Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve done a fair bit of online browsing since the last time you said this, and it appears a brief vertical hold is fine?

I had an angled lip hold last time you pointed this out and I truly appreciated the heads up—but these appear to be correct and safe holds since I just removed hooks and took a 2s pic before releasing?

Also there are a ton of vertical lip holds in this thread (on this page even) yet you only reply to mine? What’s the deal?

Yeah sorry that wasn't meant in a mean way. Yours was just the most recent post with them. I try to bring it up over and over because people miss it somehow. Here's the current info on lip holds and damage:

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/

Edit: sniping for healthier fish.

Edit 2: I have hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome so I feel this quote from the article:

""For humans, spraining an ankle, dislocating a shoulder or any other soft tissue injury can take a much longer time to repair and recover from than a clean break of a bone. In fact, these injuries can increase the potential for reinjury and, in many cases, cause further instability.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Double post and also something that comes up over and over. I need a Bluegill rod. Watching other people catch all the fish I've grown out is making me envious.

I need a rod, a reel, bobbers, weights, circle hooks, and a container of the fake grubs they hit like crack (can't recall the brand i'll know it when I see it.) I already own a pocketknife and needlenose pliers. Am I forgetting anything? Please tell me what to buy Goons! I wanna catch some fish. Thanks.

Also, as a reminder, this pond is catch & release and I've been feeding it for years. Lotta Bluegill up to 8", Largemouth up to 4lb, and Bullheads up to 10". I don't know what the Bass population is like, I've only seen 2 caught in the last 10 years, 1 4" about 7 years ago and the 4lb one last year. The Bullheads join in the feeding so their population should be robust. Bluegill you toss your line in and usually get a bite immediately. They are vast in number, voracious, and they're only going to get bigger. According to a friend of mine fishing here feels like cheating. I think it feels like fun.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Desert Bus posted:

Yeah sorry that wasn't meant in a mean way. Yours was just the most recent post with them. I try to bring it up over and over because people miss it somehow. Here's the current info on lip holds and damage:

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/]

No worries, I didn't think you were being mean I just thought it was weird you never said anything to anyone else.

By the way your linked article still concludes completely vertical holds are ok.

Thanks for bringing it up though--I think we need to be having these discussions to make sure we are being humane stewards of wildlife. The fish I post are held vertically for like 10 seconds while I unhook and photograph them--then they go straight back home.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Being quick about it seems to be key. I just see all these pictures of vertical holds and my brain pictures the fish deciding to thrash around causing the damage to itself. They're strong for their size, pretty dumb, and don't like being out of the water for some reason. I realize it's OK, I realize it probably works best in some situations, but it still makes me nervous.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of... When i catch a fish im going to keep i dispatch it as fast as possible. Usually bonk its head on the rim of the cooler when im surf fishing. It's so second nature and quick: unhook, bonk, into the ice slurry. Then rebait and cast. Takes seconds. It's brutal but over very fast. When i was a kid fishing for walleye my grandfather showed me that way.

What methods do you guys use when keeping a food fish?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
It's a lot easier to get a gentle handle on fish for a photo of you aren't the camera man. I don't like handling fish one handed so if I'm solo I generally don't take pictures or take them from inside the net.

https://youtu.be/6iWjJ1Z_YIo&t=36m12s

This guy has had me rethink the way I've handled fish, especially when I'm practicing catch and release. It doesn't mean much if you're causing fatal injuries to the fish after all.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Speaking of... When i catch a fish im going to keep i dispatch it as fast as possible. Usually bonk its head on the rim of the cooler when im surf fishing. It's so second nature and quick: unhook, bonk, into the ice slurry. Then rebait and cast. Takes seconds. It's brutal but over very fast. When i was a kid fishing for walleye my grandfather showed me that way.

What methods do you guys use when keeping a food fish?

Brain it with a club, cut the gills to bleed it, put on ice as soon as possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Brain it with a club, cut the gills to bleed it, put on ice as soon as possible.

A few breed of freshwater fish just don't taste right until its been bled, so yeah, cutting the gills before putting it on ice is best. My usual cadence is catch, livewell/stringer, cut the girls while putting them on ice, transport home and clean them.

I feel like they die so fast after cutting their gills that the rest is pretty pointless and probably worse for them in certain circumstance.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sickening posted:

A few breed of freshwater fish just don't taste right until its been bled, so yeah, cutting the gills before putting it on ice is best. My usual cadence is catch, livewell/stringer, cut the girls while putting them on ice, transport home and clean them.

I feel like they die so fast after cutting their gills that the rest is pretty pointless and probably worse for them in certain circumstance.

Maybe bashing them is unnecessary but it feels more humane to me to stun them before cutting gills. I don't like keeping them alive if I know that I'm keeping them. I live in a colder climate than you so that may be a factor in terms of potential for spoilage.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
This may be a no-brainer for you guys but on the off chance someone may need to know this, adding saltwater to your cooler ice not only creates a bath for the fish to be totally submerged in but it's also a lot colder than just plain ice. The faster the chill the better the fillet.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
What species of fish do y'all bleed? I've spent most my life eating prominently walleye and smallies and we just clubbed and filleted them.
I've just taken to brook trout which are the first species I've had to gut and clean so that's been a bit of an experience but still no gill cutting.

I've only seen it a few times and I gotta admit it makes me a bit squeamish.. Seeing blood squirt out of an artery sure makes me feel a lot more closely related to the poor buggers.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I always bleed largemouth and smallies as soon as i catch them if I'm keeping them. Bass are already not the most firm or tasty fish, and the faster they bleed out the better.

If it's killed quickly and bled the flesh will be paler and more firm. If it struggles and stresses for a few hours before being cleaned or will have mushier flesh that is dark with blood

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Got a handful of barracuda ( :haw: ) yesterday. 3 keepers, you can see the third on the ground towards the bow. To add to keep em cold/bleed em chat, I was keepin my sack in the front bait well, didn't have any bait in it cause just about everyone was doin surface iron. Keepin them cooler even without bleeding them definitely had an effect on how much blood seeped into the meat. Got a couple extra from the bonus box which weren't chilled, and they definitely had more blood in the meat.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

it's such an easy thing to do, I bleed every fish I keep. *snip* *snip* into the bucket, done.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Math You posted:

What species of fish do y'all bleed? I've spent most my life eating prominently walleye and smallies and we just clubbed and filleted them.
I've just taken to brook trout which are the first species I've had to gut and clean so that's been a bit of an experience but still no gill cutting.

I've only seen it a few times and I gotta admit it makes me a bit squeamish.. Seeing blood squirt out of an artery sure makes me feel a lot more closely related to the poor buggers.

Mullet and sharks are the two I've bled, but sharks is more sever spinal cord with a sharp knife and then immediately gut and bleed then throw on ice.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
howdy, fishergoons! got a weird question for you people.
for context, I: do not fish as a hobby, have only fished a couple of times, and am only loosely familiar w fishing practices, so feel free to explain technical/esoteric stuff as if i were a moron.
i'm a long-time metalworker & mechanical designer, and one of my ongoing projects of the past year or so has been developing a hobbyist-friendly, zero-machining-required 'Rapid Tooling' workflow- it makes use of high-resolution resin 3D printing using a high-temp engineering resin meant for plastic injection molding, as well as tin-bismuth low-melting "prototyping alloys" (and potentially electroforming/metal plating down the road), to allow the manufacture of custom short-run molds/tooling extremely quickly and cheaply by typical 'producing production tooling' standards. The original concept was limited to making short-run tooling for sheet metal forming, but the concept works well enough that I'm exploring also directly casting oddball/bespoke functional items using tin-bismuth alloys as well.
heres a recent test pour of a new multi-part mold w floating core inserts i was testing recently, to give you an idea what i'm talking about here; only a partial success on this pour, but the two good parts are flawless. screws dont actually make sense to cast as functional parts, i know, but i wanted to see how much fidelity i could get in a tiny detailed part. my printer's build surface is very small so all my tools are appropriately lilliputian, the entire mold is only1.25" inches long at its widest point. the complete mold fits comfortably in the lil lighter pocket on my pants pocket, so i can bring it to interviews to delight hiring managers. it's ridiculous

(i post a lot of crap like this in diy/hobbys' 3d printing and metalworking threads, chekkit)

mostly, though, i've struggled to find a legit functional application that accommodates the very small parts and low-melting alloys i'm limited to here, so it's all been arbitrary "proofs of concept" so far.

...enter me running into a spread of boutique metal jig heads today, and realizing i've found A Very Good Application Indeed, but don't know enough about jig fishing to turn out anything useful. so i turn to you good people, and ask: what do you wanna see? what would be cool? if you could materially conjure up any sort of ridiculous fishing widget your heart could desire, just by posting about it, what would it be?
i can definitely make jig heads, sinkers, anything that's based on a metal casting with or without an embedded hook/eye loop/etc is in my wheelhouse here. I'm decent w CAD so i can design most anything in my head that isn't an insanely detailed art model-kinda thing, but i can also chop together stuff from free 3d models online, so i could also reasonably make, idk, a jig head with the noggin of michaelangelo's david replacing a plain ball, to pick a stupid example. build me a fancy-boy high-speed-low-drag gimmick jig by thread consensus. whatever good ideas you people have, i'm open to.

also: how common/popular is casting your own sinkers/lures, vs. just buying them off the shelf? the molds i can make seem dramatically better in some regards than the existing cast-your-own mass-produced tooling that I've been finding online, which all looks like cast zamak tooling with really rough finishes on the mold cavities, it's a duplicate-of-a-duplicate situation that makes for really rough low-detail parts. my molds can hold far more surface detail, and the overall finish will be much smoother and cleaner. metal molds are definitely more durable/long-lasting, but how many hobbyists are casting hundreds of their own weights? people might actually be more interested in the tooling itself that I can make, vs. the parts, but I don't know the scene.

and: what sort of interest, in a broad cross-hobby sense, do you reckon there would there be for something like single-run custom-cast lures to commemorate special events or meet-ups/gatherings, custom monogrammed lures/hardware, that sort of thing? making detailed tooling for something you only want 15 parts of isnt normally ever economical, i would assume- but i can come up with an idea for a part in the morning and have produced the tooling and cast a part using it by dinner. my assumption is that a pastime as Dadly as fishing surely must have a need for Special Commemorative Lures, For Me And The Guys, On Our Special Weekend Away (It Even Has Our Names!) or sth in that neighbourhood

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 28, 2021

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
my starting negotiation position re: what to design will be "a mold featuring a comprehensive spread of sinker weights, except the weight is a ballsack"

please for the love of god help me make something less terrible

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Sign me up for some ball sack jigs!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

OH MAN IS THIS TRUE. DO THE PEOPLE HUNGER FOR OBSCURE JIG TOOLING

also i am reading back a bit in the thread and lmao

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Today was a big day for me. I caught my dickspoon grail fish, a chub.

of course of course i am retreading goon-trod ground here, with Dick and/or Balls concepts to boot. we are an extremely predictable people. and kudos to A Pack of Kobolds for the dickspoons, natch

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 28, 2021

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds is the local lead smelting man, he may be able to give you guidance.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm extremely into this and I have kicked the bloated corpse of the tacklecraft thread.

e: vv don't even worry about it; the other one had been dormant for a while, and there's always a lot of conversation topic bleedover in the fishergoon community. :justpost:

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 28, 2021

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
oh excellent, didn't realize there was a better home for this stuff. i'll stick future updates in there for sure

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Caught my first fish with a fly. It has taken so loving long and I'm so excited about this tiny fish.
Dusk at a small lake, no one else around, water like a sheet of glass, rises everywhere. I wet waded up to my knees and the little beauty cutthroat took a dry fly on my third cast.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

therunningman posted:

Caught my first fish with a fly. It has taken so loving long and I'm so excited about this tiny fish.
Dusk at a small lake, no one else around, water like a sheet of glass, rises everywhere. I wet waded up to my knees and the little beauty cutthroat took a dry fly on my third cast.

Grats!!!! First trout on a dry fly is a huge milestone. Also, ditch the net. You don't need it and it's just another bulky thing to carry. Doubly so if you're wet wading.

I still remember my first one. A 9" brown twice refused the horrible abomination I was misguidedly throwing before reluctantly taking it. Dumbest fish in the creek.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

my starting negotiation position re: what to design will be "a mold featuring a comprehensive spread of sinker weights, except the weight is a ballsack"

You're in the DickSpoon thread my friend. You're safe here. Just make FishNuts a reality and come back. We're Goons, do you REALLY think we won't be interested?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Made reservations to go fishing out of West Port, WA on Friday. Pretty excited but I got to change my line out from braid to mono due to too many anchoring snags I guess.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

You've wandered into the wrong thread for classy suggestions, friend.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nestharken posted:

You've wandered into the wrong thread for classy suggestions, friend.

Yes hello I recently open-poured soft plastic dicks to use as trailers like pork rinds. We are blazing dicklure trails.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Yes hello I recently open-poured soft plastic dicks to use as trailers like pork rinds. We are blazing dicklure trails.

So can I buy some paddletails and trout snax?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

So can I buy some paddletails and trout snax?

Hopefully by the end of the week; real life and heat waves have delayed my usual best intentions. I'm pleased to report that I have collected three different glitters I'm going to use for extra sparkly, though!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
sigh

(still gotta clean the mesh up and create a mold design for it before i can cast any)

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015
For those of you who use baitcasters, which would you recommend as a first baitcasting reel for someone with a budget of ~$150 to spend on the reel? I was looking at the Daiwa Tatula and the Shimano SLX 150 XT, among others, but wanted more opinions from people who know more about casting reels than myself. Mainly looking to fish for bass, pike, gar, walleye, and maybe some catfish.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Had my first proper fishing of the summer some weeks ago. Caught a pike from a pond that made for a nice dinner. As for the question how to finish off the fish that get eaten that somebody asked previously, I also use club for the job.

AngelesXO fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 29, 2021

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Ambrose Burnside posted:

sigh

(still gotta clean the mesh up and create a mold design for it before i can cast any)

Lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ventus posted:

For those of you who use baitcasters, which would you recommend as a first baitcasting reel for someone with a budget of ~$150 to spend on the reel? I was looking at the Daiwa Tatula and the Shimano SLX 150 XT, among others, but wanted more opinions from people who know more about casting reels than myself. Mainly looking to fish for bass, pike, gar, walleye, and maybe some catfish.

The Slx is a great reel. For just a little more you can get the slx dc , which might be the best reel for the money right now.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I was told by a worker at the local shop here to avoid any non-all metal baitcasters as the other ones will end up breaking after a season or two - I'm not sure how much credence that deserves but it seems logical

Is it true fishygoons?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Slotducks posted:

I was told by a worker at the local shop here to avoid any non-all metal baitcasters as the other ones will end up breaking after a season or two - I'm not sure how much credence that deserves but it seems logical

Is it true fishygoons?

I’ll let you know in a year. I’m putting some hard fishing on this little black max combo I picked up a couple months ago.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Total nonsense. That would only be true if you also use your rod and reel for clubbing seals.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

AngelesXO posted:

Had my first proper fishing of the summer some weeks ago. Caught a pike from a pond that made for a nice dinner. As for the question how to finish off the fish that get eaten that somebody asked previously, I also use club for the job.

Nice pike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Dik Hz posted:

Grats!!!! First trout on a dry fly is a huge milestone. Also, ditch the net. You don't need it and it's just another bulky thing to carry. Doubly so if you're wet wading.

I still remember my first one. A 9" brown twice refused the horrible abomination I was misguidedly throwing before reluctantly taking it. Dumbest fish in the creek.

Thanks! A 9" brown is amazing for a first catch. Brown trout is an introduced species in a few streams around here, I'd love to catch one some time.
You're right about the net, I am always a little hesitant to bring it but I found it helpful to gently contain the little guy when removing the hook.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

sigh

...and now I'm getting excited about gear fishing again.