Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The points store won't let me buy emotes (which I will literally never use, but thought would be nice to have) because while I own the game I have not played it for 2 hours. Strong choosing beggars energy. I know I could just run the game in the background for 2 hours, but I was only minimally interested in the first place.

E: Ah, a strong new page. Well, note that this is not the case for every game, so some devs must have set or requested that filthy owners-who-haven't-played be locked out of spending their points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Darkrenown posted:

The points store won't let me buy emotes (which I will literally never use, but thought would be nice to have) because while I own the game I have not played it for 2 hours. Strong choosing beggars energy. I know I could just run the game in the background for 2 hours, but I was only minimally interested in the first place.

E: Ah, a strong new page. Well, note that this is not the case for every game, so some devs must have set or requested that filthy owners-who-haven't-played be locked out of spending their points.

I think there's some strong lockdown with you not "properly" owning a game until the 2 hour mark due to their refund policy. I suspect things like trading cards and other chaff also work the same way.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

How does steam family sharing work if we aren't sharing the same physical PC? It sounds like if I log into steam on my niece's PC I should be able to auth her to play my games on that PC?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

poverty goat posted:

How does steam family sharing work if we aren't sharing the same physical PC? It sounds like if I log into steam on my niece's PC I should be able to auth her to play my games on that PC?

Yes, log into their computer and go to Settings -> Family. The only restriction is that they can’t play a game from your account at the same time you are.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Yes, log into their computer and go to Settings -> Family. The only restriction is that they can’t play a game from your account at the same time you are.

Thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OzFactor posted:

Everyone should play Prey. But here is my plug: everyone should play Prey: Mooncrash.

Oh hell yes, Mooncrash is a fantastic side-game that is just similar enough to base Prey to be easily understood but still with enough of a twist to the gameplay to draw you in.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Nthing the recommendation for Prey Mooncrash, when I bought it I basically shotgunned the entire thing in two days because I could not get enough of it. Play Prey and Mooncrash!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

all of these devices seem like they would be very uncomfortable to fit up my butt

Well, not with that attitude :/

Diephoon posted:

I watched a streamer play the DLC where you are a dude that beats the poo poo out of BOWs with his bare hands and I think you should probably get that one

:agreed:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just stuck a little time into Pankapu, gifted to me by the ever-awesome Xander77.

So far it's a fairly standard Metroidvania where you gain abilities as you progress, with the usual "if you want, find as many of these things as you can to increase your lifebar" mechanic, requiring some searching around for hidden areas if you want to get all of them on each level. Honestly, it's not breaking any new ground yet but to be fair I'm only an hour in.

It's very nicely presented, but I've yet to get to any boss fights to see how they are done so I don't know if they change up the gameplay or anything. You get fairly ample checkpoints, at least this early in the game, and the controls feel pretty solid. You can block enemy shots with a shield and that charges up your ranged weapon, so I guess they want you to mix up attack and defence to get the most out of the gameplay. The block can't be done in midair though, so you can't just jump through attacks and soak them on the shield. I feel if you could pull it out whenever you like it would make the game flow a lot better, but it's early days for me yet.

It's currently on sale at 75% off for a little over AUD$4 for both the prologue and episode 2 (which I assume is the whole game), so that's probably 3 US bucks or something. You could easily do worse for your money if you enjoy somewhat old-school platforming from those early Rayman days. Steam reviews are "mostly positive" and it's about 5 years old at this point.

Certainly worth a look if you are into this sort of game, but it's not doing anything you haven't seen before and plays like it came out a lot earlier.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OzFactor posted:

Everyone should play Prey. But here is my plug: everyone should play Prey: Mooncrash. It's in a weird place where I feel like it was marketed (that might not be the right word because I don't remember any actual marketing, maybe just word-of-mouth-eting) as a "roguelike" and that isn't really what it is. I think that people who went into it thinking it was supposed to be a roguelike left and said "it's kinda neat but it's not replayable," which is fair. It's not a roguelike in the sense that you start from scratch each playthrough and everything is randomized and the challenge is in optimizing your "runs." You will die and start over a lot, and when you do, things in the gameworld randomize, but the game is really just a big puzzle--both in terms of gameplay and story--that you slowly unravel with each "run." It'll probably only take about 20 hours or so to unravel the whole thing, but it's a blast the whole time. The randomization works really well: the world itself, i.e. the maps, stay the same, so you always know where you're going after you get the layout down, but the items move around, which means each successive run speeds up dramatically while still occasionally throwing you for a loop and making you improvise. Since the experience is relatively brief and broken up across five characters, it successfully avoids the only weakness of the main game, that being that the power curve flattens out too early and you stop being threatened by anything post-Psychotronics.

It's really a better experience going into it semi-blind, so do that. But also it assumes you have completed Prey already: not only will it spoil some of the plot, Mooncrash sort of assumes you know how to sneak around a space station and blow things up with your mind already--there's no slow introduction of gameplay systems. But of course you've already done that, yes? Because everyone should have played Prey by now.

thanks for this, i saw the marketing and ducked out. i have now added it to my cart which is sitting at $350 US and am trying to figure out what to cut (thinking nioh 2 and nier replicant since they're newer games and will probably go on bigger sale later)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I wish Valdis Story had gotten a proper sequel, there aren’t enough weird Metroidvania sidescrolling beat em up anime as gently caress games (although anime isn’t my thing, I dug that games art style and music). The last platformer I’ve played is probably Ori, which is good, but it’s a totally different experience. Any other noteworthy ones on sale so far?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

Guys the keyboard vs controller debate is a solved problem, I have one of these and it's great:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do I need any DLC for RE7 or are they just side stuff?

The Not a Hero DLC is a pretty deece follow up to the main story and it’s free. End of Zoe also follows up and it’s super fun.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol i went to bed hoping the controller/m+kb would be over by this morning.

fyi, if your game allows it, try left hand controller for analogue movement and right hand mouse for preceision aiming. the power levels of combining the two opposing forces is destructive beyond all measure.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

OzFactor posted:

Everyone should play Prey. But here is my plug: everyone should play Prey: Mooncrash.

I'm going to against the grain and say don't play Prey: Mooncrash, or at least don't get it blind. It has very little of what made Prey fun for me, so YMMV.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
this thread has convinced me to revisit Prey and finally pull the trigger on Obra Dinn & Disco Elysium.

Anything on "Generation Zero"? I didn't see any threads for it, and "it was not great at launch".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Negative_Earth posted:

this thread has convinced me to revisit Prey and finally pull the trigger on Obra Dinn & Disco Elysium.

Anything on "Generation Zero"? I didn't see any threads for it, and "it was not great at launch".

I feel like Generation Zero is a game where someone will tell you "oh it's got a lot better" and then another will say "actually it still sucks."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

I got one of these guys

Its pretty cool to play FF14, I can use the thumbstick to move while still using my fingers for the hotkeys and can still use the mouse!

This.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the good poo poo. I also have one. Would recommend if not for the fact it’s out of production and stupidity expensive secondhand.

And this.

I managed to get a second hand one off eBay for $99 last year to replace the 7+ year old one I had that still
Worked fine but the stick started to fall apart.

It’s a fantastic device.

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah the tartarus I don't like because it has a dpad instead of analogue, same with the orbweaver. Your only real choices for the analogue sticks is the G13 which is direct input, and the Azeron.

Yeah I searched for an analog one and couldn’t find anything so I just got a second hand one that was in really good shape.

It really does suck they stopped producing them because it’s a fantastic device and really well built.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mordja posted:

I feel like Generation Zero is a game where someone will tell you "oh it's got a lot better" and then another will say "actually it still sucks."

I'll be both of those guys at the same time. It's definitely gotten better since release, because more 80s clothes, makeup, and hairstyles = better. More seriously: it does actually run better for me than it did back then. But on the other hand, they've also added unnecessary crafting, and playing solo is frustrating, to say the least. I haven't played in a few months though, and I don't know if they've done anything big since the start of the year. When I did play, though, it felt like an early-access game that hadn't quite gotten everything in yet, and this was after it had been out for a year or two.

I'd say avoid it unless you have a couple of buddies and can appreciate jank and also a good videogame hike (because you'll be doing it a lot).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 26, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Those are definitely cool.

On the other hand, it's half the cool ones and half horny motherfuckers flooding the algorithm (borderline :nws:, I can't tell and don't really want to).

Only 2k points! what a steal!

Also you fuckers got me to buy Yakuza 0 because it was $5

You better not be tricking me, having not played a Yakuza game before

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

0 is a great one to start with, just be warned it's very frontloaded with story, but when it opens up there's a lot to do.

It's a lot of game for 5 bucks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, 0 is what introduced me to the series and it is a fantastic lead-in to the series proper. Which reminds me, once I'm done with Mass Effect Legendary I have to get back to Yakuza 4 so I can get to Yakuza 5 so I can get to Yakuza 6 so I can get to Like a Dragon (and maybe Judgment will come out along the way!).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is anyone playing Slipways? It's got an overwhelmingly positive review on Steam and it suckered me in for 5 hours but now I'm regretting it - it rubs me the wrong way by forcing you to commit to unchangeable production plans for planets before allowing you to scan their neighbors to see if it's actually possible to get the planet all the resources it needs to complete the production. Am I missing something here or is it just a badly designed game where I'm supposed to play the first 5% of a run dozens of times and keep restarting until I luck in to one of the rare layouts that lets me complete production chains using just visible planets?

The amount of foresight and pre-planning it requires to get a planet to a high level in this game is kind of absurd combined with the fact that you just need to sort of luck into sector generation that supports that perfect storm.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 26, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

Adding those two expansions drives the price over the definitive edition bundle, so I may as well grab that.

Makes sense, in that case

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Underwhelmed posted:

The best control combination is a mouse and an analog controller for movement. These are things you can buy. Azeron makes a great one if cost is no object, but as long as you aren't some mutant that uses their mouse left handed there are cheaper options available as well.

Has anyone tried using a simple flight stick for movement and mouse for aiming? I don't even know if games would allow for it, but I'm thinking of testing it. :D

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I had never played Yakuza before Y0 and it was probably my favorite game played in 2018.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yakuza 0 is one of the all time greats, can't go wrong. What a series. Gotta love Kiryu.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour is $1.99.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/434050/Duke_Nukem_3D_20th_Anniversary_World_Tour/

This is one of my favorite games, and just an incredible classic. The level design is insanely inventive, jetpacks, secret areas, you name it. Plus much like with Doom, this includes the original data file that you can use with a source port of your choice if you want too.

(Also, Duke Nukem Forever is $4.99, if you'd like to bet on Duke. Always bet on Duke. It's like buying a ticket for a ride in video game history.)

Doom (2016) is $5.99, that's a pretty nice price for an instant classic.

Vice City is $3.49, you need to apply a couple fan patches and maybe use xpadder or something, but it's good stuff.

Resident Evil 4 is $4.99, and it's a great port.

Quest for Glory and Space Quest collections are each $6.49, and you can use them with ScummVM too.

Metal Gear Solid V Definitive is $7.49, not too shabby.

Max Payne is $3.49, gotta get your Max Payne on. May require some fanpatches and using framerate limiters to prevent bugs, did for me.

Pretty much just rattling off some of my fav games if they're at a good price.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
more bargain bin recommendations, please.

as for myself, i picked up bloons for $2.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere Program? Big fan of the genre, but not sure which of these to start with. I'll probably eventually try both, so which should I check out first?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Resident Evil 4 is $4.99, and it's a great port.

Oh drat! That's like the only game from that whole era that I played all the way through at the time, and I remember it being really top-notch.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

lunar detritus posted:

I'm going to against the grain and say don't play Prey: Mooncrash, or at least don't get it blind. It has very little of what made Prey fun for me, so YMMV.

I understand where you're coming from. Took me a while to get into it, but once things clicked, I got pulled in. Enough to get every achievement even. It's a very divergent experience compared to the core game though.

Mordja posted:

Just like "beats for junkies" above, I am both of these people. All I can say is, if you do play, make sure it's in co-op with a friend or two. After a certain point, trying to go solo turns into an exercise in aggravating futility. Of course it didn't help that encountering a particular enemy type could cause my game to crash. Your mileage may vary.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is anyone playing Slipways? It's got an overwhelmingly positive review on Steam and it suckered me in for 5 hours but now I'm regretting it - it rubs me the wrong way by forcing you to commit to unchangeable production plans for planets before allowing you to scan their neighbors to see if it's actually possible to get the planet all the resources it needs to complete the production. Am I missing something here or is it just a badly designed game where I'm supposed to play the first 5% of a run dozens of times and keep restarting until I luck in to one of the rare layouts that lets me complete production chains using just visible planets?

The amount of foresight and pre-planning it requires to get a planet to a high level in this game is kind of absurd combined with the fact that you just need to sort of luck into sector generation that supports that perfect storm.

Yeah, it's great. It doesn't take that much foresight at all, you just need to keep thinking in terms of local orbits, the stuff that's within scan range, and just naturally build out. You'll get some lovely maps on occasion, and you may have to take a few Hail Marys, and sometimes you'll have to pick the most generically compatible option, but otherwise it's quite easy and chill.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HarmB posted:

Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere Program? Big fan of the genre, but not sure which of these to start with. I'll probably eventually try both, so which should I check out first?
How insistent are you on having things be neatly lined up? Because Satisfactory makes that pretty hard.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I buy "Grey Goo"

If you haven't bought it yet, I have a key from an old bundle I can give you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Been playing Scarlet Nexus. Mixed feelings so far but still better than I expected. Combat is tight and engaging, which is crucial. A step down from DMC5 id say but not too much. Looks very nice for this type of game, characters enemies and environments.

Story is interminable and very very anime so far. Not in a good way, and the still frames definitely don't help. I'm not into it yet but I think it might pick up soon.

I'd call it a wait for sale for character action fans, at least so far.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Everspace 2 looks so drat cool but I guess I should wait until its finished to play it

Live a little!! I bet you don't even rip your hot pocket out of the microwave still frozen in the middle and just tear into that thing

vandalism posted:

I picked up everspace 2 and played it one night and pretty much did everything that there is to do. It's really good but not much there to do. It still feels really nice to play. I got it at launch and I think that they added more... but I only played it that one session of a few hours and did everything that there was to do.

One of the issues with moving away from a roguelite formula is it requires probably ten or fifteen times as much content compared to the first one. Which is a big step up for the devs, but if they support it fire a long time it should be great

Ragequit posted:

Continuing my ARPG journey, I just ran across The Slormancer on my main Steam page. It's still in EA but looks promising for $13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsS2nC7u4Dw

Promising base but needs so much more work. There are, like, four or five different enemy types and they are all skeletons. If they ever finish it though it could be great, the loot and various upgrade systems are super well conceived

Boba Pearl posted:

Guys the keyboard vs controller debate is a solved problem, I have one of these and it's great:

Looks like it's about to straight up eat my hand. But I'm intrigued. I've always wanted to make a half-mouse half-gamepad controller, I feel like that could be huge

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've been binging on deckbuilders lately. Anyone have thoughts on Deep Sky Derelicts or SteamWorld Quest?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Everything is on sale but I just want to buy Wildermyth at full price! What's wrong with me?!

How many hours will I get out of Wildermyth in its current state?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zereth posted:

How insistent are you on having things be neatly lined up? Because Satisfactory makes that pretty hard.

Fine with spaghetti, I do functional, not neat.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Spermanent Record posted:

Everything is on sale but I just want to buy Wildermyth at full price! What's wrong with me?!

How many hours will I get out of Wildermyth in its current state?

I caved yesterday and bought it for full price. It's got a certain charm to it that I'm enjoying and I'm barely two hours in.

Also bought 'it takes two' and have been playing co-op with my lady and holy cow this is a fun game. It's absolutely beautiful and the gameplay is solid as gently caress. Story is a little dark at times but we sat down and knocked out 6 hours like it was nothing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It Takes Two is a very well designed romp which uses co-op mechanics very well and never keeps a gimmick around long enough to get stale, I just have two gripes about it.

1) The writing is bad. The actually story outline is fine, but none of the characters are remotely likeable.

2) It feels like they ran out of time and money at the end. It felt like there should have been a boss fight for the attic, then a grand finale level and final encounter. The fact that it didn't even have a final boss and instead went for an emotional climax that fell flat due to my first gripe left a bad taste in my mouth. (endgame spoilers)

Everything else about the game is fantastic though and well worth the money just for how good and fun and tightly designed it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

Zereth posted:

HarmB posted:

Fine with spaghetti, I do functional, not neat.

Satisfactory has a button to lineup a building to whatever has around when building so you can make perfect grids of buildings or just spaghetti all the way, whatever you prefer.