Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
he's a trackball wizard
there has to be a twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

why would anyone get the surface laptop 4?

comparing the model sold for £1300 at UK John Lewis with the surface book 2 I got for the same price (albeit at a post-christmas discount) 2 years ago

- worse screen with ~ half the resolution (2256 x 1504 vs 3000 x 2000)
- considerably crappier camera & no second camera
- worse overall battery capacity (47.4Wh vs 70Wh)
- discrete intel XE graphics instead of GTX 1050 (~45% slower albeit more power-efficient, but then again you have integrated graphics if you want that)
- slightly worse processor performance (newish meh i5 vs. old but solid i7)
- heavier (~30% or so)
- less solid body
- crappier keyboard and touchpad (mostly b/c of the above point)
- it's not detachable or possible to turn the screen around for table mode

and I guess

- slightly faster memory
- more SSD space out of the box, but no support for swapping for other m.2 drives

e: added link

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 25, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Seriously I don't know how people use laptops without a separate left and right mouse button. Lenovo goes one step further and bestows us with the godly middle mouse button too, perfect for opening new tabs with

The few times I managed to find a Dell or HP with a trackpoint I immediately 180ed once I saw they only had two mouse buttons above the trackpad

the best laptops don't need them because you can do a two-finger tap to right-click, which is definitely more elegant

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think *that* is where this'll fall down in any way that matters, the fraction of people who will follow the 7-step instructions to install a random apk from a forum is about the same as those who jailbreak their iphone in 2021 (and largely irrelevant)

i mostly meant if they put out another phone that's explicitly android-based. getting google play working is definitely something that a lot of (even relative non-nerds) do when they buy poo poo like kindle fires

more likely literally no one (but me, having already outed myself here) in the world will care and it'll be a junk feature only used by app generation packages to also add their trash to the windows store.

oh absolutely

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Private Speech posted:

comparing the model sold for £1300 at UK John Lewis with the surface book 2 I got for the same price (albeit at a post-christmas discount) 2 years ago

- discrete intel XE graphics instead of GTX 1050 (~45% slower albeit more power-efficient, but then again you have integrated graphics if you want that)
- heavier (~30% or so)
- less solid body

and I guess

- slightly faster memory
- more SSD space out of the box, but no support for swapping for other m.2 drives

lmao what garbagee

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Turgidson posted:

it's not really choice, the trackpoint requires a bit too much pressure and gets uncomfortable after a while.

Agreed with the default settings but make the sensitivity the lowest and the mouse speed the fastest. Should have an option for both deep in the mouse settings.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

oho, so windows 11 will run android apps natively, making it almost certain that microsoft will take another swing at phones in the not too distant future. despite the mess of previous attempts i welcome anything that might loosen googles defacto grip on the phone market in much of the world.

if anything it's an attempt to try and get a very late entry into the cheap school laptop market that chromebooks dominate. android devotees lol aren't going to want to have to hack the play store onto a lovely winphone-take-three and i doubt microsoft cares about the $50 third-world phone market

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Chris Knight posted:

he's a trackball wizard
there has to be a twist

a trackball wizard has such a supple wrist.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this tracks with my maintenance and cleaning of larger epsons. trying to get the cleaning done without a full service visits involved having a negotiation with a print header as it insisted i fix it and also that i couldn't possibly do it muself

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lol at having to install printer drivers in tyool 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but the checkbox is checked, it shouldnt be a problem anymore?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://ntdotdev.wordpress.com/2021/02/06/state-of-the-windows-how-many-layers-of-ui-inconsistencies-are-in-windows-10/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbh its kindof amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Seriously I don't know how people use laptops without a separate left and right mouse button. Lenovo goes one step further and bestows us with the godly middle mouse button too, perfect for opening new tabs with

The few times I managed to find a Dell or HP with a trackpoint I immediately 180ed once I saw they only had two mouse buttons above the trackpad

multi finger tap to click is a thing and works perfectly well on my xps

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
i'm sacrificing my surface pro x to selfhost windows 11.

if nothing else, it can't make it any worse than it is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

why

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

arm64 dotnet development work, it was the best (and only) computer for it for a while. as a computer it's not that terrible, the screen and speakers are great, as is the pen. but qualcomm chip sucks and drags the whole thing down.

now I have the m1 mac and run windows in a VM and it runs circles around it. but I need that for dev work.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the 3.1 icons in a dll is a bit of a cop out. how about the odbc excel file data source "select workbook" dialog instead:

mmmm windows 3.1 icons still in use, good to see.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chalks posted:

the 3.1 icons in a dll is a bit of a cop out. how about the odbc excel file data source "select workbook" dialog instead:

that whole layout is period correct, hello my little friend

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah that’s a surprisingly weak set of examples. the about dialog has been totally redesigned, but the page lists it because it still has a logo and a copyright notice?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

related, this is what the visual basic editor looks like in office for mac

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
big app teams always seem to have some rationalization for why they can’t just use standard widgets and absolutely must reimplement a ton of poo poo from scratch

i assume nobody wants to spend design time on the mac vb editor so the easiest solution is to figure out how to exactly duplicate the windows ui

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chalks posted:

*slaps codebase*

you're gonna get a lot of mileage out of these icons

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

big app teams always seem to have some rationalization for why they can’t just use standard widgets and absolutely must reimplement a ton of poo poo from scratch

i assume nobody wants to spend design time on the mac vb editor so the easiest solution is to figure out how to exactly duplicate the windows ui

if you dig deep enough, theres a win32.dll in there im sure

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah, it's gotta be some wholesale compatibility layer. nobody's gonna spend the time to lovingly create windows classic. runs like poo poo too.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

this fucker is a perennial

not least because I think it's still the only windows open file dialog available by default in xaml?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

josh04 posted:

not least because I think it's still the only windows open file dialog available by default in xaml?

i think it's difficult to use anything newer and still support windows xp

notepad++ just recently dropped xp support and that was one of the reasons given, anyway

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

instead of factoring out the windows api dependencies spread throughout the office code base they just ported the relevant portions of windows over. updates in windows are now and have perpetually been slowly migrated over to office for mac.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don’t worry there will be a new redesigned control panel but to get to the actual useful settings youll have to dig up the ol vista style one set to classic icons

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

god dont u love saving a new excel sheet and it brings up the useless but new-looking “recents” and when you click “browse” the computer chugs for 3 seconds and gives you the same one you’ve seen since you were a child

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

god dont u love saving a new excel sheet and it brings up the useless but new-looking “recents” and when you click “browse” the computer chugs for 3 seconds and gives you the same one you’ve seen since you were a child

yeah, after all of these other examples which i mostly think are kind of quaint, *that* is pure dumb annoyance

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

LibCrusher posted:

"what do you mean you don't want to save it to onedrive? fine."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

onenote for mac still doesn’t support local notebooks. you save your notes to onedrive or you go gently caress yourself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

my ex would save all her stuff to one notes on one drive

then one time it got corrupted mid upload and she lost all of it, hundreds of pages

ms tech support basically told her they can't do anything lmbo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

yeah, after all of these other examples which i mostly think are kind of quaint, *that* is pure dumb annoyance

press save --> recents --> and then it goes to the full page thing where you press browse to finally bring up the old school dialog that you wanted in the first place

congratulations microsoft for re-implementing windows explorer, but worse

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

gently caress office 365 and the integration with onedrive. trying to work on a document with multiple people? well your folder structure that we've trained you to use for the last 30 years is done with, now you have to manually janitor each and every document, and nobody knows where anything is, and trying to create new documents just creates a big web of files with no central repository

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wild EEPROM posted:

trying to create new documents just creates a big web of files with no central repository

what if i told you that central repository was sharepoint :unsmigghh:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Private Speech posted:

- heavier (~30% or so)
- less solid body

and I guess

- slightly faster memory

yeah idk why people buy non-apple laptops either

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

potential newjob gives you the option between whatever the top spec lenovo is or a macbook pro. what a choice!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

what i the macbook pro has a buttery keyboard
you know, the one where etters stop working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

r u ready to WALK posted:

what i the macbook pro has a buttery keyboard
you know, the one where etters stop working

ow about the failureeeee mode where sme buttns stp wrking but sme dubler tripleeeeeeee count