Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Space Kablooey posted:

I really don't get the hate for D64 other than it looks ugly.

There is too many things to collect. DK64 and Mario 64 ruined platforming games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The only platformers worth playing anyway were Pandemonium 1 & 2.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Altared State posted:

There is too many things to collect. DK64 and Mario 64 ruined platforming games.

they didn't ruin platforming games, they are the alpha and omega of platforming.

if you 100% DK64 and Mario 64 you have already experienced all that 3D platforming has to offer. you can release that portion of existence and move on to higher things

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Space Kablooey posted:

I really don't get the hate for D64 other than it looks ugly.

i actually really like the way Doom 64 looks at 144Hz on an IPS monitor. The ambient soundtrack is also very cool.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vakal posted:

The only platformers worth playing anyway were Pandemonium 1 & 2.

And Bubsy 2

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Rutibex posted:

they didn't ruin platforming games, they are the alpha and omega of platforming.

if you 100% DK64 and Mario 64 you have already experienced all that 3D platforming has to offer. you can release that portion of existence and move on to higher things

Mario odyssey is almost there. The only bad part about it is the insane number of moons you can collect, which inevitably leads to padding them out. Then again, like 80% of the moons are optional.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Mario odyssey is almost there. The only bad part about it is the insane number of moons you can collect, which inevitably leads to padding them out. Then again, like 80% of the moons are optional.

Mario Odyssey had no challenge whatsoever (except for the optional challenge levels at the end) and it didn't build on its ideas. I get the justification, that by repeating ideas or introducing new ones instead of building and mixing up previous ones you make it so players don't feel lost/confused and can go about objectives in the order of their own choosing. The problem is this makes the gameplay constantly feel the same, with no evolution and no increase of challenge that we've seen in basically every other Mario so far.

I still enjoy it and might play it again soon, but my reasons for liking it are the art and music, which remains fresh and has variety, as opposed to the gameplay.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Rutibex posted:

3d platformers universally suck, 2d or gtfo.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I never had an N64 so 3D platformers are a genre that I've kind of just entirely missed. I think the only one I've played is Mario Galaxy and it was...fine, an okay way to pass the time, but not something I could see being excited for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chglcu posted:

3d platformers universally suck, 2d or gtfo.

your going in the wrong direction you want more Ds not less
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayEd2s7ucB4

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Serious Sam 2 was the best one.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Does anyone play Wildermyth? Im trying to get into it and not digging it buts its got overwhelming positive reviews so im wondering if it takes a while to get going

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Serious Sam 2 was the best one.

Yep. A franchise with like 37 games and rereleases and the best one sold the worst

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Mario Odyssey had no challenge whatsoever (except for the optional challenge levels at the end) and it didn't build on its ideas. I get the justification, that by repeating ideas or introducing new ones instead of building and mixing up previous ones you make it so players don't feel lost/confused and can go about objectives in the order of their own choosing. The problem is this makes the gameplay constantly feel the same, with no evolution and no increase of challenge that we've seen in basically every other Mario so far.

I still enjoy it and might play it again soon, but my reasons for liking it are the art and music, which remains fresh and has variety, as opposed to the gameplay.

You're not wrong. Odyssey was not a hard game, but I dont think any of the 3d marios are particularly hard. What I liked about odyssey was that the game had a ton of different mechanics that kept the levels feeling fresh and unique.

Obviously cappy is the main mechanic but there are a ton of smaller ones like the 2d levels, the zippers, Goomba stacking, and others that. Any other developer would've picked 2-3 mechanics, used them to market the game, and let them wear out by the end. I admire that Nintendo resisted that temptation and had no problem letting some of the mechanics make a short appearance, then drop off completely.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Plus New Donk City is the best 3d Mario level I've ever played.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like most modern Nintendo games, Mario Odyssey is easy to get to the credits of, and then it starts treating you like a grown-up.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't think mario would benefit from an intense challenge because its a game for little kids

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't think mario would benefit from an intense challenge because its a game for little kids

The Fludd-Free challenges of Mario Sunshine would agree with you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nintendo should make a seperate line of waluigi platformers for pro-gamers

itry
Aug 23, 2019

runnypoops posted:

Does anyone play Wildermyth? Im trying to get into it and not digging it buts its got overwhelming positive reviews so im wondering if it takes a while to get going

Read the negative reviews and decide. Apparently it uses procedural storytelling, which sounds awful.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Rutibex posted:

Nintendo should make a seperate line of waluigi platformers for pro-gamers

This but instead it’s all of Nintendo’s IPs and each is replaced by Waluigi. To let everyone know this is for Adult Nintendo Kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cracker King posted:

This but instead it’s all of Nintendo’s IPs and each is replaced by Waluigi. To let everyone know this is for Adult Nintendo Kids.

WaluigiWare?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Waluigis Mansion
Waluigi Party
Waluigi Kart
Dr. Waluigi
The Legend of Zelda : Waluigis Awakening

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I can't wait for Waluigi: Dread

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Waluigi and the Unwanted Erection

edit: this isn't fanfiction.com

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Super Mario Odyssey is perfect and it's only fault is that it raised the bar way too high and now 3D World looks like an indie ripoff.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Unpopular (?) Videogame Opinion: There need to be more hiphop music in games.

e: this includes weeb games too :evilbuddy:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

I'm waiting for the gritty reboot of Parappa the Rappa

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Zarya is the most attractive Overwatch character

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its actually roadhog

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Zarya is the most attractive Overwatch character

Zarya and Mei.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Caesar Saladin posted:

its actually roadhog

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The most attractive character in Overwatch is *turns off your monitor* :blush:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

its actually junkrat

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

For people who can't handle the whole Hog, the Junkrat is a good lite version.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Wally, Nintendo need to just ditch the old outfit and make this his permanent look. Just change the shoes and gloves and it works in anything. It's amazing and they even included the trademark rose.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Workaday Wizard posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 confirmed for best game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

runnypoops posted:

I like it, but I think it definitely isn't for everyone. I play it in fairly short bursts and I enjoy watching the characters grow and change, and the writing charms me. If you're not digging the writing, or the fairly simple combat system (I like it but even I, a non-combat-lover, can see that it's basic as hell) and you're not finding that you care about your little people, then I say refund. You can probably get a dozen cheap games right now for the money and have yourself a blast.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lodin posted:

Speaking of Wally, Nintendo need to just ditch the old outfit and make this his permanent look. Just change the shoes and gloves and it works in anything. It's amazing and they even included the trademark rose.

I might be crazy but I think the new Mario Golf looks graphically bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Workaday Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CugyaQzmx8

be careful what you wish for