Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's basically the most inherently anti-egalitarian hobby you could possibly have besides arranging marriages or holding race rallies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As far as I can tell, the "unsourced quotes" thing that has been going on in succzone for a while has been a good solution to the "inter-forum drama" stuff. Things usually run their course within a couple pages and never really escalate.

The most important point with regard to this sort of thing is that you can't magically make people stop disliking other people who they see and interact with on a regular basis. People hold opinions that other people think are stupid and/or reprehensible. If you probate the direct expression of this, it will only manifest in other ways (like people just posting long condescending paragraphs, or repeatedly mashing the report button until they meet their daily quota, or posting QCS threads). It seems to me that the most reasonable solution is to just crack down any time someone goes too far (and when it comes to stuff like "sending 30 harassing PMs" the "cracking down" can just be a ban because that's pretty nuts). Or let the person who sent 30 PMs be socially censured, as someone else mentioned.

Paradoxish posted:

i'm still laughing at the idea that doomposting is somehow an issue that needs to be addressed

people are either posting about poo poo that's true or they're posting misinformation, and I don't know why you need any distinction beyond that. is the problem that people post true things and don't immediately say "but everything is gonna be fine" right afterward?

Pretty much the only situation I can think of where "doomposting" might be objectionable is if there's a thread specifically about a positive opinion about something (in which case the "doomposting" would essentially be off-topic). So something like someone posting about how Bernie Sanders sucks in the Bernie primary campaign threads (which is a reasonable opinion, but antagonistically conflicting with the explicit topic of the thread).

Otherwise the concept of "doomposting" (that isn't even wrong) being a bad thing that should be probated is really dumb.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my astrological sign is nanto

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

It wasn't in the covid thread, but the witchcraft thread. Some folks mocked the witchcraft/tarot/whatever and snoo flipped. Posters smelled blood and tore her apart.

There was absolutely someone hounding her in the covid thread, whatever happened in the witchcraft thread

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Larry Parrish posted:

i said witchcraft was basically only practiced by comfortable white people, to which I was called a misogynist and a racist. when people made fun of the handful of pro witchcraft posters for this, snoo took her ball and went home. it's pretty messed up to characterize that as even trolling, if you ask me. she'd have gotten probes for that in any normal forum but well, mod sweeties.

:shrug: poo poo happens. I wish she hadn't left. I don't think most of the posts were meltdown worthy.

slinkimalinki posted:

There was absolutely someone hounding her in the covid thread, whatever happened in the witchcraft thread

Yeah. That was mourne. He was a freak and should have been kicked out but was allowed to fester for a long time. I think there was someone else too. The witchcraft thread happened at the right time to set her off and cause her to leave.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Jun 26, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i prefer to think it was the result of a curse.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Things wrt the pandemic in the US are getting better and better every week and have been for months. To ignore this reality or reject it out of hand is to doompost.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

Things wrt the pandemic in the US are getting better and better every week and have been for months. To ignore this reality or reject it out of hand is to doompost.

better doesn't mean not hosed, dipshit

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Pretty much the only situation I can think of where "doomposting" might be objectionable is if there's a thread specifically about a positive opinion about something (in which case the "doomposting" would essentially be off-topic). So something like someone posting about how Bernie Sanders sucks in the Bernie primary campaign threads (which is a reasonable opinion, but antagonistically conflicting with the explicit topic of the thread).

Otherwise the concept of "doomposting" (that isn't even wrong) being a bad thing that should be probated is really dumb.

The original premise of doomposting being bad was that it was a form of self harm

How far we've come

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cspam's covid flagellants marching thru the forums in a grim parade, flogging themselves with statistical analysis reports at two am

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Unsourced quotes wasn't even necessarily a CSPAM thing. There was one poster in PYF that took it to a masterclass. Just carrying on entire conversations from unsourced quotes

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unsourced quotes wasn't even necessarily a CSPAM thing. There was one poster in PYF that took it to a masterclass. Just carrying on entire conversations from unsourced quotes

Lottery of Babylon?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

slinkimalinki posted:

Lottery of Babylon?

Yes! Exactly

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Wasn't there also a guy on c-spam who lost an argument to unsourced quotes?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

fosborb posted:

I still can't believe you personally saved Trump's life

Saved trumps life but then someone talked him out of ripping open his dress shirt on the steps of walter reed to reveal a superman logo. this was an actual idea the president had. he only didnt do it because he was stopped

instead we got the video where he gasps and wobbles like a carp out of water

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
i think if we took everyone with a gang tag and shot them into the sun the forum would get a lot better, op

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

mortons stork posted:

That was the funniest thing ever

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
wandered in here from the canada thread. it's the only cspam thread in my bookmarks and I almost exclusively visit the sa forums via bookmarks

I don't really know what the difference is between the d&d and cspam canada threads, and I suspect nobody else does either, and there's like 80% poster overlap, but for some reason it seems to work ok. it was weird when a d&d mod randomly appeared to close and remake the canada thread over there without asking or being asked, so I guess if that becomes a plan for (kinda insular) megathreads in cspam maybe try to say hi before firing up the bulldozer

I will sometimes wander into greater cspam (it wouldn't even occur to me to try d&d these days, for any topic) and every thread I come across is hilarious and/or super informative. after a week of reading (non-canpol) cspam threads, I'll find myself feeling much more angry and sad about life, then I stop reading cspam threads and that anger/sadness disappears. I don't think this is a cspam problem, it's a me problem or I'm making bad choices for threads to lurk. so I think cspam generally isn't for me, except in very low doses or the odd insular megathread. and that's ok! maybe this is what people mean by "doomposting", I dunno, but I'm not gonna tell people how to post. and I totally get why it's so cathartic. it's a necessary space, and there's plenty of other forums I can visit

when I do venture beyond the canada thread, I appreciate that it's ok to just say someone or something is loving stupid. it's the same reason yospos is so much more of a joy than sh/sc, as someone said earlier. the surreal mix of casual and effort

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fortaleza posted:

A lot of posts and posters in the Covid thread aren’t American though and are posting about what is happening in other countries where things really aren’t going that well.

I like the relaxed posting style in Cspam and that you can joke around serious subjects.
Black humour is a necessary release for a lot of people and it’s good to have a place where you can do that.
I appreciate the more hands off modding style but I think mods could be firmer on bullying, racism, hate speech etc when it comes up. I tend to avoid drama though and just like to keep it friendly.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

swimsuit posted:

i think if we took everyone with a gang tag and shot them into the sun the forum would get a lot better, op

Why? gang tags are like tattoos for your forums account. what about them upsets you?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i think cspam is fine the way it is

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my astrological sign is nanto

*seven stars blaze above in the northern sky*

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Why? gang tags are like tattoos for your forums account. what about them upsets you?

They're actually quite useful imo, though sometimes people end up with tattoos they regret later.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

It means less and less hosed all the time. Fewer and fewer people are dying or even being hospitalized but you don’t have the emotional capacity to recognize it because you and hosed up people like you need things to be worse or your overwhelming sense of misery stops making sense.

All I had to do was post correctly about how things are getting better and some angry dumbass comes out of the woodwork. That’s not a good thing and I support any efforts to have fewer of these sorts of shitheads around.

Helith posted:

A lot of posts and posters in the Covid thread aren’t American though and are posting about what is happening in other countries where things really aren’t going that well.

Oh most definitely, that’s why I didn’t call out that thread and specifically mentioned the US. Looks like vaccination programs in Europe are going well now though and I’m looking forward to them righteously dunking on our total vaccination rates once they pass us up soon, all while posters in China create a field of smugness so powerful nothing escapes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just incredibly bad vibes from that post. poo poo stirrer in an unfun way.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

It means less and less hosed all the time. Fewer and fewer people are dying or even being hospitalized but you don’t have the emotional capacity to recognize it because you and hosed up people like you need things to be worse or your overwhelming sense of misery stops making sense.

All I had to do was post correctly about how things are getting better and some angry dumbass comes out of the woodwork. That’s not a good thing and I support any efforts to have fewer of these sorts of shitheads around.

Oh most definitely, that’s why I didn’t call out that thread and specifically mentioned the US. Looks like vaccination programs in Europe are going well now though and I’m looking forward to them righteously dunking on our total vaccination rates once they pass us up soon, all while posters in China create a field of smugness so powerful nothing escapes.

how many weeks has it been since the ganges river was filled with the bodies of people who couldn't be cremated quickly enough? things may be getting better but they are still bad. both things are true, depending on where you live at least

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

Fortaleza posted:

yuck

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

how many weeks has it been since the ganges river was filled with the bodies of people who couldn't be cremated quickly enough? things may be getting better but they are still bad. both things are true, depending on where you live at least

Yeah it’s going to be a long time before India’s back to anything close to ok again. I work with people over there directly (or as directly as the time zones allow) and they at least are doing alright but yeeesh :(

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

harshly probe diary posting and keep the rest of it imho

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

mortons stork posted:

Someone please give me a link to this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Like I'm extremely fortunate to have one shot down and two weeks out from shot two but the pandemic as of today and for the last four months has been worse than it ever was all throughout 2020

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That was forums poster mcmagic IIRC. Think it may have been in an old iteration of the succzone thread maybe?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

i said witchcraft was basically only practiced by comfortable white people, to which I was called a misogynist and a racist. when people made fun of the handful of pro witchcraft posters for this, snoo took her ball and went home. it's pretty messed up to characterize that as even trolling, if you ask me. she'd have gotten probes for that in any normal forum but well, mod sweeties.

im still annoyed/kinda mad that it was implied i have 'internalized misogyny' issues because i'm a woman and find this stuff tedious/gross lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

nothing good will ever happen again *all the petals fall away from a rose as it withers and dies*

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
If you find yourself rooting for the covid, if you find yourself wearing the covid teams jersey, if you got mob money riding on covid, you might be a "Doomer".

this does remind me of that one "nihilism :( vs nihilism :thumbsup:" meme tho, in terms of how people handle a bleak world outlook. be a little less self serious about it, i guess.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Jun 26, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fortaleza posted:

That was forums poster mcmagic IIRC. Think it may have been in an old iteration of the succzone thread maybe?

Yeah, it was DoomTrainPhd doing the quoting and McMagic arguing with him and losing. hell if I can find it though, I suspect the iteration of the thread where it actually happened got gassed and isn't searchable

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

im still annoyed/kinda mad that it was implied i have 'internalized misogyny' issues because i'm a woman and find this stuff tedious/gross lol

there's a tiny and thankfully rarely seen type of poster in this forum that's basically a stereotype of people on Twitter and frankly they need to go away lol. i remember someone telling me I was racist for pushing back on latinx, which, lol.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i think c-spam should be more accepting of magick, astrology, spells, etc.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

dont succ up my cspam its the only reason to keep coming to this gay website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Line Feed posted:

dont succ up my cspam its the only reason to keep coming to this gay website

Do you not yearn for freedom?