Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad guy
Jun 20, 2021

bad guy posted:

I'm looking for a sitcom episode, I think probably originally aired in the 90s. In the episode one of the characters is dating a puppeteer for a kids show. Iirc the puppet is a giraffe. The relationship seems to be going well but the giraffe keeps saying really mean pointed things on the kids show that could be interpreted as criticism.. The puppeteer is a woman and the character is a man. I think she has straight hair. That's all I got.

I got most of the details wrong but it was an episode of Just Shoot Me. Thanks for nothing, white whale thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'm always searching for various books and other miscellaneous crap, and have gotten pretty good at finding what I'm looking for, even if it takes me years to do so. That being said, sometimes things elude me no matter how hard I search. Here are three that I've posted about in other threads. I would appreciate any help, especially for the first one.

1) "It'sa" brand anything

I just finished reading through this entire thread and I don't think I ever saw anyone mention this one. The "It'sa" brand was the store brand for a chain of gas stations and convenience stores in the North Bay Area of California back when I was growing up there in the 80's and 90's. It was originally called (I think) "Food & Liquor Cheaper!" and then just "Cheaper!" I've since moved away but checking on Google Maps shows the one that was down the street from my house is now another chain called "Bonfare Market". No idea if they are still affiliated (I don't see any "It'sa" brand anything in the photos on Google Maps), but I definitely remember my parents stopping there and bringing home groceries in paper bags with rants about high taxes and other perceived government over-reach. I also remember they even had stickers on the gas pumps talking about the taxes included in the price per gallon of gas and how much Cheaper! gas could be if there weren't any.

Here's a news article about the folks behind the chain; you'll see it lines up with the quotes from your wrapper. You may be able to find more by searching for the folks mentioned there.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Paper-Plastic-Don-t-Vote-Grocery-chain-s-2969137.php

Edit: oh poo poo, that guy got got for financial fraud : https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/sanfrancisco/press-releases/2012/former-owner-of-cigarettes-cheaper-sentenced-to-five-years-for-bank-fraud.

and his house burned down! https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Glass-House-Fairfield-CA-fire-1700-Twin-Sisters-12283831.php

YouTubeTekReviewer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 26, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think any radical libertarian who lives long enough will eventually go to jail for financial fraud

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

YouTubeTekReviewer posted:

I just finished reading through this entire thread and I don't think I ever saw anyone mention this one. The "It'sa" brand was the store brand for a chain of gas stations and convenience stores in the North Bay Area of California back when I was growing up there in the 80's and 90's. It was originally called (I think) "Food & Liquor Cheaper!" and then just "Cheaper!" I've since moved away but checking on Google Maps shows the one that was down the street from my house is now another chain called "Bonfare Market". No idea if they are still affiliated (I don't see any "It'sa" brand anything in the photos on Google Maps), but I definitely remember my parents stopping there and bringing home groceries in paper bags with rants about high taxes and other perceived government over-reach. I also remember they even had stickers on the gas pumps talking about the taxes included in the price per gallon of gas and how much Cheaper! gas could be if there weren't any.

Here's a news article about the folks behind the chain; you'll see it lines up with the quotes from your wrapper. You may be able to find more by searching for the folks mentioned there.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Paper-Plastic-Don-t-Vote-Grocery-chain-s-2969137.php

Edit: oh poo poo, that guy got got for financial fraud : https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/sanfrancisco/press-releases/2012/former-owner-of-cigarettes-cheaper-sentenced-to-five-years-for-bank-fraud.

and his house burned down! https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Glass-House-Fairfield-CA-fire-1700-Twin-Sisters-12283831.php

Holy poo poo!! Thank you!!!!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

bad guy posted:

I got most of the details wrong but it was an episode of Just Shoot Me. Thanks for nothing, white whale thread!

You’re quite welcome.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Looking for the vid/song by this japaneae band. I always find songs by a different band whose name I don't recall, so I don't think it's them?

The only thing from the lyrics I remember were "SCARY!" and I think maybe that was the name of the song? In retrospect, it had a kind of Andrew WK vibe to it. I think the video was v. colorful.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Also still lookin' for my fuckin' Beezbo tape. I know somebody's holding out on me here...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zopotantor posted:

Might be the September 1983 issue of Communications, the thumbnail is a bit too small to see clearly.

That's it! Thank you thank you thank you.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Looking for a racing game, I wanna say it's 486 / Pentium era.
It's fully 3D and what made it stand out is the speeds of the cars, it had very wide tracks and the average speed was like 200-300 kmh at any point, up to 400+ kmh top speed. The cars were all similar looking, kind of a super-aerodynamic Bugatti Veyron type, looking like a half of an egg cut lengthwise. I remember most (if not all) of the races taking place at night.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Megarace?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A clip saw either on these forums in a video or tweet form or possibly on reddit talking about James Cameron pushing the boundaries with his new camera for Avatar 2. The subject matter is a woman twerking. It was pretty funny and I doubt it was for Avatar 2 and I want to show it to the rlm thread so we can laugh at James Cameron

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Back in the 90s I remember seeing a lot of promos on Aussie TV about a show coming soon involving a child rearing expert with completely different ways of doing things (in the promo he stuck out his tongue about advice from these other experts.)

Male, curly black hair, possibly British or New Zealand? (So yeah, not Supernanny)

I'm curious to find out if the show ever went to air or if the channel realised it wasn't as hot as first thought (even though they hammered the promos for weeks) and dropped it before it happened.

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT
I remember an animated GIF of a black cat jumping onscreen, basically just a black shadow at first with the other features appearing mid jump. I thought it was a great reminder that yes, that is a predator, and not just a little fuzzy cuddly thing.

Have been looking all over but in the sheer volume of cat content on the internet had no luck. I saw it on these here forums though.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Nope, but I think I may have found it: Motorhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNlYAiHQIUw

The cars are not as round as I remember, but then again what is?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

burexas.irom posted:

Nope, but I think I may have found it: Motorhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNlYAiHQIUw

The cars are not as round as I remember, but then again what is?

Dang, that song is a total banger

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Must have had one of those fancy 486dx4/100s to play that

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
You know those old Usborne books, 1000 first words in Spanish and that sort of thing?

As a child in the 80s I had one that was either Usborne or the illustrations were the same. Lots of tiny detail and very cartoony. In this book, on every page, there was a small dog somewhere in the scene. I think it was a black and white dog - but maybe it was tan.

Generally each illustration was of some thing that was typical of a particular region in Europe.

I think there was an illustration of a canal and a long boat going down it, for example. And the small dog was on it.

Or maybe I'm conflating a whole bunch of things. Eventually you find everything and the nostalgia well starts to dry up.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if i had a CD or floppy disk in the mid 90s full of DOS games that were lovely like a temple puzzle game or one set in Rome, what was it or whatever. and where did i get it....

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I've been trying to find a short story about a designer of extremely complex and artsy roller coasters whose works turn more horrific in response to their audience's rejection of a much more personal piece. Read it once and never forgot it, but never got the name of the story or the author and have found it ungoogleable thus far.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

huh posted:

You know those old Usborne books, 1000 first words in Spanish and that sort of thing?

As a child in the 80s I had one that was either Usborne or the illustrations were the same. Lots of tiny detail and very cartoony. In this book, on every page, there was a small dog somewhere in the scene. I think it was a black and white dog - but maybe it was tan.

Generally each illustration was of some thing that was typical of a particular region in Europe.

I think there was an illustration of a canal and a long boat going down it, for example. And the small dog was on it.

Or maybe I'm conflating a whole bunch of things. Eventually you find everything and the nostalgia well starts to dry up.

I think you are conflating some things, because I specifically remember those Usborne picture dictionaries and it was a little yellow duck hidden in every scene. The illustrator was Stephen Cartwright.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lpzie posted:

if i had a CD or floppy disk in the mid 90s full of DOS games that were lovely like a temple puzzle game or one set in Rome, what was it or whatever. and where did i get it....

Good luck digging through the Shovelware archives!

http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think you are conflating some things, because I specifically remember those Usborne picture dictionaries and it was a little yellow duck hidden in every scene. The illustrator was Stephen Cartwright.
I have a couple of those dictionaries and can confirm. It was on the strength of those that we picked up a board book (something about farms or tractors) for my son when he was a baby that was also illustrated by Stephen Cartwright and also included a little yellow duck on every page. :3:

If you're sure about the "scenes of Europe" part, see what else Cartwright did. Maybe there's something in his portfolio that hits that spot. I'll check my books for that canal scene, too.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I can't seem to find an old music video / song. I can't remember the title of it and all of my searches have turned up nothing.
What I am looking for is a happy hardcore video focusing on a massive piece of Earth digging machinery but it's like a laser cannon or something protecting the Earth in the lyrics to the song.

TIA if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

frogge posted:

I can't seem to find an old music video / song. I can't remember the title of it and all of my searches have turned up nothing.
What I am looking for is a happy hardcore video focusing on a massive piece of Earth digging machinery but it's like a laser cannon or something protecting the Earth in the lyrics to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

frogge posted:

https://youtu.be/azEvfD4C6ow

E: GODDAMMIT THE ONE TIME I KNOW A THING

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yes that's it. Thanks to both of you!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I havwnt thought about rathergood.com in a very long time. Not one of those flash era sites that holds up on adult reinspection. The only good thing was the clip from I Can't Stop Raving (album mix) stolen for Tales of the Blode.
Fake edit: apparently he is still making new stuff as of a year ago wtf

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 1, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I never liked Rathergood in the first place, but I still have the occasional urge to rewatch some Weebls-Stuff videos on loop (speaking of new stuff, he just made a 5th Magical Trevor last year; truly a pandemic renaissance for flash video creators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BrW-y_Rws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au3-hk-pXsM
Back back! Back from his maaagical journeeeeeyyy

oh no what have I done I want to hear all of the ones I remember now

Though "Strawberry Pancakes" does lose a lot when it can no longer continually decrement the counter until you get the Easter egg after untold hours of watching the murder

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arbite posted:

Years back in I believe the ask/tell Military History thread someone posted a hilarious excerpt from a work of fiction where two characters are having a conversation when out of nowhere one of them says something like:

A) "Yes, and (Braxton Bragg, I think it was) lost the war singlehandedly."

B) "That is most unfair to (Bragg).

A) "Now back to my earlier point."

B) "No wait, now we need to talk about (Bragg)."

And it goes on for a bit.

zoux posted:

It was Dog of the South by Charles Portis

If anyone was curious.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

E: GODDAMMIT THE ONE TIME I KNOW A THING

If it makes you feel any better I haven't gotten one in a while and that's devastating

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

jkk posted:

Japanese dudes in suits sounds like World Order but I don't really know their music super well.

hey i found it and then uploaded it and got a copyright strike and i disputed and the rights holder allowed it to be posted. I wrote the video description before that happened tho lol

anyway it is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKrBPNLPyf0

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

If it makes you feel any better I haven't gotten one in a while and that's devastating

It does, but regardless :jail:

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
Not quite the same but I could use some help identifying a sticker I saw on the back of a freight truck today. I’ve got an awful blurry photo below but it probably won’t help much. Looked like a guy in a black coat next to a black and white tiger, and to the left of it was some writing in a non-latin script. Long letters with a lot of “tails.”

Blurry image

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it says smoke weed eat rear end

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lpzie posted:

it says smoke weed eat rear end

In elvish Tengwar script

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
Well then next step is telling me where to buy it!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Senator Chuckles posted:

Well then next step is telling me where to buy it!

No one can just eat rear end in Mordor.

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Awful CompSloth posted:

A book that was a collection of creepy stories for kids that I read in elementary school so sometime in the mid to late 2000's. The only stories I remember from it are one about this kid who attends a school for wizards or something, and at the end he finds that when they graduate the creepy floating hand that's the principal of the school is going to snatch the last kid in line to keep forever. The kid solves this by telling the hand that there's one more kid behind him, and has the hand grab his shadow to keep forever. Another story is about someone who makes a violin or something out of a special wood and he becomes cursed and dies or something, I forgot.

I just read through this whole thread, and I was trying to find my own white whale, and I think I found this for you! It's probably More Bones. A reviewer summarized these stories that match yours:

quote:

The Shaggy Gray Arm (Iceland): bit longer 5-7 minutes kid goes to magic school, shaggy gray arm opens door, feeds them and gives them books, he studies for seven years and when he is ready to leave, he hears the shaggy gray arm will snatch the last in line and keep him there. Kid thinks he outsmarts the arm and it grabs only his shadow, now people will think he is a demon? Not sure about this one or what it means

The Haunted violin (Germany): short 3-5 minutes magician is dying and tells carpenter to make his coffin out of a tree near his home and make nothing else from it. It is good wood and the carpenter makes a violin out of the leftover wood, he plays the violin and dies in quicksand. Not sure why.

The book that I'm looking for is one I read in the late 90s/early 00s, also a collection of scary short stories. I remember it looking kind of cheap - the cover was a brightly-colored illustration, not the kind I see on most of the ones I'm looking at that are dark and gothic. I don't think it had any notable names attached (i.e. Bruce Coville). I think it had 7-10 stories in it. The ones I remember are:

- The scariest one, that kept me up that night. Two siblings buy some kind of silly-putty type stuff, with a packet of directions. They read the directions backwards for some reason, and the goo expands to fill up their whole house. I remember the ending was their parents coming home from a date night and the main character tries to warn them, but can't (maybe the goo has turned out the lights?)

- A character travels to the Amazon for some reason (her older brother is maybe involved?). She falls into a river with piranha, and thinks she'll be okay because they only attack when they smell blood. Then the ending is her remembering a tiny cut she got earlier that day.

- A third story I barely remember, something about a summer camp where one camper has to do something (cross a long bridge? climb up a hill?). The gist of the story was that the counselors are essentially sacrificing a camper for some reason, and the main character realizes this and then gets got by whatever they're sacrificing her to. I feel like this bridge or hill or whatever might be what's on the cover.

Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013
The name of a late 80's, early 90's tv show that featured an elephant, that really loved peanuts. It was on either before or after Eureeka's Castle. I believe that it was also a puppet type show, like EC. They had a promotional item in the stores of either a elephant shaped peanut butter jar, or a tub of peanut butter featuring the characters from the show. My daughter is almost 3 and i've been excitedly introducing her to the shows i grew up with. Any help would be appreciated with the name of the show, bonus points if you can find the promo item i was talking about. I sure would love to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It wouldn't be Sharon, Lois, and Bram's 'The Elephant Show', would it? Peanut butter featured heavily in one of the recurring songs and it was on Nickelodeon in reruns well into the 90s.