Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

landgrabber posted:

when i had to use ASIO 4 ALL, when i had an art usb dual pre before i had a focusrite, if i had an ASIO application open, i could only get audio from that application. so if i wanted to noodle in an amp sim, i couldn't listen to a podcast. that poo poo sucked
That's often a sign sample rate in the amp sim and in the windows settings don't match. Some interfaces can't handle that. It would likely just have been a matter of adjusting the windows setting to get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a good midi keyboard with midi that doesn't cost a lot

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

pieuvre armement posted:

What's a good midi keyboard with midi that doesn't cost a lot

How many keys do you want, and do you want full-sized or mini keys, and do you care about whether it integrates well with any particular DAW or if it has built-in features like an arpeggiator and/or sequencer, and how much is a lot?

Without any of that, how about the Arturia Keystep, which is $149 new for the 32 key version and $199 new for the 37 key version, and which has minikeys that feel pretty good, and generally solid construction, and MIDI DIN, and nice arp and sequencer functionality. I have the 32-key one, which is perfectly good except for having mini-USB, which is a pain. the 37-key version has a USB-B jack, which is much better.

If you don't mind something smaller, there's the Novation Launchkey MK3 which has a mini version (25 keys) for $109 and some interesting looking Ableton integration and pads and encoders. But I believe MIDI-out there is with one of those TRS to MIDI adapters, though -- the non-mini MK3s have a regular DIN out.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want basically an alesis q49 from before they took out the midi whats the current version of that. I rather not have all the extra buttons and stuff honestly

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

pieuvre armement posted:

I want basically an alesis q49 from before they took out the midi whats the current version of that. I rather not have all the extra buttons and stuff honestly

I have an old, beat VI49 which has MIDI out, which was like $120 or so used at Guitar Center when I picked it up. New ones seem to be about $230 (which is the same price as the Alesis q88, which looks like it still has the MIDI out). Looks like the Alesis V models don't have MIDI DIN at all. M-Audio makes a Keystation in the 61-key range for I think around $200 that as DIN out, but I think anything smaller in that line doesn't have the MIDI out.

So, maybe the Q88?

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Q88 looks great but it's a little more than I'm looking for in terms of size and cost... the midiplus x4 looks about right but seems like it could be crappy. Arturia keystep is another one I'm considering, it seems to have a decent reputation but it's a little pricey and only 32 keys. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places but it seems like there is a gap in the market for solid mid size midi keyboards with midi

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I think we are looking for almost the exact same thing so I'm going to butt in :justpost:

First question: do I really need a MIDI DIN output? I do have an audio interface with MIDI input (Presonus Audiobox USB 96 that I picked up cheap on eBay). What is the benefit of hooking up via DIN to the interface instead of USB to the computer? My understanding is that latency is all on the playback side. Assuming I am always at a computer when recording, is USB good enough?

McCoy Pauley posted:

How many keys do you want, and do you want full-sized or mini keys, and do you care about whether it integrates well with any particular DAW or if it has built-in features like an arpeggiator and/or sequencer, and how much is a lot?

I'll answer these:
Full-size keys strongly preferred
DAW integration - DAW-agnostic but I am a Linux nerd so Reaper will probably be the first one I try
Sequencer/arpeggiator - sounds fun but probably not something I'll need on babby's first keyboard
How much is a lot - about $200 but less is nice! This is for learning some theory and messing around, if I get serious I'll pick up a digital piano and take lessons after I move later this year

If I don't need a MIDI DIN I like what I've read about the M-Audio Keystation 49 or the M-Audio Oxygen IV. Or the Alesis Q49 I guess (which looks just like the Keystation 49 with a different logo on it).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The only reason you'd need din midi is if you have external gear that you want to play without having a computer involved. There's no benefit over using it instead of usb when connecting it to a computer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I'm running out of space in my bedroom to keep my recording equipment. Anyone have any good recommendations regarding shelving oriented towards music? Particularly for racking synths and keyboards?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Flipperwaldt posted:

The only reason you'd need din midi is if you have external gear that you want to play without having a computer involved. There's no benefit over using it instead of usb when connecting it to a computer.

Neat, that's the exact answer I was looking (and hoping) for since, as pieuvre armement noted, the MIDI port seems to be one of the things that gets cut around the $250 price point.

I also need a mic. Uses will primarily be spoken word at first but I do plan to take vocal (singing) lessons at some point soonish. I was going to pick up a Sennheiser 835 because it seems like the kind of thing that will always be useful to have around, and probably good enough to learn on.

That said, my local Guitar Center has a used CAD GXL2200BP (with shock mount) for $30. Seems to go for ~$100 online with OK but not stellar reviews at that price point. Screaming deal or too good to be true? (e2: appears to be going rate, but it looks from the picture like it's the moddable version and I'm a sucker for that poo poo so I'll risk $30 and sell if if I don't like it)

Now suppose I was willing to go up to $150-ish. AT2035 or a used Rode S1 for $180?

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 28, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Got kind of a weird question. My mom has me recording her books to self-publish on audible, and she wanted to do corrections on some lines she thinks she flubbed. We did them, but since I'm just a guy with a decent mic and we were in her dining room, the two pieces have wildly different echo/room tone, due to date, wind, tiredness of reader, etc etc.

Example.

An in-Audacity solution would be best, and even a suggestion like "add .1s echo w/ .1s decay and see if that sounds closer" which involves loving around with it a bit manually isn't the worst, I've only got about 20 of these corrections so if they take 2-3m each it's not the end of the world

I already tried getting some "old recording room tone" and playing that behind the new audio, didn't really help. Reducing the amplitude helped a little, but it's still just so *different* sounding

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shrecknet posted:

Got kind of a weird question. My mom has me recording her books to self-publish on audible, and she wanted to do corrections on some lines she thinks she flubbed. We did them, but since I'm just a guy with a decent mic and we were in her dining room, the two pieces have wildly different echo/room tone, due to date, wind, tiredness of reader, etc etc.

Example.

An in-Audacity solution would be best, and even a suggestion like "add .1s echo w/ .1s decay and see if that sounds closer" which involves loving around with it a bit manually isn't the worst, I've only got about 20 of these corrections so if they take 2-3m each it's not the end of the world

I already tried getting some "old recording room tone" and playing that behind the new audio, didn't really help. Reducing the amplitude helped a little, but it's still just so *different* sounding

I could see it being done in a music setting where everything is being mixed in with other tracks, but for spoken word it’s gonna be a hell of an uphill battle, and it will never sound right

it’s like asking a photographer to edit a dead family member into somebody’s wedding photos, and also please only use Lightroom to do it

I really hate to say it but your best bet by like an order of magnitude is to re-record it and get good, consistent audio. Ideally use some kind of sound booth (even like a door or changing screen with a quilt draped over it). If you can’t re-record all of it then try to re-record the sections/chapters around the bits that are weird or “off” so there’s more consistency there.

Ironically that will sound better to a listener. Like I’d rather listen to an audiobook where Chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 sound different from Chapters 3, 6, 8, and 9 (or even just passages/sub-chapters within those chapters) than one where everything sounds mostly the same except for jarring moments in Chapters 3, 6, 8, and 9 where somebody tried to match the audio on individual lines using the built-in features of Audacity.

Even if you don’t smooth out the transitions between those different chunks at all, it’ll still sound a lot better than cutting/pasting mismatched line dubs

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 30, 2021

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are the different takes in that one snippet? Because I can't hear a difference.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Are the different takes in that one snippet? Because I can't hear a difference.
yeah, it's a clip with the first half being original, the second half being from a different recording session. I ended up playing with the Amplify tool and just dropping the newer, crisper recording a step below the old one, then using a Saturation tool to kind-of muddy it up so it matched. I at least had the foresight to have her record whole sentences when she wanted to change one word's pronunciation so that it's far less jarring.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Not a recording question specifically, but I like to play through my interface through amp sims, and they are super noisy playing any metal with gain. I don't understand this stuff good enough to describe it, but it sort of sounds like feedback I'd say. Although I don't think it's that because plugging in headphones doesn't fix it(I assume that would stop it but I dunno). I can also turn a noise gate up, and that'll make it silent when I'm not playing, but I can hear the "static" through my playing a lot of the time. So far I've tried updating my Scarlett interfaces drivers, as well as messing with different sample rates and buffer sizes. The only thing I can think of right now might be the weird way I have my monitors hooked up. I don't have a 1/4" speaker cable to run to each speaker yet, so my speakers have those red and white unbalanced cables going into a single 1/8th " jack which is plugged into a 1/4" adapter plugged into one of the outputs in the back. Maybe once I get my speaker cables and can hook them up properly that will help. I figure some noise is inevitable with gain but this seems excessive. It also happens on both of my guitar cables, so I'm not sure if both of those are bad.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

apologies for this question cause i'm sure it's asked twice a week or so, but what are the best headphones to get if i don't have enough room for monitors? currently have HD 650s but they're not very neutral at all

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've done a lot of recording with headphones over the years and it always comes down to experience with them and understanding how their presentation will transfer. You're going to have a much harder time assessing some things about your mix without the phasey reality of stereo speakers doing their thing, though, make sure you're at least hearing what you're working with in the car and stuff like that if you can, and of course you'll need to watch your phase correlation and metering carefully.

That said, I would not want to use my HD-650 for mixing - some do, certainly they have a sufficiently analytical sound in terms of can they reproduce the right frequencies without serious distortions, but I just personally prefer a brighter headphone for mixing where it feels like I'm closer to the treble. I like AKG's K701 cans for this purpose, and of them I like the Quincy Jones Q701 ones because that's a slick green. They were only like $250 when I bought them in 2011, now the poo poo is like $370. I dunno, they sound great and have been very useful, but that's getting up there in price!

Beyerdynamic makes top notch cans too - check the DT-880 for an alternative to the aforementioned, good presentation across all frequencies. Around $220 I reckon. Ooh, hey, if you need a better look at the low frequencies, consider DT-770 Pro from Beyer, which by way of comparison were $169 when I bought them in 2011, and are only $157 now. That's more like it. A note, though, I got DT-880 and DT-770 Pro on the same day in 2011, and the DT-880 died after about 3 years. DT-770 still going very strong now. I expect whatever is wrong with the DT-880 would be a quick fix electronically speaking, I just haven't ever got around to doing it.

Of all the headphones I mention in this post, I use the Q701 and DT-770 Pro the most, both for pleasure listening and for working with audio (I recommend using your monitoring setup for general use, whatever it is, as you need to know how your equipment sounds with diverse material and that takes time). I did use the DT-880 heavily and at one time they were my favorite sounding headphone. That did change when they stopped making sound, but only this pair, I bet the others are still great :D

---

DDD, you could be dealing with noise from a ground loop which does become more likely if you're doing weird poo poo with adapters. But, I am doing weird poo poo with adapters too at this time, and have no issues, because the house's wiring isn't problematic for this purpose and I am recording 4-6 feet away from EMI noise sources. At my old place I had to get an ISP Decimator G-String 2 and run all my FX in a noise reduction loop, because if I didn't, impossible to get rid of a buzz. And of course that will still change your sound, no way to get around having the noise contribute to your final sound when it's high relative to signal. But, I recorded a lot of stuff with that janky rear end wiring and you can't tell listening to them, thanks ISP I guess.

Nonetheless, it's been tremendous just not having to worry about that and I encourage you to seek to eliminate the source of whatever this noise is, if at all possible, though it may be difficult to hunt down. It likely isn't going to be related to your drivers, it sounds electrical in nature from what you have described.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

apologies for this question cause i'm sure it's asked twice a week or so, but what are the best headphones to get if i don't have enough room for monitors? currently have HD 650s but they're not very neutral at all

Neutrality matters less than familiarity. If you know how your mixes are going to translate you can mix on anything. Mix your poo poo, then listen to it on a few other sources. I think you'll find Sennheiser 650s are totally fine to mix on.

Nothing wrong with wanting to try some others, and Agreed's post is full of solid recs. I also like the AKG 270 for a cheapie, and I really like the Audio Technica ATHM50 series too.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i also really enjoy sony mdr-7506, but tbh that's more to do with comfortability. literally everyone i've ever met who does location sound uses them because they are super easy to wear all day long and sound pretty decent.

i'm seconding the idea that it's much more about familiarity than a perfectly flat response, so just make sure to listen to lots of reference tracks and take frequent breaks. i've noticed that for me, ear fatigue sets in waaay quicker if i'm mixing on headphones.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

Super happy with my DT-770s for mixing and general listening.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
yeah i'd like to second DT-770s as well, have had them for almost 8 years now. hands down the best pair of headphones i've ever owned - super reliable and really convenient in addition to sounding great, imo

dk if they're neutral enough for your purposes but at the very least they seem to be much more, uh, honest in how they translate lowers and lower-mid frequencies, in my experience, at least compared to quite a few of other headphones i've tried over the years (mostly various akgs and sennheisers borrowed from friends or available in studios and such). though this might be me being more familiar with them, of course, so your mileage may vary and all that

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Shrecknet posted:

Example.

I couldn't tell the difference between the two lines on regular speakers and headphones. It could be the difference is only be apparent to people listening on monitors with mixing experience. I notice these edits sometimes on podcasts I listen to, but it never really bothers me. And you did a better job matching the two takes than those podcasts.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

so is there like.... grey market DAWs?

asking for a friend, who wants to know if there is a grey market... for say... ableton.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I don't want to moralize at you but go use Reaper for free for a long time and then pay for it out of a sense of obligation if you start actually making money at whatever it is you're dicking around with in there maybe

This ain't 2001, file sharing is kinda frowned upon not for the least of which reason because of the associated liabilities you know?

I hope you make good music friend

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Agreed with Agreed.

Also, if you're interested in Ableton, and presumably don't have it, codes for Live Lite are available all over the place -- they come packaged with so much music gear, people often have codes to spare. Splice was giving away copies for a long time -- that promotion might have ended. There were (and maybe still are) some iOS apps that were pretty cheap and get you a Live Lite license. There's lots of legit ways to try out Ableton.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Agreed posted:

I don't want to moralize at you but go use Reaper for free for a long time and then pay for it out of a sense of obligation if you start actually making money at whatever it is you're dicking around with in there maybe

This ain't 2001, file sharing is kinda frowned upon not for the least of which reason because of the associated liabilities you know?

I hope you make good music friend

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

legit not trying to backpeddle here, but didn't know if there was a market like how there is for discounted windows/office/adobe keys.

sounds like i got my answer, thanks :v:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Too Many Birds posted:

legit not trying to backpeddle here, but didn't know if there was a market like how there is for discounted windows/office/adobe keys.

sounds like i got my answer, thanks :v:

Do you have any interest in a Live Lite key? I probably have a few floating around from various Novation gear.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

nah, i got 2 today from the scarlett and alesis i picked up :v:

i've still got lite 8 installed on my PC from years ago, which came with EQ 8. Something i see they removed with lite 10. So I'm failing to see why i should upgrade unless lite 10 has some must have features.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Lite 10 has some great improvements to Simpler and some other bits too. When I tried it after having last used 8 I was impressed how much had changed for the better.
There's plenty of free decent eq vsts out there if you feel EQ8 is essential to your workflow

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I just became a patchbay guy and while it has made my multi-instrumental life easier, figuring out what works is a pain in the rear end. I am only using it for three preamps, a Behringer compressor and a RNC compressor so it's straightforward. The only thing i would add is an EQ. It all goes out into a Tascam SD24.

So far I've found that 2' cords in the style of an instrument cable is a pain in the rear end and will be almost too short if you have a regular sized tray. I made it work but it is really messy behind the equipment because I have to do it all from the front so it's plug everything in and then shove it in. So I am trying out an 8-channel monoprice 3' snake to get it organized better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

NonzeroCircle posted:

Lite 10 has some great improvements to Simpler and some other bits too. When I tried it after having last used 8 I was impressed how much had changed for the better.
There's plenty of free decent eq vsts out there if you feel EQ8 is essential to your workflow

word, good enough, i'll give it a spin.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you have a licence for it anyway it can't hurt :)
Seriously though, upgraded Simpler is a godsend.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
I'm thinking about getting a small mixer to be able to easily have a few instruments hooked up to a looper pedal to mess around with looping, so that I could have, say, a guitar, bass, mic, digital piano, and Digitone all running into the inputs of the looper at the same time, rather than plugging and unplugging things as needed. Anyone have any thoughts on something small and basic -- like 6-10 channels -- that would work for this use case and not sound terrible? Like maybe the Yamaha MG line, or Berhinger Xenyx, or something similar? I don't particularly need it to be an audio interface, as I have that -- this would be for fooling around with a looper when I'm not using my whole computer/DAW/interface set up.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I understand Behringer is doing cool stuff with synths lately, but I've had bad experiences with their pro audio equipment in general. Like, a number of bad experiences, which eventually did lead me to just stop ever giving them any more chances. For what it is worth however I also had a set of Behringer Truth monitors that made it 4-5 years of use and a subwoofer that lasted like 7 years with no issues, so it's not like they can't ever get a decent thing out the door, I just got sick of having this or that little part go out on gear because everything was so tuned for low costs.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I have a Xenyx 802 that gets used nearly everyday and I've never had an issue with it. It was given to me for free by a friend trying to shed possessions before moving overseas. I'm not sure if I would've gone with a Behringer otherwise, but it's the only frame of reference I have.

The 802 wouldn't have enough independent channels, but they make a 1002 which has six channels. If you put the looper in the FX send, you can use five channels for the five instruments listed and the sixth for the FX return (the 802 has a dedicated FX return, but a cursory search has people saying you just have to give up an input of your choosing). This would also allow you to use the headphones and main outs on the mixer as intended (or USB if you get that version) without having to worry about the limitations of using the output of the looper as your main out.

They sell for $69 new on Sweetwater for the kind without an FX suite or USB. There's one on Reverb for $50, but with tax and shipping, you aren't going to save yourself anything but the peace of mind not giving Behringer your money. That's probably about the bottom floor for getting the job done. If you want to make it more of an investment, I would bet the equivalent Yamaha or Mackie or whatever would provide that same functionality.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Thank you both. I sort of inherently trust Yamaha more than Mackie or Beringer, but I guess on this I should just start reading some reviews because all three seem to have roughly equivalent offerings in the slightly above/slightly below $100 range, particularly if it's worth taking a shot at an Amazon Warehouse listing.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

NonzeroCircle posted:

Seriously though, upgraded Simpler is a godsend.

dang.

it is way better.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got a drum plug in Spanish suggested me, but I also need a bass plug in, I'm not sure the term. Bass synthesizer? I don't have a real bass so I need to use a plug in to do it is what I'm saying. Are there any decent free ones or ones under 30ish bucks? I can buy a better one in a few weeks, I just wanted one to mess with for now.

I want to try recording some of my music I've got tabbed out in guitar pro. If I can export the guitar pro midi file into the plug in so I don't have to remake my bass lines from scratch, that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've got a drum plug in Spanish suggested me, but I also need a bass plug in, I'm not sure the term. Bass synthesizer? I don't have a real bass so I need to use a plug in to do it is what I'm saying. Are there any decent free ones or ones under 30ish bucks? I can buy a better one in a few weeks, I just wanted one to mess with for now.

I want to try recording some of my music I've got tabbed out in guitar pro. If I can export the guitar pro midi file into the plug in so I don't have to remake my bass lines from scratch, that would be awesome.

A soft synth vst that can serve as your bass. Sure try Dexed and find a bass patch somewhere if there isn't one included. It's all free as in free beer.