Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

There's more BS like that the Cube is sentient and represent itself in the form of a little girl, who's been travelling around some dream realm inside the cube with the real Cap who has amnesia, and also Antman hides himself inside the cube fragment to explode the real Cap out of the realm when evil Cap tries to assemble the cube but :shrug:

so that's where blizzard got the idea for the sunwell storyline. it's like poetry, it rhymes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Communist Thoughts posted:

Weren't there like suits and tophats and stuff or am I misremembering it's been ages and I only saw it once

Yes, but mostly in the generic republic city which was basically new York. When we see the Earth Queen and the Di Li they're still in their classic garb.
It's also been forever so I don't really remember.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zerilan posted:

Iirc in the comics, Republic City mostly begins from multiple companies building factories in a resource rich region, and the industrial technology advancement comes from factories run by non-benders pushing to keep up with ones using bending as the main labor.

IIRC it started out as Earth Kingdom territory colonised by the Fire Nation that ended up going independent after the war since the populations had mixed so much.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, but mostly in the generic republic city which was basically new York. When we see the Earth Queen and the Di Li they're still in their classic garb.

Avatar's always had a big mix of cultures, some Western stuff included. There's the Foggy Swamp Tribe having Southern accents, the Water Tribes being a mix of Inuit and various indigenous peoples and also Venice, Fire Nation mixing Imperial Japan, China, Thailand and with the geography of Iceland, and so on. And Earthbenders having full on American style pro wrestling.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

HootTheOwl posted:

well then korra is cancelled im sorry

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Josh Christ posted:

Never forget that the guy who created rocket raccoon and got nothing for it was going to law school at night in order to help with the union he was organizing at marvel when he got a horrific brain injury after he fell while roller skating. Bill Mantlo is one of the greats

the story of Mantlo after he got hit by the car is difficult. His family struggling with health insurance and trying to decide if rehabilitation was possible and affordable, or if they'd be better selling off his assets to qualify him for long term care under Medicaid.
https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2011/11/07/tragic-tale/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/k_k_slider_/status/1407362722967310338

this is supposedly from a casting call apparently netflix is stripping out most of the original parts of last airbenders premise for the remake to instead just do boring heros journey bullshit

wtf why

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

whoa this Bo Burnham special definitely has some heavy poo poo in lol. like it's weird that Netflix optioned something with suicidal ideation in it but I'm here for it.

it’s very anodyne and tame unless you’re 15 I suppose. some of the songs have catchy tunes but they’re all trite/hack

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

indigi posted:

it’s very anodyne and tame unless you’re 15 I suppose. some of the songs have catchy tunes but they’re all trite/hack

this is a wild take. so as I get older I should get more comfortable with the idea of suicide?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who said anything about being ok with suicide? I said it’s well-trod ground

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
all I'm saying is it's a weird move for a major carrier to option content with the sincere words "I want to shoot myself in the head" from the main performer who isn't even really playing a character.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

all I'm saying is it's a weird move for a major carrier to option content with the sincere words "I want to shoot myself in the head" from the main performer who isn't even really playing a character.

idk donnie darko did pretty well in the rental market

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

briefly thought we were talking about persona 3 for some reason

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

not really, Netflix’s primary demographic invented the acronym kms

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC it started out as Earth Kingdom territory colonised by the Fire Nation that ended up going independent after the war since the populations had mixed so much.

It wasn't part of the original colonies, but after the first colony went independent a Fire Nation businessman and Toph's dad teamed up to build a refinery on what used to be sacred Air Nomad land.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad, that people watched inside instead of loving their hot dad

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I saw Fast 9. It shouldn't be a spoiler, considering the trailers, that -----Han----- is back from the dead. Unfortunately, they did this retcon by having him join the CIA.

Otherwise, the movie was fun, and rewards you for paying attention to the movies since the first with all retconning and additional backstories. It almost feels like a fanfic, but in a good way. (Technically this was the first movie since 2 Fast not written by Chris Morgan.)

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Jun 27, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
please let cinemas die

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I saw Fast 9. It's shouldn't be a spoiler, considering the trailers, that -----Han----- is back from the dead. Unfortunately, they did this retcon by having him join the CIA.

Otherwise, the movie was fun, and rewards you for paying attention to the movies since the first with all retconning and additional backstories. It almost feels like a fanfic, but in a good way. (Technically this was the first movie since 2 Fast not written by Chris Morgan.)

Mr Nobody isn’t CIA cause in the world of FF the CIA are bad guys. they straight up say that the CIA operated the drug trade in Latin America at one point it was wild

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Judakel posted:

please let cinemas die

spoken like someone who never went to the second-run cinema in the mall at 8pm on a tuesday for a dollar

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
also as climate change gets worse and retail malls continue to die off, movie theatres will be one of the only places for poor people to access air conditioning in many parts of the world, so really, if you hate movie theatres, you're a classist. sorry

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

still find it deeply funny that the fast and the furious crew works for some deeply shady international organization with a superpowered spy satellite that can see literally everything that happens on the planet and it doesnt seem to occur to anybody these might be bad people

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Some Guy TT posted:

still find it deeply funny that the fast and the furious crew works for some deeply shady international organization with a superpowered spy satellite that can see literally everything that happens on the planet and it doesnt seem to occur to anybody these might be bad people

family and coronas tho

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Korra is on the whole rather bad and features mainly missed opportunities to go places that are interesting. Unfortunately, the writers are super invested in center liberalism, and really can't get past that to properly examine the ideas that they bring up with any depth.

That said, Korra's voice actress was concurrently in a show called Burning Love, which was a spoof of reality shows, so we get mash ups like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P454II1bagY

All that said, if you've got a movie length critique in you, this is a pretty thorough explanation of why Korra stunk, how its politics were bad, and how it managed to fail, especially when compared to the original Avatar series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhS4a11jZOg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol at watching a hour long video about a children's cartoon.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Russian Batman who kills billionaires but what's the catch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-0j-mk3AwI

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Aglet56 posted:

also as climate change gets worse and retail malls continue to die off, movie theatres will be one of the only places for poor people to access air conditioning in many parts of the world, so really, if you hate movie theatres, you're a classist. sorry

huge brain

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol at watching a hour long video about a children's cartoon.

I have a feeling it could probably be shortened to less than 10 minutes

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Good soup! posted:

I have a feeling it could probably be shortened to less than 10 minutes

Almost definitely.

The short version is: "Korra is bad because the creators won't engage with the implications of minorities being justifiably angry about their lack of privilege and the only critique they can make is that aesthetically it looks bad and the guy in charge is an rear end in a top hat. They also don't understand that anarchy is boring and dull when presented as simply a lack of any power structure without the concurrent mutual aid that accompanies any serious attempt at anarchism, and they fail to make fascism not look cool and effective when whiny centrist liberalism is the only thing you have to offer. And also pandering to the LGBTQ demographic in literally the last couple seconds of your show is a coward's move, because it allows you to bask in the adoration of progressiveness while simultaneously dodging any professional consequences because the show is over."

But when you start adding in examples, digressions about similar media, an entire separate essay on why Avatar was such a hit... poo poo adds up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Korra's bad politics down to one image:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

indigi posted:

Mr Nobody isn’t CIA cause in the world of FF the CIA are bad guys. they straight up say that the CIA operated the drug trade in Latin America at one point it was wild

pre Trump there were some pretty good CIA Is Bad action movies like RED and The Losers, heck even Captain America: Winter Soldier did poo poo that would be verboten under the current MCU

Echo Chamber posted:

Korra's bad politics down to one image:

religious fundamentalism and fascist nationalism are good actually

Henry Rollins Bald Guy Character is cool because he’s essentially just the Serbian Black Hand, rightfully kills an inbred monarch, incidentally causes a war

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Jun 27, 2021

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't watch the hour long video essay, but I interpreted the season 4 villain not as fascist, but as a liberal's Communist China analogue, all the way down to the whole "sending the PLA to annex Hong Kong/Taiwan by force" final battle set piece.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Most media is pretty much made in the concoction of keywords and trends for the safest guarantee of a profit.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

pre Trump there were some pretty good CIA Is Bad action movies like RED and The Losers, heck even Captain America: Winter Soldier did poo poo that would be verboten under the current MCU

I saw RED recently and I didn't get the impression that it was saying "CIA is bad". Instead it seemed like it was painting the CIA as an inept organization which was being tricked against its will into being bad by evil individual actors, and when these individuals are gotten rid off then the organization can go back to being good again.

You see this a lot in different media actually, including real-life news reporting. Organizations like the CIA and the military aren't actually evil, they're just well-meaning but incompetent! And so, time and time again, they get dragged or tricked into bad situations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

well i went to the MOVIES, IN PERSON. what a concept i know

anyways we watched a quiet place 2 and its as unnecessary as sequels get. basically a complete retread of the first one but worse in every single way

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

highly unlikely considering jim from the office isnt in it

uh hes not in it is he i know his characters supposed to be dead but

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

highly unlikely considering jim from the office isnt in it

uh hes not in it is he i know his characters supposed to be dead but

actually the movie opens with a completely pointless flashback whose sole purpose is so that jim can be in the movie and be a cool badass hero

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
of course it does. he's the primary writer on this one so he just wrote himself in

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

even Captain America: Winter Soldier did poo poo that would be verboten under the current MCU

CA:WS was a critique of the way the West gladly welcomed Nazis into its ranks post-WWII, and that Obama's drone program is extremely hosed up when you think about it. It remains among my favourite Marvel movies.

It's a shame Falcon & the Winter Soldier replaced that kind of courage (not the best word for it, but you know what I mean) with simpering centrism.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i watched four of these 20 minute videos about the creators of korra not understanding communisim, colonialism, anarchism and fascism and i don't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModX151Ipgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it really enhances the meme image if you know that tophs bullshitting about the first three villains having good ideas and that they werent presented as at all sympathetic until the fourth one shows up and everyones all sure shes a fascist but no one else is stepping up to solve the bandit problem