Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I guess I am done with my v-safe check ins. They didn't text me yesterday.

The frequency drops off but I just got one today (90 days since second dose).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
29 new cases in Sydney in the last 24 hours and new exposure sites outside the LGAs which are locked down - which is what everyone was worried would happen if the lockdown was only partial.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

1. It's hot but I go outside when its dark to tend to my farm.

2. No.

3. *puffs inhaler?*

4. No.

5. gently caress no they're all maskless and 2/3rds of them refuse to be vaccinated.

6. In between posts I'm writing weird alien romance sex stuff so I mean, I am doing other things.

E: Locally there haven't been hardly any cases of covid being picked up because all testing is basically gone so I guess 31% vaccinated is good enough to applebees after all.

lol yikes

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Covid--19 cases went to the rise in my country once elections ended.
that goes for the goon who thought we had some magical anti-covid Mexican secret.

The secret is called: pretend it's not happening and hope no one notices.

And the delta variant is already here, so welp!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
We're finally getting a real lockdown for the next two weeks. Shame it's happening after people have already contacted Delta here and spread it to other states and countries.

An interesting comment from the premier is that during this outbreak, all household contacts have been contracting the virus.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 26, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The fact that things are no longer declining isn’t great. But over the same five-day period last year the average number of cases had jumped over 30%. It was the beginning of the summer surge in cases, most likely brought about by folks in warmer climates spending more time in air conditioned areas with other people. So the 2% rise we’re seeing now is much better as it means that the seasonal rise is being seriously blunted.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

An interesting comment from the premier is that during this outbreak, all household contacts have been contracting the virus.

I find it crazy that wasn't already the case, though I guess I'm imagining myself and our girlfriend in our one-bedroom apartment rather than, say, a family with aloof teenage kids.

I was pretty shocked when I got tested the other week and was reading the guidelines and it said that household contacts of positive cases who are self isolating do not need to self isolate unless the DHHS says so. Though I guess at that point someone from DHHS is on the phone with you and asking specific questions about your household circumstances and whether someone can leave you food at the door etc.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

How could the numbers drop and stay down with some states numbers looking like this:
did anybody think in any way that this thing fades away with a 40 percent vaccination rate?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Purgatory Glory posted:

How could the numbers drop and stay down with some states numbers looking like this:
did anybody think in any way that this thing fades away with a 40 percent vaccination rate?

They couldn’t. It’s mechanistically impossible. Vaccination rates that low hardly blunt such a contagious pathogen.

People were and are in denial.

Places like Alabama may limp through the summer, but if vaccine uptake doesn’t double, the virus will surge back with a vengeance before long.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

29 new cases in Sydney in the last 24 hours and new exposure sites outside the LGAs which are locked down - which is what everyone was worried would happen if the lockdown was only partial.

That's a big ol' yikes

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1408592352818601987

For comparison, Melbourne had a delta outbreak which started a month ago with 4 cases of community spread detected on March 24 and they put the city into lockdown starting midnight May 27. The restrictions were eased somewhat on June 18 when the number of new infections was brought down to an average about 1 or 2 a day and they were eased even further on the 24th, and this last week we've had an average of about 1 infection a day. So far we've had 108 cases of community spread (2 recent ones came via the Sydney outbreak) and our worst day was May 27 with 12 new cases reported. It seems like the outbreak might be pretty much contained but we're still being vigilant.

Sydney's current outbreak started when 2 cases of community spread were detected on June 16 and ten days later they're already up to 83 cases. They kept arguing all that time that they didn't need a "Melbourne-style" lockdown to bring things under control but whoops, looks like they did after all!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Got my this week and girlfriends turn is on Monday. Feeling pretty invincible rn

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Walk in vaccination centre postcode link, today only all over 18s

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-walk-in-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-site/

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Delta is spreading through France right now and they’ve accelerated the timeline between two doses to get people before the 42day gap between doses.

They want to catch everyone before they go on vacation.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Purgatory Glory posted:

The people in these states don't think it's any big deal to begin with, friend. I know because I live in 44 (and am desperate to get out)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

freebooter posted:

I find it crazy that wasn't already the case, though I guess I'm imagining myself and our girlfriend in our one-bedroom apartment rather than, say, a family with aloof teenage kids.

I was pretty shocked when I got tested the other week and was reading the guidelines and it said that household contacts of positive cases who are self isolating do not need to self isolate unless the DHHS says so. Though I guess at that point someone from DHHS is on the phone with you and asking specific questions about your household circumstances and whether someone can leave you food at the door etc.

I'm afraid I don't have a link to it handy, but I remember reading a study last spring that indicated that household transmission was around 17%. It was much higher between spouses (30%) and much lower between children (7% I think).

I'm not claiming that that study (or my recollection of it) is accurate, but those numbers seem reasonably consistent with the idea of super spreaders being responsible for the majority of cases. If you happen to be living with a super spreader, you're pretty likely to get it. If not, you're pretty unlikely to get it.

Consider this: per Wikipedia the common cold has an R0 of between 2 and 3. Think how often someone in your household has come down with a cold and you haven't caught it. For me that's the case more often than not, and I consider myself to have a pretty lovely immune system.

My point here isn't that Covid isn't as virulent as has been claimed (obviously). It's that our intuitive understanding of how virulence translates into personal risk is deeply flawed. A disease with a 100% transmission rate and a 15% mortality rate would absolutely gently caress the world while still being very unlikely to kill any particular individual.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Big drop off after 4th place, which should be considered a HIGH RISK zone.

Just missed the top ten, woot!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The people in these states don't think it's any big deal to begin with, friend. I know because I live in 44 (and am desperate to get out)

If you're ever in the Athens area Fluffy Bunnies, shoot me a line. While the vaccination rates are still low compared to the national average, almost everyone is still masking up and taking things seriously. I'll be happy to treat you to an outdoor meal at one of our many excellent restaurants.

(I am a Wisconsin boy and also loathe most things about this state, but Athens is legit pretty cool.)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Castaign posted:

I'm afraid I don't have a link to it handy, but I remember reading a study last spring that indicated that household transmission was around 17%. It was much higher between spouses (30%) and much lower between children (7% I think).

I'm not claiming that that study (or my recollection of it) is accurate, but those numbers seem reasonably consistent with the idea of super spreaders being responsible for the majority of cases. If you happen to be living with a super spreader, you're pretty likely to get it. If not, you're pretty unlikely to get it.

Consider this: per Wikipedia the common cold has an R0 of between 2 and 3. Think how often someone in your household has come down with a cold and you haven't caught it. For me that's the case more often than not, and I consider myself to have a pretty lovely immune system.

My point here isn't that Covid isn't as virulent as has been claimed (obviously). It's that our intuitive understanding of how virulence translates into personal risk is deeply flawed. A disease with a 100% transmission rate and a 15% mortality rate would absolutely gently caress the world while still being very unlikely to kill any particular individual.

Yeah this was something that really surprised me. For my toy model of coronavirus cases I spent a lot of time reading studies exploring secondary attack rates in various settings. I was pretty surprised that in most settings that rate was extremely low, like under 10% with many being under 5%. Most of the settings where it was higher were things where you'd be meeting the same person over and over like a household, rather than a casual encounter of some kind.

Edit: For what it's worth, most of the research seems to have been focused on household and/or healthcare settings, but all kinds of settings have been studied. It also seems to be somewhat slow, ponderous research where first you get individual case studies, then someone pools a bunch of those together to make further analysis, then those get pooled together yet again in another project, and it just continues on and on. So most of the useful publications I could find would be using cases from early 2020.

Here's one analysis that pools a lot of studies on secondary attack rate.
https://jidc.org/index.php/journal/article/view/33378276/2411

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 26, 2021

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Alright so if anyone cares, I’ve decided not to hang out with my vaccinated friends and their kids.

I’m just not comfortable enough yet to willingly spend long periods of time with unvaccinated individuals regardless of mask use.

I also have to consider the fact that my vaccinated elderly family members want to see me, and I want to protect them too. There’s simply less risk of infecting them if I stick to my rule of only visiting vaccinated people.

Cases are indeed dropping where I live, but delta could change that in the coming weeks. For the sake of myself, the kids, and my elderly family members, it’s too soon for me to take that step. Thankfully FaceTime exists so that’ll do for now.

Thanks all for your input.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The Guardian is currently running with the headline Covid Sweeps Australia.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lolie posted:

I think Australia will get em next series.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

For the interest of non-Australians, we've had three separate issues today and yesterday which led to the following simultaneous situations:

- A growing cluster in Sydney from an air crew infection, with Sydney going into belated lockdown, but not before an infected woman had flown to Perth and potentially sparked a cluster there; Perth now in semi-lockdown
- A few cases in Brisbane which seem to have resurfaced from an earlier outbreak
- A guy who caught it in hotel quarantine in Brisbane (which he was required to do because he was departing Victoria, which had an outbreak at the time) before going to work on a remote mine site in the NT, and during his infectious period 900 other workers have departed the mine and dispersed throughout the country, which has led to cases in Darwin (now in lockdown) and a regional town in New South Wales, and god knows where else they'll crop up in the coming weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...s-exposure-site

I've lost count of how many leaks we've had from hotel quarantine in the past 12 months, and we've now also had multiple occasions of people catching COVID within the hotels from other quarantinees. (You'd be loving livid.) The slow vaccine rollout is obviously an issue, but even more so is the federal government's continued refusal to fund purpose-built quarantine facilities instead of shoving people into city hotels because that also serves as a convenient financial bailout for the hotel industry.

It's also an illustration of how completely the federal government has washed its hands of taking responsibility for anything. I have never in my life more regularly seen state premiers at press conferences than I have over the past 18 months, and I rarely if ever see the prime minister or the health minister at all. And I work in news media.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Sydney had another 30 cases reported today on top of the 29 reported yesterday, everyone is making GBS threads bricks up there because this is obviously just the start of a long drawn-out outbreak. Sky News has already turned their backs on the premier and are whining about her "change of face" on lockdowns LOL

Perth is back under restrictions after a woman who had visited Sydney popped positive
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-27/wa-covid-explainer-what-you-can-and-can-t-do-under-phase-one/100247638

Queensland has a small ongoing outbreak but they haven't gone into lockdown yet
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-27/queensland-coronavirus-case-community/100246664

NT has a 48 hour snap lockdown in the greater Darwin area with a breakout of 5 cases
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-27/darwin-into-snap-lockdown-nt-four-coronavirus-cases/100247354

Victoria had zero new cases of community spread today but are still under some restrictions, Tasmania and SA have closed their borders to all those other states.

People in Canberra have just been ordered to wear facemasks on public transport and indoors (shops, cafes, gyms, etc) for the first time since the pandemic begun
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-27/act-introduces-mandatory-mask-wearing/100247780

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

For the interest of non-Australians, we've had three separate issues today and yesterday which led to the following simultaneous situations:

- A growing cluster in Sydney from an air crew infection, with Sydney going into belated lockdown, but not before an infected woman had flown to Perth and potentially sparked a cluster there; Perth now in semi-lockdown
- A few cases in Brisbane which seem to have resurfaced from an earlier outbreak
- A guy who caught it in hotel quarantine in Brisbane (which he was required to do because he was departing Victoria, which had an outbreak at the time) before going to work on a remote mine site in the NT, and during his infectious period 900 other workers have departed the mine and dispersed throughout the country, which has led to cases in Darwin (now in lockdown) and a regional town in New South Wales, and god knows where else they'll crop up in the coming weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...s-exposure-site

I've lost count of how many leaks we've had from hotel quarantine in the past 12 months, and we've now also had multiple occasions of people catching COVID within the hotels from other quarantinees. (You'd be loving livid.) The slow vaccine rollout is obviously an issue, but even more so is the federal government's continued refusal to fund purpose-built quarantine facilities instead of shoving people into city hotels because that also serves as a convenient financial bailout for the hotel industry.

It's also an illustration of how completely the federal government has washed its hands of taking responsibility for anything. I have never in my life more regularly seen state premiers at press conferences than I have over the past 18 months, and I rarely if ever see the prime minister or the health minister at all. And I work in news media.

The Conversation was reporting a few weeks ago that since November we’ve averaged one breach of hotel quarantine every 11 days. They say it’s 99.5% effective or whatever but when thousands of people are going through quarantine each week you start to run out of luck in a hurry.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

Ah, the Trump playbook. Do everything you can to push the response onto the states, then you can act like the response doesn’t belong to you if it’s not going well.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
re: Australia, I hope this gets people over their complacency about getting vaccinated, poo poo is not going to just disappear

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Pyrtanis posted:

re: Australia, I hope this gets people over their complacency about getting vaccinated, poo poo is not going to just disappear

A major challenge is that many of the people who want it are still inelegible. Many people under 40 can't get it yet, even if they wanted, because of supply constraints on Pfizer. Then, many of those who are eligible are forced to get AZ due to it being for 60+ and there's a heap of hesitancy there. The Commonwealth really cocked this one up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pyrtanis posted:

It'll be interesting to see if vaxx numbers increase significantly in Sydney now that they've got an outbreak scare. Numbers surged in Vic in the first two weeks of the outbreak which started a month ago but dipped back again sharply when infection numbers were brought under control and the restrictions were relaxed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dren posted:

Ah, the Trump playbook. Do everything you can to push the response onto the states, then you can act like the response doesn’t belong to you if it’s not going well.

I strongly suspect that the federal government wanted a low-key suppression/mitigation strategy, but a majority of the premiers pushed for a New Zealand style elimination strategy in the closed-door National Cabinet meetings, and the compromise was our weaselly-worded policy goal of "no community transmission" which obviously means the same thing but wasn't adopted until June 2020.

It's sort of like our climate change policy. The federal government refuses to agree to net zero by 2050 - but every single state and territory already has, which by default is the same thing, and means the PM's opinion on the matter isn't worth a rat's arse.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
National Security Committee is meeting today. The number of Pfizer doses being made available to the states is being increased.

I don't think anyone really trusts the federal government to take over the handling of the latest outbreaks from the states, but the possibility that federal laws are going to be invoked is real

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I debated whether I was being an entitled dipshit for choosing to wait for an mRNA shot over a second AZ one, then my invitation to register for Pfizer/Moderna came in offering me a time slot a week earlier than I would’ve gotten by not waiting.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lolie posted:

National Security Committee is meeting today. The number of Pfizer doses being made available to the states is being increased.

I don't think anyone really trusts the federal government to take over the handling of the latest outbreaks from the states, but the possibility that federal laws are going to be invoked is real

I don’t know what releasing extra doses is going to achieve when those doses don’t actually exist

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

From this morning's NYTimes newsletter. The bad news: counties where people aren't getting vaccinated are seeing higher cases. The good: the vaccine is very good (significantly more effective than wearing a mask) and cases are continuing to drop in areas where the majority of people are vaccinated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

cases are continuing to drop in areas where the majority of people are vaccinated.

the very bad: the dumb fuckers who won't get vaccinated can still infect those traveling to the good areas.

I dunno who said it but really, free pizza probably would get half of the idiots around here vaccinated, at least.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I don't think free anything is going to convince many of the holdouts.

People are dumb and selfish. There's still a major part of the US population that thinks the vaccine either magnetizes you, sterilizes you, or sends you to Hell. Unless they are personally affected by covid, that won't change. Even then, it still might not.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
these holdouts are doing absolutely nothing in even the general direction of vaccination

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Positive news this morning

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/28/health/coronavirus-vaccines-immunity.html

quote:

The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, scientists reported on Monday.

The findings add to growing evidence that most people immunized with the mRNA vaccines may not need boosters, so long as the virus and its variants do not evolve much beyond their current forms — which is not guaranteed. People who recovered from Covid-19 before being vaccinated may not need boosters even if the virus does make a significant transformation.

“It’s a good sign for how durable our immunity is from this vaccine,” said Ali Ellebedy, an immunologist at Washington University in St. Louis who led the study, which was published in the journal Nature.

The study did not consider the coronavirus vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson, but Dr. Ellebedy said he expected the immune response to be less durable than that produced by mRNA vaccines.

Also:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1409506884843880456?s=21

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Miracle drugs. Absolutely amazing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

the very bad: the dumb fuckers who won't get vaccinated can still infect those traveling to the good areas.

I dunno who said it but really, free pizza probably would get half of the idiots around here vaccinated, at least.

People from the less vaccinated areas are traveling to areas that are more vaccinated areas (and vice-versa). Still, a high amount of vaccination among the population is doing what was expected and severely slowing transmission in those communities, thus making even unvaccinated people in those areas safer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

How are u posted:

Miracle drugs. Absolutely amazing.
Honestly I don't get why the scientists who developed them aren't being treated like astronauts in the '60s. I don't think I've ever even seen an interview.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly I don't get why the scientists who developed them aren't being treated like astronauts in the '60s. I don't think I've ever even seen an interview.

Considering the antivaxx loonies out there, I bet they have good reason to not give any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think many loons would/could travel to Germany when Fauci is right here and not remotely shy