Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

euphronius posted:

it definitely started IN PART to get some space for leftists to post away from liberals. as far as I remember it. it was a long time ago

That always seemed like a side-effect of people being able to create threads easily in early YCS and c-spam. That combined with hillary posters not re-regging, conservative posters continuing to out themselves as horrible reprehensible bigots, and the general impact of hell world on everyone you'd get a leftward movement in a controlled space like this.

Early IKs were posters like baloogan, boosted_c5, and fishmech. Bastions of leftism they are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

That always seemed like a side-effect of people being able to create threads easily in early YCS and c-spam. That combined with hillary posters not re-regging, conservative posters continuing to out themselves as horrible reprehensible bigots, and the general impact of hell world on everyone you'd get a leftward movement in a controlled space like this.

Early IKs were posters like baloogan, boosted_c5, and fishmech. Bastions of leftism they are not.

good points

I def misremembered

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shine posted:

I personally had only experienced C-SPAM thus far through clearing the report forum and skimming QCS, which is, like, the worst way to get to know any forum. Taking those two extremely biased samples at face value, I'd be like "so is this a forum where white people will call me a traitor to Black America because I'm lightskinned, or some poo poo?" and that's not fair to C-SPAM. Hearing people talk about why C-SPAM is important to them has been an endearing experience.

I'm not sure I have the time to get all that engrossed here (I'm more of a "help with behind-the-scenes poo poo" admin and I barely have time to keep up with threads I love in other forums) but I will probably at least bookmark the fitness thread.

I’d bet you a nice chunk of change most of those reports are from people who don’t post in cspam but hate read it obsessively

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shine posted:

Hello, I am here now to take all credit/scorn for what has been entirely Athanatos' chats with y'all while I was working, sleeping, sleeping in, doing my ASL lesson*, running errands, and deadlifting things. I probably won't a ton to say unless I'm directly asked something, as I'm generally more a lurker admin than a :words: admin (sup Ath), but I am reading the conversations.

I appreciate the topic of "what should mods do here?" being addressed by the community. C-SPAM gets shitloads of reports (not D&D levels, but way more than, say, Games or GBS), many of which are for things like "posting bad opinions," but I've always understood this to be a relaxed rules forum where people are encouraged to post at each other about stuff and only use buttons for slurs or spamming or whatever, so hearing feedback about what y'all want a mod to do is hella useful. I'd encourage anybody else reading to add to this conversation.

I will be around this evening. Thanks for having us!

*If anybody else is a new ASL student and wants a practice partner, holler.

what program you runnin, 5/3/1 or have you outgrown it? you should post in the CSPAM fitness thread btw, it's become overrun of late by degenerate cardio freaks talking about shoes like fetishists and I'd love more representation of no-neck freaks who just want to move some iron

also, "large scale immunity" is something that is entirely made up and does not exist in the reality of the world we live in. It really sucks that acknowledging this gets one labeled as "mentally ill" but it's true and for every MadJackal living in a blue paradise of 80% vaccination you have 30 posters like me living in blood red states where nobody has been wearing masks at all, ever, with 30% vaxx rates and blood gargling chuds saying the exact same stuff the sensible liberals are saying now that it's a blue guy at the top so a lot of us get a little crazy from the gaslighting. If I have my timeline correct it's only been 2 weeks since all of the smart approved authorities agreed that COVID is spread through the air so excuse me for dismissing them as cranks and just doing and recommending what humans have done since 50,000 years ago to stop respiratory virus spread

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
CSPAM has always been a place to MST3K politics and just laugh along with people who share your worldview and find out stuff that you'd either hunt for on leftist twitter or the like because you're not going to hear about it otherwise due to the nature of our media. It's at its worse when it turn an exercise in pedanticism, but that's just SA at its worst at large, like Deciding Once And For All If Jimmy Dore Is Canceled Or Not, who gives a poo poo, give me another clip about Joe Biden loving up. Not totally sure how you moderate that without being heavy-handed and killing a tangent that's potentially funny though, to be honest.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’d bet you a nice chunk of change most of those reports are from people who don’t post in cspam but hate read it obsessively

they should post here, get the story out on why cspam is actually super bad and should die. this is the chance!!!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

quote:

Threads that are great. Things that are funny or entertaining or informative. Why do you think as such?
My favorites are the Climate Change, Doomsday Economics, Podcast and Epstein threads. C-SPAM lets me post and read about bad, real poo poo that happens that family, friends and coworkers don't want to hear about, and I often laugh while doing so. I usually am not scolded for being too doomer or depressing here, unlike everywhere else.

quote:

People who deserve recognition for being great here and adding to the community. Forums are nothing without worth-a-poo poo people, who is under-recognized and deserves some props?
I recognize avatars more than names, but off the top of my head, Gradenko and Perry Mason Jar make high quality posts. Tons of posters make me laugh with dumb tangents that draw stark contrast with usual grim subject matter.

quote:

Things that loving suck in CSPAM. No place is roses all the time. What needs changed and WHY? What might not need a change per say...but is something you don't like.

The chat threads are filled with obnoxious people and it's unfortunate that they disproportionately represent the current share of mods. It'd be cool if the admins were less aggro and disdainful toward C-SPAM in general

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Jun 26, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I guess that's in part why I don't mind having threads that replicate sports or gaming or whatever - people both in cspam and in the grey threads don't really want cspam posting outside of cspam? that's not posters, posts - putting a strong (often marxist) political lense and critique on their posting. that's fine, whatever floats your boat but it's better to keep cspam in cspam.

I kind of wish we'd see it that way - like, that it's cool we have a space for this specifically and, for example, it's kind of neat that there's an explicitly critical variant on some history threads. that's not to limit what you can put in either but - Marxism has an awful lot to say about history and it's totally fair for that kind of speciality discussion to have it's own space, imo at least! if course instead the A/T history thread and the CSPAM ones do as goons do and instead occasionally snipe loathing at each other. it's a shame.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Also a weird amount of hate for chat thread people even though I see a lot of the chat thread people out in all the other threads...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Brute Squad posted:

IK baloogan

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

twoday posted:

Good.

The reports are really 90% non-actionable, and a bunch of them are by people with weird specific grudges. Read through the history of the misc and bullshit reports forum if you want to get a better idea, some (not all) have explanations of how and why they are bullshit or misc.

my suggestion is to reduce the report limit/and or ban the people who hit it

i didn't even know there was a daily report limit until i read about it in qcs because of infinite drama that's occurred for approximately two years now every few months. the primary mechanism for correcting bad posting in cspam ought to be posters posting about the bad posts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Also a weird amount of hate for chat thread people even though I see a lot of the chat thread people out in all the other threads...

chat thread mods causing mucho problems, terrible repetitive posters invading threads they never post in, etc don't cause endearment

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like making fun of idiots in politics. So I like the pictures thread and the lol thread. lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I guess I'm too all over the place and don't get too into the chat thread vs non frame of mind to make the distinction. I mean, I do post in the chat threads more because :effort: but I lurk all about.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Put a wordfilter on "D and D", immediate 6 hour ban on anyone who tries to circumvent this wordfilter

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Athanatos posted:

I also understand every poster in this thread is not representative of the entirety of CSPAM. It's a large space and this thread is very small.

I just want to pop here and say I wouldn't have known this thread was here if someone didn't mention it in a megathread. And honestly I like my bookmarked megathreads so please don't change that too much. I dont mind like an annual remake but I like being able to zone out for a minute and click into the bookmarks and just see whats up in the worlds and with the peeps that I feel a certain akinness to.

Just want to throw another vote into: Please for the love of god don't ever get down on people for "doom" posting. This is one of the only places in the world where I feel like anyone acknowledges that "you know, poo poo probably wont get better in our life times and we have to deal with that" and this is seriously coming from someone who has had double depression (its a real thing, you layer dysthymia on top of major depression... anyway) but like, being weird and tip toeing around mental poo poo just makes it worse in my experience. I didn't start feeling better until I really acknowledged it. It's kind of like a support group. Having people who get you and can validate is a big deal sometimes.

I've been around for a hot minute and started my political posting in D&D probably because it was just the first place I really found but the culture here is unique and good in a way that i've just never seen replicated on the internet. It's stupid but I get a bit of anxiety about posting in other parts of SA. Everyone's so fuckin anal retentive everywhere else. I can just dump my brain mush in here and no one is an rear end in a top hat to me about it most of the time.

COVID thread rules because I can bitch about my lovely coworkers who from the beginning of COVID have felt like they didn't give a single poo poo and no one was an rear end in a top hat about it. It was nice. It's still pretty nice. I love that sinophobic dickholes are immediately run off with pitchforks.

I'm glad that every time we get a wif that someone is a rapist or assaulter or whatever we immediately run their poo poo out of town.

I love that I can say Joe Biden is a rapist here with out some loving pointdexter popping out of the woodwork to WELL ACKSUYALLY at me.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
anyone that hits the report button on people for "Wrong opinion" has got some weakness of the spirit going on.

if anyone does that and has one of those 'only trust your fists' gangtags they should get it replaced with a thin blue line one.

e: re: doomposting, i gotta personally say my outlook on life improved a lot when i clued in a lot more on how not enjoying a lot of things about the world was a perfectly normal reaction. i do think people should be less defeatist about it but i think a lot of the 'optimistic' outlooks people talk about are pretty cynical and defeatist in their own right when you get down to it.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Jun 26, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Once a week, close all megathreads and then close every thread that goes over 10 pages, megathreads stifle creativity

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Terror Sweat posted:

Once a week, close all megathreads and then close every thread that goes over 10 pages, megathreads stifle creativity

:hmmno:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’d say it was 50% that, 30% grudges between posters within c-spam reporting their posting enemies, and 20% neutrally concerned reports

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

there are some primarily chat thread people that stumble into other threads and go, ah cpsam, the place to shitpost. this usually goes poorly

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why I'm here.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I am of the opinion you don't kill or try to limit "megathreads," you just reboot them every so often. Depending on what the thread runs out. Just as an example, most sports threads on this forum go by month. Start of the month, great time for new people to show up and get involved. It's the same thread, the bookmarks just change.

Plus, maybe people have to look at the thread index and see other cool poo poo and don't have to be prodded to only browse their bookmarks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bearjew posted:

cspam? is that the new subway sandwich?

just rename the forum Cheezer-SPAM

we know that everyone has been thinking it for years

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Shine posted:

I personally had only experienced C-SPAM thus far through clearing the report forum and skimming QCS, which is, like, the worst way to get to know any forum. Taking those two extremely biased samples at face value, I'd be like "so is this a forum where white people will call me a traitor to Black America because I'm lightskinned, or some poo poo?" and that's not fair to C-SPAM. Hearing people talk about why C-SPAM is important to them has been an endearing experience.

I'm not sure I have the time to get all that engrossed here (I'm more of a "help with behind-the-scenes poo poo" admin and I barely have time to keep up with threads I love in other forums) but I will probably at least bookmark the fitness thread.

This forum is nothing like that. I'm glad that you got to experience the reality that we are leftist idiots that shitpost a lot.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Once a week, probate this poster for a week, to encourage them to produce more creative posts

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
just make it lf without the death threats

bing bong so simple

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Athanatos posted:

I am of the opinion you don't kill or try to limit "megathreads," you just reboot them every so often. Depending on what the thread runs out. Just as an example, most sports threads on this forum go by month. Start of the month, great time for new people to show up and get involved. It's the same thread, the bookmarks just change.

Plus, maybe people have to look at the thread index and see other cool poo poo and don't have to be prodded to only browse their bookmarks.

This has been the norm for the "trump" thread for years now. Unfortunately it was killed thanks to QCS whining, but with any luck its unofficial replacement will follow the previous precedents though of course it being entirely unaffiliated means it has no obligation to do so. It'd be foolhardy to do exactly what a previously instant banned thread did, so it's hard to say

In either case speaking as someone who makes weird focused threads from time to time, I am confident that I will be fine because I will be able to in either case make a post in the megathread about my niche thread and anybody interested will bookmark it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
doom posting is appropriate because our world is doomed. there are lots of places where people can pretend things are fine, we don't need another one. thank you for your time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CSPAM is where you go for casual posting while you "should be" working. You can post about politics, or politics-adjacent stuff, or just post alongside politics people about stuff that's not political at all. Even in the chat/non-politics threads though, the political element is close at hand. It's a leftist space but there is more ideological diversity than a lot of people appreciate. It's nice to have a left space where it's not just five guys talking about theory or striving to be the leftmost of them all 24/7. There are some threads like that here but they're basically labelled as such so you generally know what you're getting into.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rutibex posted:

doom posting is appropriate because our world is doomed. there are lots of places where people can pretend things are fine, we don't need another one. thank you for your time

luv that MadJackal posting is the official baseline when I live in a blood red state totally disconnected from comfy liberals making loads of cash in their own safe havens so that just documenting my day to day life makes me an insane doomer worthy of a permaban lmao

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
lets all be friends :angel:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

CSPAM is where you go for casual posting while you poof beefers

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rutibex posted:

seriously. we live on a doomed planet stop trying to force a smile on our face

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
da joker forum

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I'm a coronavirus therapeutic researcher and I poo poo you not the COVID thread is the best aggregate resource for this pandemic I've ever seen. Bullshit gets called out almost immediately, fake professionals are pretty quickly poo poo on, and the average layperson in the thread gives better advice than the CDC.

LF was kind of insane and had some problems, but post-Flavius C-SPAM is a fantastic forum.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Schmoe Cwead posted:

just make it lf without the death threats

bing bong so simple

I agree except keep the death threats

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bastard Tetris posted:

I'm a coronavirus therapeutic researcher and I poo poo you not the COVID thread is the best aggregate resource for this pandemic I've ever seen. Bullshit gets called out almost immediately, fake professionals are pretty quickly poo poo on, and the average layperson in the thread gives better advice than the CDC.

LF was kind of insane and had some problems, but post-Flavius C-SPAM is a fantastic forum.

I still can't believe you personally saved Trump's life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

da joker forum