flow of the game to repeatedly open the map to check the room you're in and think, "Did I get everything? No there's another item... okay found the 2 bullets, NOW did I get everything? No? What the gently caress else is there?"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well grats on getting the first ending Nat.

And I'm glad your going to keep playing the game, because there's so much more to uncover in just the base game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is the first time I ever noticed that the Hollow Knight is watching you before you smash those chains. I mean, it's not like there's much else going on when you're sealed in a box for a thousand years or w/e but now I wonder if the Hollow Knight, like, knew we were coming. Was it waiting?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think there's an argument to be made about which ending is the "good" ending in this game but obviously that's a discussion for another time.

I love having Quirrell fight alongside you for that boss, the team-up moments in this game are very rare but very satisfying. When I saw him standing outside the Archive the first time I played this game, I was so worried that I was going to have to fight him.

YggiDee posted:

This is the first time I ever noticed that the Hollow Knight is watching you before you smash those chains. I mean, it's not like there's much else going on when you're sealed in a box for a thousand years or w/e but now I wonder if the Hollow Knight, like, knew we were coming. Was it waiting?

Yeah the head-tracking is a great, slightly creepy detail.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Congrats on getting the Link The Fire ending! :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

C-Euro posted:

I think there's an argument to be made about which ending is the "good" ending in this game but obviously that's a discussion for another time.

I love having Quirrell fight alongside you for that boss, the team-up moments in this game are very rare but very satisfying. When I saw him standing outside the Archive the first time I played this game, I was so worried that I was going to have to fight him.

Same! I was worried there'd be some awful twist coming up. But then when he joined in the fight, that's one of the most exciting moments I've felt watching the game so far. I was just so happy! :3:

Now that I've seen one ending, this sure doesn't seem like a good one. The timescales here are really fuzzy, but the Hollow Knight's original seal couldn't have even lasted all that long in the grand scheme of things, if Quirrel and the Last Stag are still around to have the time of the kingdom's downfall still in their living memory. Our seal seems like a pretty weak bandaid.

But there's obviously still a lot more to find out, and a lot of nooks and crannies left to explore. And the Hollow Knight boss fight sure was cool to watch. I have absolutely loved every bit of this game's aesthetic, and the OG Hollow Knight himself has so much eerie style. The bit where he just stabs himself over and over was so unnerving in the best way.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I can never decide if they're having a lucid moment and trying to help you, or if the orange goo is trying to free itself

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think in a way Quirrel, the Last Stag, and others are basically gods and immune to the effects of aging, thus the whole higher being bit and stuff going on here

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There're all magic insects, I have no idea what timescale we're even going with. Hollownest might have fallen, like, five years ago and it seems ancient because the average lifespan of the entire cast is six months. Or maybe they're centuries old! Who knows! They're bugs!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I can never decide if they're having a lucid moment and trying to help you, or if the orange goo is trying to free itself

I always assumed it was the first one, maybe because of the music going for slow tragic strings in the second half of the fight.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
We do know that the records the citizens were inscribing on spider silk have been exposed to the elements long enough to become illegible, but not long enough to fall completely into decay, because there's still piles of them around, with observable definition. And while I did see dev notes that said the timelessness was an intentional decision, and no mention of a specific passage of time was to be made, I feel like spider silk has maybe a decade in it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I always assumed it was the first one, maybe because of the music going for slow tragic strings in the second half of the fight.

That's my interpretation as well. The fight starts out pretty simple, but the goo starts to get out as the fight goes on and he does more infested attacks, so he starts having, I guess, lucid moments and attacking himself to help out the knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Ink on silk can last a long time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_painting_depicting_a_man_riding_a_dragon