Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pamela Springstein posted:

make the cspam imp zone rsf. cspam without the megathreads.

might as well just give us a subforum and ban liberal posting tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
i'm still laughing at the idea that doomposting is somehow an issue that needs to be addressed

people are either posting about poo poo that's true or they're posting misinformation, and I don't know why you need any distinction beyond that. is the problem that people post true things and don't immediately say "but everything is gonna be fine" right afterward?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Paradoxish posted:

i'm still laughing at the idea that doomposting is somehow an issue that needs to be addressed

people are either posting about poo poo that's true or they're posting misinformation, and I don't know why you need any distinction beyond that. is the problem that people post true things and don't immediately say "but everything is gonna be fine" right afterward?

THE MINECRAFT IS FALLING THE MINECRAFT IS FALLING

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Paradoxish posted:

hey, lighten up

I order you to lighten up!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

swimsuit posted:

the forum started to suck heavily after homex allowed himself to be owned in qcs

theres still occasionally some good conversation to be had and im v appreciative of ppl like gradenko / bmcd but its pretty telling that the forum has only just achieved some vague stability after the current mods left or went into hiding

i think we need new actual mods and less garbage chat threads - if we get new mods i think they need to actually be informed about the poo poo this forum is ostensibly about

but most of all i think we need to be allowed to say slurs and threaten each other with death

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the marxist thread is one of the best threads on the forum, the fitness thread is off topic but good except for when people post about cardio, the ufo thread is a welcome new addition. epstein thread is fun but i havent read that in a while

the covid thread is a doombrain spiral that while maybe materially justified seems unhealthy to post in 12 hours a day. i dont read the trump thread anymore because he isnt president now

i wish there were more small threads without dedicated chat crews

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

fr0id posted:

as mentioned. this is one of the few super leftist forums that is also incredibly gay and LGBTQ positive. For good and ill, of course

preach on. things are tough when you are a queer, and can definitely be a lot tougher when red and queer. our dudebro cspam fellow posters are, at least in my own view, heads and shoulders above much of the internet. not fellow posters; I have a better word: comrades

(this one I dedicate to perennial claim that everyone here is a larper that cosplays as a soviet worker from a propaganda poster)

edit: hosed up my phrasing lmao

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

also weirdly for a leftist forum the organize your workplace or join an org threads get fewer posts than the lunch chat thread. maybe someone could look into that

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Paradoxish posted:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
all my observations will coloured by the fact my time zone is about 12 hours out from most (?) posters. i never noticed much drama, whether it was between fyad or d&d or whatever or in between posters.

cspam is cool because it has such a different viewpoint, cspammers can frame news/history with a really interesting perspective in an informative/funny way. it's also great for unknown documentaries/books/articles/etc.

for good posters, i don't usually pay attention to people more than their avatar, but i think everyone respects gradenko_2000, who's an IK already. he always seems to have lots of interesting sources, is funny and isn't a jerk.

good current threads:
podcast thread. riding the line between parasocial relationship obsession and "left media/twitter" discussion thread. delves into chat thread territory sometimes, but not too much

asia politics thread that's not just regurgitated western media talking points by white guys teaching english in asia.

doomsday economics thread. great thread about the sham of finance and the mindless worship of NUMBER

epstein thread. posters who have been "crack pinged" because of epstein's suspicious deaths and discuss the ties between people who are high up in government, finance and the media throughout (recent) history.

good past threads:
live posting when it started looking like trump would win the 2016 elections

some of trump's dumbest and funniest moments

bad current threads:
cspam auspol thread. i made an auspol thread because i didn't want to post in the d&d thread anymore but it's a bit dead (having a bunch of d&d people come poo poo up the thread at the start didn't help).

Athanatos posted:

Small sample size I understand, but will ask now so future people who contribute can answer too:

XXX Topic threads can feel like chat threads, and sometimes wane away from the topic, but are mostly focused and come back, where as "chat threads" here are just random bullshit.

Seems to be...almost an animosity towards straight "chat threads." That about right?

i dislike the chat threads because they just devolve into small groups talking about their day. i hadn't read the trump thread for a long time when the drama happened, but when it drifted off, it usually came back when trump adjacent people did something stupid.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I've skipped some pages, which I normally never do, so this might be off topic.

CSPAM is a leftist post/shitpost forum, and as such the threads in the forum always kind of belong here. One thing I've found with the megathreads here is that they are really welcoming - you really can just jump in here and post and be responded to. That's really not the case with megathreads on other forums that can be incredibly cliquey and unwelcoming. It's a lot more welcoming here and there's room for sincere posting if you want to.

"Doomposting" isn't really a problem. I've maybe muted a couple of posters for really grim stuff but otherwise people are often linking legit articles so it's legit political commentary.

Honestly the only thing I'd like to see change is that I've seen good, sincere posters driven off by targeted harassment(I miss snoo). Like every so often a poster will randomly pop up in a thread and literally every post they make will be a negative post about a specific other poster (for some reason the targeted posters always seem to be women/non- binary. Prolly just a coincidence). So you'll have a bunch of people in the thread trying to draw attention to or stop harassment by some random creep, and complete inaction by mods.

Like that's the only thing I've seen in CSPAM that makes me uncomfortable. In every other way it's a much more functional forum than most others.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Schmoe Cwead posted:

just think of cspam posters as the drunk philosopher dude who lived in a barrel and yelled at random passerby

we just need a barrel and people to yell at

This. We need to be able to yell

Also I would like to offer an unilateral debeefing for all. I will try to avoid being as much of a gimmick poster. With love, tokin opposition.

E: also sad nobody has mentioned the weed or anime threads :(

tokin opposition has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Jun 26, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dead gay comedy forums posted:

preach on. things are tough when you are a queer, and can definitely be a lot tougher when red and queer. our dudebro cspam fellow posters are, at least in my own view, heads and shoulders above much of the internet. not fellow posters; I have a better word: comrades

(this one I dedicate to perennial claim that everyone here is a larper that cosplays as a soviet worker from a propaganda poster)

edit: hosed up my phrasing lmao

CSPAM is a good place for queers online IME. I like it here.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

slinkimalinki posted:

Honestly the only thing I'd like to see change is that I've seen good, sincere posters driven off by targeted harassment(I miss snoo). Like every so often a poster will randomly pop up in a thread and literally every post they make will be a negative post about a specific other poster (for some reason the targeted posters always seem to be women/non- binary. Prolly just a coincidence). So you'll have a bunch of people in the thread trying to draw attention to or stop harassment by some random creep, and complete inaction by mods.

Like that's the only thing I've seen in CSPAM that makes me uncomfortable. In every other way it's a much more functional forum than most others.

The fact that this happened multiple times in the COVID thread is beyond shameful. It's a mark against the forums in general and not CSPAM specifically imo

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Admins, you found 'em, this is the average c-spam poster

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If Succ Zone posters are really sending 30 unhinged PMs or whatever to harass unsourced D&D quotees just post the PMs to shame those Succ Zone posters when that behavior evinces itself. If you want us to self-police an invisible behavior you need to actually make it visible for us

I mostly post/read there and keep up with the I/P thread and the Epstein thread and rarely have any interactions with our local mods except on the occasion that they've seen fit to bust into the Succ Zone and flex, and the last time I remember that happening it was Flavius and Jeffery himself. Kind of seems like they should be sourced from more than just the Trump thread from what I've read elsewhere though. Personally of the current IKs I think any of Thunderbeast, loquacious, gradenko, galenanorth, or Tiler would all be decent-to-good mods if that was a role any of them wanted to assume

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

slinkimalinki posted:

100% this. Fundamentally sound moderation would deal with actual bullying or harassment holistically rather than a drive-by sixer/ban. The "gently caress you" culture is fun and generally pretty light-hearted but situations where good posters get picked on by a handful of bad actors tend to get overlooked.

Frankly, this is a site-wide issue for women in particular.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the thing to understanndd about CSPAM is that Little Shop of Horrors is the best musical in the history of the genre, with Hedwig coming in as a close second, lacking only in its lack of a Greeek choir

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

twoday posted:

It’s an unprecedented historical event in our lifetimes and a controversial topic and literally everyone alive on earth right now has a strong opinion about it one way or the other

That’s the thread’s fault though

You’re completely right, and covid is affecting everyone who posts or lurks here without exception. It should probably be pretty telling that only a few dozen people post there regularly and a substantial number of cspam regulars refuse to even read it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

For a great example of a slow but good thread there’s the periodicals thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859434

Probably my fav in the whole sub, slow as hell but pound for pound it’s easily one of the highest quality threads there are.

This here thread already had 11 pages when I noticed it existed so I admit didn’t fully read all of it, so just do whatever pentecoastal elites suggested they’re the Ted Williams of forum opinion having these days anyway.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Source4Leko posted:

CSPAM is a good place for queers online IME. I like it here.

cspam has always seemed to have a large trans/queer presence and seemed v welcoming until these big shifts happen most of them after the election and mostly dealing with mods and posters from other subforums which is a lot of why good posters like snoo left in the past and its extremely alienating to posters like that to get mobbed unfairly and even if they get apologized to once other posters and mods realized what happened the space is no longer safe which is why we have some animosity towards the so-called slur forums

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
hello i am here representing the COVID thread and i am very insulted about people interacting with one another right now

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

TheSlutPit posted:

You’re completely right, and covid is affecting everyone who posts or lurks here without exception. It should probably be pretty telling that only a few dozen people post there regularly and a substantial number of cspam regulars refuse to even read it.

See?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
C spam is a good forum

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

C spam is a good forum

agreed

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

yeah, I think this might be an useful example of what people are complaining about

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slinkimalinki posted:

are you talking about a different incident or are you like that one guy who accused me of gangstalking snoo despite only posting at her maybe 3 times ever

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

cringe!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
doomsday Econ is my favorite forums thread of all time and has been worth every cent I’ve spent on this website god. bless also I’m gay

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

the thing to understanndd about CSPAM is that Little Shop of Horrors is the best musical in the history of the genre, with Hedwig coming in as a close second, lacking only in its lack of a Greeek choir

YouTube "little Shop ya never know" and skip to about 2:12 in. song that gets the most out of the chorus singers who are way more talented than the regular cast

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The fact that this happened multiple times in the COVID thread is beyond shameful. It's a mark against the forums in general and not CSPAM specifically imo

I do wonder if CSPAM women/genderqueer posters are seen as a particularly easy target. I mean we've seen in this thread that the Covid thread is generally regarded on SA as being full of crazy doomposters.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cumshitter posted:

YouTube "little Shop ya never know" and skip to about 2:12 in. song that gets the most out of the chorus singers who are way more talented than the regular cast

Hedwig is practically Disco Elysium in its themes and doesn't get proper love and credit imho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel kinda bad about my timezone meaning I slept through the last straw that drove snoo off. I had the buttons to do something about it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TheSlutPit posted:

I love CSPAM because I can tell TheSlutPit to gently caress off

If you don't like reading threads that are full of upsetting but generally accurate information then don't read them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Doomsday economy is a good thread full of dumb people who struggle to understand the inscrutable machinations of the blessed numbers that control our lives.

Glenn thread is very good. Glenn being right is a great honeypot.

Podcast thread is very good. Please mod challenge xtal to post his pods. :)

Games, covid, climate change, reactionaries, culture warriors, pictures, and the various not us centric threads are great.

The best posters in CSPAM are the various posters who admit to committing war crimes.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel kinda bad about my timezone meaning I slept through the last straw that drove snoo off. I had the buttons to do something about it.

It wasn't in the covid thread, but the witchcraft thread. Some folks mocked the witchcraft/tarot/whatever and snoo flipped. Posters smelled blood and tore her apart.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 08:09 on Jun 26, 2021

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"
I enjoy CSPAM because kind of like BYOB we all get to know each other, or we see others a lot, and it feels very easy to post and join in with anything.

This can also mean learning to despise someone but y'know how it goes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

It was in the covid thread, but the witchcraft thread. Some folks mocked the witchcraft/tarot/whatever and snoo flipped. Posters smelled blood and tore her apart.

i said witchcraft was basically only practiced by comfortable white people, to which I was called a misogynist and a racist. when people made fun of the handful of pro witchcraft posters for this, snoo took her ball and went home. it's pretty messed up to characterize that as even trolling, if you ask me. she'd have gotten probes for that in any normal forum but well, mod sweeties.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
conversely, ive seen good posters get driven out because disagreeing with the wrong posters got them marked as some harasser / cspam hater, and no matter how sincere they were they'd get accused of all sorts of terrible things; like the tarot/witchcraft thread had people get accused of racism/sexism for just rightly pointing out that tarot was not indigenous, in a forum where you're meant to be able to express your opinion without worrying about breaching some dumb decorum standard.

i really would like cspam to be a place where anyone can feel welcome to engage, and even if people hate their guts they shouldnt feel like theyre being hated for any other reason than being wrong or insufferable rather than because theyre lgbtq+ or they post in the wrong forum or crossed the wrong superstar. im always kind of cautious on telling people to assume good faith even in people they dislike, since i know i dont have complete perspective or experience, but you really cannot have a sane ecosystem if people are gonna get their takes read in the worst possible light. i saw a lot of that kind of incredibly hostile poo poo and it bothered me a lot during the forums wide meltdown a year and a half ago, and im glad that its not the dominant mindset on this forum anymore, as far as ive seen.

e: and ive said elsewhere re: harassment and being a dick, mockery is part of the site's ethos, but there is a point where people can get more deranged than anything they could be making fun of; its kind of a problem that comes up not just in poster's conducts but in mock threads when they get too long in the tooth and people start getting stupid in their one up manship

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 08:20 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

i said witchcraft was basically only practiced by comfortable white people, to which I was called a misogynist and a racist. when people made fun of the handful of pro witchcraft posters for this, snoo took her ball and went home. it's pretty messed up to characterize that as even trolling, if you ask me. she'd have gotten probes for that in any normal forum but well, mod sweeties.

https://twitter.com/mechapoetic/status/1191127406272286721