Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

that's a male luna moth. he's either resting, or exhausted and about to die. if he's been there for an entire day, probably the latter.

poor guy. hopefully he got to do the butterfly 69 beforehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Saw a luna moth crawling around with tiny, tiny little wings. I assume that's some sort of defect in metamorphosis rather than them waiting to unfurl? I took pics but probably won't post since it's a little tragic.

i wanna see the sad moth

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
If sad moth is a female a male might still be able to find her if she doesn't get eaten due to being grounded first, right? Maybe she can climb a tree or something.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Visting a friend, found a buddy

Found MILLIONS of buddies

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think it's male? It was crawling rapidly across the ground on a nature path.

It was a fairly rainy overcast day and lots of animals were out like rabbits and deer.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Definitely a male, I wonder what causes that? Damage to the pupa maybe?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it must be really disappointing to emerge after metamorphosis with no wings

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I've actually seen this once before a few years back when I was doing field work. Mudt be relatively common?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Moths and butterflies usually have pretty deflated stubby wings right after hatching from the pupa/chrysalis, so that is probably a freshly hatched example there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arAUDaQhW5E

Sometimes they do get hosed up during the hatching process though

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Slo-Tek posted:

Washington State Park, about an hour south of St. Louis, but all that stuff is pretty common and found within 50' of the park road. The Abbot's Sphinx was the only one I was surprised to see.

late but this rules, I go there at least once a year and have never seen any scorpions. do you have to, like, turn over logs?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Startled this dude out of a flowerpot while doing yardwork today. It clearly wasn't very happy with me. Going by the state list, I think it's a Fowler's Toad, but it's hard to tell without getting closer.

I don't have a picture of it because they're next to a busy road without any good place to stop, but there's some Canada Geese who have been raising their chicks at a pond nearby and it's been really cool watching the babies go from little fuzzlets to 3/4 scale adults over the past month or so.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Tjadeth posted:

late but this rules, I go there at least once a year and have never seen any scorpions. do you have to, like, turn over logs?

Yup, the dry glade areas, lots of big flat rocks to flip, I'd say probably one in five rocks flipped had a scorpion. Flipping logs gets you more snakes and salamanders. 20 minutes of poking around is going to find you some cool stuff. Put the rocks and logs back exactly where you found them, so they stay a viable hidey spot for critters for me to find next time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
make sure they clear out of there first so you don't mush'em when you put it back tho

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My crow friends have had their baby out of the nest the last couple of days learning the ropes and the kid is a huge dork

e: he got stuck in a cedar tree and then picked a tuft of cedar tree that was kind of nest like and tried to sit there and make baby noises and get someone to bring him dinner, but it didn't work

here is mom crow

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 18, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just moved to Toronto and I have no idea what anything is. Can anyone ID this dragonfly?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Twelve spotted skimmer op or maybe a painted skimmer

Mmmm maybe a common whitetail female

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

dragonflies have the absolute coolest common names

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Mmmm maybe a common whitetail female

Definitely this one, thanks!

Also, I spotted my first stripey boi today! :stoked:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

free hubcaps posted:

dragonflies have the absolute coolest common names

Hell even the name dragonfly is pretty awesome

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Good critter day!

I was doing some yard work and I thought I saw a bit of spruce branch moving in the mulch, which would have been rather unusual. It turned out to be something almost as unusual!

I've never seen a caterpillar like that before! I was so excited that my wife heard me exclaim "wow!" from inside the house. I considered taking in and keeping it to see what it turns into, but I'm not confident in my caterpillar rearing skills so I let it go free. I'm in central Alberta if anyone has any guesses.

Also caught a juvenile pileated woodpecker on my morning dog walk.

Video

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Good critter day!

I was doing some yard work and I thought I saw a bit of spruce branch moving in the mulch, which would have been rather unusual. It turned out to be something almost as unusual!

I've never seen a caterpillar like that before! I was so excited that my wife heard me exclaim "wow!" from inside the house. I considered taking in and keeping it to see what it turns into, but I'm not confident in my caterpillar rearing skills so I let it go free. I'm in central Alberta if anyone has any guesses.

Based on your location, I'd guess it's a Single-lined Emerald (Nemoria unitaria) caterpillar. There are a couple of other Nemoria caterpillars that look similar, but I don't think they're found in Alberta.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I am up in NY and just took a walk through an area of woods infested with gypsy moths, which I had never run into before. The bright sunlight shining through barren trees, the furry things crawling everywhere, and the constant rain-like pitter patter of their droppings falling had an almost apocalyptic character to it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
this isn’t exactly a critter but we planted a five foot tall magnolia tree back when pandemic kicked off. it had a real rough winter, losing an entire stem (of two) to the INSANE 27 inch snowfall we got in December

But it went for broke this spring, regrew an entire new lateral shoot, and finally had the guts to flower this week

You’re doin ok lil buddy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
still applies because you've got a critter in the bottom right!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
omg I thought it was a dead leaf or something

you clever beetle you!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scarodactyl posted:

I am up in NY and just took a walk through an area of woods infested with gypsy moths, which I had never run into before. The bright sunlight shining through barren trees, the furry things crawling everywhere, and the constant rain-like pitter patter of their droppings falling had an almost apocalyptic character to it.

I lived in Connecticut for a couple years when I was a kid and the gypsy moths were just gross.

Here in my native Oregon they will do aerial spraying if a gypsy moth is detected, and we've been able to keep them from getting established.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I heard a ruckus in the alley and saw this baby crow flopping about pathetically:

Something appears to be wrong with the feathers on both of its wings and it wasn't doing well, so I took it to the wildlife rescue. Good luck little buddy!

I was delighted to see that the rose bush I walk past on my way into the office was abuzz with bees this morning, then I spotted a cool spider, then I got sad when I noticed the inevitable collision. That's nature, I guess. :smith:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Good lord I don't think I've ever seen a crab spider that size, nice find!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If it's at all comforting, it really doesn't look like anything is wrong with the baby crow. Regardless, the rescue is the right place to take him! Maybe there's something I can't see in the photos.

that spider thicc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
will they let you know what happens with the baby crow? or are you not able to find out once you surrender an animal to them?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

No spiders here, just us flowers.

That’s an awesome shot! Is this in Alberta? It looks very similar to a triangle-faced crab spider I saw in Waianae a few months back.

Stickman posted:

Here's a crab spider we found hiking in the Waianae Kai Forest Reserve on leeward O'ahu:

I'm pretty sure it's a Misumenops species endemic to Hawai'i because it seems to be the same as these folks' awesome pictures. Apparently there's at least 16 endemic Misumenops, but I haven't been able to find an online guide or even pictures for most of them.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 23, 2021

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

If it's at all comforting, it really doesn't look like anything is wrong with the baby crow. Regardless, the rescue is the right place to take him! Maybe there's something I can't see in the photos.

...and this is how I learned that typical feather development is weird looking, with progression from the tip to the base. It looked like a bunch of its wing feathers were stripped of plumage but I guess that's normal. In any case it wouldn't have gotten back to a nest in its present state and there are plenty of cats, coyotes, and unfriendly corvids around so I don't feel too bad about intervening.

Captain Invictus posted:

will they let you know what happens with the baby crow? or are you not able to find out once you surrender an animal to them?

They never have in the past, though they might post about it on their socials if it does well.

Stickman posted:

That’s an awesome shot! Is this in Alberta? It looks very similar to a triangle-faced crab spider I saw in Waianae a few months back.

Thanks! Yes, it was in Alberta. Mine looks a bit flatter but they are quite similar. Yours looks sort of like a hybrid crab and jumping spider which I enjoy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been putting water out for the birds/squirrels and they seem to appreciate it. The crows now take any treat I give them over to the water dish and drop it in first before they eat it. I saw them do it w/ dogfood first, and thought they were softening them up, but then I saw them do the same thing w/ blueberries and bites of apple. And this has me wondering if they liked the fruit cup I gave them so much that they're trying to recreate it through bird alchemy.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Found this little dude chilling on my catnip. I believe from some google-fu that it's a Fluffy Tail Planthopper. I'd never seen one before, little thing was dragging that feather duster looking tail around.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Got a picture of one of the gypsy moths. They're kind of cool-looking in spite of everything.

Also saw:

This ichenumon(?), which seemed to be up to something in a curled leaf, but if so wouldn't do it while I was around.

A type of damselfly I don't think we have down in NC. The spot on their tail is so bright it looks fluorescent. When they fly in shadows it looks like two little spots floating in midair, sort of like a phantom cranefly.

spider8reath
Aug 17, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

A type of damselfly I don't think we have down in NC. The spot on their tail is so bright it looks fluorescent. When they fly in shadows it looks like two little spots floating in midair, sort of like a phantom cranefly.

Bluets are hard, but I think this might be a female Stream Bluet (Enallagma exsulans)

Speaking of dragonflies/damselflies, I saw a bunch of Great Blue Skimmers (Libellula vibrans) on a trip to a cypress swamp in southern Illinois this weekend:

Almost all of them were the immature form like this; I only saw one or two that were actually blue.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Love these study shots

Good work, dragon and damselflies are the coolest

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The crows left me my first gift this past week: part of a dead bird, disemboweled and gift wrapped w/ its intestines

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
You are their God now. They are providing sacrifice in these trying times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

poverty goat posted:

The crows left me my first gift this past week: part of a dead bird, disemboweled and gift wrapped w/ its intestines

That's more likely the work of your neighborhood Cooper's Hawk. Or just an rear end in a top hat cat.